Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I only knew of Billy Miller through his work on GH, but I instantly became a fan. I loved his version of Drew, and I always felt the show made a big mistake in prioritizing Steve Burton (a much lesser talent whose potential had already been exhausted) over Billy. He was one of those rare people who transcend the part and make you feel like they could really go places.

So, so sorry for his family and friends, and for what might have been.

• Like 17
  • Love 4
On 9/14/2023 at 11:47 AM, Artsda said:

Hopefully the writers know the history and don't try to act like Olivia is above Lois for Ned or Eddie. 

Facts!  Like Another World when Frankie was 'the one true love of Cass'....FOH, Kathleen was the love of his life and I hated how she was treated by everyone, including her so-called friend Felicia when she returned to Bay City.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

It’s possible that might be a different Billy Miller. I thought I saw something on Twitter that reported somebody with that name died of a stroke but comments suggested it was someone else. But I’ve been seeing in this topic that the actor had both Palsy and Manic Depression. Is that accurate?

It's not official, but his mother seems to have put out a statement. Not sure how accurate this is, but people seem to be thinking it is. Horrible, just all out horrible. And even though I haven't watched the show regularly for a very long time (just read spoilers and watch random clips), I always wanted him to return. Drew and Sam had chemistry, he was light years better than SBu, and he was talented.

Statement from Patricia Miller

EDIT: It is official, SOD has quoted it.

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Sad 9
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I’m in tears after reading his mother’s statement. I honestly can’t remember the last time a celebrity’s death hit me so hard. Of course I didn’t know him personally. But he just exuded such warmth and seemed like a genuinely lovely person. To think that underneath that beautiful smile was so much pain is just heartbreaking. I can’t even imagine what his mother is going through right now. 💔

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

I was just coming to post Patricia Miller's heartbreaking statement. It's just so tragic. For her, for Billy, for everyone.

As fans, we get to think we "know" actors. Something like this proves that is not always the case.

I hope his mother, other loved ones, and co-stars take solace in the fact that despite the horrible circumstances, that Billy's pain has now ended.

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

There's been a lot of performers and their families openly battling mental health struggles in the last decade, especially since the pandemic, and several from the soaps. Kristoff St. John on Y&R lost his son to suicide and struggled on his own for several years after before also passing away unexpectedly due to a preexisting condition. Roscoe Born from OLTL took his own life. Now this. It's a lot and very sad. We forget actors are people too.

• Like 7
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, jsbt said:

There's been a lot of performers and their families openly battling mental health struggles in the last decade, especially since the pandemic, and several from the soaps.

This sad issue is as old as the soaps themselves.

Besides Kristoff St. John and Roscoe Born, go back to 1982, when actress Brenda Benét from Days of Our Lives apparently also committed suicide when she lost her 5-year-old son with Bill Bixby to cardiac arrest from epiglottitis while they vacationed on a ski trip the year prior.

I was a kid when that happened, so I wasn't familiar with that one 'til eons later, but watching the aftermath of her character's exit on YT was sad. Not necessarily for the character, who the writers apparently had just had the character, Lee Dumonde, leave town, but the reaction to her letter to her daughter elicited tears from the actors, and you could just tell they were all too real.

One never knows the struggles a lot of these actors face in their personal lives. Just shows that fame means nothing when mental illness and other factors are in play.

• Like 6
  • Love 6

I am heartbroken over the loss of Billy, and I only saw him on my screen. I can only imagine how deep the loss must feel to those who knew him and his mother, especially.

I didn’t know about Roscoe’s suicide. I appreciated his work very much too.

I think talking about these losses will hopefully open the eyes of more people as to the challenges so many of us experience.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Desperado said:

I am heartbroken over the loss of Billy, and I only saw him on my screen. I can only imagine how deep the loss must feel to those who knew him and his mother, especially.

I didn’t know about Roscoe’s suicide. I appreciated his work very much too.

I think talking about these losses will hopefully open the eyes of more people as to the challenges so many of us experience.

I think I remember news of Rosco's suicide when it was reported and it surprised me as I didn't know what he was dealing with. I believe the only time I was deeply affected, not just saddened by, a celebrity's suicide was when comic/actor Robin Williams died. I had liked him so much and he seemed like a really upbeat guy (though he wasn't so much privately) that it didn't make sense to me. But I think it helped my grieving process when his wife announced that he had been fighting a form of dementia and couldn't cope with it. Even though I didn't condone it, I understood his reasons better. So though I know it hurt Billy's mother to go public, I think it will help a lot of people going forward as suicide shouldn't be dealt with as a sense of shame that has to be kept behind closed doors

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I'm not sure he understands how very serious a bone marrow transplant is. My husband also has a bone marrow disorder similar to what he has and may need one someday. Based on what I see as part of the support groups I'm in, a BMT is no easy road. 30-100 days isolated in the hospital, then often battles with "graft versus host" disease, and most say it is 12-18 months before they feel like they have the stamina to work. Many also do not survive the transplant! I wish him the best and hope it goes smoothly for him!

• Hugs 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

I'm not sure he understands how very serious a bone marrow transplant is. 

First of all, sending positive thoughts and prayers to your husband.

I think York is putting a positive spin on things for his social media. However, I also believe (from experience) that having a positive attitude going in helps. And, if you don't have a baseline for feeling terrible, sometimes you get through things because you don't have anything to compare the experience to, if that makes sense -- it's just something you have to do to get better. 

Edited by rur
  • Like 15
6 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

I'm not sure he understands how very serious a bone marrow transplant is. My husband also has a bone marrow disorder similar to what he has and may need one someday. Based on what I see as part of the support groups I'm in, a BMT is no easy road. 30-100 days isolated in the hospital, then often battles with "graft versus host" disease, and most say it is 12-18 months before they feel like they have the stamina to work. Many also do not survive the transplant! I wish him the best and hope it goes smoothly for him!

Is this what Robin Roberts had?

Good grief that is a lot of very terrible news.  

I was not aware John J. York was battling cancer ... I wish him the very best with his treatment, he seems like a very nice person devoted to his family, and who has always been a team player (on a show that hasn't always used him well or much appreciated his character).   

Poor Billy Miller, and of course his family.  That is very sad. You just never know how much someone could be struggling inside, even someone who's talented and well-liked.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The writers and studios came to a tentative deal and the strike is tentatively over as of midnight tonight (not sure of the time zone). Now the members have to vote  on the new deal in October but can start working again before the deal is ratified

• Applause 1
14 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

The scab writers seemed like they were fans who actually remembered history and connections. Like Carly bringing up that Charlotte is a Spencer, or Jake being worried about Drew.

Yeah, I have liked the character beats that we've been getting lately. It feels old school soap in a good way. Neither set of writers is perfect, but I'd rather keep the subs than get the old writers back.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Yeah, I have liked the character beats that we've been getting lately. It feels old school soap in a good way. Neither set of writers is perfect, but I'd rather keep the subs than get the old writers back.

Same.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I am pro labor so it pains me to agree that I'd rather keep the current writers. Let's hope the WGA writers have been watching the show and taking some notes. (j/k, you know the old writers can't possibly watch the show, considering how crappy the normal writing usually* was.)

* added because they did occasionally let the Awesome Writer out.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, sunnyface said:

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/entertainment/general-hospital-graceland-2023/ 

Graceland - 10/27-10/29

Looks like another meet-and-greet to meet the Mobsters and those that perpetuate this homage to violence and crime.  The only medical personnel from the cast that is listed to attend is Finn,  although TJ is shown in a press photo. 

Did most of the cast decline to attend because some of who is included versus who wasn’t was glaring. The guy who played Jackson was only on like 3 or 4 episodes

3 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Heads up. GH will be preempted tomorrow (Tues), Wednesday and possibly Thursday because of baseball playoffs 😝

Wow, thanks for the heads up, I didn’t notice that

On 10/1/2023 at 11:18 PM, ffwbe said:

Did most of the cast decline to attend because some of who is included versus who wasn’t was glaring. The guy who played Jackson was only on like 3 or 4 episodes

But that character is so beloved from AMC that it's kind of smart to include him in terms of adding a little extra value to longtime ABC daytime fans. Plus, IIRC that he does a lot of standup, so he's probably a great way to liven up the event.

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I haven't been watching the episodes much lately as usual. Lol but I caught a few with Kate Mansi and the last nunuMolly. And personally I think Kate looked older than that actress, even though she is 4-5 years younger. 

Honestly, I couldn't really figure out why everyone was complaining she looked to old for the part.  I don't care how old she actually is, she looked in her 20s to me, and she had that higher pitched voice that sold it for me.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Katy M said:

that higher pitched voice that sold it for me.

I think that’s what turned people off more than the actors age. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me! I also didn’t think she was very good.

• Like 6
45 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I think that’s what turned people off more than the actors age. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me! I also didn’t think she was very good.

Tbh, Haley's voice often grated too but because we saw Molly grow up onscreen (more or less), she had a lot of goodwill to balance it out.  The earlier Molly recasts were not good fits in multiple ways. The latest seems fine so far.

As for the Kristina situation, Kate Mansi is much better than I expected but I do miss Lexi's liveliness. 

• Like 6
29 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Tbh, Haley's voice often grated too but because we saw Molly grow up onscreen (more or less), she had a lot of goodwill to balance it out. 

That's why I didn't think the last Molly was a bad fit.  HP will always be Molly to me, but that's not an option.  I haven't seen the new new new one yet.  I guess she was on one of the days I missed last week.

38 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That's why I didn't think the last Molly was a bad fit.  HP will always be Molly to me, but that's not an option.  I haven't seen the new new new one yet.  I guess she was on one of the days I missed last week.

I saw the latest one in a drug commercial the same day.  Kristen Vaganos is her name.  (I plucked this picture from the Soap Opera Digest site because she's smiling. The pensive brunettes all look alike to me.)

GH-2.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

As for the Kristina situation, Kate Mansi is much better than I expected but I do miss Lexi's liveliness.

yeah I think Kate is doing a great job but don't understand why they didn't think Lexi could handle it?

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

yeah I think Kate is doing a great job but don't understand why they didn't think Lexi could handle it?

Lexi hit someone when she was driving drunk so she’s off the show unless the switch happened before that