Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Bradford sounds more shocked than Steve. Steve is all, ‘gee it’s too bad but I don’t know anything. Whatever happens…’ douchebag!

• Like 3

I don't really care for Steve Burton (well, what I know of him), but I appreciated that he didn't trash talk GH when he had to choose between staying and getting vaccinated (unlike Ingo). I can understand not running your mouth about a co-workers sudden exit.

25 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Whatever happens…’ douchebag!

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I heard Burton say, "Whatever happened sucks, and I don't know exactly what the story is."

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

I have a lot of residual goodwill for KeMo, even if it was mainly Livvie and not Sam, for the most part. While I realize tptb haven't used her very well and the character has been drifting, I did like Sante's blended family and don't like that they're axing her. It just taints the anticipation for Lucky and Lulu's return, knowing all the characters who've been dumped to achieve this change in direction. Show business is brutal. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 8
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, General Days said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I heard Burton say, "Whatever happened sucks, and I don't know exactly what the story is."

Ah okay. I missed that. 

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, tessabq said:

Could Carlo Rota's character be Natalia's ex-husband? (Note: My Natalia wish? she leaves Port Chuck, never to return.)

If he was, that would be the most interesting thing about Blaze. Too bad she's gone. /s

Edited by tessaray
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Am I the only one who's never heard of Carlo Rota?  Off to imdb....

He was in a Canadian series called "Little Mosque on the Prairie", and he was great in that.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
39 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

He was in a Canadian series called "Little Mosque on the Prairie", and he was great in that.

He was also on 24 and has guest starred in numerous TV shows. I honestly never knew his name but every time I saw him, I said ‘oh look it’s Morris! (His character on 24). Extremely talented. Can easily play good or bad guy and sometimes you’re not sure which way the character leans. Still can’t figure out why he’d want a role on GH, but as I said earlier, I’m looking forward to seeing him.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Since the actress is reportedly blindsided, I suspect she will phone in all her performances now

How will we know the difference?

• LOL 8

I first saw Carlo Rota in the original Nikita TV series (with Roy Dupuis) and hewas very good and versatile in it. It was almost 30 years ago though.

Good actors like JE and JK can transcend bad writing, so we’ll see.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I'm laughing at this tweet about NAC's other Ryan Murphy project.

I am so excited for NAC. I really am. Four years ago he was waiting tables. The crappiest part about soaps dying in the US is that we're losing a way in which unknown, unconnected actors not from show business families could get their break. 

4 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I'm really not surprised about Sam being written off. I think Liz got the edge to stay because of her connection to Lucky. 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I am so excited for NAC. I really am. Four years ago he was waiting tables. The crappiest part about soaps dying in the US is that we're losing a way in which unknown, unconnected actors not from show business families could get their break. 

That's really so true.  I was arguing with someone about Mo's abilities, they were on and on about GH is mob centric because people love that, and mentioned anti-heroes such as Tony Soprano and Walter White.  And I said, Mo ain't no Bryan Cranston, one of our best living actors.  Someone replied they remember Cranston when he was on a soap (maybe guiding light?).  And I hadn't realized that's where he started!  There are so many of course.   

11 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I personally don't understand this, when Mo has been phoning it in far worse, and takes up much more screentime.  Many times, he can barely get out his lines.   I mean, I'd rather have seen him gone.  With Kemo, they don't even write for her.  Maybe if they did, we'd see some of her old self.  No one can claim they don't write for Mo.  IMO he's ruined this show, and Kemo was not the problem, but  I guess mileage varies. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
13 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

The show was nowhere near as good after he left.

• Like 4
(edited)

I'm another who thinks Monaco hasn't been the same since the period when Miller and Burton overlapped.  

I was never a Sam McCall fan. In the early days, after PC got axed and they brought Monaco over to the mothership as a different character, and she was on the trail of the Dead Man's Hand and all, I felt I detected that determination on the part of the behind-the-scenes team to make a new character happen, which sometimes can have the opposite effect for me. They were flailing every which way until they found something that worked.

But in those days, I just thought the character was poorly conceived and that we were seeing her four or five days a week not because it was good for the show, but because GH and/or ABC wanted Sam/Kelly to break out in a big way. Monaco's bored, low-energy performances didn't come until some time later, and I think she's been decisively over it at least since the "Who's the real Jason?" story in 2017.  The writing or lack for Sam in recent years was a hint that they knew Monaco wasn't going to be around much longer, whether it was her idea or theirs or a combination.

I agree that her fall from the show's "A" list to its "C" list was abrupt. Even in the early Billy Miller period (which was what, 2014-15? ), I'd never have seen this coming. I won't miss the character, but I wish Monaco well.  She was a regular for more than 20 years. I'm sure her memories of her time on GH will be bittersweet at the very least. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 7
17 minutes ago, lilabennet said:

I balked at the blatant manipulation when she first came on

They do that with a lot of characters, and it rarely works. Let the character grow organically, don't shove it down my throat and force me to like it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
23 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Pretty sure that KeMo's exit has to do with budget. You need to pay JJ and Carlo Rota. I'm sure he doesn't come cheap. They're not gonna get rid of Mo even though his character has been circling the drain. And the show rises and sets around Carly. 

Carlo Rota? I had to hit my memory banks for his ID. He did a lot of Canadian TV and foodie shows--crazy obnoxious IMO and huge overactor.

But others may have different opinions.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Stafford was never on OLTL (thank goodness!) and IIRC supposedly left because she didn’t like the Dawn of Day cult storyline because of her own real life cult religious affiliations.

Ooh what are they??

Someone on twitter pointed out that both of Sam's kids have deadbeat dads and what is the show going to do with them when she's gone? Dante and Lulu take care of them? Monica's daycare and boarding school?

Carlo Rota was the host of a strange CBC show Back In Time For Dinner, based on an English show. A family offers their home and it gets remodeled starting in the 1940s for every decade as the family tries to cope with life back then.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Someone on twitter pointed out that both of Sam's kids have deadbeat dads and what is the show going to do with them when she's gone? Dante and Lulu take care of them? Monica's daycare and boarding school?

The only place that makes sense for them is Alexis. I imagine that the loss of Sam might bring Kristina and Molly back to a place of sisterhood or whatever.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

There's a rumor going around on Twitter that Jennifer Landon is going to be the new Lulu (and that JMB was contacted but turned them down). Don't know how reliable any of that is, though, so... 

• Useful 1

Sarah Joy Brown (the one true Carly) is on Maurice's little show tomorrow. I'd still bring her back to the show immediately, I don't even care.

2 hours ago, KerleyQ said:

There's a rumor going around on Twitter that Jennifer Landon is going to be the new Lulu (and that JMB was contacted but turned them down). Don't know how reliable any of that is, though, so... 

I've heard it for a week or so and I think she'd be a great choice but I still can't quite buy it. She's done very well for herself and is still promoting the upcoming season of Yellowstone as of a few days ago, which she may or may not still be on in future.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I feel like Monaco did something to make them snap and feel like it was worth the fan backlash. They've had her as supporting for like 3 years now, I can't think it would have been very expensive to have her on for 3 days a month or what have you. And they've usually, even if they haven't given her a bunch of drama, given her talented actors to work with. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's not her fault completely but I feel like it's more complicated than mean GH.

• Like 5
On 8/27/2024 at 6:27 PM, General Days said:

I don't really care for Steve Burton (well, what I know of him), but I appreciated that he didn't trash talk GH when he had to choose between staying and getting vaccinated (unlike Ingo). I can understand not running your mouth about a co-workers sudden exit.

I don't think there's much warmth between them, and I'm not crying over her myself but I genuinely don't think he's thrilled about it. It makes it that much easier for the other vets to be dismissed.

On 8/27/2024 at 10:13 PM, Desperado said:

I first saw Carlo Rota in the original Nikita TV series (with Roy Dupuis) and hewas very good and versatile in it. It was almost 30 years ago though.

Good actors like JE and JK can transcend bad writing, so we’ll see.

Now I'm imagining Roy and MB in a whisper duel!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, ulkis said:

I don't think there's much warmth between them, and I'm not crying over her myself but I genuinely don't think he's thrilled about it. It makes it that much easier for the other vets to be dismissed.

It's been the better part of a year, he didn't bring up the ratings and they still have no love interest for him because they once again had to admit putting him with LW romantically doesn't work. Steve has claimed he only wants to be back a couple years to shore up his nest egg and then retire. I'm not sure I believe him, but either way he might for once be in a more tenuous position.

• Like 2

Hmm, not feeling the Jennifer Landon rumor. Hope it's not her.

Ditto on SJB. She will always be Carly to me. If it was announced she was returning as the character, I would start looking forward to her scenes again. When she played her, Carly was my fave character.

• Like 3

The show has been so badly written for so long that I think anyone can be dropped and it won't make a difference dramatically. People have sentimental favorites, of course, but the followthrough for characters leaving is always handled in the most inept way (and the way they leave isn't that great, either). 

I was never a giant KeMo/Sam fan, but I'm sorry to see someone of her tenure let go. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I'm constantly amazed two of the Webber boys were written off the show by sending them away to college instead of prison or killed off or into hiding because they pissed off the mob. Firstly, I do not want Elizabeth to grieve the death of a son again and it allows the show to bring them back later with a simple "I'm moving back to my hometown" instead of the convoluted storytelling they've had to employ for Drew, Jason, and now Lucky.

I'm just sick of all the death on this show. Unfortunately, I can't figure out a reason for why Sam would leave PC permanently - it's not like she has much of a career which could lead to a fantastic opportunity elsewhere. Maybe she could go into hiding? But that would likely mean she takes her kids and the show probably wants them on canvas for some reason*. But if I had to choose between Sam dying or her going into hiding for whatever stupid reason, I'd take her going into hiding. 

*Let's face it. The reason why Sam's kids need to stay on the show is so we can make jokes about the Quatermaine Home for Kids Whose Parents Forget to Pick Them Up.

• Like 9

I understand the value of keeping Sam alive, but she's also been on the show over 20 years and has spent a lot of that time burnt out of story. I can't really imagine what to do with her that's new if Kelly were to come back at some point. So for me I think (and thought this some time ago, before the news) the maximum dramatic option would be to kill her and embroil Jason and Alexis in a vicious custody battle, as Alexis' sobriety teeters on the brink.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, ulkis said:

I don't really care for Steve Burton (well, what I know of him), but I appreciated that he didn't trash talk GH when he had to choose between staying and getting vaccinated (unlike Ingo).

Yeah, I’ll give him a tiny bit of credit for that.  He handled it the right way.  The company he worked for had a certain policy he didn’t agree with and he left.  He didn’t whine and complain about it, he just removed himself.

On 8/31/2024 at 7:59 PM, jsbt said:

I've heard it for a week or so and I think she'd be a great choice but I still can't quite buy it.

I’m not so sure about this one, she’s in prime time now, why come to daytime where she will likely have to work twice as hard for considerably less money?  

• Like 3
On 8/28/2024 at 8:14 AM, CeChase said:

That's really so true.  I was arguing with someone about Mo's abilities, they were on and on about GH is mob centric because people love that, and mentioned anti-heroes such as Tony Soprano and Walter White.  And I said, Mo ain't no Bryan Cranston, one of our best living actors.  Someone replied they remember Cranston when he was on a soap (maybe guiding light?).  And I hadn't realized that's where he started!  There are so many of course.   

Julianne Moore also was on As The World Turns, and he isn't as good as her either.  

I always hated that argument of having scumbags anchor soap operas.That was Guza's justification with MB & SBu being on my screen ever freaking episode. I realize that characters like Erica Kane weren't exactly a goody two shoes ray of sunshine, but she also wasn't an amoral killer.

Two things wrong with that reasoning:

1) Both of those shows were over years ago, with episode count hovering around only a 100.

2) Tony Soprano and Walter White were written as asshole. When the TWoP forum was up, someone gave a brilliant post about how David Chase in fact adhered to real world morality as wrote and produced for both I'll Fly Away and Northern Exposure. He had Tony murder Ralph Cifaretto over a horse because the audience was seeing Tony as too cuddly and wanted to bring home the point that he was a psychopath. 

As far as Walter White, did they watch the end of Breaking Bad or the spin off Better Call Saul? Walter White ended getting his brother in law killed, being disowned by his family and then dying from a gunshot wound. He redemption came when he finally owned up to wife that is ego was the reason he became a drug kingpin and saved Jesse from the dumpster fire he got him into. No one thought what a swell guy he was.  

• Like 5
2 hours ago, jsbt said:

the maximum dramatic option would be to kill her and embroil Jason and Alexis in a vicious custody battle, as Alexis' sobriety teeters on the brink.

Wouldn't Drewsome want Scout back?

I wonder when they announce character deaths early, if they are a publicity stunt to generate buzz. 

On 8/30/2024 at 2:48 PM, statsgirl said:

I think they’ll walk back on Drew being a deadbeat. It’s not like he and Carly are together anymore and Willow was calling him an amazing father the other day. He lives at the Q mansion so there’s a dozen other adults and kids there to spend time with Scout if he’s busy with work. Danny is more of a question mark. I’m not sure if they’ll opt to have him say he wants to stay with his sister to give Jason an out from parenting him or Carly will finally get her dream and have Jason move in with her so they can raise him together. Either way, I don’t think we’ll be seeing much of either kid outside of the holidays so any parenting will be onscreen. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, jsbt said:

I understand the value of keeping Sam alive, but she's also been on the show over 20 years and has spent a lot of that time burnt out of story. I can't really imagine what to do with her that's new if Kelly were to come back at some point. So for me I think (and thought this some time ago, before the news) the maximum dramatic option would be to kill her and embroil Jason and Alexis in a vicious custody battle, as Alexis' sobriety teeters on the brink.

I know it’s realistic but I hope that Alexis doesn’t relapse. Mostly because she’s already had 2 extended alcoholism SLs in the past decade and was shown consistently struggling with it even during her sober years, which rarely happens on this show. They’ve already played every SL beat I can possibly think of with that type of storyline with her so anything more would be a rehash. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4

I think that Jason gets Danny as they have been building/showing that relationship since Jason returned. When Sam was sent away to prison for killing Shiloh, Jason was raising Danny and Scout.

As for Scout, Drew will have her and he will use Willow to help with her (as another way to draw her closer to him) and at the same time he will let Nina help with Scout whereby she will eventually suggest them getting married (for the election and to give Scout a mother figure).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
51 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I know it’s realistic but I hope that Alexis doesn’t relapse. Mostly because she’s already had 2 extended alcoholism SLs in the past decade and was shown consistently struggling with it even during her sober years, which rarely happens on this show. They’ve already played every SL beat I can possibly think of with that type of storyline with her so anything more would be a rehash. 

I would agree to a point because I do think it has been hit as a note for hr over and over, but at the same time this is easily the harshest loss Alexis has had since her sister. I don't think it's realistic (or good drama) not for it to really be a hard road, even if she doesn't fully succumb. They could do the story Finn sort of got (which I think was well told, but very rushed), except she doesn't totally crash out and spiral like he did.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ffwbe said:

You're not looking forward to Alexis Davis, Heroin Addict?

• LOL 3