Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

(edited)

That's absolutely heartbreaking about Johnny Wactor. I enjoyed watching him so much and he had so much potential. What a pointless, awful loss. 😢

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Like 8
  • Sad 7
(edited)
14 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Makes me wonder if the robbers knew who he was and targeted him. How sad

Highly doubtful. Apparently they were trying to take the catalytic converter from his car and he confronted them. They shot him and ran. 🤬

Edited by Sake614
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
11 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Highly doubtful. Apparently they were trying to take the catalytic converter from his car and he confronted them. They shot him and ran. 🤬

Maybe I misread the article as I thought it said he didn’t confront them

• Like 3

Just read an article that said he was working at a bar and he and his co-worder were asked to stay late to clean up.   

• Sad 9
(edited)

So awful about Johnny Wactor. I cannot claim to have been a huge Brando Corbin fan, but I remember when he first appeared and we were trying to estimate JW's age, and I found an article from his hometown paper in which people were talking about how proud they were of him. This world. 

On 5/24/2024 at 6:06 AM, Asp Burger said:

I've seen the work of all the writing regimes going back to the '90s. The show was never worse than it was under the Altman/Passanante team.

On 5/25/2024 at 2:15 PM, jsbt said:

I knew it would happen. Passanante's AMC was if not the worst then at least the most consistently bad/boring soap I've ever watched, and her ATWT was equally bad.

After I posted my own comment, I remembered Megan McTavish's 2001-02 GH stint. But, forced to choose, I think I'd even take McTavish's year over Shelly/Jean. Not exclusively because of the shorter duration, either. As bad as it was, I was never bored.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 1

Crushing news,  how senseless.  I hate these bastards.  To view human life so cheaply.   I am so sorry for his loved ones.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1

It's so horrible. His poor family. Such a loss of life over a stupid car part.

You can really see how much the cast loved him. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4
(edited)

Reports from NBC and others say Johnny stepped in front of his co-worker. You have to have a lot of inner strength and belief in yourself to survive the ebbs and flows of the business, but a lot of times your humanity and feeling for others gets lost. In a world of pretend and too much and never enough adulation you can easily lose yourself. Johnny seemed to maintain his fundamental essence per Lindstrom, Hughes and other colleagues. It makes this all even more sad. I hope they quickly find and punish the perpetrators. 

Edited by ComeWhatMay
Typo
  • Sad 10
  • Love 5

It feels cynical of me to think this, but I hope the little bit of fame Wactor had and the fact that this is getting a ton of press means that the LAPD is actually going to have pressure to solve this case. The main point of the true crime community is creating publicity for cases in order to put pressure on the authorities to solve cases. Here the publicity is already there.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
18 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Murdering someone over a catalytic converter. Damn. What a shame. 

His mother told a news outlet he thought (from seeing the thieves at his car from a distance, I guess) his car was being towed. He approached and was shot. It sounds like he survived long enough to tell the police who arrived on scene what happened, then died at the hospital. 

• Sad 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

It sounds like he survived long enough to tell the police who arrived on scene what happened, then died at the hospital.

So awful, but hopefully he was able to be an organ donor then (if that is what he wanted), some small bit of light in such a dark situation.

Edited by Blackie
spelling
  • Like 3
21 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

It sounds like he survived long enough to tell the police who arrived on scene what happened, then died at the hospital. 

It was more likely his co-worker who told the police what happened.  Wactor was DOA from what I read.

• Sad 2

And, I’m sure those stupid burglars/killers had no idea who he was and wouldn’t think it make the news. He was finishing his shift as a bartender which most actors do between acting gigs. Hopefully, the co-worker will be able to provide more information and I would think they’d have cameras around. I must say GH has really been put through the wringer the past year. Very sad. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Such sad news about Johnny Wactor. I have to admit I was never a great fan of the Brando character, but that was on the writing, not him. And this just gives me another reason to be mad at GH-- if they hadn't fired him for reasons that were not his fault, he probably wouldn't have been working at that bar and would still be alive. Sure, it's a stretch, but I'll take any opportunity to blame GH for anything these days. They suck. I feel very bad for Johnny's family.

• Like 8

GH has new promo pics on Instagram. Here’s a link to the account:

https://www.instagram.com/generalhospitalabc/

The pics show 12 characters and the leads are Sonny, Jason, Carly, (of course) and Dante (yeah!) with co-stars Anna and Laura and a fierce looking Tracy.

No Finn and most of the black characters are very peripheral (no Bennett but Trina is in front in one pic).

Everyone looks photoshopped in so easily replaceable in pics and probably in the show too, outside of the mains.

We’re back to the mob, folks!

• Sad 9
  • Angry 4
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

For some lighter news, here's an article about Gio Mazza.

He is seriously cute. I'm digging the shot of him 

Hide contents

in his Pool Boy outfit.

I thought that was an old pic of NAC during his Spencer run! Well hopefully this new kid can make some similar magic. 

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, jma13 said:

I thought that was an old pic of NAC during his Spencer run! Well hopefully this new kid can make some similar magic. 

There's a reason why so many people were speculating he was a Spencer recast when his photos first started circulating. I don't get why they just didn't use him as a recast but maybe they don't want to put that kind of pressure on the kid. 

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

The writing Emmy is ... a choice.

And accepted by fired/rehired or never fired Dan O’Connor as Head Writer clinches it.

• LOL 3

Laura Wright and Steve Burton presenting Best Actress category. LW went on and on about how happy she was that he was back on the show. He was more demure and task oriented. He looked quite good in his all black tux. Felt like they were channeling their characters which was… a choice.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, General Days said:

Is there not/was there never a Daytime Emmy's thread here at Primetimer? I looked, but all I could find was the Primetime Emmy forum.

There doesn’t seem to be one but you could create one/have one created in the Awards category

• Thanks 1

There's a video online of GH  winning, and it's, well, I don't know what word to use.   LW pushes her way to the front, attaches herself to Frank, and literally reads his phone that he is reading his speech from.  Then they hug and she yells "YEAH!".  I don't know how her costars  handle her.   I was flabbergasted. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Angry 2

Outside of the Directors Emmy, I don’t think GH deserved any of these awards (neither did Michelle Stafford for Best Actress or Torsten Kaye for Best Actor so I’m an equal opportunity curmudgeon).

I can’t access The Bay or Neighbours, but I know the competition for writing and best show from Y&R and B&B, is very weak.

I hear DOOL submitted the scenes around Victor’s death (John Aniston) and a lot of great performances happened there but everyone was snubbed.

I also saw LW front and centre during the acceptance speech, everyone else was further. FV looked just as weird as he did in December and didn’t mention Johnny’s passing (someone who presented or accepted an award did though, I can’t remember who).

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

The highlight for me - which is usually the case - was seeing the performers in the audience, off set and not in character.  Everyone looked great, and like they were enjoying themselves (as Kelly Clarkson alluded to).  

The final acceptance was just…weird.  I nearly missed LW’s performance as I was so focused on FV’s emotionless, monotone reading from his phone.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Writing, directing and outstanding drama series. We’ll never be rid of this team now! 😫

I generally like LW (not Carly) but last night was definitely odd. Pushing her way to the front and hanging onto FV during the acceptance speech? She’s already the lead actress on the show. Is she that insecure that she needs to hog the spotlight at an awards show too?

• Like 6
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

generally like LW (not Carly) but last night was definitely odd. Pushing her way to the front and hanging onto FV during the acceptance speech? She’s already the lead actress on the show. Is she that insecure that she needs to hog the spotlight at an awards show too?

Didn't see it, but that's why I don't believe that there is no BTS favoritism going on there.  This ~performance sounds about on par with what I would expect, tbh.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Desperado said:

FV looked just as weird as he did in December and didn’t mention Johnny’s passing (someone who presented or accepted an award did though, I can’t remember who).

It was the director, who seemed very emotional. Understandable and profoundly human. JW was let go too, right? How things ended for him could be eating at some people… 

FV did not look well again. I have my issues with his, err, management style, but I really do hope the man is okay.

I have decided LW either struggles to, or does not care to, read the room. I think it’s the latter. She’s the self-appointed “prize pony” darn it. ;-) In all seriousness, reading her boss’ phone and clutching him is a mess. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
40 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Writing, directing and outstanding drama series. We’ll never be rid of this team now! 😫

I generally like LW (not Carly) but last night was definitely odd. Pushing her way to the front and hanging onto FV during the acceptance speech? She’s already the lead actress on the show. Is she that insecure that she needs to hog the spotlight at an awards show too?

Yes, she is.  For a very long time, I never held anything against her, figuring it was BTS stuff and she's just doing her job.  But I changed my mind about that a bit ago, and seeing that video...damn.  I'm sure some of us have had  coworkers like this.  I just feel sorry for her costars, and I will never believe she's beloved on that set.  Never. 

14 minutes ago, ComeWhatMay said:

It was the director, who seemed very emotional. Understandable and profoundly human. JW was let go too, right? How things ended for him could be eating at some people… 

I thought of that too.  It may very well be the case.  It's no one's fault but the  shooter's, of course.   Still, we all do the woulda coulda shoulda when something tragic happens.  It's understandable.  

• Like 9

I don't watch any of the other soaps (even gave up my beloved Steve and Kayla when they moved to Peacock, because....no), so maybe GH is better than they are.  I just hope they don't take the win as evidence that they are reaching their potential, because they are not.

I watched and did not see LW pushing her way into anything.  She simply walked to an unoccupied position and stood there, albeit while touching FV.  For me, who is not familiar with FV, the most remarkable thing was the bluntness of his affect and tone of speech.  Didn't look or sound like someone who was happy, and it made me wonder why.  

I did enjoy that Kelly Clarkson called out the GH tables for knowing how to enjoy a party, because it made me think that the cast and crew genuinely like each other, and if that's true, I'm happy for them.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
54 minutes ago, ComeWhatMay said:

I have decided LW either struggles to, or does not care to, read the room. I think it’s the latter. She’s the self-appointed “prize pony” darn it. ;-) In all seriousness, reading her boss’ phone and clutching him is a mess. 

Yes, I imagine he, and all of them, are feeling some raw emotions so soon after a former colleague was murdered.  Was JW actually fired? 

I really thought it was icky that after Stafford's acceptance speech in which she gave a shout-out to her former co-star (Finola) Hughes, Hughes who is the real long-term star stayed, or was left, in the back of the stage when FV accepted for the show while Wright made sure to get to the front and be by his side. I don't doubt that the show's "leadership" has encouraged or at least allowed her to think that she, Burton and Benard are the true stars of GH. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

Alley Mills (and FV) may have let slip that CVE is in as a HW again adjacent to Korte. 

There is video circulating on X of Alley’s red carpet interview. CVE apparently calls her on the phone to talk storylines and Heather could wind up rooming with Laura? Maybe a joke, maybe not with this lot? Whole lotta yikes. 

Was that Korte positioned between the fired Dan (accepting for them) and Chris? It looked awkward and Korte’s smiling reflected it. Now I think I know why. 

FV, as apparently he has done before, declined to answer questions from the press after the show’s win. 

Greg Vaughn gave a barnburner interview when he departed years ago that implied there was a network mandate around Sonny, Jason, and Carly. He said he was sure there were “political reasons” to feature them so heavily, but it resulted in wasting other talents who have come through there over the years. It still does. Mo/Sonny is still way over others in episode counts. And it would appear to me the mandate remains in effect. 

2 hours ago, JMO said:

For me, who is not familiar with FV, the most remarkable thing was the bluntness of his affect and tone of speech.  Didn't look or sound like someone who was happy, and it made me wonder why.  

If FV is not happy, it may be that there’s more to the problems than just him. He has his people (friends of Frank), and keeps them around when it doesn’t make sense, but some of the stuff may be dictates from above him and even Nathan Varni? I don’t say this to make excuses for him or them, but the truth of what’s going on and what ails the show may be convoluted. I see people like Alley (who has been around) say he “looks into your soul” and NAC refer to Frank as a “friend and mentor” and it makes me think.

Podcasters, citing “toxicity” bleeding onto the screen, have been bailing on the show lately so they might want to start airing the backstage shenanigans. ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1