Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I'm calling it now. 2016 is going to be the year of massive numbers of notable people dying. Look at what's happened in the first three months of this year.

RIP to everyone in this thread.

• Love 1

This one makes me especially sad. Patty Duke was always present during my early years. I don't know how many times I've watched The Miracle Worker.

To die of a ruptured intestine? How awful.

• Love 2

How sad. I was always impressed with every acting job Patty Duke had. My first memory of her was the Melissa Gilbert's TV version of The Miracle Worker where Patty played the teacher. That led me to Patty's movie version and, wow, I was blown away.

• Love 2
Snow Apple, on 29 Mar 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

How sad. I was always impressed with every acting job Patty Duke had. My first memory of her was the Melissa Gilbert's TV version of The Miracle Worker where Patty played the teacher. That led me to Patty's movie version and, wow, I was blown away.

If memory serves, she was only 16 when she did that movie, for which she won a special Oscar.  And yes, she and Anne Bancroft really were that close in real life, so they must be having a great reunion now.

• Love 1

And didn't she play a big role testifying about her appearance as a teen celebrity contestant in the congressional hearings on TV game shows in the 50s?

OK, this is a run-on sentence, but I'm upset and you know what I mean. :(

Edited by A Boston Gal

And didn't she play a big role testifying about her appearance as a teen celebrity contestant in the congressional hearings on TV game shows in the 50s?

She did testify, but the reports about her breaking down in tears and admitting she'd been coached to lie all seem to trace back to Sonny Fox, who said Patty told him this.  Can't find any direct attribution to her.

• Love 1

Wow, I let out an audible gasp when I saw the Patty Duke headline, just so shocking and sad. My own mom suffered ruptured intestine but survived, but she still suffers all kinds of sickness etc.  I love both versions of the Miracle Worker and have always enjoyed Patty Duke's work, she always came across as a survivor.  So sad.

Just devastated by the news about Patty Duke.    

I was having lunch with a young friend when I saw the news.    I told him.   He looked blank.   I told him "Played Annie Sullivan in the MIracle Worker opposite Melissa Gilbert after having playing Helen Keller in the 60s."   Still blank.   "The Patty Duke Show?"   Still blank.   "Sean Astin's mother."   Oh yeah her.   Now I really feel old.

Such a touching tribute from Sean.

What a horrible way to go.   Just NO.

• Love 3

Sean Astin's parenthood has always been questioned from the time of his birth.  Patty thought that Desi Arnaz, Jr. was Sean's father, but she married writer Michael Tell after a very short relationship.  She then divorced him after 13 days, and she married John Astin, with whom she had been having an on-and-off relationship.  John Astin adopted Sean.  When Sean was older, he had a paternity test which showed that Michael Tell is his father.

I was shocked by seeing Patty Duke 's passing news. She was my parent's generation but her autobiography "Call Me Anna" was the first bio book I remember reading when I was only 10! So I felt I knew her before even seeing her body of work. She was amazing as a child actress and I enjoyed her many made for TV movies made during my teen years. She was relatively young to go.

• Love 2

There is a made for TV movie that has never made it to video that I always try to watch at Christmas called "Always Remember I Love You", starring Patty Duke, Richard Masur (they were both Presidents of the Screen Actors Guild), David Birney, Joan Van Ark, and Stephen Dorff.  It was about a teenaged boy, Stephen Dorff, who found out that he was not the son of his rich parents, but had been stolen as a baby (his adoptive parents didn't know), and he tracks down his birth family.  At Christmas time.  Patty was so good in it, and the last scene with her is just heart-breaking.

• Love 1

I have loved everything Patty Duke was in. She never disappointed. Whether she was Helen Keller, Annie Sullivan, those crazy identical COUSINS! Any and all of her television movies-I was always riveted. May you rest in peace, Anna.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

And 2 more, perhaps lesser-known, celebrity deaths:

Actress Shannon Bolin Kaye, star of Damn Yankees, dead at age 99.

http://variety.com/2016/film/people-news/shannon-bolin-kaye-dead-dies-star-of-damn-yankees-1201741242/

And, actress Margaret Blye, star of the original version of The Italian Job, dead of Cancer at age 73.

http://variety.com/2016/film/people-news/actress-margaret-blye-dead-dies-1201741095/

That makes *4* notable celebrity deaths just today (or at least just announced today).

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1
I'd forgotten she was married to John Astin.

In her book she said that when they first got together that she was surprised at how good in bed he was.  Now every time I see him on an old Night Court acting like a kook, I think,"Was she serious?"

She always seemed like the mother on the block that a teenager could tell anything to and she'd give good advice and wouldn't tattle everything to the parents.

Rest well, Anna, you fought hard for the well-being of others and made a difference while you were here.

• Love 4

If memory serves, she was only 16 when she did that movie, for which she won a special Oscar. And yes, she and Anne Bancroft really were that close in real life, so they must be having a great reunion now.

Minor thing, but it wasn't a special Oscar, it was the Best Supporting Actress Oscar - she was the youngest winner of the award until Tatum O'Neill.

Oof, this one sucks - my mom is a big Patty Duke fan, so I have such wonderful memories of watching reruns of The Patty Duke show on Nick-at-Nite and watching the Miracle Worker when I was a kid. I know this sentiment has already been said, but 69 is much too young.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

I'm shocked, I saw a headline about Patty Duke and didn't realize it meant she had died.  How terribly sad.  She had a rough time of it growing up.

It's scary to see so many people dying in their 60s.  Rest in peace.

Edited by roseha

OK, I had to know--I IMDB'd John Astin, and he is still with us. I've always liked him and I thought Sean was his as well as Mackenzie, but he is not.

Yeah, but I read somewhere that he is close to his real father as well as John and Desi Jr.  I think I may have read it in a people magazine article a few years back.  Sean's got a pretty good head on his shoulders.

• Love 2

There is a made for TV movie that has never made it to video that I always try to watch at Christmas called "Always Remember I Love You", starring Patty Duke, Richard Masur (they were both Presidents of the Screen Actors Guild), David Birney, Joan Van Ark, and Stephen Dorff.  It was about a teenaged boy, Stephen Dorff, who found out that he was not the son of his rich parents, but had been stolen as a baby (his adoptive parents didn't know), and he tracks down his birth family.  At Christmas time.  Patty was so good in it, and the last scene with her is just heart-breaking.

I remember that movie.  Good acting all around.

The Waltons was a favorite of mine growing up. I've been to Charlottesville several times but haven't made it to the Waltons Museum. It's a nice area with lots of other places to visit. Monticello and Montpelier are 2 examples.

I haven't looked to see if one of the cable channels that have been showing the Waltons are still airing them. I wonder if they will be showing a bunch of episodes for Earl Hamner. I too, was a bit surprised he was still with us until yesterday. Anyone who lives to their 90s has seen quite a lot during their lifetime.

Also, I haven't seen the White Shadow in reruns much but I wonder if it'll pop up somewhere now - that was a much watch show for me when it was on. I enjoyed the rapport Coach Reeves had with the team and how they all interacted with each other.

It's a bit belated, but I just looked (while looking for something else). The INSP channel on cable/satellite is currently airing The Waltons weekdays at 3PM, 4PM, & 7PM Eastern/2PM, 3PM & 6PM Central time. So far, it doesn't appear they've scheduled any sort of tribute to Earl Hamner, Jr.

And, celebrity death #5 for the day...

"Late Blooming" actor Earl Schuman, who played the father of Lloyd Bridges' character in the Seinfeld episode The English Patient (where Seinfeld gets involved with a competitive father, son, & grandson), dies at age 100.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/earl-schuman-dead-seinfeld-actor-879148

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Always Remember I Love You is available on Amazon on VHS for $200(!).

ETA: I also found it on some other sites, for much cheaper - like $14-$20, but I don't know how reputable those sites are so I'm not posting them.  You can search on your own though. 

• Love 1
In her book she said that when they first got together that she was surprised at how good in bed he was.  Now every time I see him on an old Night Court acting like a kook, I think,"Was she serious?"

"But I'm feeling much better now!"

Trying think of him as Gomez Addams, maybe that'll help.

I remember the later TV movie Patty Duke did with Melissa Gilbert in 1993, Family of Strangers with William Shatner.

• Love 1

If memory serves, she was only 16 when she did that movie, for which she won a special Oscar. And yes, she and Anne Bancroft really were that close in real life, so they must be having a great reunion now.

And I think I read that she did "The Miracle Worker" on Broadway when she was 12.

A ruptured intestine seems like it might be from a doctor mistake, maybe during a medical procedure.

I think I had a crush on Patty Duke during her "Patty Duke Show" days.

And I think I read that she did "The Miracle Worker" on Broadway when she was 12.

She wrote about that in her autobiography, and she said that one of the things she loved about working with Anne Bancroft (aside from the fact that Anne taught her pretty much everything she knew about acting and professionalism) was that she would get to hang out with Anne in Anne's dressing room backstage and just be 12, or whatever age she happened to be at the time.  She loved the chance to just be a kid instead of having to deal with the pressure that her foster parents constantly put on her.

A ruptured intestine seems like it might be from a doctor mistake, maybe during a medical procedure.

Nope.  You're thinking of a puncture, when a surgeon nicks the intestine while operating on something else in the abdomen.  An intestine can rupture from any number of medical conditions, and often the patient delays seeking medical attention for abdominal pain, by which time it is too late.

• Love 1

It's probably similar to a ruptured lung, which is what my mother died of (or actually the sepsis). I had visions of her lung exploding inside her.

But it means a tear of the muscle & tissue that keeps poisons away from other organs.

Any number of things can weaken or even kill the intensines that it gets to the point of tearing/rupturing.

She wrote about that in her autobiography, and she said that one of the things she loved about working with Anne Bancroft (aside from the fact that Anne taught her pretty much everything she knew about acting and professionalism) was that she would get to hang out with Anne in Anne's dressing room backstage and just be 12, or whatever age she happened to be at the time.  She loved the chance to just be a kid instead of having to deal with the pressure that her foster parents constantly put on her.

I think of the Rosses less as "foster parents" and more as " horrific monsters who stole a young girl away from her emotionally unstable but not at all abusive mother, who then abused her and changed her first name with little to no warning", but that is a lovely story. 

UYI, on 30 Mar 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

I think of the Rosses less as "foster parents" and more as " horrific monsters who stole a young girl away from her emotionally unstable but not at all abusive mother, who then abused her and changed her first name with little to no warning", but that is a lovely story. 

Oh, I'm well aware of what abusive assholes the Rosses were.  What I wrote was actually intended as something of an understatement.

• Love 1

Tribute from LA Times critic Kenneth Turan who interviewed Patty Duke for hours and helped turn that into her autobiography.

Why I'll never forget Oscar winner Patty Duke

This part got me.

Here is advice she took from then-husband, actor John Astin, who told her at an especially bleak moment, "If you keep living the truth of your life, that, not the mistakes or exaggerations, is what will endure. If you live your life in truth, the truth will out."

Who knew the goofy guy in West Side Story trying to get the whites and Puerto Ricans to dance together in the gym was so wise!

And it's his 86th birthday today too! What a sad coincidence.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3