Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Didn't Gothard himself attend college and graduate school? How can the Quiverfull moment change anything in the world if they don't produce educated children?

I wonder if divorce would be permitted if Anna were the one who kept cheating?

I've asked this one in the echo chamber here, and in my own mind, about eleventy billion times, lol. 

As the link also pointed out that IBLP owns some $80M in real estate, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "nothing is as important as making Bill Gothard financially comfortable, much in the manner of L. Ron Hubbard".  Or, "After me, the deluge!" 

It doesn't matter so much if the Duggars and their ilk "take over the world". or in fact wind up broke and dissatisfied after the snake oil salesman dies; though probably the (lest we forget) totally enmeshed cultists such as David Waller and Gil Bates, will have something to say about that.  It just matters that they'll keep pouring tuition monies into the likes of Alert and JTTH.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I've asked this one in the echo chamber here, and in my own mind, about eleventy billion times, lol. 

As the link also pointed out that IBLP owns some $80M in real estate, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "nothing is as important as making Bill Gothard financially comfortable, much in the manner of L. Ron Hubbard".  Or, "After me, the deluge!" 

It doesn't matter so much if the Duggars and their ilk "take over the world". or in fact wind up broke and dissatisfied after the snake oil salesman dies; though probably the (lest we forget) totally enmeshed cultists such as David Waller and Gil Bates, will have something to say about that.  It just matters that they'll keep pouring tuition monies into the likes of Alert and JTTH.

Bingo. Whether Gothard admits it to himself or not, at least for decades -- and perhaps from the beginning -- this whole thing has been a moneymaking scheme (and malleable young-woman-getting scheme) for him and for his hanger-on brothers. As we've seen with the one brother's sexual misadventures and the other's Madoff-type investment scheme with the church folk, being a con artist even runs in Bill's family.

From the 60s onward, he leaped onto several bandwagons that carried conservative Christians wringing their hands over something or other -- first over the "juvenile delinquency" and teen and 20-something decadence of hippies and other 60s-70s types. Then homeschooling. And so on.

He even tried like crazy (with some success in a few states) to become a government contractor based on his snake oil. Because -- bucks. That's another reason why he hasn't cared at all about what church his followers went to, why he's pitched it as something quite separate from all the known theologies. His only interest has been in selling his wares to whoever is confused enough to buy them.

Even the so-called leaders of the cult are mostly just patsies of his, in my opinion. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, queenanne said:

Sorry, the browser seems to hate this configuration, as evinced by how randomly it just shoved my quotes into a ball... let's try it again:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/theslice/duggars-bill-gothard-iblp

One thing that this article makes clear is that the Duggars are an important marketing tool for Gothard. It is the 1X Kids and Counting shows that have brought in new recruits for years. The Duggars really are -- at least partially -- responsible for harming a lot of people, and TLC is complicit.

• Love 1

Oh, absolutely!  In fact, the article was published in 2015, and I feel the reporter said her source made it pretty clear that the Duggars' influence was still a big then-current draw in enticing other families to lash their kids to the abuse wagon.  Sending them to Australia, indicates to me that IBLP still thinks they can.

• Love 1

Yikes, the Turpins led to me a rabbit hole of the Pilgrim-Hale/Buckingham families.

The Duggar and Bates families look almost normal compared to them. Well maybe not so much, but wow, there is a whole subculture of religiously zealous families out there.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Yikes, the Turpins led to me a rabbit hole of the Pilgrim-Hale/Buckingham families.

The Duggar and Bates families look almost normal compared to them. Well maybe not so much, but wow, there is a whole subculture of religiously zealous families out there.

read a tiny bit about the hale family and feel even more sick now.  

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I didn't click on the link, but I read your description and was suddenly reminded of that Bill Murray movie "Groundhog Day."

They do not tape the weddings anymore all theydo is Photoshop the weddings just insert the bride and Groom faces.

• Love 8

Counting on TV Viewers Having Too Much Time on Their Hands

Counting on Inertia

Counting on Extremely High Tolerance for Boredom

Counting on This Being a Really Cheap Show to Produce 

Counting on People Using TV as a Sleeping Aid

Counting on Boob Knowing Where Nancy Buried Some Body

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
19 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Counting on Boob Knowing Where Nancy Buried Some Body

How does he know where I buried the bodies at? Oh, you meant the other Nancy. Sorry, my mistake. Nothing to see here folks. Move along please.

On 2/5/2018 at 5:45 AM, floridamom said:

Does anyone know the status of that lawsuit?

Don't these things usually take years? Not sure why they do, but I think they can linger on for 5 - 10 years.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Don't these things usually take years? Not sure why they do, but I think they can linger on for 5 - 10 years.

Even a simple car accident case can take 5 years. They'll be at least 3 marriges and 15 grandchildren deeper in the hole if/when there's a (hopefully) measly payout. That would be the best kind of justice.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Jessa would probably organize(she's good at that) a coup and the first two to be thrown to the curb would be Michelle and Jim Bob!

Plus who's gonna tell Jinger that she has to come back in order to be kicked out?

Jessa would put all the money in her name, nuke the site from orbit, then post an intagram of her kids building a snowman in the nuclear winter.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

JD looks like he is ready to turn into a vampire. 

He looks like he's auditioning for a remake of Dark Shadows. 

49 minutes ago, MichaelaRae said:

Man, loving the right Jesus the MOSTEST really ages you.

Being wholly responsible for the success of the second coming is a heavy burden to carry. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Lunera said:

New promo pictures. Si and JD are frightening, Joe looks decent.

e1a44ed9-ee83-4334-b9eb-65774b474088.thumb.jpg.5a57637ecf9a23d796778afd353f94f2.jpg

Screenshot_20180214-104905.thumb.jpg.c147112ed0dd9377af6dc95ddd3679c5.jpg

ea930068-934a-42fc-9ce0-9b1ae9eb56e6.thumb.jpg.c172096c7537f0eb2cf8be66d2517e59.jpg

They had to have computer generated  more hair on Joe to get rid of the dippy curl. He looks somwhat normal.  If it is somehow real, why didn't he grow it out & wear it liike this for his wedding? Why did they have JD lean in at that angle so all we notice is rhe receding hairline which is really receding on him?  He does look like a vampire. They should have added more hair on  him also. 

• Love 6