Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

My recollection was that it was over and done with within three weeks. Or maybe I was just unimpressed with the show for introducing the storyline in the first place because the situation made no sense. A District Attorney doesn't understand how to file the correct paperwork so that their daughter can become US citizen? Ooookay. That, and JJ and Haley had no chemistry.

Good memory though Boes.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

My recollection was that it was over and done with within three weeks. Or maybe I was just unimpressed with the show for introducing the storyline in the first place because the situation made no sense. A District Attorney doesn't understand how to file the correct paperwork so that their daughter can become US citizen? Ooookay. That, and JJ and Haley had no chemistry.

Good memory though Boes.

Well, it felt like it went on forever.....

• LOL 3
On 9/18/2020 at 3:48 PM, DisneyBoy said:

....that was a big story? I totally forgot it happened. I'd say it was a footnote in the overall Jennifer wants Jack to get his Memories Back story.

I agree with @boes. It wasn't a particularly good story but it went on for a while.  In fact, I thought the angle of Jennifer wanting Jack to get his memories back played a backseat to Eve's shenanigans which included pushing Jack back into politics and then wanting to keep him with her.

But I don't think MR's opinions had any effect on whether or not she had any story with Will.  Lucas is somewhat of an afterthought as a Horton.  Will is even less established as a relation. 

I know people hear about her allegedly telling the show that she'd leave if they tried to bring back Peter Blake and might think that this is de rigeur for her.  I don't think it is. I think the Peter Blake situation is very specific.  And I think it's a request that is highly....influenced, shall we say, by her husband's feelings.  People who didn't watch in the 80s might not know that Melissa did not come to LA super duper religious in the way she is now.  She was dating and lived with Jon Hensley (Holden, ATWT) before she started dating Scott.  Scott was the one who demanded she leave DOOL immediately when he found out about the affair which is what led to the show suing her.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:48 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I remember back on Another World when someone else stepped in for Jensen Buchanan as Vicky for a few days or weeks and everyone was very excited about her because people were tired of hearing about Jensen's Diva antics. I think her name was...Cynthia Watros...? How the hell do I remember that? The point is, people were really excited to see another actress in the part who could potentially do good things with it. Melissa will always *be* Jennifer

That's a good memory.  Jensen's antics might have been part of it but I think people being excited to see Cynthia boiled down to the fact that two actresses before Jensen had played Vicky.  Both had won awards for their portrayal and were popular.  She was a "successful" recast by most standards but if you polled the AW audience, many would have taken Anne Heche (me) or even Ellen Wheeler back in a second over her. Another factor was that some of her demands about only wanting to play one twin led to the merging of the "good" twin and the "bad" twin into one character.  So the character she was playing lacked a certain punch she should have had.

I looked forward to CW because she had just killed it on Guiding Light and I hoped she could bring back some of that spark.  She did.  Too bad it was so short lived.

So the situations were a bit different.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Is it true that Cynthia Preston is the new Eve Donovan  ?that she replaced Kassie DePaiva ?

I hope it is true . Atleast she somewhat looks younger than Charles Shaunessy .

Plus she is 9 years younger than Kassie. Atleast we will finally  have an age appropriate actress for the role . 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Rafael said:

Is it true that Cynthia Preston is the new Eve Donovan  ?that she replaced Kassie DePaiva ?

I hope it is true . Atleast she somewhat looks younger than Charles Shaunessy .

Plus she is 9 years younger than Kassie. Atleast we will finally  have an age appropriate actress for the role . 

When I read the name, Cynthia Preston, the first thing that came to mind was the character by that name who Jane Elliot played on AMC in the mid 80's.

• Love 1

Kassie was ill - I'd forgotten. I was wondering why they'd replace her, seeing as how she's terrific and beautiful but yeah..she needs to be careful.

Even if there weren't so many cast departures, these recasts would be hard to accept....but now there's this double whammy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, howmanywords said:

I searched everywhere and I don't see a single thing about Cynthia joining the show. 

It was a quick rumor many many many months ago.  But I don't think it was a rumor in one of the places with really good insiders.   I don't remember when it came out exactly but I remember thinking if she appeared, it would have been in Aug./Sep. That clearly wasn't the case.

ETA: Now, there might be a new rumor or it's popping up again. I don't really dive deep into DOOL outside of this forum.  But months ago was the last I briefly heard about it.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, boes said:

When I read the name, Cynthia Preston, the first thing that came to mind was the character by that name who Jane Elliot played on AMC in the mid 80's.

Making it extra ironic was Cynthia Preston the actress being on GH along with Jane Elliot (Tracy Quartermaine), who played the character of Cynthia Preston on All My Children eons ago!

On 9/30/2020 at 1:44 AM, DisneyBoy said:

Friend to Tripp....or boyfriend to Claire? Maybe both..?

I remember Mike from the Real World. Given that Mike is openly queer I wish they'd actually repopulate the LGBT pop here which is currently zero, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That's why he looked familiar!

I think that was one of the last seasons of the show I watched. He was openly bi with a preference towards men and I thought he was just about the cutest. It looks like Mike has been acting on MBE's show The Bay.

• Love 3
On 9/18/2020 at 2:26 PM, cmahorror said:

I'm interested to see what happens with Cady and what her chemistry is like with MA. He was always good at creating chemistry and working the story he was handed, it was his idea to have Jack flirt with Jennifer, so I think it may work.

I'll just paint a target on myself and admit that I'm very interested to seee Cady as Jennifer. I'm not a particular fan of Cady's but MR wore me out years ago. The writers have written Jennifer into a corner and Jack along with her for years. This could be a chance to let Jennifer act like an adult and, ya'll might want to sit down, let Jack be more than her devoted doormat. Early classic J&J was great but I need to see Jack try to prove himself worthy of Jennifer's love like I l need to spork out my right eye. Bonus points if the show brings back Peter Blake and Jack gets to call Jennifer on her past. Also, more bonus points if the show finally explores the Jack/Nicole chemistry.

• Love 7
Just now, CanaryFan98 said:

I would've gone for a Jack/Nicole pairing over the show recasting Jennifer tbh. 

Would be something fresh and different but at the same time I also don't want Ron writing it.

I also like Jack/Sami as well. It is why Jack/Marina was such a missed opportunity, I would love to see Jack interact with a bad girl while trying to fight his dark side.

• Love 2

Jack/Nicole, Jack/Sami...that's why I was so disappointed in Jack/Eve.  Jack has had chemistry with other women besides Jennifer so I thought he could have it with KDP but that story was just so awfully written and mean spirited that it couldn't really develop.

3 hours ago, JaneDigby said:

The writers have written Jennifer into a corner and Jack along with her for years. This could be a chance to let Jennifer act like an adult and, ya'll might want to sit down, let Jack be more than her devoted doormat.

I don't know that what they've done with Jack is specifically an MR thing. When J&J first got together, Jack arguably had the more well-rounded life/story.  JER is the one who decided that he wasn't necessary.  And JER's vision of the show is the one subsequent writers almost seem to see as the "real DOOL" as if what came before it didn't matter that much.

What's really interesting to me is that this the first time (*knock on wood*) that Missy's decision to leave hasn't meant the same for Jack/MAsh.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Jack/Nicole, Jack/Sami...that's why I was so disappointed in Jack/Eve.  Jack has had chemistry with other women besides Jennifer so I thought he could have it with KDP but that story was just so awfully written and mean spirited that it couldn't really develop.

I don't know that what they've done with Jack is specifically an MR thing. When J&J first got together, Jack arguably had the more well-rounded life/story.  JER is the one who decided that he wasn't necessary.  And JER's vision of the show is the one subsequent writers almost seem to see as the "real DOOL" as if what came before it didn't matter that much.

What's really interesting to me is that this the first time (*knock on wood*) that Missy's decision to leave hasn't meant the same for Jack/MAsh.

Jack had chemistry with CR's Eve and if Jennifer weren't around I think Jack and CR's Eve would've been good. Jack and KDP's Eve didn't really have chemistry to me. I thought she had more chem with Casey Moss than Matthew Ashford despite the age difference.

Which is why if Jennifer were to be written out I do think this could be a good opportunity for the show to have Jack with someone edgier so he could go back to being edgier. I'll take it over a recast where to me at least it won't be the same because Jack might as well be paired with someone else.

Plus if he was paired with someone darker I rather see Abby dealing with that instead of her being a victim for the 2030th time.

I'd say JJ but the show doesn't care about him much.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Jack had chemistry with CR's Eve and if Jennifer weren't around I think Jack and CR's Eve would've been good. Jack and KDP's Eve didn't really have chemistry to me. I thought she had more chem with Casey Moss than Matthew Ashford despite the age difference.

Jack's chemistry with CR's Eve was awesome and they worked because they had no expectations and illusions if each other.  They were also very funny, Jack was able to be humorous without being a buffoon...

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

JER's stint changed the show for the worst, I really hated that era with the exception of Lumi, Kate and Lucas.. 

• Love 3

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm always dumping on Jack but....MA does not have sex appeal. He's somewhat okay in the Funny Dad/Buddy at the Bar kind of way but....no. Please don't ever force him on Sami or Nicole. No more love stories. I honestly couldn't believe foxy Kassie's Eve would want him after landing JJ and Brady.

I believe folks can be sexy at any age but...TV sexy is different.

5 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

JER's vision of the show is the one subsequent writers almost seem to see as the "real DOOL" as if what came before it didn't matter that much.

I liked the Kristen Era JER created, but I don't want or need the show to always be about that...Ron has recaptured some of that vibe but for the most part his work often feels like a strained imitation. I actually thought the show was in a better place in 2012 when I started watching again. It's a shame to see how it's been going downhill in various ways since.

It would be so interesting to see a return to the kind of storytelling that made Days popular before I was watching it. What would you guys compare it to now, if there's anything on the TV landscape that even remotely resembles it?

25 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm always dumping on Jack but....MA does not have sex appeal. He's somewhat okay in the Funny Dad/Buddy at the Bar kind of way but....no. Please don't ever force him on Sami or Nicole. No more love stories. I honestly couldn't believe foxy Kassie's Eve would want him after landing JJ and Brady.

I believe folks can be sexy at any age but...TV sexy is different.

Matthew Ashford in the 80's and early 90's was hot in that snobby preppy kind of way. I didn't watch the show until the late 90's so I didn't see Jack until he was turned into Wacky Jack, but I was surprised at how hot I found him in the early Jack and Jennifer clips. Then again I've always liked preppy guys. 

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm always dumping on Jack

His brand of sexy is different than the Brady or JJ way (neither of whom I really find sexy, actually--JJ's cute and I like him but...) I'm not saying you'd ever like him but I definitely think that's why it might be hard for you to see what others might see in him. 

Jack's chemistry with women is similar to Fred Astaire's chemistry with women. It is more of the madcap fun variety.  That's not to say there can't be angst or sadness but it's more flirtatious that foaming at the mouth. And no, it doesn't necessarily mean I need to see the couple ripping their clothes off but honesty?  ZZZZZZZZZ to most doing it, even the "hot" ones.

And it's harder to find that brand of chemistry on soaps than it is to find the latter which is why I always miss him when he's gone. It brings out something different in the women who share the screen with him when they play up that comedic side. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

His brand of sexy is different than the Brady or JJ way (neither of whom I really find sexy, actually--JJ's cute and I like him but...) I'm not saying you'd ever like him but I definitely think that's why it might be hard for you to see what others might see in him. 

Jack's chemistry with women is similar to Fred Astaire's chemistry with women. It is more of the madcap fun variety.  That's not to say there can't be angst or sadness but it's more flirtatious that foaming at the mouth. And no, it doesn't necessarily mean I need to see the couple ripping their clothes off but honesty?  ZZZZZZZZZ to most doing it, even the "hot" ones.

And it's harder to find that brand of chemistry on soaps than it is to find the latter which is why I always miss him when he's gone. It brings out something different in the women who share the screen with him when they play up that comedic side. 

Thank you for saying that, Jack sizzled with so many women on the show and it is all because of Matthew Ashford's wonderful interpretation of him.. Jack even had chemistry with Marlena.. Jack's sexiness is not the type that Ron likes, he does not have abs and a sculped body but his looks, intellect and his humor would be very attractive to women.. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Jack's chemistry with women is similar to Fred Astaire's chemistry with women. It is more of the madcap fun variety...and it's harder to find that brand of chemistry on soaps than it is to find the latter which is why I always miss him when he's gone.

Okay cool, I see that. I also prefer different kinds of energies and relationships...

These "blinds" are never much of one to begin with (not really referring to this one just in general)

12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I liked the Kristen Era JER created, but I don't want or need the show to always be about that...Ron has recaptured some of that vibe but for the most part his work often feels like a strained imitation. I actually thought the show was in a better place in 2012 when I started watching again. It's a shame to see how it's been going downhill in various ways since.

It would be so interesting to see a return to the kind of storytelling that made Days popular before I was watching it. What would you guys compare it to now, if there's anything on the TV landscape that even remotely resembles it?

This is Us maybe because it has family oriented drama but even that is a stretch.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

This, like 1000%.  I much preferred Jack to the Steve/Bo/Roman types back in the day because he was very much the non-hero type.  As a matter of fact, the times he would try to be heroic usually failed miserably and made him even more relatable and likable (at least to me).  I remember really loving his friendship with Isabella... he was so careful and sweet and genuine with her which made Jennifer crazy at the time.  I think Jack is witty and cerebral and funny... which are all qualities that appeal to me personally, and still would appeal to me if they would just find writers that could capture the spirit of the character again.

• Love 8

The thing about Jack, he was complex. And with the great soap writers either retired or dead, finding a modern soap writer that understands complexity is like searching for Halley's Comet. The fact that Jack is still a popular character is because of Matt Ashford and the layers he used to be given to play on the regular.

And I still have mad respect that, despite the current writers forgetting or glossing over Jack's checkered past, that whenever he and Mary Beth Evans share scenes, they both manage to imbue Jack and Kayla with awkwardness, considering their history.

• Love 9
On 10/2/2020 at 2:03 AM, DisneyBoy said:

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm always dumping on Jack but....MA does not have sex appeal. He's somewhat okay in the Funny Dad/Buddy at the Bar kind of way but....no. Please don't ever force him on Sami or Nicole.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:01 AM, Irlandesa said:

Jack, and MA's portrayal of him, can be very compelling and even sexy. It all comes down to the writing. MA's doesn't exude the old DHo persona of ready-to-bed every woman in his vicinity. DHo as John or Roman isn't one of my faves but he could sell a love scene. (Please note the deliberate use of the past tense.) But good for him, soaps need actors like that. MA is at his best, imo, with verbal, conflicted characters. He delivers inner conflict and self-doubt. Put him with an overtly sexy female like Marina or that Kiriakis chick and he can sizzle. When Jack & Jenn are doing the witty banter, I'm all in. (That's the Fred Astaire chemistry. He's snappy and likes a gal who snaps back.) They've never worked for me as an angst couple, mainly because MR doesn't work for me as an angst actor. I'm not sure Jennifer works for me as an angst character. 

Unfortunately, the show saw fit to "fix" Jack circa 1990 and all his edges and self-doubt were reduced to fantasies/wacky visits from his dead fathers. I kid you not. Jack used to yearn for power and real love, that conflict made him interesting. I liked the idea of two shoot-yourself-in-the-foot artists such as Nicole and Jack getting together for some scam and then, well, getting together, all the while keeping each other real. But I can't blame anyone for looking at Jack at seeing a bumbling yaboob who occasionally delivers an emotional scene because that's really all he's done for nigh on 30 years now. I can't blame any single HW because all of them have done it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Jennifer was never really an angsty character I mean sure as a teen she was a bit bratty at first but she was more of a fun, positive, light character to offset the angst of everyone else around her. I mean her friends Carly, Billie, etc had the angst and she was the supportive friend.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

This isn’t tea or a “blind” lolz we all knew this. It’s amzing though CDAN or no one else exposed this is also the reason GV bounced. 

GV isn't nearly as disliked by people and GV told people that it was due to lack of storyline focus.

However Nashville where MR is. is having an uptick in Covid cases so its not that hard to believe that it really is about that at this point. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

GV isn't nearly as disliked by people and GV told people that it was due to lack of storyline focus.

However Nashville where MR is. is having an uptick in Covid cases so its not that hard to believe that it really is about that at this point. 

This isn’t tea or “blind” lolz we all knew this. It’s amazing though CDAN or no one else exposed this is also the reason GV bounced. 

• Love 1