Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Is Amy 2.0/Risa Dorken officially gone? I think there's been a mention of her doing things offscreen, but I can't recall seeing her in a long time. I guess she really was the Maxie placeholder as the youngish bubbly blond while Kirsten Storms was dealing with whatever was going on. She was getting a lot of air time for a while, but it tapered off after Ask Man Landers was...answered.  

There are some minor players who pop up once in a while, when story dictates, like Nurse Francesca with her hipster music tastes. (I laugh remembering the board reaction to the Hinds "Bamboo" video, although I have to admit, that song got stuck in my head, raucous singing and all.) They brought her out of storage to corroborate Kiki's harassment by Bensch.  

Let's list the doctors and nurses still left on this show.

Elizabeth
Ryan/Kevin
Griffin
Finn

It's pretty pathetic when the show's ad for it's January Memphis fan meet and greet thingie - not ONE doctor or nurse is pictured. 

• Love 1
On 12/18/2018 at 4:14 PM, Hater said:

Mal Young got fired for a ratings disaster and BTS drama at YR.

GH can say bye-bye to Billy Miller.  Y&R will now move heaven and Earth to get him back.  (Right after they unceremoniously usher out the hated JT).

• Love 4

if there was any supercouple I would ever interfere with, Sonny and Carly would be the one to get in the middle of, because I respect Maurice and Laura Wright so much. I’ll take any opportunity to work with them. I know the fans would come after me, but sometimes, you have to shake things up. So if that’s the path these two characters go, I would love it!”

I hope she turns and starts working with Sonny,”

shoot me now. I mean, she's not stupid. She knows the only way to get screen time is to be in CarSon's story. But really?

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Hater said:

Does Joss even mention Jax?

He's been brought up a few times this year, most notably when Joss told Cam (or was it Oscar?) that she knows the constellations of the southern hemisphere because she and Jax spend time in nature when she visits him. She's also mentioned it being awkward for her that he and Sonny don't get along. I think they're meant to have a solid relationship.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Ladybyrd said:

He's been brought up a few times this year, most notably when Joss told Cam (or was it Oscar?) that she knows the constellations of the southern hemisphere because she and Jax spend time in nature when she visits him. She's also mentioned it being awkward for her that he and Sonny don't get along. I think they're meant to have a solid relationship.

And, I know Eden McCoy is a big fan of his. She’s always commenting on his Instagram posts. I like Ingo with Laura Wright, too. She has no sexual chemistry with Maurice Bernard. Her Carly is better when Sonny & Carly have tension and are angry with each other. She has awesome chemistry with Ingo though. That darn chemistry is picky in daytime. LOL!!!!

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

And, I know Eden McCoy is a big fan of his. She’s always commenting on his Instagram posts. I like Ingo with Laura Wright, too. She has no sexual chemistry with Maurice Bernard. Her Carly is better when Sonny & Carly have tension and are angry with each other. She has awesome chemistry with Ingo though. That darn chemistry is picky in daytime. LOL!!!!

If Laura Wright was playing anyone else, I would be for her being paired with Ingo. But Carly, the narisicisstic, selfish women, over 35 year old,  who had two kids by two different men, and set out to destroy the father of her first born doesn't deserve Jax, even at his worse. And yes, for a man as rich as Jax, age is a factor, and Carly has absolutely no redeeming personality traits that make up for that. She isn't kind, generous or easy going and is selfish to her core. The woman demanded that for their daughter (and his only child) her picks for godparents should be honored (her boot licking cousin Lulu and hitman Jason, who disliked Jax even more than Alexis disliked Carly), eventhough his picks at the time were a lot more reasonable (Alexis, his best friend and Lucky, her cousin and a cop).

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

If Laura Wright was playing anyone else, I would be for her being paired with Ingo. But Carly, the narisicisstic, selfish women, over 35 year old,  who had two kids by two different men, and set out to destroy the father of her first born doesn't deserve Jax, even at his worse. And yes, for a man as rich as Jax, age is a factor, and Carly has absolutely no redeeming personality traits that make up for that. She isn't kind, generous or easy going and is selfish to her core. The woman demanded that for their daughter (and his only child) her picks for godparents should be honored (her boot licking cousin Lulu and hitman Jason, who disliked Jax even more than Alexis disliked Carly), eventhough his picks at the time were a lot more reasonable (Alexis, his best friend and Lucky, her cousin and a cop).

So, I’m guessing you don’t like LW or Carly, right? LOL!!!

11 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Didn't Carly also attempt to compare Drew to Jax and tell Sam that basically Jax would never match up to Sonny just like Drew can't match up to Jason because even though they are "nice guys" girls like them belong with trash like Scummy and Lassie?

Yes Jax does not deserve that. At all.

• Love 9

Laura Wright has always had more chemistry with Ingo than Maurice. If only Carly wasn't walking toxic waste.

1 hour ago, Ladybyrd said:

I think they're meant to have a solid relationship.

And yet Liz's sons can't be written to have solid if offscreen relationships with Lucky, oh nooooooo, how else can we make shitbags like Jason and Franco look like decent daddy material? #bitter

(I don't object to Jax and Joss being close offscreen. He doesn't deserve a deadbeat edit any more than Lucky does. But this is my THING. @ulkis, you feel me.)

• Love 15

Yes, LW doesn't half-ass anything when it comes to her acting, which I appreciate. I know that might sound like damning with faint praise, but I swear that it really isn't. She gives everything she gets her all, no matter how inane a lot of it may be. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, UYI said:

Yes, LW doesn't half-ass anything when it comes to her acting, which I appreciate. I know that might sound like damning with faint praise, but I swear that it really isn't. She gives everything she gets her all, no matter how inane a lot of it may be. 

Absolutely. I also think LW knows that Carly is a terrible person, and she doesn't undercut that the way MB does a lot of times with Sonny. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Neptune said:

I didn't buy the book but had to share this excerpt:

"Hand to God, there exists no bluer than blue than the waters of Lake Ontario - except perchance the blue eyes of a certain mister known to frequent the Blackstone Bridge. If you are looking for unrequited love, you could do worse than to try your luck at Blackstone. Tall, dark, black T-shirt, and leather-jacket-clad strangers abound."

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, nilyank said:

I didn't buy the book but had to share this excerpt:

"Hand to God, there exists no bluer than blue than the waters of Lake Ontario - except perchance the blue eyes of a certain mister known to frequent the Blackstone Bridge. If you are looking for unrequited love, you could do worse than to try your luck at Blackstone. Tall, dark, black T-shirt, and leather-jacket-clad strangers abound."

I am lmao! I am born and raised on Lake Ontario and lived here my whole life go in and on the Lake all summer, and it has never, ever ever been "bluer than blue".  Brown, yes, but blue?  um no!

• Love 3

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2018/12/ratings-report-for-the-week-of-december-3-7-2018

Ratings....

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 3,915,000 (-324,000/-558,000)
2. B&B 3,190,000 (-232,000/-417,000)
3. GH 2,307,000 (-118,000/-587,000)
4. DAYS 2,014,000 (-203,000/-307,000)

Down over half a million viewers versus last year. That seems like a lot when you only had a little over 3M viewers to begin with. Maybe it's just me but.....HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY STAYING ON THE AIR????

GH
Monday: 1.67/2,236,000
Tuesday: 1.73/2,310,000
Wednesday: 1.75/2,443,000
Thursday: 1.66/2,213,000
Friday: 1.73/2,335,000

So what was happening on Wednesday that made it the most watched day of the week, over a Friday and a Monday episode? 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, dubbel zout said:

YOU GUYS. The author of the PC guide book is Lucy Coe!

Does she point out the parts of town that are frequented by vampires? ;)

It's nice they used her for this.  If only they used Lucy on the actual show.  I mean, there is a current storyline she could be a part of...

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2018/12/ratings-report-for-the-week-of-december-3-7-2018

Ratings....

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 3,915,000 (-324,000/-558,000)
2. B&B 3,190,000 (-232,000/-417,000)
3. GH 2,307,000 (-118,000/-587,000)
4. DAYS 2,014,000 (-203,000/-307,000)

Down over half a million viewers versus last year. That seems like a lot when you only had a little over 3M viewers to begin with. Maybe it's just me but.....HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY STAYING ON THE AIR????

GH
Monday: 1.67/2,236,000
Tuesday: 1.73/2,310,000
Wednesday: 1.75/2,443,000
Thursday: 1.66/2,213,000
Friday: 1.73/2,335,000

So what was happening on Wednesday that made it the most watched day of the week, over a Friday and a Monday episode? 

Because the genre is dying overall.  Look at the other shows too. And ABC has nothing to replace it with, so they will plod along with this horrible show until someone at the top decides they don't want it on air anymore by which he or she will become the enemy for canning it.

It's not like Frank or the writers will ever be fired for the garbage they've been churning out for the last year specifically.  ABC just doesn't care. GH is a means to fill a spot for them and I guess as long as FV isn't costing too much, nothing is going to change.  Even though changes are needed.

Edited by Hater
  • Love 4
On 12/28/2018 at 11:56 AM, Hater said:

ABC just doesn't care. GH is a means to fill a spot for them and I guess as long as FV isn't costing too much, nothing is going to change.  Even though changes are needed.

I'll never understand why the writers don't go for broke. 

• Love 7

Ratings....

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2019/01/ratings-report-for-the-week-december-24-28-2018

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,314,000 (+344,000/-487,000)
2. B&B 3,379,000 (+196,000/-414,000)
3. DAYS 2,412,000 (+196,000/-85,000)
4. GH 2,318,000 (+2,000/-436,000)

Households
1. Y&R 3.07/10 (+.19/-.29)
2. B&B 2.4/7 (+.07/-.28)
3. DAYS 1.69/5 (+.08/-.07)
3. GH 1.69/5 (-.02/-.25)

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 442,000 (+42,000/-67,000)
2. DAYS 404,000 (+76,000/+40,000)
3. GH 364,000 (+33,000/-52,000)
4. B&B 347,000 (+18,000/-51,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 0.68/5 (+.06/ -.1)
2. DAYS 0.62/5 (+.11/+.06)
3. GH 0.56/4 (+.05/-.08)
4. B&B 0.54/4 (+.03/-.07) <——— ties low (7th straight week) **

** Rounded to 0.5

Women 18-34 Viewers
1. Y&R 118,000 (+6,000/-1,000)
2. B&B 103,000 (+4,000/+8,000)
3. DAYS 70,000 (+8,000/-1,000)
4. GH 68,000 (-9,000/-48,000)

Women 18-34 Rating
1. Y&R 0.34 (+.02/same) <———— ties low (5th straight week) *
2. B&B 0.3 (+.01/+.03)
3. DAYS 0.2 (+.02/same)
3. GH 0.2 (-.02/-.13) <——— ties low (17th straight week) **

* Rounded to 0.3
** Rounded to 0.2

Women 25-54 Viewers
1. Y&R 650,000 (+69,000/-171,000)
2. DAYS 508,000 (+81,000/-2,000)
3. B&B 506,000 (+35,000/-137,000)
4. GH 488,000 (+37,000/-121,000)

Women 25-54 Rating
1. Y&R 1.06 (+.11/-.28)
2. DAYS 0.83 (+.13/same)
2. B&B 0.83 (+.06/-.22)
4. GH 0.8 (+.06/-.19)

So every show EXCEPT GH gained over 100K viewers last week, and is now in last place. Are there any profits to be had from this show anymore? Because it sure seems like the cost of them keeping the lights on far outweighs what they're getting in return. 🤷🤷

• Love 2

the network has no viable replacement and the show continues to come in under budget, so it will stay on the air. Even if it isn't turning a huge (or any) profit, there's still a following and as others have said, ABC doesn't want to be the first network to eliminate all soaps from its lineup.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

the network has no viable replacement and the show continues to come in under budget, so it will stay on the air. Even if it isn't turning a huge (or any) profit, there's still a following and as others have said, ABC doesn't want to be the first network to eliminate all soaps from its lineup.

This. I think that's part of the reason why DAYS is still on the air--NBC cancelled its soaps left and right for decades, but once they were left with only DAYS, I think it hit them how bad it would look if they got rid of their final soap. 

• Love 5
On 1/11/2019 at 11:27 AM, Sake614 said:

But if no one is watching, what's the point of keeping it on the air? Getting beat by Days is a BFD and I just can't imagine any network letting a show that's not profitable stay on the air just because they're afraid of the backlash. They certainly didn't care when they canceled OLTL and AMC pretty much back to back. I feel like something's gotta give soon. Does anyone know when they're up for renewal?

44 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

But if no one is watching, what's the point of keeping it on the air?

People ARE watching. Maybe not as many as used to, but obviously they’re watching. You watch. I watch. Everyone on this board and others watch. So there’s still an audience, it’s just dwindling. I really wouldn’t read too much into the ratings.im sure the network doesn’t.

as for renewal, there is. No such thing because the network owns the show. ABC can cancel it anytime they want but with no viable replacement,it’s a better option to leave it alone. Clearly it’s generating some revenue or the advertisers would have pulled out.

Edited by Sake614
  • Love 2

As we've discussed earlier, I do think there's a legit concern within ABCD for it to be the first network with out an afternoon soap. That's a blow to history and prestige (insert joke here), and I think if the net does cancel GH, its replacement needs to be a real improvement in ratings. Nothing has been strong enough yet.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

As we've discussed earlier, I do think there's a legit concern within ABCD for it to be the first network with out an afternoon soap. That's a blow to history and prestige (insert joke here), and I think if the net does cancel GH, its replacement needs to be a real improvement in ratings. Nothing has been strong enough yet.

And unlike NBC, ABC risks being more embarrassed by cancellation, because of how massive the glory days of their daytime lineup really were. NBC's future as a one soap network was seen a mile away years ago. ABC's was not.

(Full disclosure: I'm a total hypocrite because I myself haven't watched regularly in a few years, but I do still care about this, whatever it's worth coming from me upon THAT confession.)

• Love 1

Yes, most of the offerings in the past few years as a potential replacement for GH have failed. But with ratings now in last place almost all the way around, it does beg the question of how long this show is financially viable to keep on the air. Eventually, maybe ABC will have to cede the hour and let local affiliates air what they will for the hour, be it a talk show, some court show, or repeats from old prime time shows.

• Love 2

Being in last place just doesn't mean as much, though, when there are only four soaps. When there were 12, it would have been more embarrassing. The CBS soaps (which are the most solid with the mortgages-and-Metamucil set that is less affected by 21st-century changes in entertainment options) are doing best of the worst, and there really isn't that much difference in the numbers between DOOL and GH. My prediction is that both DOOL and GH will hang in there for another three to five years.

But I don't think daytime drama is over as a genre. It needs a rethink.  

• Love 3

I was thinking today that all these streaming services the broadcast nets are launching - CBS All Access, the Disney/ABC one, and now this NBC one announced yesterday - would be smart to reboot some of their defunct soaps.  They're clearly luring in different audience bases with different IPs, they could get a whole other segment of viewers to pay in if they, I dunno, redid "As The World Turns", "One Life to Live", and "Santa Barbara" or something.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

But I don't think daytime drama is over as a genre. It needs a rethink.  

I don’t think it should air everyday, all year round. I also think it should be something that could be an online option, as well. IMO, the fact is, daytime doesn’t have the resources, the money, or the overall talent to be what it was back in the heyday. 

• Love 2

I'm afraid I just don't see soaps thriving online.  It's a tough transition for any show, but soap audiences tend to be a bit older and less tech savvy on the whole, and most casual viewers wouldn't bother.  There's so much work that goes into making a show that big, and I can't imagine any version of these soaps being profitable, unfortunately.  

I do think they're a dying genre, which makes me sad... even though there's always plenty to dislike about the show, I still genuinely love GH. I hate when people on here say things like, "put it out of its misery." When they're gone, they're gone, and I for one still miss AMC and One Life. 

With all that in mind, I'm frantically trying to learn to like Young & the Restless. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Aymery said:

AMC and OLTL bombed when they transitioned online and I'd hate for history to repeat itself. 

I think that had more to do with financial issues surrounding Prospect Park/legal issues with ABC, though. On Hulu they did pretty well; they certainly premiered with high numbers.

And that was in 2013, when online programming was really in its infancy. Several years down the road into the streaming age, online soaps might go over a lot better now. 

• Love 9

AMC and OLTL were very solid soaps in 2013, IMO. I felt AMC 2.0 was the best of the year. I felt those shows were the wave of the future for soaps. It was poor upper management that failed them, not the productions. Today there's at least a dozen shows on streaming like them. In not supporting and emulating them soaps missed the boat, again.

• Love 11