Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Dick Gautier, best known for playing Hymie the Robot in Get Smart, dead at age 85.

I'm sad. He was very talented and handsome. I remember him from Tattletales, of all things. And for some reason, I have an image of him dressed as Robin Hood, but I can't recall the show. RIP, Dick.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, ennui said:

For some reason, I have an image of him dressed as Robin Hood, but I can't recall the show. RIP, Dick.

From BW Manilowe's link: "In 1975, Gautier starred as Robin Hood on the short-lived ABC series When Things Were Rotten, co-created by Mel Brooks, who, of course, had launched Get Smart as well."

• Love 5

I think he originated the role of Conrad Birdie in Bye, Bye Birdie on Broadway. Whenever the movie is on I wonder why they went with the anemic, sexless actor (sorry, actor whose name I never bothered to learn) instead of Gautier who would've been perfect. And if he didn't originate the role, he would've been so perfect for it that I can't imagine anyone else in the part.

I remember back When Things Were Rotten. Not just food but also kings were rotten.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I also remember him from Tattletales, and I'm sure he was on a dozen Love Boats and Fantasy Islands. Funny man.

And Love, American Style. He seemed like one of those actors who'd go anywhere, no matter how small the role.

http://www.dickgautier.com/ Did you know he was a cartoonist? Quite the renaissance man. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ABay said:

I think he originated the role of Conrad Birdie in Bye, Bye Birdie on Broadway. Whenever the movie is on I wonder why they went with the anemic, sexless actor (sorry, actor whose name I never bothered to learn) instead of Gautier who would've been perfect. And if he didn't originate the role, he would've been so perfect for it that I can't imagine anyone else in the part.

I remember back When Things Were Rotten. Not just food but also kings were rotten.

It's in the obit I linked to, that he originated the role of Conrad Birdie in Bye, Bye Birdie. I think it also said he received a Tony Award nomination for the role. I think the movie actor's name is also in the obit. And Dick Gautier was a very talented guy. I remember him from Get Smart through the 1970's & beyond.

I don't remember seeing this.   Tommy Allsup passed this week.    He was a member of the Texas Playboys.   Also played guitar on many well known hits of the 50s.   But he was best known for losing a coin toss.   He lost to Ritchie Valens that fateful night the music died.   

• Love 7
18 hours ago, roamyn said:

2017 has just claimed Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus, which will permanently close later this year, aft 146 years of operations. 

My heart is sad.

No!  This is good. The animals will go to a safe place to roam free.  Finally!  Without the animals they have very little to show, they were the draw.  I am very happy.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

No!  This is good. The animals will go to a safe place to roam free.  Finally!  Without the animals they have very little to show, they were the draw.  I am very happy.

Where will they be? these animals are captive bred, highly trained and used to human companionship. Where do you think they can be sent? They have no clue how to survive in the wild. Will they be kept together? Elephants form families and friendships. Will those be respected? Probably not.

• Love 4

The circus has already retired their elephants to a sanctuary that they run. I can't be sure but I'm guessing the herd was kept together since the RR/BB owns the facility. 

I don't think they are going to put any of the animals into the wild. They will most likely go to zoos or other wildlife properties. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

The circus has already retired their elephants to a sanctuary that they run. I can't be sure but I'm guessing the herd was kept together since the RR/BB owns the facility. 

I don't think they are going to put any of the animals into the wild. They will most likely go to zoos or other wildlife properties. 

But what abt the humans & animals that formed a bond? 

Animals don't unerstand why their trainer/caretaker is gone, and they could pine away.

And I believe 90% of the so-called abuse was BS, internet driven crap.   Yes, in years gone by they WERE abused.

• Love 5

None of the circus animals can be put in the wild. They are placed in compounds and experience freedom from chains and cages.

They are specific to breed. Sweet stories abound on youtube. A favorite of mine is a dog and elephant who became best friends with a dog who lived there.  It will bring  a tear.

I have worked tirelessly my whole adult life for animal rights.  The circus' demise is a huge victory and way too long in coming.  Horrific situation.  They should all be in prison.

Sadness? Oh hell no!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 12

I have worked tirelessly my whole adult life for animal rights.  The circus' demise is a huge victory and way too long in coming.  Horrific situation.  

Amen.  I doubt the tigers and elephants will miss their "human companions" who whipped them and smacked them with crops.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Goldmoon said:

Amen.  I doubt the tigers and elephants will miss their "human companions" who whipped them and smacked them with crops.

Most large cats are affection trained, not whipped. Elephants have also been given kinder training the last 30 years or so. Elephants and large cats do become attached to their humans, partly because many are handraised. I'm so tired of these blanket statements.

• Love 9

And what abt the livelihood of 500 or so PEOPLE and their respective families?

The animals will be fed and housed.  Who's goung to feed & house the HUMAN BEINGS that are being hurt more?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, roamyn said:

But what abt the humans & animals that formed a bond? 

Animals don't unerstand why their trainer/caretaker is gone, and they could pine away.

And I believe 90% of the so-called abuse was BS, internet driven crap.   Yes, in years gone by they WERE abused.

Keeping g wild animals in cages is abuse. 

• Love 7

I had such a crush on Dick Gautier from "When things were rotten". Him and Dirk Benedict & Richard Hatch from Battlestar Galactica.  I don't remember him on Get Smart but saw some YouTube clips - so much funnier than Holmes & YoYo. And I love seeing Dick on Tattletales with his then wife Barbra Stuart.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

Keeping g wild animals in cages is abuse. 

That's the point. Now days these animals are not wild caught the are bred by the zoos and circuses that have them. They have no hope of surviving without human help. And although the elephants belong to Ringling Bros some of the other animals belong to the trainers. Were will they go? Possibily to less reputable shows.

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Astronaut Eugene Cernan, the last man to leave his footprints on the moon, has died at age 82.

Rest peacefully Captain, I so hoped you would live to see the day Mankind returned to the moon......*Hand Salute*

• Love 8

That's a shock. For those who don't know, he is George Clooney's cousin.

My husband and I also famously (in our household) argued over the fact that he was in a Star Trek film, I said he wasn't, I was wrong. So, saying the name Miguel Ferrer in my house dredges up bad memories!

• Love 2

Oh geeze. I was scared that was coming. The latest episode of NCIS: LA that aired made it seem like they were sending his character off too. I commend him for continuing to appear on the show even though he was ill.

• Love 3

As a Twin Peaks fan it's so sad to hear about Miguel Ferrer. We watched and tweeted about the S1 marathon Showtime aired on Saturday.  Many love him as Agent Albert.

May he rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

That's a shock. For those who don't know, he is George Clooney's cousin.

My husband and I also famously (in our household) argued over the fact that he was in a Star Trek film, I said he wasn't, I was wrong. So, saying the name Miguel Ferrer in my house dredges up bad memories!

He was also the son of the late legendary singer Rosemary Clooney & actor Jose Ferrer, & the brother-in-law of singer Debby Boone of You Light Up My Life fame.

• Love 3

I first knew him as ambitious exec Bob Morton in Robocop "I fuckin love that guy!"

He has two of my favorite lines from Hot Shots Part Deux! "Thank you, Topper! I can kill again! You've given me a reason to live!" and "War. It's faaaantastic!"

He was also an old friend of Carrie Fisher and she went over her lines with him before auditioning for Star Wars. She said both of them wanted to be Han Solo! Carrie's brother Todd tweeted:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I saw the announcement and immediately heard his voice in my head.

Ironically, it was Miguel. Ferrer's sister-in-law's voice I heard in my head singing 'You Light Up My Life'!  RIp, Mr. Ferrer

• Love 1
17 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I saw the announcement and immediately heard his voice in my head.

Flipping through the channels awhile back, I stumbled across an episode of NCSI: LA and his voice was what made me suspect he was sick (that, coupled with how thin he looked). I loved  him as Albert Rosenfield and on Crossing Jordan.

• Love 1

Fell in love with him as Albert (thank you SO much for that scene, ABay, I have been thinking about it ever since I heard.  A high point in a show that had a lot of them.

Miguel's brother Rafael is one of the most prominent voice over guys -- you know, the ones that announce shows, do movie trailers - "In a world..."  They both inherited their father's amazing voice.  

• Love 1

I remember him most for the interview he gave for the True Hollywood Story about the death of Dominique Dunne.  The Dunne and Ferrer kids grew up together and Dominique was considered the little sister of the group.  I still remember the look on Miquel's face when he was talking about her death and the utter disgust he had for a friend of hers that stood by while she was being killed and did nothing to help her.  I also got the impression that he would have loved to have had five minutes alone with her murderer to even the score.  

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, kassa said:

Fell in love with him as Albert (thank you SO much for that scene, ABay, I have been thinking about it ever since I heard.  A high point in a show that had a lot of them.

Miguel's brother Rafael is one of the most prominent voice over guys -- you know, the ones that announce shows, do movie trailers - "In a world..."  They both inherited their father's amazing voice.  

@St. Claire, I read in 1 of the articles on his passing/his obits that they did incorporate Miguel Ferrer's illness into his NCIS: Los Angeles character/the show prior to his death, probably when they had no other choice but to do so because it had become physically noticeable though he wanted to work as long as possible.

And I just realized I quoted the wrong reply. Apologies. I thought @kassa had referred to 1 of Miguel Ferrer's siblings I wanted to talk about, besides commenting to @St. Claire about her(?) answer, but in rereading my post before hitting "Send" I realized that I had misread which sibling @kassa had talked about, & it wasn't who I wanted to talk about. 

God must have gotten tired of taking all the actors and musicians last year and decided to organize a baseball league for this year instead.

Still, 2017 seems to have gotten off to a relatively peaceful start.  Let's keep it that way, 2017, OK?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3