Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

If that's the case funny how he didn't get nearly the same reaction.

Women often get drag worst than men on the internet and if you are a woman of color, it is even worst. In her case, she already has a history of controversy, so her latest snafu just added fuel to the fire..

Edited by Pearson80
55 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

What did GV do exactly? Could you please spill the tea?

I personally don't know this is the first I've heard of it. I've only heard people discuss how GV said he felt like a glorified extra despite having storylines since he joined. Although if he was referring to the Allie baby story then he has a point because Eric should've had more of a POV in this and yet nothing it was about Sami vs Nicole.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

If that's the case funny how he didn't get nearly the same reaction.

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

What did GV do exactly? Could you please spill the tea?

I think this is a joke that people are misreading as "true."

Remember, GV left before the pandemic hit and well before MR got involved in her summer scandal.  Eric leaving for Africa was recorded before the break.  GV also has another job. 

So his reasons are what he said they are just as Missy's are what more official people have said they are and the CDCN "blind item" isn't some sort of insider knowledge.  It was posted after news about MR's temporary leave got out and they just chose to add a scandalous twist to it even though COVID-affiliated reasons make more sense.  She just had two grandchildren.  She probably doesn't want to quarantine every time she gets back from CA and not see them.  Staying at home makes it easier for her to create a safety bubble.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I personally don't know this is the first I've heard of it. I've only heard people discuss how GV said he felt like a glorified extra despite having storylines since he joined. Although if he was referring to the Allie baby story then he has a point because Eric should've had more of a POV in this and yet nothing it was about Sami vs Nicole.

The show has only cared about Eric when Jensen played the role, he was so dynamic and his chemistry with Deidre as his mother was gold. So many things could have been done with Eric but the show only cares about Sami.. 

• Love 1

GV has the same views as Melissa. And he probably didn’t want to have to explain or defend them which is why a lot of people don’t in Hollyweird and RL? I’m sure both wanted out because of covid bullshit and the fact this show is on its last legs (which why KA was fine leaving) 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

GV has the same views as Melissa. And he probably didn’t want to have to explain or defend them which is why a lot of people don’t in Hollyweird and RL? I’m sure both wanted out because of covid bullshit and the fact this show is on its last legs (which why KA was fine leaving) 

Oh.  So it wasn't a joke? 

As I said before, Greg left before the show broke for COVID.  He made the decision to leave while they were waiting on a renewal (probably when they let people out of their contracts which made him a free agent).  He told them he was leaving with enough time for them to write an exit (not a great one but an exit) that he filmed when they came back in Feb. This was before both the COVID shut down and long before Melissa liked the social media posts.  His departure had nothing to do with either. 

And while he might agree with MR on some things, there's no evidence that he agrees with her about Black Lives Matter. After he decided to leave, he immediately booked a return to Queen Sugar where pretty much all of his co-stars and bosses are black--mostly black women--and, last I checked, black lives mattering stories were featured prominently.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Cady may bring me back to DOOL.  It’s been decades since I have watched it, but she may be worth another look.  She had chemistry to burn with so many actors on AMC and ATWT.  Two such different characters, and she won Emmys for both.  I thought she started out well on Y&R, but they gave her nothing to work with by the end and she let it show.  Frankly, if I were DOOL, I would see if Michael E Knight was done with GH and try to bring him over.  Something tells me they could make lightning strike twice.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Cady may bring me back to DOOL.  It’s been decades since I have watched it, but she may be worth another look.  She had chemistry to burn with so many actors on AMC and ATWT.  Two such different characters, and she won Emmys for both.  I thought she started out well on Y&R, but they gave her nothing to work with by the end and she let it show.  Frankly, if I were DOOL, I would see if Michael E Knight was done with GH and try to bring him over.  Something tells me they could make lightning strike twice.

I figured she would appear on GH before she would appear on Days only because her RL husband is on GH. I mean they worked together on ATWT(that's how they met).

Although you really haven't missed anything significant where Days is concerned.

22 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

The show has only cared about Eric when Jensen played the role, he was so dynamic and his chemistry with Deidre as his mother was gold. So many things could have been done with Eric but the show only cares about Sami.. 

I disagree I don't think the show cared about Eric since he was a child even if then tbh. Jensen's Eric was aimless till Nicole came along and was pretty much filler with his romance with Greta and friendship with Billie while being with Nicole.  Carrie had stories but Sami was really the focal point. Sami is definitely the only Brady child this show ever cared to write for. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh.  So it wasn't a joke? 

As I said before, Greg left before the show broke for COVID.  He made the decision to leave while they were waiting on a renewal (probably when they let people out of their contracts which made him a free agent).  He told them he was leaving with enough time for them to write an exit (not a great one but an exit) that he filmed when they came back in Feb. This was before both the COVID shut down and long before Melissa liked the social media posts.  His departure had nothing to do with either. 

And while he might agree with MR on some things, there's no evidence that he agrees with her about Black Lives Matter. After he decided to leave, he immediately booked a return to Queen Sugar where pretty much all of his co-stars and bosses are black--mostly black women--and, last I checked, black lives mattering stories were featured prominently.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything a lot of people will overlook a lot of things for a paycheck. Especially in Hollywood.

27 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I disagree I don't think the show cared about Eric since he was a child even if then tbh. Jensen's Eric was aimless till Nicole came along and was pretty much filler with his romance with Greta and friendship with Billie while being with Nicole.  Carrie had stories but Sami was really the focal point. Sami is definitely the only Brady child this show ever cared to write for. 

You are right, Eric was supposed to be the troublemaker and Sami was to be like Marlena.. Eric as a kid really struggled with Roman and Marlena coming back from the dead and having to leave John behind. Then, they aged up the twins, the show loved Allison Sweeney and cast her immediately as Sami  but they had a hard time finding an actor to play Eric, so the plans that they had for him was transferred onto Sami and the rest is history.....

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

That doesn't necessarily mean anything a lot of people will overlook a lot of things for a paycheck. Especially in Hollywood.

But we're not talking about a lot of people; we're talking about Greg Vaughn and the stated reasons he left vs. the recent spec here why he left.

I mean the theory is that he walked away from a paycheck out of principle/some sort of solidarity with MR's anti-BLM thoughts (tho again, the timeline doesn't support this) and then took a job with a 100x more pro-BLM content than DOOL just for a paycheck?  Which he already had?

• Love 5

Cady McClain as Jennifer makes me wish for the pill-popping, world-weary Jennifer of the past.  I loved McClain as Rosanna on ATWT and it would be nice to see her get to play something meaty, rather than the doting grandmother version of Jennifer we're getting these days.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Cady McClain as Jennifer makes me wish for the pill-popping, world-weary Jennifer of the past.  I loved McClain as Rosanna on ATWT and it would be nice to see her get to play something meaty, rather than the doting grandmother version of Jennifer we're getting these days.  

Which is probably all she will be playing tbh. Not really sure a recast is going to change much unless Jennifer is suddenly going to get good stories(which on this show is nonexistent). I rather she come in as a new character. If MR doesn't return I rather see Jennifer killed off and have Jack/Nicole hook up they both could use embracing their darker sides again.

• Love 3

While they're at it, can they de-Jonas Parker and put him back to being Phillip's kid?  Daniel's dead and he was a pervy creep anyway, so they may as well revert Parker back to being Phloe offspring.

I wonder if we will ever see the return of the Phillip/Mimi kid that got adopted (Tyler, I think it was)?  I think that kid was only a year or so younger than Claire, so he should be around 20-ish now.  Although, he would be related to Claire and Allie so his dating options would be limited, unless they bring back Sydney.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Why have Parker been 11 years old when they just as easily have him be old enough to be romantically involved with Allie or Claire. It's not like our Suspension-of-Disbelief muscles are getting flabby at this point.     

Maybe to find an age appropriate character to date Kate?

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, bubble sparkly said:

Serious question - if a SORASED Johnny comes back to Salem with Sami, would he take a ride on Kate’s welcome wagon lol? On the one hand.......ewwwww. On the other hand, can you imagine Sami’s epic meltdown lol?

Reminds me of when Joey had a relationship with Dorian on OLTL and Viki's head exploded.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, bubble sparkly said:

Serious question - if a SORASED Johnny comes back to Salem with Sami, would he take a ride on Kate’s welcome wagon lol? On the one hand.......ewwwww. On the other hand, can you imagine Sami’s epic meltdown lol?

Has anyone *not* taken a ride on Kate's welcome wagon?

But wait... who is Johnny's father again?  It's not Lucas, right?

On 10/19/2020 at 7:50 AM, DisneyBoy said:

Hope they bring a slightly aged-up Parker along. We could use a fun 11 year old kid.

No. TIIC have proven with the last two disastrous teen sets that they can no longer write for them . 

Edited by Rafael

...in fairness, they can hardly write for anybody. It would just be nice to actually *see* the kids on this show. There are presently four...but only Henry the infant occasionally appears.

Parker as a 12 year old could contribute in small ways to the narrative. Plus I'm tired of Chloe mentioning him every time she moves.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Rafael said:

No. TIIC have proven with the last two disastrous teen sets that they can no longer write for them.

I think even they realized this, and that's why they opted to age Ally into the early 20's crowd of Ciara and Claire instead of creating a whole new teen scene.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Some story for Claire/Shawn/Belle?

I'd agree that this was a waste, but at least it spared us Round 47 of Belle/Philip/Shawn, if only temporarily. And it factored into the Sami VS Nicole custody battle.

If she were a better character, I'd be annoyed at the brevity but it's fine considering what she is on this show.

Better her than, say, Summer *shudders*

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I expected him to stick around till Christmas but I'm okay with this tbh there's nothing for JJ here at this point. I'm glad they just kept him around family.

Funny thing today. When Chad was getting dressed today in the opening scene I thought it was Casey Moss. Does anyone think they look alike but not? It must be the hair coloring and height. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them stand side by side for a comparison on the height thing though. Anyway, I thought Moss was back for the long haul especially since he is in between all of the people who had left/fired and are returning. He has really grown as an actor. It seems like years ago when he showed up on the Horton doorstep and pulling the wool over his mother Jennifer’s eyes. He has great chemistry with Matthew Ashford which is amazing since he didn’t act with him until much later in his run. I guess he’ll return again when needed. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 5

Casey Moss has always been great, in my book, but I was so impressed by his scenes with Cady McClain. He didn't miss a beat in making me believe that she was his mother, even after all of those years of working with Missy Reeves.  I know this show doesn't offer much more than garbage writing for these actors to work with but I'm a bit sad to see him go so quickly.  

• Love 10
22 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I too love JJ and he should be driving his own stories, Ron is just a hack..

This isn't just Ron though. The show has their favorites JJ isn't one of them the only writer that was ever interested in JJ was Tomlin.

I mean there are certain characters that are a focal point regardless of the writer.. The show doesn't care about him regardless(or any other Horton male for that matter).

I'm fine with it though this show has a way of making me wish characters I like would leave never to return at this point. Visits are fine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/28/2020 at 5:41 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Ron only cares about gym bunnies with dark brown hair and six pack abs.

Pretty sure Casey Moss has both dark brown hair and abs, so I doubt that's why he's off the show.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they write out Ben (and Eli - neither impresses me from the acting standpoint) and keep JJ. I just don't think his short stint was for the reasons you suggested. And given the choice of love interests (Gabi and Lani) I think he had a lucky escape. Or, since he has form with older women, he might've wound up in Jake's storyline and helped Kate complete the trifecta.

Edited by Aymery
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Aymery said:

Pretty sure Casey Moss has both dark brown hair and abs, so I doubt that's why he's off the show.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they write out Ben (and Eli - neither impresses me from the acting standpoint) and keep JJ. I just don't think his short stint was for the reasons you suggested. And given the choice of love interests (Gabi and Lani) I think he had a lucky escape. Or, since he has form with older women, he might've wound up in Jake's storyline and helped Kate complete the trifecta.

Kate sadly would've been an improvement for him but if Gwen isn't his sister I would've gone for them. However yeah he's related to everyone else and he's a Horton male who isn't part of a popular pairing which is all they care about when it comes to characters on this show unless you're Kate where you can be a nonfactor of a character and still be featured as a stand alone. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Kate sadly would've been an improvement for him but if Gwen isn't his sister I would've gone for them. However yeah he's related to everyone else and he's a Horton male who isn't part of a popular pairing which is all they care about when it comes to characters on this show unless you're Kate where you can be a nonfactor of a character and still be featured as a stand alone. 

Then he would have dated two women who tried to mess with his sister.  

1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

Actually 3. He kinda had a thing w Theresa and she hated Failure. 

Who doesn't hate Abby. Wait that just my feelings whenever I see her.

And I never wanted to hate the child of Jack of Jennifer. Thank heavens for JJ

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Actually 3. He kinda had a thing w Theresa and she hated Failure. 

I wouldn't say they had a thing he was her drug dealer(and Brady's) he wanted sex in exchange for drugs basically. Regardless people brought up a good point this show has JJ loyal to his sister so they would never have him involved with anyone that Abby disliked. 

He was involved with Eve who didn't care for Abby but she messed with Jennifer more tbh.

• Love 1