Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And the hits just keep on coming as another part of my youth ends: RIP, Peggy Lipton.

OK, 2019. Knock it off!

What?! I saw her with her daughter Rashida Jones a few years back on Who Do You Think You Are? and she seemed so healthy and vital  that she appeared to be virtually the same age as her daughter! I guess this shows that cancer can lurk even in those who appear to be healthy. What a shock  and how sad for her family! She definitely did some groundbreaking work exploring the nitty gritty and issues most dramas wouldn't touch for another decade or so on The Mod Squad ! RIP, Miss Lipton! 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And the hits just keep on coming as another part of my youth ends: RIP, Peggy Lipton.

Aww.  The Mod Squad, of course, but I also love that she put herself back out there in the acting world after a 15-year break (other than a Mod Squad reunion) to focus on raising her daughters - who seem to have turned out well - and ultimately gained a second round of recognition via Twin Peaks.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Mod Squad was before my time but when I got to catch reruns I was struck how beautiful.  I first knew her when as Leslie Bibb's real mom on Popular. Then when I saw  Rashida Jones on The Office and Parks and Recreation I saw her resemblance to both her parents, Peggy and Quincy Jones. I also how she hooked up with Paul McCartney in 1964:

http://www.meetthebeatlesforreal.com/2014/11/my-two-days-with-beatles.html

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

The Mod Squad was before my time but when I got to catch reruns I was struck how beautiful.  I first knew her when as Leslie Bibb's real mom on Popular. Then when I saw  Rashida Jones on The Office and Parks and Recreation I saw her resemblance to both her parents, Peggy and Quincy Jones. I also how she hooked up with Paul McCartney in 1964:

http://www.meetthebeatlesforreal.com/2014/11/my-two-days-with-beatles.html

Was that really half a century ago?  I feel myself getting older by the minute!

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

Peggy Lipton was one of those actors who even though I never saw anything she was -- I knew who she was.   Now THAT's a legacy.   Along with being a great mom to her kids apparently.

RIP Ms. Lipton.   Condolences to her family and friends.

Oh and FUCK Cancer (particularly this one right now.   A good friend just got the terminal diagnosis)

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Oh and FUCK Cancer (particularly this one right now.   A good friend just got the terminal diagnosis)

I'm so sorry. Sending comforting thoughts and wishes to your friend. 

Rest in peace, Peggy Lipton. 

• Love 11
(edited)
10 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Wow!  I think of her as eternally young even though I know her daughters are adults.

R.I.P. to the one blonde, Ms. Lipton.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Popples said:

Doris Day, dead at 97.

I loved her in Love Me or Leave Me because it was the only one where she played against type. Her version of Shakin' the Blues Away is my favorite one.

RIP Miss Day.

tumblr_nvzfpf1sjk1qfrhhpo1_500.gif

I was just coming in to post about her passing.  Even though I had a feeling it was coming soon, I didn't expect it to be quite THIS soon. Still, 97 is a damn good run. RIP, Doris!

Oh, and don't let her wholesome, goody-goody image fool you. She could sex it up when she wanted to. Ever listen to her cover of "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps"?

• Love 14

So sad to hear about Doris Day. She was one of my favorites. I never get tired of Young at Heart. She could hang vocally with Sinatra. But 97 is a good run.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, and don't let her wholesome, goody-goody image fool you. She could sex it up when she wanted to. Ever listen to her cover of "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps"?

Nope, I'm going to do it now. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Love 4

Can't wait for the TCM tribute to Doris Day.  I enjoyed so many of her movies.  And I always remember Col. Potter's confession on MASH that he was in love with her.  

• Love 15

Doris Day!  I knew it was coming but makes me sad.  

28 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I loved her in Love Me or Leave Me because it was the only one where she played against type. Her version of Shakin' the Blues Away is my favorite one.

28 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Ever listen to her cover of "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps"?

My goodness.  My two favorite Doris Day performances right here!   R.I.P. Ms. Day.  I'll be watching the TCM tribute when it airs because I know Ms. Day will certainly be lauded by TCM.  Or else.  

• Love 10

What a lovely woman Doris Day was.   

She had a pretty rotten life in a lot of ways, but didn't let that defeat her.    The loss of her son must have been the most devastating tragedy in her life, and still she kept trying to help others.      She will truly be missed. 

• Love 12
(edited)

I have seen so many Doris Day movies over the years. Her movies with Rock Hudson were always fun, but Young at Heart is one of my favorite classic movies. The first time I watched it, I remember being totally surprised about how all the romances unfolded. Laurie (Doris Day) and Barney (Frank Sinatra) seemed like such a mismatched couple, but the actors' chemistry and their beautiful voices sold the hell out of that romance.

Rest in Peace, Doris.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11

From the WaPo obit:

She also said she rejected the part of the alcoholic seductress Mrs. Robinson in “The Graduate” (1967) because “it offended my sense of values.”

Well, thank goodness, because Anne Bancroft owned that role.  Nonetheless, RIP, Ms. Day.

• Love 12

I will always remember her being a true friend to Rock Hudson during his last months.  

She had lousy taste in men - her husbands were abusers, frauds and cheats - and losing her only child must have been so devastating.  Didn't she have a granddaughter?  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Who was it who said, "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin?"

RIP. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, UYI said:

Who was it who said, "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin?"

RIP. 

According to the WaPo obit

Entertainers including Groucho Marx and Oscar Levant were variously credited with the much-repeated quip: “I’ve been around so long, I can remember Doris Day before she was a virgin.”

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I will always remember her being a true friend to Rock Hudson during his last months.  

She had lousy taste in men - her husbands were abusers, frauds and cheats - and losing her only child must have been so devastating.  Didn't she have a granddaughter?  

The now-deceased Miss Day (born Kappelhoff) has a grandson by her late son Terry named Ryan Melcher a realtor living in Carmel, California. I only hope that tabloid reports of them having been estranged  after his late father's divorce from his mother weren't true and that they WERE  able to get together and bond before her death. 

It's not her marital history nor her career that mattered to her but her work on behalf of dogs and cats everywhere that was her passion and, if nothing else, she DID live to see animal welfare go from being considered a joke to something more folks than ever are serious about so that's a good thing. RIP, Miss Day!

• Love 20

The Mod Squad had the baddest intro (sans Tige Andrews' Shatner-like appearance during the credits!).  As for The Doris Day Show, I used to love watching the intro.

RIP to Ms. Lipton and Ms. Day.

• Love 12
49 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

The Mod Squad had the baddest intro (sans Tige Andrews' Shatner-like appearance during the credits!).  As for The Doris Day Show, I used to love watching the intro.

As I recall, Doris Day's husband Martin Melcher arranged for the TV show before he died, and that Doris didn't want to do it but had to because she found out she was broke and she felt obligated to honor the contract.  Didn't the show change formats, characters, settings almost every year?  I have vague memories of watching it; she was on a ranch and then suddenly lived in a a city - San Francisco, I think.  And didn't the children disappear, never to be heard of again?

That was an awful time for her, with financial concerns, doing a TV show she didn't want to do, and then in 1969 the Manson killings and worry about her son's safety. She must have been such a strong person to deal with all that.

• Love 6
(edited)

She never had a romantic relationship that wasn't some man using her for her fame, or money, or abusing her.    

Melcher, the third (?) husband spent millions of her money, that's why he signed her up for every project that was proposed for her.    It's estimated that he squandered something like $20 million of her money.    The son (he was the first husband's biological child) was adopted by Melcher, but the son later said that Melcher abused his mother, and him.  

She must have been terrified for her son, Terry,  when she found out that Charles Manson was targeting him at first, and murdered Sharon Tate and her friends at the house Terry, and his girlfriend had recently moved out of.      

I hope her grandson gave her a lot of joy, especially after her son died in 2004.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Calvada said:

As I recall, Doris Day's husband Martin Melcher arranged for the TV show before he died, and that Doris didn't want to do it but had to because she found out she was broke and she felt obligated to honor the contract.  Didn't the show change formats, characters, settings almost every year?  I have vague memories of watching it; she was on a ranch and then suddenly lived in a a city - San Francisco, I think.  And didn't the children disappear, never to be heard of again?

I remember the Season 3 opening, which used to scare me (but what didn't?)  Anywho, it is kinda foggy to watch but try Youtube.

1 hour ago, Vixenstud said:

"One black, one white, one blonde" was their tag line.  Mod Squad was the height of cool TV for those of us who were preteens in the 60's and Peggy Lipton had the perfect look for the times.  The pin straight blonde hair, the cool hippie wardrobe and jewelry, even her freckles were greatly admired by myself and my friends.  Julie was our goddess.

• Love 11

RIP, Ms. Day.

There's a channel here in LA that used to show Calamity Jane nearly every other weekend. I ended up watching it every time. Doris was so funny and so adorable in the movie, and of course sang beautifully. Thanks to her also for all the work she did for animals.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

"One black, one white, one blonde" was their tag line.  Mod Squad was the height of cool TV for those of us who were preteens in the 60's and Peggy Lipton had the perfect look for the times.  The pin straight blonde hair, the cool hippie wardrobe and jewelry, even her freckles were greatly admired by myself and my friends.  Julie was our goddess.

Totally true.  I also had a crush on Michael Cole who played Pete and thought Linc (Clarence Williams III) was totes cool.  In hindsight, I don't think any of the three were great shakes at acting, but they captured my attention during my pre-teen and young teen years.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Totally true.  I also had a crush on Michael Cole who played Pete and thought Linc (Clarence Williams III) was totes cool.  In hindsight, I don't think any of the three were great shakes at acting, but they captured my attention during my pre-teen and young teen years.

My mom had a big crush on Cole, too :D. 

This line from the NYT obit for Doris Day just caught my eye:

Between “Romance on the High Seas” in 1948 and “With Six You Get Eggroll” in 1968, she starred in nearly 40 movies.

I double-checked at IMDB, and sure enough, she was in 39 movies over a 21 year period, almost 2 movies per year.  She certainly worked!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She never had a romantic relationship that wasn't some man using her for her fame, or money, or abusing her. 

Which is why, despite the presence of Myrna Loy, I can't ever re-watch Midnight Lace.  Day doesn't give a good performance in it, but she didn't want to do it in the first place, but her latest asshole husband (Marty Melcher), one of the film's producers, talked her into it.  The main reason she didn't want to do it was playing the character's terrorized reactions; she didn't want to go there as a character given where she'd been as a person. 

But, she agreed to sign on, and, indeed, to get in the character's mental state she brought up memories of Asshole Husband Number One (Al Jordan)'s abuse.  To convey the character's hysteria in one scene, she took herself back to the time when Jordan had pulled her pregnant self out of bed and hurled her against the wall.  Living the character's emotions while re-living her own caused such emotional trauma she collapsed at the end of the scene and production was briefly suspended.

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

I remember the Season 3 opening, which used to scare me (but what didn't?)  Anywho, it is kinda foggy to watch but try Youtube.

The Doris Day Show is available to Amazon Prime members.  I had to go watch the credits to Season 3 - seems like a copycat of The Mary Tyler Moore Show opening credits, with the young woman arriving in the big city.  But Season 3 began on September 14, 1970 and Season 1 of MTM premiered just five days later!  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I'll be watching the TCM tribute when it airs because I know Ms. Day will certainly be lauded by TCM.  Or else.  

They've already begun airing a brief TCM Remembers interstitial (below), and will indeed air a 24-hour memorial marathon, on June 9th beginning at 6:00 a.m. EST.  You can find the line-up here.

• Love 11