Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Nooooooo!  They've messed up Arrow enough already this season!

The January 21 episode is a backdoor pilot for a possible new series tentatively titled Green Arrow and the Canaries.

If he does a good job, it's possible that they will hire him if the series gets picked up. If that's the case, it will at least be the end if Sadsack Michael. Of this one, at any rate.

Well I’m sure it isn’t a big part. But I think it will be interesting to see what if anything he can do outside the role of Michael. 

Yeah I’m done with arrow when the original ends. No real interest in the kids. Either way I highly doubt he’s in mind for anything on the spin-off. It was likely just a brief guest role.

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The January 21 episode is a backdoor pilot for a possible new series tentatively titled Green Arrow and the Canaries.

Oops. I'm blaming the all nighters I've been working the past three nights for the confusion. Still, I hope he gets whacked in the first five minutes. And my other point about him being out of everyone's league still stands.

• LOL 2

I try to keep an open mind but yeah, I'd like to see CD square off against Chaie Barnett (JJ) or Joseph David-Jones or tey to match Ben Lewis in acting.

He's not listed on the IMDb page for the episode but my money's on him being a rich bad guy. Not at all like on GH where he plays a rich good guy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Congrats to him on landing a primetime gig. If Nathaniel Parsons (ex-Ethan) can land numerous CW gigs before becoming a lead on a current show, I don't see why they wouldn't cast CD who I thought was a much better actor than NP. And, I haven't watched <i>Arrow</i> in ages, but I find it highly unlikely that CD is soooo beneath the talent level of the actors on that show. Stephen Amell was never Laurence Olivier and he's the lead.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, ulkis said:

They never gave much material to NP on GH. Ethan basically lounged his way through his GH stint. CD got the rape story.

Ethan still got material, including intense material like being accused of being Kristina's abuser. I didn't think he was a horrible actor, just not that impressive, either.

• Love 1
Just now, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Ethan still got material, including intense material like being accused of being Kristina's abuser. I didn't think he was a horrible actor, just not that impressive, either.

I was literally just about to edit to say "I didn't think he seemed that great but he didn't get that much material"; I do think though the rape story was much more complex than the abuse stuff, and went on for longer. Then of course it didn't help Ethan that they wrote him super douchy that first year.

I wonder what Drew Garrett is up to.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

And, I haven't watched <i>Arrow</i> in ages, but I find it highly unlikely that CD is soooo beneath the talent level of the actors on that show. Stephen Amell was never Laurence Olivier and he's the lead.

Amell isn't Olivier but he has grown into the role and he's always had a dynamism that I've not seen in CD. (I say that angry at Amell for pushing for Oliver to die at the end of the series. )

As I said, I'll wait to see how CD does. It will at least tell me if there is any hope for Duelll's Michael.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Amell isn't Olivier but he has grown into the role and he's always had a dynamism that I've not seen in CD. (I say that angry at Amell for pushing for Oliver to die at the end of the series. )

As I said, I'll wait to see how CD does. It will at least tell me if there is any hope for Duelll's Michael.

I think Duell has a displayed strength in the role and has rage when the writing is there for him. I think he was great when he was getting revenge against Sonny and was happy when he won the Emmy. And I still say that Amell and some others on the cast (at the time I was still watching are not these vastly superior talents(I'm actually happy at Amell over that. Anything that prevents an Olicity happy ending.)

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

We’re already talking about this in the episode thread since he showed up in the preview for tomorrow’s show. The 

That's what I get for not watching the show anymore; I haven't read the episode thread in a long time. Sorry. 😞 

Edited by UYI

A piece on Marcus Coloma, who's preparing for his first fan events and loves his job. 

http://www.digitaljournal.com/entertainment/entertainment/meet-marcus-coloma-new-nikolas-cassadine-on-general-hospital/article/565469

Interesting that the one fellow GH cast member he praises by name is Cynthia Watros. Not exactly the one he's had the most scenes with. Is it just "recent-recast solidarity," or something that hasn't aired yet that puts those two in the same orbit? 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:37 AM, Asp Burger said:

A piece on Marcus Coloma, who's preparing for his first fan events and loves his job. 

http://www.digitaljournal.com/entertainment/entertainment/meet-marcus-coloma-new-nikolas-cassadine-on-general-hospital/article/565469

Interesting that the one fellow GH cast member he praises by name is Cynthia Watros. Not exactly the one he's had the most scenes with. Is it just "recent-recast solidarity," or something that hasn't aired yet that puts those two in the same orbit? 

Both of them have been guest stars or recurring on various series -- maybe their paths have crossed? The article seems like it cherry-picked his quotes. 

Emma is coming back for a visit:

from SOD:

Brooklyn Rae Silzer is heading back to Port Charles for a visit as Emma Scorpio-Drake, beloved granddaughter of Anna Devane. The actress shared a shot of herself outside the studio on Twitter, writing, “Dreams come true! Thank you so much@GeneralHospital @valentinifrankfor having me back.” Silzer began playing Emma back in 2011, and has made period visits since Emma and her on-screen parents, Robin and Patrick, relocated to California in 2016.

• Love 3

From GH Facebook:

We're picking up where we left off! An all-new episode of #GH is coming your way today. It will air in areas not impacted by the ongoing news coverage and be made available online for those which are. All you'll need to watch is an internet connection. Come back here after 8PM EST | 5PM PT for direct access. See you then!

5 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

From GH Facebook:

We're picking up where we left off! An all-new episode of #GH is coming your way today. It will air in areas not impacted by the ongoing news coverage and be made available online for those which are. All you'll need to watch is an internet connection. Come back here after 8PM EST | 5PM PT for direct access. See you then!

Why didn't they just make watching this fakakta show available like this from the beginning? So stupid.

8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Why didn't they just make watching this fakakta show available like this from the beginning? So stupid.

I guess they thought ratings would be higher for the pre-emptions.

• LOL 1

Maybe they didn’t think there would be a big backlash? I think they wanted to hold onto the episodes for ratings sake but finally realized that preempting for too long would cause people to tune out completely. Especially since some of the other soaps were putting episodes online 

• Love 3

Daytime Emmys finds a forever home:

The Daytime Emmys have found a new, permanent home as the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) introduces its own streaming app, reports variety.com. NATAS will now be the official site to view the Daytime Emmy telecast. The new platform is expected to go into effect in the first quarter of 2020, several months before this year’s ceremony. The show last aired on broadcast television in 2015. 

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/new-daytime-emmy-app-launches/?fbclid=IwAR350ejHGiWPHnelk_VWJgk3f-4bMD8WmYfDw9BWK23giAOxUiUCHJqZMVw

I agree .... that's usually only what they drag him out for.... did he even have a scene with Bob, after his brain was restored?

currently I think GH has more lawyers than doctors/nurses.... there is no reason for Tad Martin and his accent to be on GH. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, makelemons said:

I agree .... that's usually only what they drag him out for.... did he even have a scene with Bob, after his brain was restored?

No he didn't.

• Useful 1

Scott's other big story is his "romance" with Bobbie which seems to be conducted not only offscreen but never mentioned by Bobbie when she does make an appearance.

Not wonder he's pissed off. If nothing else, Liz's kids could use a grandfatherly figure.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, ulkis said:

That's what he's embarrassed about? Not most of his scenes with Franco?

Sadly, I think that's why they do anything at all with Scotty.  "We can't get rid of him, he's Franco's papa, he has to be there for Franco while getting nothing in return!".  Ugh, poor Kin.

• Love 3

Perhaps the reason Scotty has been offscreen is that he can’t remember his lines or stutters all of the time. His hair(?) and his ill fitting clothing are such distractions. I used to find him attractive and a decent actor many years ago but after a long hiatus from GH, I was shocked and saddened to see what he’d become.

• LOL 1
(edited)

I listened to the Stone Cold/Jackal podcast with guest Marcus Coloma. I may have helped the cursor along in bits that were just BA and SB. They talked for several minutes at the beginning about SB's preferred coffee order. 

The interesting parts of the Coloma conversation: They covered his move from Northern California to LA in the '90s and all the young-actor stuff: taking acting classes, sleeping on a friend's floor, working crappy jobs, quitting the crappy jobs when something seemed to be working out, having to go back to them when it didn't work out, getting a Coke commercial that barely covered his SAG fees, etc.  

When he read for Nikolas, they disguised the role by calling the character "Ethan." He didn't know he was auditioning for a recast. Actually, "Ethan" would have been a recast too! That reminded me a bit of when Tamara Braun (in 2000-01) thought she was reading for "Sarah," and her friends who watched GH told her she would be playing Liz's sister.  

He said he had seen some of GH before. He loved Tyler Christopher's Nikolas, but didn't keep up enough to know that TC/Nikolas wasn't on anymore.  

He got the green light pretty quickly from the producers and the network. Not a long wait.  

He said he loves everyone he gets to work with. The ones he named were Ingo, Genie, Maura, and Becky. Wonderful people, so nice, talented, total pros, etc.  

I'd never listened to a whole one of these, but Bradford is a pretty gracious interviewer. Steve can be overbearing. He goes on a "these kids today" tangent about how his (Steve's) son is always on an electronic device and doesn't appreciate the beauty of just looking out the car window. Steve did give a good note about staying off of social media, especially when you're replacing a popular actor. He said TC is one of his best friends, but he thinks MC is doing a great job, especially coming in and having so many pages right off the bat in his first soap. MC said that even if people are saying they don't like him, he's just happy to be in the conversation.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Vinessa Antoine (#BetterJordan) had some things to say about her old soap & she didn’t hold back. It appears that GH didn’t want to work around her schedule for her new show like they did/do for Tony Geary & Finola Hughes. That said, they never let Genie Francis off unless she would leave the show on her own. I wish Maurice Bernard would ask for off for outside projects. That way I wouldn’t have to see him everyday.

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2020/03/08/vinessa-antoine-talks-about-lack-of-diversity-at-gh

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Vinessa Antoine (#BetterJordan) had some things to say about her old soap & she didn’t hold back. It appears that GH didn’t want to work around her schedule for her new show like they did/do for Tony Geary & Finola Hughes. That said, they never let Genie Francis off unless she would leave the show on her own. I wish Maurice Bernard would ask for off for outside projects. That way I wouldn’t have to see him everyday.

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2020/03/08/vinessa-antoine-talks-about-lack-of-diversity-at-gh

You're dreaming. For Mo, they would twist themselves into pretzels. I think it's an absolute shame they wouldn't work with Vinessa.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

You're dreaming. For Mo, they would twist themselves into pretzels. I think it's an absolute shame they wouldn't work with Vinessa.

Especially, since the show she left to do was only and order for 6 episodes. FV didn’t want to work around that schedule. I do recall at the time that VA was hoping to stay so I know that’s true. We also know she ain’t lying about diversity. Most soaps have one black couple. I mean this is how it’s been since I’ve been watching soaps since the 70’s. She is right about Y&R integrating the characters better but it’s still the same. They’re might be 2-4 blacks on a particular soap but  they are the B or C storyline. B&B has one black actress I think.......but they are a half hour soap......which is an excuse. I believe Y&R has three black actors on contract.  Days has just Abe, Lanni & Eli. Yup! That’s about 2-4 black actors on soaps. It hasn’t changed much since the days of Jessie & Angie on AMC. Rant over. 

Brad is the only Asian character, and despite Sonny being part Cuban through Adela, there's little representation of Latinos. A French Canadian is GH's idea of diversity.

Lainey was the worst therapist ever, and Kelly Lee couldn't diagnose Pillowena, but at least they were POC.

• Love 1

It's interesting to read the whole interview in terms of the conversation on diversity on TV in general. 

https://www.thetvwatercooler.com/2020/03/vinessa-antoine-exclusive-interview-diggstown-general-hospital/

She really wanted to be the Jordan getting married to Curtis and wanted to have a clip montage for it. It would have been a better show, and she definitely was a better Jordan. If FH can take six months off, and Geary can get his monster vacations regularly plotted into the show, they could easily have given Antoine three months off to shoot Diggstown.

• Love 6