Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, festivus said:

I didn't recognize the name at first but as soon as I read your Law and Order spoiler I knew who he was. It was a great performance. RIP Mr. Benjamin.

Yes, that was a great performance. And then there was the character’s son, who tried to have his father declared incompetent over the whole thing & who, according to the father, would marry the sort of flashy lawyer, Shambala Green. She was a recurring character lawyer the son hired to get his father declared incompetent.

• Love 2

As wonderful as Mr. Benjamin was, there was one role he played that always haunted me, and it was his role as Freeman, the man that raped eight year old Maya Angelou in I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings.

Rest well, sir.

• Love 4
(edited)

Awww. L&C, A League of Their Own, and The Rocketeer were big parts of my childhood and he was always great.  The scene in League where he waves good-bye to Marla still makes me tear up.  Rest peacefully, sir.  

Edited by LilWharveyGal
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

The scene in League where he waves good-bye to Marla still makes me tear up.

A League of Their Own is what I associate him with (I never watched Lois & Clark), and that train station scene always makes me tear up, too.  ("Nothing is ever gonna happen here.  You have to go where things happen.")  We're in good company; Penny Marshall said on the Blu-Ray commentary track that it got to her every time, too.  It was a small role, but he fits right in as one of the many wonderful things about that film.

• Love 16
52 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Remember when he was married to Geraldine Page and the mailbox on their Manhattan apartment was  labelled "Torn Page"?

She shrugged off his many indiscretions, saying "He makes beautiful babies".

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Remember when he was married to Geraldine Page and the mailbox on their Manhattan apartment was  labelled "Torn Page"?

She shrugged off his many indiscretions, saying "He makes beautiful babies".

David Habour looks exactly like Rip Torn.

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

The only thing that I knew him from was Hercules. Rest in peace Mr. Torn.

For me, it was Hercules, the first Men in Black film, and as King Louis XV in Marie Antoinette.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Popples said:

For me, it was Hercules, the first Men in Black film, and as King Louis XV in Marie Antoinette.

Oh right. I forgot about those two movies, but I've never seen Marie Antoinette. I have seen Men In Black though.

• Love 1

From the NYTimes obituary:

Mr. Shandling said it was Mr. Torn’s performance as Albert Brooks’s unconvincingly reassuring afterlife lawyer in the comedy “Defending Your Life” (1991) that won him his role on “The Larry Sanders Show.”

I loved Defending Your Life and Rip Torn's role in it.  So tickled to read that it led to perhaps his best role, as Artie on The Larry Sanders Show.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Does anyone know how Rip Torn died? I was looking to see if there was a cause of death, but couldn’t find anything.

I Googled but everything I found said “No cause of death given”.

• Love 1
(edited)

Damn. 😢  Condolences to her family and friends. May she rest in peace.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory star Denise Nickerson has been taken off life support one year after suffering a severe stroke.

Her son, Josh Nickerson, and his wife, Jasmine, announced the actress, 62, had been removed from “all the equipment” Wednesday morning on Facebook.

“None of it was helping, but making her only more uncomfortable. We’re telling her it’s okay to let go,” the couple wrote on the page they created to provide updates on Nickerson’s health.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/willy-wonka-star-denise-nickerson-62-taken-off-life-support-after-suffering-severe-stroke/ar-AAE8BwB

Sources:   msn and people

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I always confused Rip Torn and Rip Taylor - not that they looked anything alike, I just didn't remember who was who.

Thank you for posting this!  I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out who I had Torn confused with.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I always confused Rip Torn and Rip Taylor - not that they looked anything alike, I just didn't remember who was who.

Sounds like a Bill Paxton-Pullman situation. (Alternatively, Dylan McDermott and Dermot Mulroney)

• Love 14
22 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I thought he had died a few years ago, or so.

In the past week there have been three of these deaths - Lee Iacocca, Ross Perot, and Rip Torn - where I would have said dead if asked about them during a Dead or Alive quiz.

• Love 8