Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

It's either Ron or Corday, I can't remember who, who said that WilSon will be coming back, but apparently Show hasn't contacted either actor about coming back.

I think it was Corday and he was sort of coy about it.  He said he doesn't envision them gone forever and expects them to come back but there wasn't really a promise but more like "hey, we didn't kill them off, we think they'll be back when we need them/want them."  Sort of like what happened with Eve, Kristen, Trip, JJ...etc.  So instead of coming up with a story for an actor because they're on contract like they used to do in the past, they're going to only use the actors/characters when they have a story in line.  It's far less secure for the actors. 

If I were a fan of Ciara and Ben, I don't think I'd want VK coming and going.  They are unlikely to keep Ben out of a relationship for a long time so either he's going to keep choosing Ciara, only for her to not choose him or he'll be choosing his other love interest over Ciara--whatever it takes to facilitate her departures unless she changes her mind and decides to stick around for longer.

• Love 3

Oh boy. Dont even entertain the thought of these CIN fanatics imagining Ben looking at another woman. I had to finally open my mouth on FB yesterday and school someone who thinks Ciara/Ben is the next Bo Hope. Reality check. Bo moved on to other women and wasnt exclusive to Hope.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

whatever it takes to facilitate her departures unless she changes her mind and decides to stick around for longer.

That's exactly what Ron said in the new SOD. 

Fans are splitting hairs and taking the crumbs they want. Ken saying that Vk will leave, return and leave again = to CIN fans "see they are going to be happy forever! LOVE WINS!1! They are taking the word recurring to mean she will simply work without a contract which I seriously doubt. Ken and Ron are both talking like they have to work around Ciara being off canvas. To be honest I think the scenes the other day of Ciara dreaming of the future with their child (and Ben doing the same this week apparently) is a consolation gift. Because in reality they arent going to have a happily ever after.

• Love 4

Hmm.  Not a huge Cady fan.  I guess it's good that it'd keep Jack around but I'm afraid that it's a temporary recast to write them off again because that's the way the show works. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1

Huh. Didn't love Dixie on AMC, what little I remember, but she looks like Marci Miller so....this could work. There'd be blowback though. Losing original Hope and Jennifer in the same year? Some fans will flip. But as others are speculating, this could bring Peter Blake back...

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

I think everyone is going to be on a part time basis even the vets hence why I think KA just decided to not return.

We're going to see a recycling of the cast until Days ends(which I think will be Sept 2021 at this rate).

I think JJ is there for that filler plot and MM's Abby will be here until that Gwen story is resolved. 

I don't see this show caring about J&J beyond their kids(namely Abby) otherwise they're just recurring characters.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Aren't they doing short arcs bringing actors in and out for short periods of time?

Characters-yes.  Actors?  Well only as far as it relates to the characters they want to use. 

It sounds like this is a COVID-related decision for her. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

According to DC its official.

Days Twitter is more interesting than the actual show.

I'm gonna sit back with some popcorn.

Some fans on twitter this morning were saying the Cady rumor was made up 😂 I loved Tad and Dixie on AMC so I'm looking forward to her!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, howmanywords said:

I'm gonna sit back with some popcorn.

Some fans on twitter this morning were saying the Cady rumor was made up 😂 I loved Tad and Dixie on AMC so I'm looking forward to her!

Well it came from Celebrity Dirty Laundry I don't blame them for thinking it was bogus tbh. When DC and SOD confirmed it then yes it has merit. 

1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

Cady McClain is married to Jon Lindstrom. She has some damn good taste. 

Yes although I don't know if you watch Y&R but Cady was on that show briefly and shared some scenes with Eileen Davidson's Ashley. Eileen used to be married to Jon. It cracked me up although credit to both actors neither seemed awkward.

• Love 3

Actually even before CDL (definitely trash!) someone noticed yesterday Cady started following like 8 Days actors on instagram and someone remembered that around the time it was rumored MR was getting fired a couple of months ago Cady's name was being tossed around as a recast. So this morning when twitter started analyzing the instagram follow thing a J&J fan chimed in saying they know for a fact no one is replacing Missy..whoops heh.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Huh. Didn't love Dixie on AMC, what little I remember, but she looks like Marci Miller so....this could work. There'd be blowback though. Losing original Hope and Jennifer in the same year? Some fans will flip. But as others are speculating, this could bring Peter Blake back...

Thats why im hoping Cady catches fire with the TIIC and perhaps the fans and then they can make her stint permanent. Then finally an actual DiMera (Peter Blake ) can finally make his return instead of being subjected to to these faux and long lost kids like freaking Jake and Stefan.

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 1

I'm not familiar with Cady McClain, but will give her a chance, if it keeps the character of Jennifer, and Jack, in Salem.  But it's going to be so strange with nu-Jennifer, nu-Claire, Eric-less Nicole, Ciara-less Ben, no Hope, MM's Abigail, etc.   But then again, these are strange times everywhere.

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 7

HMMMMM....I WONDER WHO THAT COULD BEEEE.....

🙄🙄🙄🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣

On the other hand, this is the natural assumption everyone is making right now because it's so easy. But as others have stated, I don't think people's political views have ever gotten them fired from Days of Our Lives.

I can't help but recall what you guys have said about Robert kelker-kelly and how various actresses banded together to express their displeasure. Given how Lamont, Lindsay and Sal were openly unimpressed with her online, that could have influenced the situation significantly.

What do you guys think? Did the cast voice open discomfort with the producers, or were their expressions of discomfort and disapproval online sufficient enough to make this change happen? Or did Melissa and the producers, who seem to have been on good terms, mutually agree to give her a break?

• Love 3

RKK made the work environment uncomfortable where he sexually harrassed his female co-stars on set. 

MR liking a few tweets and not saying much else in her off time isn't really the same IMO. Its not like Camila who said worse on IG and we know she's coming back.

Besides most of the actors bothered by it don't even work with her that much either or have that much pull with Days who got rid of their gay characters so they aren't that progressive. KA wanting RKK gone pretty much got it done because she had pull.

I mean I guess its possible but I don't trust blind items for a variety of reasons...  especially CDAN MR wouldn't be considered A-List.

Time will tell though. 

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

I can't help but recall what you guys have said about Robert kelker-kelly and how various actresses banded together to express their displeasure. Given how Lamont, Lindsay and Sal were openly unimpressed with her online, that could have influenced the situation significantly.

I guess there is always the possibility. That might be the case. But there's a lot of differences between RKK and MR. Most notably Missy has seniority on her side..and RKK was outright hated. I mean really hated by the cast. Oh the drama back then! I believe it was Lisa Rinna who said "I hated that man with a passion".  I'm pretty sure the higher ups enjoyed  kicking his creepy ass to the curb. Getting threatened with a sexual harassment lawsuit by a cast member is way more damaging than controversial political views but nothing would surprise me.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, howmanywords said:

I guess there is always the possibility. That might be the case. But there's a lot of differences between RKK and MR. Most notably Missy has seniority on her side..and RKK was outright hated. I mean really hated by the cast. Oh the drama back then! I believe it was Lisa Rinna who said "I hated that man with a passion".  I'm pretty sure the higher ups enjoyed  kicking his creepy ass to the curb. Getting threatened with a sexual harassment lawsuit by a cast member is way more damaging than controversial political views but nothing would surprise me.

Rumor had it that the mom of then underaged Alison Sweeney pulled from the show because she did not want RKK near her. Meanwhile a few years later RKK ended up marrying the actress who played Sami's best friend Jamie.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I do not believe Sal, Lamont and Lindsay would have enough power to make that happen even if they went as far to issue an "us vs. them" ultimatum.  (And I don't think they would.)

The show clearly values her as a presence even if it doesn't mean constant stories.  They asked her to come back after they sued her.  They pretty much leave the door open for her to come back over the years when she has chosen to leave and this is the first time they've recast her since the first very sudden departure.

I don't think they want to lose both of their long time "sweethearts" with KA leaving. There's a wholesome nostalgia with Jennifer and Hope  that very few characters can emulate.  Maybe it's my biases but even the wholesome characters from the 90s don't quite have the same vibe as those from the 80s.

If it ever came down to money, I could see an impasse being reached but a controversy no one really talks about anymore?  Not very likely.  I really think she'd have to do more.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
On 9/16/2020 at 1:07 PM, DisneyBoy said:

On the other hand, this is the natural assumption everyone is making right now because it's so easy. But as others have stated, I don't think people's political views have ever gotten them fired from Days of Our Lives.

What do you guys think? Did the cast voice open discomfort with the producers, or were their expressions of discomfort and disapproval online sufficient enough to make this change happen? Or did Melissa and the producers, who seem to have been on good terms, mutually agree to give her a break?

I don't see how MR could be fired for her political and/or religious beliefs.  That is a law suit waiting to happen and she should sue if that is the case.  Her personal opinions have nothing to do with her work as an actress or her character and are therefore irrelevant.  I could see her leaving willingly, however, either because of pandemic concerns or because of unpleasant treatment by her costars.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, domina89 said:

I don't see how MR could be fired for her political and/or religious beliefs.  That is a law suit waiting to happen and she should sue if that is the case. 

I don't think she was fired* but political opinions are not a protected class.  Neither is racism. 

*I think they would have just had Ron rework whatever story she has for J&J and written her off.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Its not but liking tweets doesn't equal racism they would have to prove that it does. 

If she sued, the burden of proof would be on her to prove she had been discriminated on specifically because of her race, religion, gender...etc. 

But she wasn't fired so I think we should take any discussion of employment discrimination laws to the Small Talk thread.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Quite frankly, I think Melissa Reeves is worth more to this show than LG and PT combined ever will be. I think her daughter behaved worse than MR did, because all MR did was like a few tweets from someone whose opinions are not of the liberal persuasion.

I may be alone at this table, but I hope Melissa is able to return sooner rather than later and I wish Cady McClain luck filling Melissa’s huge shoes as Jennifer.

Edited by katie9918
  • Love 4

Doesn't MR actually live in Nashville?  She "commutes" to work in California.  Can anyone blame her if she doesn't want to fly cross-country that often during a pandemic?  I don't believe the rumors - I think she just asked for a break during COVID and not for any other reason.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/16/2020 at 11:25 PM, Irlandesa said:

Maybe it's my biases but even the wholesome characters from the 90s don't quite have the same vibe as those from the 80s.

I definitely see what you're saying. When Hope and Jennifer and Steve and Kayla and Roman are in a scene together, you get a sense of the history there and the familiarity. I didn't even watch the show back in the 80s but it's palpable.

I agree that Melissa probably would never be fired from the show because that would put them in hot water with Republican viewers, and the show apparently has many, so if nothing else perhaps this could be a gradual drifting apart. Or it could just be that she's taking time off until Covid-19 calms down. But it's looking like that could be another year and a half away so who knows. The series may not even have that much time left.

Since I've never been especially fond of the characterization of Jennifer since I started watching in 2012, and Melissa's personal beliefs seem to have factored into character's behaviours, or lack of behaviours to a certain degree, I'm fine with her going and I'm curious to see what the new actress brings to the part. She may have a renewed energy or really great presence with Marci as Abigail. I hope that's the case. But I completely understand why it's hard for some of you guys to see one of your favourites get replaced.

• Love 3

I absolutely believe that MR's absence is because of the controversy, but I don't believe for a second the conservative producers of this show who've employed her for 30 years fired her or asked her to take a break. I DO believe she's been hunkered down with her family who all get to believe the same things and never be challenged. And then she thought about going back to work, back into the public eye with coworkers who've been out online calling her out. What if she has to defend herself all day? What if her bubble breaks? And I believe she said, you know what, OH MY GOSH OH MY GOODNESS JENNIFER ROSE, I don't need these people. I'm staying home. That's what I believe is happening here. 

Disclaimer: To be clear, I'm not a fan. Bring on Cady. 

Edited by ajs1615
typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I tend to think that MR just chose not to return to California at this time and TPTB and her agreed to a temporary recast. Between the Corona and her new grandchildren, she is probably evaluating her life and whether it is worth the risks to return to the set. I may not agree with MR on her political views, at all, but they are not a reason to fire her.

As for her political beliefs being put on screen, her big story last year included fighting Jack on deporting an illegal immigrant, so I really don't think that is the case. I see MR as a staunch Republican who would back the party line and illegal immigration is a huge issue for them. If MR's politics that we have seen on her social media were on film, I'd have to think that Jack would have been standing up for Haley and Jennifer would have tried to kick her out of the country.

I'm interested to see what happens with Cady and what her chemistry is like with MA. He was always good at creating chemistry and working the story he was handed, it was his idea to have Jack flirt with Jennifer, so I think it may work.

JMHO

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, ajs1615 said:

I absolutely believe that MR's absence is because of the controversy, but I don't believe for a second the conservative producers of this show who've employed her for 30 years fired her or asked her to take a break. I DO believe she's been hunkered down with her family who all get to believe the same things and never be challenged. And then she thought about going back to work, back into the public eye with coworkers who've been out online calling her out. What is she has to defend herself all day? What if her bubble breaks? And I believe she said, you know what, OH MY GOSH OH MY GOODNESS JENNIFER ROSE, I don't need these people. I'm staying home. That's what I believe is happening here. 

Disclaimer: To be clear, I'm not a fan. Bring on Cady. 

Fair enough, and good point.  I guess my disclaimer is that I don't follow her on social media and I really have no idea what she did.  I'm not necessarily a fan either, but I also don't dislike her.  (Maybe if I knew what she did, I would dislike her, but I also don't really care that much.) 😉 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I love Jennifer when paired with Jack, those two was magical back in the day. I have not liked her since the Daniel debacle. Talk about character assassination, my goodness!  The women on this show are always used to prop up the men.  As far as Melissa's politics she is entitled to her opinions.  I don't have to live with her or interact with her, it is what it is, live and let live. Being Black, I can understand why Lamont and Sal were annoyed with her. It is very hurtful to know that as a Black person that your life has no value and anyone of us could be the next George or Breonna.

The one thing that really bothered me about her was when she threw shade at the Jack/Jennifer fans when she was pimping Dannifer.. She mocked us and I did not appreciate that at all.. She should have taken a page out of Peter Reckell's book who never shaded any of the fanbases for Bo's pairings or Allison Sweeney who never alienated the different fanbases for the pairings that Sami was in over the years. I know that the fans can be demanding and overzealous at times, it comes with the job and you should always keep it professional.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, cmahorror said:

As for her political beliefs being put on screen, her big story last year included fighting Jack on deporting an illegal immigrant, so I really don't think that is the case.

....that was a big story? I totally forgot it happened. I'd say it was a footnote in the overall Jennifer wants Jack to get his Memories Back story.

Anyhow, the only thing that I think may have factored into her storylines was the huge separation between Jennifer and Will. Will is her nephew...and while there are a lot of characters on this show who are related and practically never have contact, I definitely don't think it was a coincidence that she was completely separated from the gay storylines and characters after the whole Chick-fil-A thing. Or before. I don't know the timeline there.

But with Will and Sonny gone that's not a problem now 🙄 I don't remember if it was in this thread or another thread, but thanks to whoever posted that scan from Soap Opera Digest with the letter from a fan saying that the decision to remove the only two gay characters from the show at this particular point in history was a misguided one. It was nice seeing that in print.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see what the recast does with the part. I remember back on Another World when someone else stepped in for Jensen Buchanan as Vicky for a few days or weeks and everyone was very excited about her because people were tired of hearing about Jensen's Diva antics. I think her name was...Cynthia Watros...? How the hell do I remember that? The point is, people were really excited to see another actress in the part who could potentially do good things with it. Melissa will always *be* Jennifer, there's no question about that, but considering how little they use Jennifer now, even after bringing her husband back from the dead, I question how much damage a recast can even do at this point.

If this purely is about Covid, I'll be very surprised if we don't hear of other similar situations because, as I've already stated so forgive me for sounding like a broken record, there are certain members of the cast I really don't think are safe on set right now.

When do the new episodes start airing? At the end of October? I heard they had gotten as far as Halloween before the shutdown.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

....that was a big story? I totally forgot it happened. I'd say it was a footnote in the overall Jennifer wants Jack to get his Memories Back story.

It was quite a big arc surrounding Haley that involved JJ, Tripp, Claire, Eve, Jennifer, Abe, etc., surrounding Jack's run for Mayor and went beyond Jack's memory loss so yeah, it was a big story spread over a decent amount of time.

Edited by boes
  • Useful 1