Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Not a big fan of his music (didn’t hate it but didn’t especially like it), but the first time I saw a music video featuring Ocasek, I thought he would be a great choice to play the character of the Mule in Asimov’s Foundation series, if it were turned into a film. He just seemed very different from other lead singers. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

They were estranged when he died. I think for a number of years now.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that the third Mrs. Ocasek would have had no cause to be upset finding him. Estranged or not, they had two sons together AND evidently were on civil enough terms for her to have stayed in his life! No, I truly can't say I could have predicted this end for him much less her finding him. He made some good music in his day and, despite the abruptness of his end, I hope he can soon RIP. 

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

They were estranged when he died. I think for a number of years now.

I am aware that they separated a year ago but it’s still traumatic to find someone dead, particularly someone who has been in your life for more than half of it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8

I love The Cars.  ‘drive’ is my favorite.

I hadn’t heard that he was ill, so I wonder if he had a heart attack or stroke?  Was Paulina just coming to visit, or did she suspect something had happened? 

I’m scared for the musical memories of my youth, now.  Who’s next?  David Gilmour?  Robert Plant?  Tina Turner?  (Very high possibility w/her)

RIP, you unique musical soul.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I’m scared for the musical memories of my youth, now.  Who’s next?  David Gilmour?  Robert Plant?  Tina Turner?  (Very high possibility w/her)

Right? Some of my favorite musicians are in their 60s now and I want to just place them all in a protective bubble. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Depends on where you look, there are other sites that claim he was born as late as 1949, making him 70. 

Somehow I can't imagine the late Mr. Ocasek having  to have  worried about getting carded  in his twilight years. RIP, notwithstanding.

Edited by Blergh
less to
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Somehow I can't imagine the late Mr. Ocasek having  to have to worried about getting carded  in his twilight years. RIP, notwithstanding.

Ric Ocasek had the kind of face that doesn't get carded when he was in his 20's.

• Love 10

This one hurts.  My mom used to play her Cars greatest hits album ad nauseum so by age six or seven I knew all the hits.  Even looking back today I just sang at least 12 songs off the top of my head.  That's how ingrained The Cars were.  RIP Ric Ocasek.

• Love 8

Cokie Roberts' death shocks me. I grew up watching her on the news and on various current affairs shows on ABC and NPR. She was one of the few prominent women journalists on the major networks. I didn't always agree with her, but I would always root for her (and Eleanor Clift) as she fearlessly took on those obnoxious know-it-all men like George Will. 

Rest in peace, Cokie.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

This one REALLY hurts. Cokie, along with Walter Cronkite, was my hero when I was in college--I was a broadcast journalism major and I wanted to be like them. The fact that I didn't pursue a career in this field is a conversation better suited somewhere else.

RIP, Cokie. Give my regards to Uncle Walter.

• Love 7

I just realized that we have lost both Gwen Ifill and Cokie Roberts, two talented women who were at the forefront of journalism. Sadly, I don't think that there has been another African American woman journalist of Ifill's stature.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I’m from Cleveland and never heard of him.  Can you tell me more abt him?

Sure.  He was a no nonsense news guy who always signed off with "Sander Vanocur...NBC News"

escribed as "one of the country's most prominent political reporters during the 1960s,"[4] Vanocur served as White House correspondent and national political correspondent for NBC News in the 1960s and early 1970s.[5] He was one of the questioners at the first Kennedy-Nixon debate in 1960 and was also chosen as one of the questioners in the 1992 presidential debate[6] as well as one of NBC's "four horsemen," its floor reporters at the political conventions in the 1960s—the other three were John Chancellor, Frank McGee, and Edwin Newman.[7] While White House correspondent during the Kennedy administration, Vanocur was one of the first reporters to publicly ask Kennedy to justify the failure of the Bay of Pigs Invasion. Vanocur also dubbed Kennedy's coterie the "Irish mafia."[8]

Later, Vanocur covered the 1968 United States presidential election in which Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated. Vanocur, who had interviewed Kennedy on June 4, 1968, shortly before the Democratic candidate was shot, reported on the incident from The Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, California, for the entire night. On the final night of the Republican National Convention in Miami Beach, during a convention-wrapping Thursday night round-table discussion with his fellow NBC floor reporters in the vacated folding chairs on the convention hall floor, Vanocur suggested that the Republicans had "kissed off the black vote" in 1968, a comment which caused a media uproar in the ensuing week.[citation needed]

Vanocur also served as host of First Tuesday, a monthly newsmagazine that premiered in 1969 and continued after Vanocur left the network.[9] His work at NBC earned him a place on the Nixon administration's "enemies list".

After leaving NBC in 1971, Vanocur worked for PBS and as a television writer for The Washington Post. He joined ABC News in 1977 and worked there until 1991, holding various positions, including Chief Diplomatic Correspondent, Senior Correspondent in Buenos Aires, and anchor for Business World, the first regularly scheduled weekly business program. He covered the 1997, 1998, and 1999 World Economic Summits and was Chief Overview Correspondent during the 1980 and 1984 presidential elections. In 1984, Vanocur moderated the Vice Presidential debate between incumbent George H. W. Bush and Congresswoman Geraldine Ferraro. He made a cameo appearance as himself in the movie Dave and was one of the major performers, again playing himself, in the sci-fi television special Without Warning as one of the main news anchors linking the various scenes together.

Vanocur hosted two of the History Channel's primetime series: Movies in Time and History's Business.

Spoiler
Edited by spiderpig
ETA some Cleveland stuff...Vanocur was born in Cleveland, Ohio, the son of Rose (Millman) and Louis Vinocur, a lawyer. His family is of Russian Jewish descent.[2] Vanocur moved to Peoria, Illinois when he was twelve years old.[3] After attending Western M
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I hate to say it, but I thought he had passed years ago.  Sad when the old news stalwarts go.

I haven't thought about him in years, but I do remember his news reports and I grew up in CA. R.I.P dear man.

• Love 4

In early September 2019, Haig was hospitalized after falling at his home in Los Angeles. While recovering, he suffered from a lung infection after vomiting in his sleep. He died on September 21, 2019 from the infection at the age of 80.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Useful 2