Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Retired at last said:

According to Soap Opera News, Jason Downs, who plays Rhodes, will be killed by Evan, who returns tomorrow.

Why do they bring on these new people who might have potential, key word being might as the verdict was still out on Rhodes for me, if they aren't going to do anything with them??? I assumed (wrongly apparently) when they replaced creepy deranged Vincent with a more gray-character Rhodes that they intended for it to go somewhere.   This is part of the reason why the young couples in town have to carefully side-step incest with every date they make because there is not enough 'new blood' in Salem.  Who will Abifail cheat on Chad with now? 😉😀

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Why do they bring on these new people who might have potential, key word being might as the verdict was still out on Rhodes for me, if they aren't going to do anything with them??? I assumed (wrongly apparently) when they replaced creepy deranged Vincent with a more gray-character Rhodes that they intended for it to go somewhere.   This is part of the reason why the young couples in town have to carefully side-step incest with every date they make because there is not enough 'new blood' in Salem.  Who will Abifail cheat on Chad with now? 😉😀

More gray didn't he kidnap Ciara? 

Regardless I do like that the villains are actually short term here its when they stick around too long and become defanged it becomes a problem.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Regardless I do like that the villains are actually short term here its when they stick around too long and become defanged it becomes a problem.

It’s a real catch-22 for me because I do agree with this but the recent villains (Evan, Charlie, Gwen, Vincent, Rhodes) are all 1000 times more interesting and entertaining to me than pretty much all the other characters so I hate to see them go.

• Love 4

Rhodes wasn't all that interesting to me but otherwise, I pretty much agree with you.  The actor who plays Evan is just as handsome, probably moreso, than RSW and I think he's more natural as an actor.  Gwen can irritate me with her "I'm such a victim" whining that I'm afraid they'll go the Carly Corinthos route with her but I think she has potential if they play this carefully. 

Vincent was 100% supported by the actor's charisma and ability.

And Charlie.  *sigh* Charlie.  Charlie frustrates me the most.  Not only is Mike Manning a good actor and good looking but they actually did a terrific job of introducing him.  Having him work at Titan and play off of Phillip and Xander was the kind of smart, slow introduction they so rarely do these days.  His presence wasn't dominating but he played a small part in a story that was completely unrelated to where he was meant to end up. And he was kind of amusing. 

Sure, most of us pegged who he was and why he was here but seeing him with Ava was still a pretty fun moment.  It's just such a frustrating waste to make him the unrepentant rapist.

• Love 12
On 2/12/2021 at 6:55 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I forgot that their characters were paired on ATWT (and I didn't care for that pairing tbh). Funny you mention Craig because she used to date Hunt Block that didn't end well and then she got with Jon and married him.

I also just realized its possible that she might be invited to the AMC reboot on ABC I know MEK is on GH but they could pull him out of that show to sell the reboot because Tad was the most recognizable character outside of Adam and Erica for AMC. That's what ABC did to GF when she was on AMC they pulled her out of that show so L&L could return in 1993.

If my memory was correct, Cady and Hunt used tongues in their kissing scenes, and they practiced acrobatics together like her jumping in his arms or him lifting her up over his shoulder etc. They were probably already dating by the time the Rosanna/Craig storyline began. 

By the way, does anyone knows if Cady's exit is permanent or she would come back sometimes later? If Ms. "I wanted to move on and explore other options" VK can return, there's no reason Cady can't.

About Mike Manning, I thought he had good coupling chemistry with Isabela Durant. 

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

More gray didn't he kidnap Ciara? 

Participated in the kidnapping for the money but won't kill her or hurt her as opposed to Vincent's mind control torture of Ben who he programmed to strangle Ciara. So yeah, in the Salem world Rhodes is still a gray character who could eventually go either way if he lived that long.  He's a hired thug basically.  Steve largely started out that way in the beginning 35+ years ago. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

Participated in the kidnapping for the money but won't kill her or hurt her as opposed to Vincent's mind control torture of Ben who he programmed to strangle Ciara. So yeah, in the Salem world Rhodes is still a gray character who could eventually go either way if he lived that long.  He's a hired thug basically.  Steve largely started out that way in the beginning 35+ years ago. 

Yes, another person who had the potential to be a good villain, wasted.  When will the writers realize that we don't really want all-powerful big bads, capable of doing ridiculously over the top things?  I think the kind of menacing characters, who have done bad things in the past, but MIGHT be redeemable/capable of good are much more intriguing.   We don't really know which way their character will go in any given situation.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, sweetautumn said:

If my memory was correct, Cady and Hunt used tongues in their kissing scenes, and they practiced acrobatics together like her jumping in his arms or him lifting her up over his shoulder etc. They were probably already dating by the time the Rosanna/Craig storyline began. 

By the way, does anyone knows if Cady's exit is permanent or she would come back sometimes later? If Ms. "I wanted to move on and explore other options" VK can return, there's no reason Cady can't.

About Mike Manning, I thought he had good coupling chemistry with Isabela Durant. 

Yeah that was pretty much the case. I don't know if its permanent I guess they could bring her back if needed but I don't think the show is that interested in writing for Jennifer regardless of actress(when I mean show I mean Ron as she's not the type of character he's interested in writing for see: Adrienne, Hope, Kayla)

• Love 3
On 2/24/2021 at 12:41 AM, Silver Raven said:

Dan Wells, who played "Stan" when Sami pretended to be a man, will be back playing Stan. 

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2021/02/dan-wells-stan-the-man-days-of-our-lives

Is that the website that just makes "news" from social media posts?  If so, they probably got it from Dan Wells' instagram that he posted, then deleted.  You can see the pics on the DR site:  https://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/social-media-for-the-week-of-february-22nd-2021-t42805-s30.html#p2079272

Also, this is kinda cool:

Edited by buffynut
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Jackee was so good on 227.  I'm hoping they give her something with a bit of substance with work with here but I'm not holding my breath.  This Show is so All-Over-The-Place with which characters they give something meaningful to, and which characters are mostly just making noises with their mouths.  

Do we know how far ahead they are with filming episodes now?  I thought we'd have seen her by now.  

• Love 3
19 hours ago, buffynut said:

Is that the website that just makes "news" from social media posts?  If so, they probably got it from Dan Wells' instagram that he posted, then deleted.  You can see the pics on the DR site:  https://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/social-media-for-the-week-of-february-22nd-2021-t42805-s30.html#p2079272

As much as I'd love to see Dan Wells back, I cannot trust RC to not take a fun, campy storyline and boil it to unappealing mush. This show really is a Monkey's paw.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Do we know how far ahead they are with filming episodes now?  I thought we'd have seen her by now.  

It says she's starting on Monday. I don't know if that helps determine anything. I feel like I saw someone here say they're like 8 weeks ahead but I could easily be making that up lol.

(edited)

I cannot believe I'm saying this...but if the character is needed for story reasons, I kind of hope that Mansi returns just so we can see how Gwen plays opposite the Psycho Abby we love to hate.

**TEMPORARILY**

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

"In addition, once th  actress gives birth, Marci will be on maternity leave from Days of our Lives. And that means Abigail can’t stick around Salem. So, that means they’ll write an exit plot for Abigail Deveraux. Or they’ll need to recast the role. Kate Mansi’s the usual Abigail substitute."

Soap Dirt always leaves a lot to be desired, but this article is particularly badly written. Talk about redundancy and stating the obvious. Once the actress gives birth she'll be on maternity leave! 🙄No kidding. Unless you have a really shady employer you generally can't return to work without sufficient medical leave and a doctor's note.  The character will either have to be written out or recast. 🙄 You don't say?  Is there even a third option?  I'm almost surprised they didn't write, "And that means she'll either have a boy or a girl."

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I cannot believe I'm saying this...but if the character is needed for story reasons, I kind of hope that Mansi returns just so we can see how Gwen plays opposite the Psycho Abby we love to hate.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886a41dlhyfawrw5zduk2

• LOL 13

LOLOLOLOL!

I deserve that.

But honestly, I wish we could get Mansi for all the scenes where Abs goes crazy. She just does it better. Miller looks like she spends her days watering plants.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Does anyone know why we're still seeing Cady McClain when it was reported that she'd be done in February?  Is she actually "OUT", or was the date of her last episode wrong?  

It was right but then it was reported that she was back shortly for these phone calls. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe she was sitting there thinking, as we now are, "um.....so is THIS my last scene now....?"

OMG, I just realized we're about to be free of BOTH Jennifer and Abigail....!!!

Disney-Frozen-image-disney-frozen-361657

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Does anyone know why we're still seeing Cady McClain when it was reported that she'd be done in February?  Is she actually "OUT", or was the date of her last episode wrong?  

According to the DR site people, she wasn't actually back on set, just that they taped some scenes for later episodes, before she left. 

I also think I read there, that Days only had Cady for a certain length of time, which sounded like it was her choice to leave, not the shows.  But I could have misinterpreted the cryptic post. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'd been wondering about that, too. Very weird that they brought her back to film these phone calls. And she seems off to me in them, too.

As weird as Will’s holiday return. It’s like they ask fired actors if they’d do a clip and then when they agree they’re surprised and like “oh shit!” And slap together a throwaway scene that’s random AF. 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Did Will get an exit scene after his quick return? I don't remember. 

Nope it was a blink and you'll miss it. Much like Theo's 

At least JJ got a bit of an exit.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the end Jack's scenes will be with Gwen and Abby. If we're lucky Steve/Justin.

JJ/Jennifer are erased from his family narrative.  Its like they're intentionally killing the show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Nope it was a blink and you'll miss it. Much like Theo's 

At least JJ got a bit of an exit.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the end Jack's scenes will be with Gwen and Abby. If we're lucky Steve/Justin.

JJ/Jennifer are erased from his family narrative.  Its like they're intentionally killing the show.

I could take or leave Jack / MA at this point. All his best scene partners are gone and he sometimes makes outlandish acting choices.

Today in his work opposite Chad they were both awful and just drug each other down. Just shouting and rambling inanely, try the decaf Boys. 

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Today in his work opposite Chad they were both awful and just drug each other down. Just shouting and rambling inanely, try the decaf Boys. 

When I watched Guiding Light, there was someone on the board I posted on who used to make fun of Justin Deas' spitting, sputtering and windmill arms in his scenes.  I like Matthew Ashford but I was reminded of that person making fun of Justin Deas during those scenes with Billy Flynn/Chad.  It wasn't great.  

I'm happy to be getting more of Cady McClain but those scenes seem a little odd with her talking on the phone with no real interaction with another character in her actual environment.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

I'm happy to be getting more of Cady McClain but those scenes seem a little odd with her talking on the phone with no real interaction with another character in her actual environment.  

It doesn't make any sense lol. Like did they owe her some episodes or something? I don't get the point.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I just think they wanted to establish Jennifer's longer stay in Boston and since they had Cady on set they figured they would shoot those scenes and air them when they needed. 

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

It doesn't make any sense lol. Like did they owe her some episodes or something? I don't get the point.

Someone in accounting discovered that they paid her for more scenes than filmed/aired in so they wrote these telephone calls to avoid requesting she refund part of her payroll check. The budget's too tight to have written it off as a bonus. 😆

• LOL 4