Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

On 12/11/2020 at 12:37 PM, howmanywords said:

OMG I love this woman!

Linda Dano Joins Days of Our Lives!

OMG OMG OMG YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!  Merry Christmas to me.  I miss my AW so so much I cannot wait to see her....even if it is on this suck ass show I don’t care...I just need a glimpse of my yester-years when life was happier and covid free.  Now if they can dress her just one day in a caftan with feathers I can die a happy woman!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

According to the article, it sounds like the latter.

General Hospital star Jon Lindstrom, who happens to be the real-life husband of Days of Our Lives’ Cady McClain, will temporarily be stepping in for Matthew Ashford in order to showcase some upcoming scenes between Jack and Jennifer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Jon Lindstrom will be temporarily stepping in as Jack.  I don't know if it's because Matthew Ashford had to be elsewhere--perhaps relating to his mother's death or father's health.  Or if this is just some kind of B&B thing where they want to give them a love scene so they'll use JL as a stand-in.

That site is just piggybacking off of the speculation that resulted from a few people who noticed that Cady's husband was listed in the credits yesterday as a Jack body-double.  That's it.  He was listed as a body-double.  It's nothing more than that at the moment.  It's not nearly anything as big or the same as when Cady took over for Missy Reeves, but this site tries to imply that it is.  No credible source has said anything about Matt Ashford leaving or anything like that.  They are taking twitter posts and speculation and dressing it up as if they have some insider info, but don't reveal anything more than the original speculation about why her husband was credited as a body double.  This article conveniently didn't appear until AFTER the talk yesterday. 

Personally, I hate these blogs/sites that try to present themselves as having exclusive, insider information when all they're doing is dressing up and rehashing spoilers that have already been widely released.  I guess it's the same as anyone else talking about spoilers, but most others aren't trying to sell themselves as actual publications with actual real spoilers or insider knowledge.

Edited by KBrownie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, KBrownie said:

That site is just piggybacking off of the speculation that resulted from a few people who noticed that Cady's husband was listed in the credits yesterday as a Jack body-double.  It's nothing more than that at the moment.  It's not nearly anything as big or the same as when Cady took over for Missy Reeves, but this site tries to imply that it is.  They are taking twitter posts and speculation and dressing it up as if they have some insider info, but don't reveal anything more than the original speculation about why her husband was credited as a body double.  This article conveniently didn't appear until AFTER the talk yesterday. 

Personally, I hate these blogs/sites that try to present themselves as having exclusive, insider information when all they're doing is dressing up and rehashing spoilers that have already been widely released.  I guess it's the same as anyone else talking about spoilers, but most others aren't trying to sell themselves as actual publications with actual real spoilers or insider knowledge.

Jason47 says the same thing and he’s seldom wrong 👌🏼 🤷‍♀️ 

John Lindstorm is coming on for some reconciliation & probably sex scenes w Cadi/ Jenn. You mentioned no credible source said this but I’ve found he’s pretty respected as a spoiler sharer and Days historian. 

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

YES! I really get annoyed trying to read those meandering "articles" that amount to total speculation dressed up as news.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Jason47 says the same thing and he’s seldom wrong 👌🏼 🤷‍♀️ 

John Lindstorm is coming on for some reconciliation & probably sex scenes w Cadi/ Jenn. You mentioned no credible source said this but I’ve found he’s pretty respected as a spoiler sharer and Days historian. 

What I meant is that no credible source is reporting that Jon Lindstrom is taking over for Matt Ashford for Jack in the same way that Cady took over for Missy Reeves as Jennifer.  That is what that first article and others are implying when it's not remotely the same thing.  Body doubles aren't usually casting news, but this is a COVID-unique situation.  Jon isn't playing the role of Jack in replacement of Matt Ashford.  He's a body stand-in.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KBrownie said:

Thank you.  I normally do too.  This was just the first I was reading of it so I wanted to see what others knew.

• Love 2

What I meant is that no credible source is reporting that Jon Lindstrom is taking over for Matt Ashford for Jack in the same way that Cady took over for Missy Reeves as Jennifer.  That is what that first article and others are implying when it's not remotely the same thing.  Body doubles aren't usually casting news, but this is a COVID-unique situation.  Jon isn't playing the role of Jack in replacement of Matt Ashford.  He's a body stand-in.  

Oh I was confused. Yes Jon’s coming on so “Jack” and “Jen” can have sex. 

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Thank you.  I normally do too.  This was just the first I was reading of it so I wanted to see what others knew.

No problem.

I'm normally just a lurker around here, but I just happened to watch this whole thing play out "live" yesterday due to having more time to spend on Twitter as a result of being on vacation, so I wanted to share what I knew.

I was following the Days tag live as the show was airing yesterday and almost immediately after the show ended, someone pointed out that the credits had listed Cady's husband as a Jack body-double.  Most people correctly chalked it up to being a result of COVID restrictions/social distancing and a few people started in on the whole "omg, wouldn't it be just GREAT if MA left too so Cady could act w/ her husband!," but that was the exception.

A few hours later, all these other blogs/websites that try to pass themselves off as reputable sources had their posts/articles hinting at Jon Lindstrom replacing Matt Ashford as if it was a big scoop, but never once saying that Twitter was their source and that it wasn't nearly what they were suggesting.  A total mountain out of a molehill.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Well I don't know if it will be sex scenes, but today when Jack and Jennifer kissed on NYE, it was JOn kissing Cady.

• Useful 1
26 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Makes me wonder if Jack/Laura had a kid aka Gwen.

I prefer the speculation that since Gwen was first shown in the mental institution with Claire, that Laura once treated her.  Possibly at the same time she was treating Abigail and she has some knowledge about Gwen or insight into her motivations and that's why she comes to town.  

If would be even better if maybe Laura's return doesn't have anything to do with Gwen.  That would be great.  That a veteran character with such a rich history and her own child and grandchild, and great-grandchildren in Salem isn't used for the useless, pointless, and tired Gwen.

I don't know, I'm not on board with some of these incessant assertions that Gwen HAS to be Jack's. First she was Jack's kid from when he was off-screen.  Then she was his from Kate when she was sniffing around Jack in '93.  Then it was the Jennifer clone from '04.  Now, Laura's returning so it must be her!  

Yeah, it's possible, but I'm not thinking that Jack is going to be given a random kid coming on the heels of the random cheating storyline that ended up being totally pointless.  TPTB have already messed up Jack's characterization with the cheating, now they want to throw in a random child too?  Whatever . . . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think they would only because the show doesn't care for Jack that much and he's shown as the screwup I would prefer the show surprise me and not go there but considering they acted like Jennifer was wrong to be bothered that Jack slept with Kate while she was in a coma this isn't much of a reach either. Plus they're the only couple that has so far been untainted with an outside child I mean they resurrected Swamp Thing for Bo so this isn't nearly as out there in comparison.  However the only thing that would keep me from thinking the show would give Jack an outside daughter is that Abby is the golden child and they wouldn't have her status threatened.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 2

I prefer the speculation that since Gwen was first shown in the mental institution with Claire, that Laura once treated her.  Possibly at the same time she was treating Abigail and she has some knowledge about Gwen or insight into her motivations and that's why she comes to town.  

If would be even better if maybe Laura's return doesn't have anything to do with Gwen.  That would be great.  That a veteran character with such a rich history and her own child and grandchild, and great-grandchildren in Salem isn't used for the useless, pointless, and tired Gwen.

I am 150% on board with both of these thoughts.

I too notice that Ron seems mostly interested in bringing back vets just to prop up his new "original" characters (Viv with *groan* StefanNo/Jake.....Ava with Charlie) and considering Laura's long history and many ties to the canvas, it would feel like a waste if she were only around to talk about Gwen....

....but I do really love the idea that maybe she treated her and maybe that sparked Gwen's interest in the Horton family. Bit of a Vincent vibe there.

I wouldn't be surprised though if she's just back so Jack and Jen can renew their vows...a la Valerie, who never gets to do much except be an extra.

Anyway I'm glad she's making a visit.

• Love 4

Well this would explain Bryan's post the other day makes me think we're going to get a resurrection of a Lucas/Sami/EJ triangle. I rather not tbh but recasting EJ makes a lot more sense than the recasts of other characters.  I can't picture DG in the role though.

19 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Well this would explain Bryan's post the other day makes me think we're going to get a resurrection of a Lucas/Sami/EJ triangle. I rather not tbh but recasting EJ makes a lot more sense than the recasts of other characters.  I can't picture DG in the role though.

It sounds more like wishful thinking of the actor hoping for a job.

It looks like the mentions of the vampire ....I mean DG mentioning Days on Twitter have been deleted. He went way past wearing out his welcome on Y&R so I'd rather not see him on any other show I watch regularly. His character on Y&R was an emotional vampire and at times his selfies on IG made him look like an actual vampire too which explains the beginning of my post.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Days needs to stop with these recasts. If they want to bring on a new actor/actress than write an original compelling character for them.  Recasting major players/established characters is a major flop and a huge turn-off.  My finger is itching on the change channel button. 

• Love 6

I don’t see it flying unless Ali Sweeney sells the SHIT out of it which isn’t possible with this writing and budget. 

I mean l wouldn’t even want to see it unless it was some catch for a recast and had some dope location shoots and built up the story and had great dialogue. To be honest they did Ali Sweeney dirty Af with her return. 

Old response  but don’t give a damn about Vivian coming back,  I do love Linda Dano tho and wish was a stand alone character, maybe an old business rival of Victor’s or knew Marlena in College (she would kill that!)  I also feel like Ron thinks it’s this cute gag to have rotating people play the same role like the assistant on Murphy Brown or Q in James Bond but this isn’t spoofs on some college kid’s IG story this is a show that’s aired on tv daily for 55 years, some of our great grandparents watched this shit. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I don’t see it flying unless Ali Sweeney sells the SHIT out of it which isn’t possible with this writing and budget. 

I mean l wouldn’t even want to see it unless it was some catch for a recast and had some dope location shoots and built up the story and had great dialogue. To be honest they did Ali Sweeney dirty Af with her return. 

Old response  but don’t give a damn about Vivian coming back,  I do love Linda Dano tho and wish was a stand alone character, maybe an old business rival of Victor’s or knew Marlena in College (she would kill that!)  I also feel like Ron thinks it’s this cute gag to have rotating people play the same role like the assistant on Murphy Brown or Q in James Bond but this isn’t spoofs on some college kid’s IG story this is a show that’s aired on tv daily for 55 years, some of our great grandparents watched this shit. 

Ron must pride (and delude) himself as the next Ryan Murphy making seasons of American Horror Story.  It's a horror all right but not one likely to earn him any Emmys.  Hell it's been over 20 years and I still see Josh Taylor as Chris Kostichek, not Roman. Of course it doesn't help that there was no change in appearance...or the fact that Roman now runs a restaurant and comments on other character's plots much like Chris used to do.  Worse yet was CdP as Eve. I never bought it. Several inches taller and a distinct twang to her voice sure didn't help. The revolving door of cast members isn't working for Days. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Worse yet was CdP as Eve. I never bought it. Several inches taller and a distinct twang to her voice sure didn't help. The revolving door of cast members isn't working for Days. 

I'm so distracted by the fact that Allie is so tall.  Both Sami and Lucas are short.  Their child should not be that tall.  ( I know that even as a very young child she towered over Johnny who was supposed to be EJ's but, again, I think that was just really bad casting.)

4 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Days needs to stop with these recasts. If they want to bring on a new actor/actress than write an original compelling character for them.  Recasting major players/established characters is a major flop and a huge turn-off.  My finger is itching on the change channel button. 

Or have these actors play characters we should've seen on the show years ago like Andrew Donovan, Mike Horton etc. rather than making them retcons to established characters as a manipulative attempt to get the audience to like the character. 

1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

I'm so distracted by the fact that Allie is so tall.  Both Sami and Lucas are short.  Their child should not be that tall.  ( I know that even as a very young child she towered over Johnny who was supposed to be EJ's but, again, I think that was just really bad casting.)

That's not necessarily true my brother is 6'2 and neither of my parents were that tall(however my father had tall uncles) I mean its possible Allie could've gotten her height from Marlena.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Or have these actors play characters we should've seen on the show years ago like Andrew Donovan, Mike Horton etc. rather than making them retcons to established characters as a manipulative attempt to get the audience to like the character. 

This! Yes! I've often thought it's odd we've never gotten an adult Andrew Donovan. He was such a huge deal as a baby.  There's also Allie's siblings, Sydney and Johnny up for grabs.  I'd even be okay with Stefanie Johnson and Jeremy Horton recast as the previous ones didn't do much to establish the character.  Kind-of like how the actresses before Kristin Alfonso and Mary Beth Evans didn't own' those characters.  But people like Vivian and EJ  should be left alone if the actor/actress who has put the character on the map is no longer available. Days needs to learn it's okay to let sleeping dogs lie.  Heck, Orpheus was off screen for over 2 decades and while I missed his character, I wouldn't want to see anyone else try to play him. GD makes him who he is. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

This! Yes! I've often thought it's odd we've never gotten an adult Andrew Donovan. He was such a huge deal as a baby.  There's also Allie's siblings, Sydney and Johnny up for grabs.  I'd even be okay with Stefanie Johnson and Jeremy Horton recast as the previous ones didn't do much to establish the character.  Kind-of like how the actresses before Kristin Alfonso and Mary Beth Evans didn't own' those characters.  But people like Vivian and EJ  should be left alone if the actor/actress who has put the character on the map is no longer available. Days needs to learn it's okay to let sleeping dogs lie.  Heck, Orpheus was off screen for over 2 decades and while I missed his character, I wouldn't want to see anyone else try to play him. GD makes him who he is. 

He would fill the Brady void and isn't related to everyone yet they give us retcon Dimeras nobody asked for.

• Love 4

If Kristen and Jennifer can be recast(although I don't care for either) EJ sure can. However I also don't want it either. I do think if Sami is sticking around they would to resolve the EJ part for a few episodes at least if it comes to pass.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I disagree. Some decent recasts are Chad, Kate, Jennifer (so far, so good) and Brady. Let's face it, not every recast will be a hit with viewers, but at least it gives the character(s) a chance to tell the rest of their story. I, for one, would welcome an EJ recast.

That said, I totally agree Eve is/was the worst recast in Days history.

• Love 2

Everyone still talks about EJ like he's a zombie vegetable, so they don't even need to recast with an actor.  Just wrap a blow up doll in bandages, throw on some sunglasses and they can Weekend at Bernies him for a bit.  Then, Abby can sex the blow up doll to death as revenge on Chad for cheating with Gwen, and the problem is solved lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

If Kristen and Jennifer can be recast(although I don't care for either)...

Thats cause you can't recast Kristen, not really. She is ED, just as Hope is KA and Doc is DH.

But this show doesn't seem to care about what works or doesn't. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, MsTree said:

I disagree. Some decent recasts are Chad, Kate, Jennifer (so far, so good) and Brady. Let's face it, not every recast will be a hit with viewers, but at least it gives the character(s) a chance to tell the rest of their story. I, for one, would welcome an EJ recast.

That said, I totally agree Eve is/was the worst recast in Days history.

Every time Jennifer (CM) is on screen I forget it's actually Jennifer. MR started on there as a teenager; she is Jennifer. I don't always like Jennifer, but she's it none the less.  I still miss original Chad. He wasn't a dork like the current one.  And that's part of the problem with recasts, what happens isn't telling the rest of their story so much as it's rewriting their character.

47 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Thats cause you can't recast Kristen, not really. She is ED, just as Hope is KA and Doc is DH.

But this show doesn't seem to care about what works or doesn't. 

This! With ya 100%

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

And that's part of the problem with recasts, what happens isn't telling the rest of their story so much as it's rewriting their character.

Yes, This 100%.

It used to be that they'd either find someone so similar that it'd be a relatively easy transition (the last two actresses to play Josie Watts Sinclair on Another World for example were a good example of this) or someone with a similar spirit but also enough skill and uniqueness that audiences might not hate seeing the character go in a slightly new direction (like the two very different but somewhat similar Lorna Devons on AW, played by brunette Alicia C and redhead Robin C).

I was rooting for CM to succeed as Jennifer because I dislike MR's politics/views/ignorance/whatever....but CM hasn't been given good (or any?) notes about how to calibrate her performance. Its cheesy and too big. I doubt anyone is telling her.

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't bring back Reeves' previous replacement from the 90s. Does that gal not act anymore? She wasn't amazing...but she might have sufficed for the time being. Of course, Missy may never return. I don't see the point in Jack and Jennifer honestly so this recast doesn't affect me much.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Yes, This 100%.

It used to be that they'd either find someone so similar that it'd be a relatively easy transition (the last two actresses to play Josie Watts Sinclair on Another World for example were a good example of this) or someone with a similar spirit but also enough skill and uniqueness that audiences might not hate seeing the character go in a slightly new direction (like the two very different but somewhat similar Lorna Devons on AW, played by brunette Alicia C and redhead Robin C).

I was rooting for CM to succeed as Jennifer because I dislike MR's politics/views/ignorance/whatever....but CM hasn't been given good (or any?) notes about how to calibrate her performance. Its cheesy and too big. I doubt anyone is telling her.

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't bring back Reeves' previous replacement from the 90s. Does that gal not act anymore? She wasn't amazing...but she might have sufficed for the time being. Of course, Missy may never return. I don't see the point in Jack and Jennifer honestly so this recast doesn't affect me much.

Stephanie Cameron and no she doesn't act anymore I think they only got her because she resembled MR(and was dating one of the producers at the time I think) but it wasn't the same either. They also dumbed Jennifer down considerably too.  Cady is a way better actress at least. Outside of Cady's scenes with JJ I haven't warmed up to her Jennifer at all. 

If MR doesn't return I would've been fine with them killing Jennifer off and pairing off Jack/Nicole so both can embrace their dark sides I'd be spared Rafe/Nicole as well. Or just have Jack deal with his kids problems by himself like Jennifer had to all these years he was gone. 

Kind of OT I also didn't mind the Josie transition although I loved Amy Carlson at least her replacement seemed like Josie for the most part so it wasn't jarring(like the rest of the show was at the time).

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Every time Jennifer (CM) is on screen I forget it's actually Jennifer. MR started on there as a teenager; she is Jennifer. I don't always like Jennifer, but she's it none the less.  I still miss original Chad. He wasn't a dork like the current one.  And that's part of the problem with recasts, what happens isn't telling the rest of their story so much as it's rewriting their character.

That has always been the problem with the show recasting a character.   Days tend to change the character to fit the new actor's strength and that is a mistake in my opinion.  A character's essence should remain intact so that they remain recognizable to the audience even if they look different. It is why Roman was such a great recast. Wayne's Roman and Drake's Roman remained the same character despite their different looks.  Conversely, Peter's Bo and RKK's Bo looked alike but the latter was never Bo to me. I know that he had lots of fans especially when he was paired with Billie but I was never interested in Bo when he was there. However as soon as Peter came back, I became enthralled with Bo again.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Forgot to mention another good recast (IMO) is Abigail. I like Marci's acting 1000 times more than KM...and hope Marci stays for the long haul.

Plus, Marci is now more believable (resemblance) as new Jennifer's daughter.

• Love 6

Cady McClain uses her voice in a different way than Missy Reeves, so while I enjoy MR and sometimes imagine how she might interpret a scene, I don't think CM is a cheesy variation of Jennifer Rose Horton.  McClain is simply doing her own thing, which she should.  Although, I'd would agree that McClain may have been miscast as Jennifer, because I think the way they write Jennifer at this point is a mostly flaccid character.  And Cady McClain plays a force to be reckoned with.  

Happy to see Victoria Platt again.  Guiding Light was my show many moons ago, and it's nice to see anyone who reminds me of the show before it became totally un-watchable.  Plus, I thought she did some good work last time she was  in the Salem Universe.  

Okay, Cady McClain's fan club signing out!  

• Love 7

I am a longtime fan of Melissa Reeves as Jennifer, but I’m okay with Cady.  Matthew Ashford has usually had his job dictated by MR’s comings and goings.  I’m just happy he’s got a job because I love him.  
I think Marci is a huge improvement as Abigail.  

• Love 5

I do like that MA is sticking around but its the show's fault that they didn't see him beyond Jennifer and they still don't tbh they just changed Jennifer instead.

I think Cady would've made a better Kimberly Brady recast tbh.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AttackTurtle said:

Matthew Ashford has usually had his job dictated by MR’s comings and goings.  

I know this idea gets repeated often, but is it really true?  Or fair?

Isn't when Jack and Jennifer left for London in 2006 the only time that MA and MR either left or came back at the same time?  I'm too lazy to look the actual dates, but all the other times MA left/came back it wasn't like MR left and then Jack was cut.  Or that MR came back and then Jack was needed so they immediately brought MA back.  And MA was doing other things when he wasn't on Days, so it was their loss.

MA left in '93 and MR didn't.  They had the recast Jack with MR there.  MR left and MA still didn't come back and both characters were gone for awhile.  Then MR came back in '99-'00 (?) and MA wasn't back until like a year later ('01?).  MR was there until they both left in 2006, but MA was caught up in that whole thing where they killed everyone off and brought them back in '04-'05.  And I'm not sure how their later returns worked during the 2010's except for MA's latest return where MR hadn't left for awhile.

Now I'm not saying that Matt Ashford and the character of Jack haven't been undervalued or treated like they should, b/c they haven't, but I don't really think it's fair to link it to or blame MR.  She's not here now and his story has been completely nonsensical, messed up Jack's characterization and overall sucked.  Yeah, MA is working, but it's not like it's anything spectacular.  People act like he sat around doing nothing while MR was there and now that she's gone he can spread his wings and soar or something.  He most recently had the whole amnesia/Eve mess in 2019 that certainly didn't have much to do with Jennifer/MR and none of that, except for Jack getting his memory back, was all that great for the character of Jack. 

Edited by KBrownie
Completed last sentence.
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I do like that MA is sticking around but its the show's fault that they didn't see him beyond Jennifer and they still don't tbh they just changed Jennifer instead.

I actually do think that has changed somewhat with Ron.  Maybe not much with Corday but Ron hasn't written him as existing only within Jennifer's POV.  During the Jack as Mayor/Eve storyline, Jennifer was there and had things to do but that story didn't center around her.  She was kind of sidelined.  And while both Jack and Jennifer are involved in this Gwen story, it's Jack who got the big confrontation. 

8 hours ago, KBrownie said:

I don't really think it's fair to link it to or blame MR

This is the first time since 1993 that MA has been on the show without MR.  The show keeps trying to do MR/Jennifer stories and MA was on the show if Jack was a part of that. 

We can debate the quality of the stories but this is probably the first time since late 80s/early 90s where Jack's life isn't exclusively  about how he relates to Jennifer. 

I'm not sure how their later returns worked during the 2010's except for MA's latest return where MR hadn't left for awhile.

MR came back after Jennifer's London stint and Jack was said to be doing some sort of walkabout in Australia (or something like that) when in reality, he had been held hostage.  He was back for about nine months and the show killed him (again).  I think it was so Jennifer could "move on" and they knew fans weren't going to be happy with the lame walk about story.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3