Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

They were in TN. From what I understand, the entire family, sans Jill, was at the Bates graduation bash last weekend. So yeah, they are slowly releasing Smugs back into the wild.

He was in the middle of a very touristy area where Dollywood is. 

10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The article notes that they agreed to pose for the picture. Original photo credit was not given.

This is under the photo - (Photo Credit: In Touch) - I assumed that meant an InTouch employee took the picture, or at least, an independent paparazzi.

5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This is under the photo - (Photo Credit: In Touch) - I assumed that meant an InTouch employee took the picture, or at least, an independent paparazzi.

The photo was taken by the cashier of the place where they ate. The cashier was a fan of the Duggars and was thrilled to see them there.  She shared the photo with the waitress who served them.  The waitress posted the photo on an internet group she frequented, complaining about having to serve them.  The waitress is also the one who says that three other families left because Josh was there.

In Touch didn't take the photo, they bought it.  The photo was being passed around online for at least two days before In Touch got hold of it.  I saw it myself more than 24 hours before In Touch published it.  God only knows who got paid for selling it, but it's the property of In Touch now.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Zahdii said:

The photo was taken by the cashier of the place where they ate. The cashier was a fan of the Duggars and was thrilled to see them there.  She shared the photo with the waitress who served them.  The waitress posted the photo on an internet group she frequented, complaining about having to serve them.  The waitress is also the one who says that three other families left because Josh was there.

In Touch didn't take the photo, they bought it.  The photo was being passed around online for at least two days before In Touch got hold of it.  I saw it myself more than 24 hours before In Touch published it.  God only knows who got paid for selling it, but it's the property of In Touch now.

Initially, the cashier owned the photo, since she took the photo. In Touch would've paid the cashier for the rights to the photo. 

• Love 2

A video I saw this morning. Have we heard about/discussed this "camp" for brokering marriages to get their kids producing other kids ASAP? I can't begin to say how repulsive these people are to me, and how deeply I feel for their sons and daughters. Of special note is how the TYT hosts first grapple with the whole term "quiverfull." We discuss all this so often and so specifically that one can forget how completely foreign and bizarre it all is.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=UaR15gYfzmk

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SometimesBites said:

A video I saw this morning. Have we heard about/discussed this "camp" for brokering marriages to get their kids producing other kids ASAP? I can't begin to say how repulsive these people are to me, and how deeply I feel for their sons and daughters. Of special note is how the TYT hosts first grapple with the whole term "quiverfull." We discuss all this so often and so specifically that one can forget how completely foreign and bizarre it all is.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=UaR15gYfzmk

It's been discussed over in the "Old Time Religion" topic. I agree: Yecch. BTW they cancelled it after the Salvation Army refused to allow the use of its venue for the "camp." 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

It's been discussed over in the "Old Time Religion" topic. I agree: Yecch. BTW they cancelled it after the Salvation Army refused to allow the use of its venue for the "camp." 

Thank you for that clarification, Jeeves. I couldn't imagine that the ever-vigilant PTV gang would have let this abomination fly under the radar. :)

• Love 1

What day do the new scandals come out? Media owes us one after this abomination of a season, TLC specifically. Maybe this time they 'forgot' to get shhhh contracts from the crew. Spill peeps. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I hope Wonkette is considered acceptable media here, because this article is pretty funny!  http://wonkette.com/601394/jill-and-jessa-counting-on-finale-our-long-national-nightmare-is-over-at-last

Thanks for that link, BetybeeVERY funny article giving a truthful recap of the final episode.  My favorite line:

"We open in the still-undisclosed-but-no-doubt-super-terrifying Central American location where Jill and Derick are currently god-bothering the natives."  Too fucking funny!

• Love 7

The Busby Quintuplets to replace Duggars

I sure hope this is true! I really like OutDaughtered. So less creepy than the Duggers (and they're also Christian from what I've read, and maybe that will placate the Duggar-Huggers somewhat.)

Maybe TLC can finally get rid of the Duggars if this new show takes hold. (They're the 1st quintuplets born in the USA that were all the same sex, and they already had one daughter, so now they have six daughters.)

(edited)

Since this article is from last August, about three weeks after the Duggars were officially canceled (late July), I guess "replacing the Duggars" could have been an accurate assessment at the time. Of course, TLC brought those asswipes back and delayed the release of this show until the D's marginally successful run of specials had run its course. 

I hope this show does well, but multiples aren't my cuppa tea, so I'll pass. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
details, details...
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Since this article is from last August, about three weeks after the Duggars were officially canceled (late July), I guess "replacing the Duggars" could have been an accurate assessment at the time. Of course, TLC brought those asswipes back and delayed the release of this show until the D's marginally successful run of specials had run its course. 

I hope this show does well, but multiples aren't my cuppa tea, so I'll pass. 

I think that's what happened, too.  TLC apparently signed the family for the new show about the Quints and then immediately canceled the Duggars.  I still think the only reason the Jill & Jessa show started is that they had a contract for a spinoff that couldn't be canceled, so TLC had to go forward with it.  Remember, there is a production company that films, produces, scripts and edits the show for airing, so a third party is also involved in contracts. http://www.figure8films.tv/site/

It's interesting that the Little People show has greater viewership than the Jill & Jessa show had.  I don't think the Duggar girls' show will be renewed.  It seemed to have a very low budget and about half the audience that the old Duggar series had.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm no expert, but I don't think that TLC has any contracts - for regular shows, specials, or spinoffs - which do not allow TLC total control over a decision to cancel a show.

Maybe someone with better knowledge can clarify this. In the meantime, here's my take on it.

TLC was all over the place in response to Joshgate 1 and Joshgate 2 last year. I am 100% convinced that TLC could have just dumped the Duggars including their Jill/Jessa spinoff, as fast as it dumped Honey Boo Boo. But TLC didn't. TLC waffled. It waited a few days to pull reruns off the air after Joshgate 1, then a few months later finally said 19K&C was cancelled, after Joshgate 2 hit.

TLC played games by having Michelle, Jill, and Jessa show up for that sexual molestation/abuse special, and then it went ahead with the Counting On specials and series. 

TLC has been reluctant to dump the Duggars. But IMO that is not because it is required by contract to keep them on the air for a single quick minute if TLC doesn't want them there. Obviously, TLC wanted the Duggars to continue to appear on their channel, so it happened. Yes, folks, AFAIK TLC brought us the dreck that was Counting On, because it wanted to, not because it was obliged to.

EDITED to add: Of course, if a TLC-contracted show had gone into production, and then TLC decided to cancel, TLC would have to pay whatever the contract required for the production work already done. The "sunk costs" would be taken into account in a decision to cancel an already-in-production show. Maybe TLC was driven by that consideration, plus the Duggars' former high ratings, plus the potential value of all the older episodes/seasons as repeats, when deciding to keep the Duggars in the lineup. Who knows? 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8

TLC has plenty of airtime to go around. They're still churning out Little People, Big World, despite the kids leaving home, that one son becoming estranged, and the parents getting divorced. 

• Love 4

No network is going to tie themselves up so that they cannot cancel a TV show.  A lot of TV shows are produced by a company other than the network and we see shows cancelled all the time.  TLC wanted to try to bring the Duggars back.  The three "specials" in the fall were successful enough regarding ratings.  TLC thought they could continue on with emphasis on Jill, Jessa, and the other older kids.  The idea might have been fine, but their execution was dreadful.  Add in loss of advertisers and it didn't turn out as they planned. 

• Love 4

Thanks everyone for chiming in about this. I admit I'm totally confused by it--I have zero understanding of the business of reality TV. I find it so bizarre that TLC was so confident that they could make a new series work, considering the nature of Josh Duggar's crimes. But if they were that bound and determined to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, it's even weirder that, as Absolom said, the execution was so dreadful. You'd think they'd be really careful about milking this particular cash cow, but it was totally slapdash. From the weird, random promo photos (none of which featured Jill, despite her name being in the title of the show) to the shows themselves being comprised of 80% recycled 19KAC footage, none of it makes any sense to me at all.

• Love 1

I think that TLC at this point really just wants to be able to re-run the wealth of Duggar shows they already have. So by airing some new shows without the offending parties and buying some time they may accomplish that. TLC used to be the Duggar network like E is to Kardashian and Bravo to Housewives so for any of those networks losing first run product would be a huge hit but losing the ability to re-run old shows is probably worse.

• Love 5
(edited)

I think TLC went ahead with the horribly named "Counting On" shows and then found out after the fact that not only had advertisers stayed away in droves, but their new 'stars' were really bad at their job.  It wouldn't be a surprise to me if very soon after taping started, the more experienced TLC employees were moved onto other projects and what was shown to the public is the result of the B or C team in all avenues.  The lowest level writers, producers, directors, editing, production, field crew, etc.  I bet even craft services only consisted of a box of doughnuts, a veggie tray from the local supermarket, and a cooler of bottled water and juice boxes.

Edited by Zahdii
spelling - again
  • Love 7
(edited)

I'll be the cynical one here.  TLC wanted to have it both or rather all ways.  They *had* to drop "19&C" in the wake of Joshgate 1.  Not only were Josh's sins that great, they subsequent reveal of how poorly Jim Bob & Michele handled the situation made it clear they were not fit to be moral paragons, even in the reality tv sense.  However, the massive write-down in due to the huge hole it would leave in their line-up plus the problematic morality of punishing the victims - namely, the sisters who were molested - also put TLC in an awkward position, hence the birth of the terribly named "Counting On" (which, as we've all noted, should be rightly named "Counting on (a Paycheck)"), over which TLC pretty much hurt themselves slapping themselves on the back, congratulating themselves on being so damned clever.  Except ... now we have the problem that of the two sisters who married, one has apparently "gone native" or, well, someone has discovered edible marijuana products while playing missionary and the other one is married to a teenager who is essentially the indenture servant of Toxic Daddy Duggar. But hey, they both popped out kids, right? Yeah, let's review how *that* turned out ... or not.  So the solution is to inject more Duggars (because that's all they pretty much have to work with), except they've all been raised in an echo chamber of questionable theology and shame and are about as interesting to watch as paint dry.  Meanwhile, back on the bottom line, the advertisers still stayed away regardless of the fact that they're parading Josh's wife around and having botched home births of babies mainly because it doesn't matter what Duggar they introduce into the mix, the only people who want to watch this are either the posters here taking one for the team or the hardcore Duggar Huggars who don't seem to understand that the fallout from molesting your sisters and/or being complicit in the molestation of your daughters by your son doesn't end because Jesus forgave you.  TLC is now figuring out they cannot, in fact, have it all ways and they either need to plug another overtly fundy-friendly mega family into the mix or get out of that line of programming and stick to their milieu, which seemingly consists of shows about polygamy, little people, large people, semi-Amish people, the wedding-industrial complex and running updates on shows that were their bread and butter until the stars they created alienated their audiences (a familiar theme).

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 23
10 minutes ago, Lemur said:

I'll be the cynical one here.  TLC wanted to have it both or rather all ways.  They *had* to drop "19&C" in the wake of Joshgate 1.  Not only were Josh's sins that great, they subsequent reveal of how poorly Jim Bob & Michele handled the situation made it clear they were not fit to be moral paragons, even in the reality tv sense.  However, the massive write-down in due to the huge hole it would leave in their line-up plus the problematic morality of punishing the victims - namely, the sisters who were molested also put TLC in an awkward position, hence the birth of the terribly named "Counting On" (which, as we've all noted, should be rightly name "Counting on (a Paycheck)"), over which TLC pretty much hurt themselves slapping themselves on the back, congratulating themselves on being so damned clever.  Except ... now we have the problem that of the two sisters who married, one has apparently "gone native" or, well, someone has discovered edible marijuana products while playing missionary and the other one is married to a teenager who is essentially the indenture servant of Toxic Daddy Duggar. But hey, they both popped out kids, right? Yeah, let's review how *that* turned out ... or not.  So the solution is to inject more Duggars (because that's all they pretty much have to work with), except they've all been raised in an echo chamber of questionable theology and shame and are about as interesting to watch as paint dry.  Meanwhile, back on the bottom line, the advertisers still stayed away regardless of the fact that they're parading Josh's wife around and having botched home births of babies mainly because it doesn't matter what Duggar they introduce into the mix, the only people who want to watch this are either the posters here taking one for the team or the hardcore Duggar Huggars who don't seem to understand that the fallout from molesting your sisters and/or being complicit in the molestation of your daughters by your son doesn't end because Jesus forgave you.  TLC is now figuring out they cannot, in fact, have it all ways and they either need to plug another overtly fundy-friendly mega family into the mix or get out of that line of programming and stick to their milieu, which seemingly consists of shows about polygamy, little people, large people, semi-Amish people, the wedding-industrial complex and running updates on shows that were their bread and butter until the stars they created alienated their audiences (a familiar theme).

That was great, Lemur. I think you're probably as spot-on as it is possible to get, there. Everything you said sounds about right. It's just hard to imagine that there are executives in power positions at TLC who presumably make a ton of money and have to answer to shareholders and really are THAT stupid.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Aja said:

That was great, Lemur. I think you're probably as spot-on as it is possible to get, there. Everything you said sounds about right. It's just hard to imagine that there are executives in power positions at TLC who presumably make a ton of money and have to answer to shareholders and really are THAT stupid.

If you read any of Nancy's (Executive VP of Programming at TLC) comments over the past year on the Duggars, they're not only stupid, they're craven, greedy, and have no shame. It really doesn't matter what happens to the people or families they feature on their programming; they're interested in the bottom line. Nobody actually cared about Jessa Blessa and Jilly Muffin's "journey". TLC was attempting to rehabilitate the Duggars' brand to the extent that the 10 years of shows they're still sitting on could be broadcast as repeats.

Interestingly enough, the executives at TLC think the viewing public is stupid. I still think it's comical that they believed the advertiser boycotts were "a few disgruntled viewers" and wouldn't happen a second time. Those advertisers didn't pull out because they got a few nastygrams. They got hundreds of thousands at the least. It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall during their latest shareholders meeting in which they had to explain a $24 million write-down because they didn't spend a minute fraction of that amount on a background check conducted by a reputable firm.

• Love 8
On 5/12/2016 at 10:59 AM, Aja said:

Having lived in the corporate world all my adult life, I never underestimate the stupidity of the corporate world.  A quick buck for a bump in the stock price is often good enough. 

• Love 5

It's a bumper crop of news about the Duggars! Woooo-hooooo!

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/jill-and-jessa-duggar-accused-of-scheduling-pregnancies-to-keep-tlc-from-canceling-spinoff-show/

Please note the curious wording of this quote. Jilly Muffin, is there something you're not telling us?

“I’m not pregnant yet, that’s the question everyone keeps asking me. Not yet,” Jill continued. “I feel like we will have another child. I just don’t know how. It will probably be a naturalized citizen of the family.”

Please explain to me how a married woman with a one-year-old does not know "how" she might become pregnant. And an adoption would not be a "naturalized citizen" of a family. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

Please explain to me how a married woman with a one-year-old does not know "how" she might become pregnant. 

Well, in all fairness, it was Jessa getting the dry humping lesson at the golf course. Jill wasn't there. 

• Love 10

“I’m not pregnant yet, that’s the question everyone keeps asking me. Not yet,” Jill continued. “I feel like we will have another child. I just don’t know how. It will probably be a naturalized citizen of the family.”

"I'm saying words. Words that mean nothing. I'm not sure what they mean. Babies. Words. Something about another country. Words."

• Love 21
27 minutes ago, Aja said:

"I'm saying words. Words that mean nothing. I'm not sure what they mean. Babies. Words. Something about another country. Words."

So, just throwing this one out here: Did she just tell everyone she's unable to have any more children?

Words mean things, Jilly Muffin.

• Love 12

How long is the recommended waiting period between a c-section and a new pregnancy? Perhaps the headship put his foot down and demanded they follow doctor's orders and wait before trying for a new blessing? I honestly don't think Derrick is all on board with the 'allowing the lord to decide the size of his family' BS. He might have thought he was during the courtship phase and early days of marriage but I think Izzy's birth made his dormant critical thinking skills kick in (he must possess a least some if he managed to graduate from a secular college) and he realised that his wife's life and health is more important to him than following the rules of a cult he didn't even grow up in.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if the second generation of Duggars might be less enthused by the Quiverfull lifestyle than they let on in public. Both Jill and Jessa did their duty and popped out a blessing each as soon as possible, probably to placate Boob's obsession with re-creating the twelve tribes of Israel in his own backyard, but ever since there has been very little pregnancy talk and a lot of adoption talk from both of them. The contrast between the Duggar sisters and Anna (and Mechelle) is pretty striking. Those two crave new babies even before their last ones are weaned.

Josh never seemed too happy with the idea of nineteen kids of his own either. How many times did he repeat that he'd be happy with three or four, even early on in his marriage?

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Both Jill and Jessa did their duty and popped out a blessing each as soon as possible, probably to placate Boob's obsession with re-creating the twelve tribes of Israel in his own backyard, but ever since there has been very little pregnancy talk and a lot of adoption talk from both of them.

They're doing anything they can right now to get a second season of "Counting On", up to and including yapping about vaporware adoptions. Bin is not eligible until age 21 and must submit to a formula on how old of a child they'd be able to adopt because of his age, right? It's not like Jilly Muffin can go to the local Wal-Mart and pick out a baby, either.

We know you read here, Jilly Muffin and Jessa Blessa (or their "representatives"). Let's see some paperwork and home visits. Pics or it didn't happen, ladies.

• Love 5
(edited)

They're doing anything they can right now to get a second season of "Counting On", up to and including yapping about vaporware adoptions. Bin is not eligible until age 21 and must submit to a formula on how old of a child they'd be able to adopt because of his age, right? It's not like Jilly Muffin can go to the local Wal-Mart and pick out a baby, either.

I agree that they are desperate for the show to continue and would probably do and say anything to make that happen, but I also think that the adoption talk could be a way to maintain their public Quiverfull "image" of wanting loads of children without actually having to go through an insane amount of pregnancies, OR a way of keeping Boob off their backs. (Or both)

Since Mechelle and Boob have been harping on about adoption for ages without actually doing anything about it, he can't make too much of a fuss if his daughters do the same. This family is so passive aggressive, dishonest and careful to project a "godly" image, even amongst themselves, that they would have severe difficulties having a conversation that isn't built on platitudes, Bible/Gothard quotes and fake smiles. And while this is tragic in a way, I think it might actually be useful to a daughter who doesn't want to give birth to nineteen kids of her own. Daddy Duggar asks when the next grandbaby is coming. Daughter smiles sweetly and delivers spiel about adoption, God's will etc, pretty much identical to what her parents have delivered in the past. Boob grits teeth and doesn't believe a word but can't argue because daughter is saying all the right words. And he can't call her out on her bullshit because that could mean that all the bullshit, including his own, would come tumbling down.

I realise I'm likely giving the Duggs too much credit here, they're probably not that wily.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

It's a bumper crop of news about the Duggars! Woooo-hooooo!

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/jill-and-jessa-duggar-accused-of-scheduling-pregnancies-to-keep-tlc-from-canceling-spinoff-show/

Please note the curious wording of this quote. Jilly Muffin, is there something you're not telling us?

Please explain to me how a married woman with a one-year-old does not know "how" she might become pregnant. And an adoption would not be a "naturalized citizen" of a family. 

God, I MUST be losing brain cells;  I think I understand Muffy's idiotic convoluted message!

Muffy is trying to say that because they are god's spechel little snowflakes he'll fulfill the Dullards' order for another child. It may be by Muffy giving birth, a domestic adoption or a foreign adoption. But it will happen because jezuz & all. Us heathens will just have to keep watching the show for the news.

On another more shallow note, man is Jessa's hairline receding!! (see pic in article) It's worse than JD & Josiah's.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Since Mechelle and Boob has been harping on about adoption for ages without actually doing anything about it, he can't make too much of a fuss if his daughters do the same. This family is so passive aggressive, dishonest and careful to project a "godly" image, even amongst themselves, that they would have severe difficulties having a conversation that isn't built on platitudes, Bible/Gothard quotes and fake smiles.

No kidding. You know what always bothered me the most about their adoption talk?  Well okay maybe not the most, but right up there, was how Mechelle starts every show with "and I delivered every one of them."  What was the adopted child going to get?  "Oh and by the way, this one showed up too"?

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/18/2016 at 4:17 PM, lulu69 said:

God, I MUST be losing brain cells;  I think I understand Muffy's idiotic convoluted message!

Muffy is trying to say that because they are god's spechel little snowflakes he'll fulfill the Dullards' order for another child. It may be by Muffy giving birth, a domestic adoption or a foreign adoption. But it will happen because jezuz & all. Us heathens will just have to keep watching the show for the news.

I actually took it completely differently that maybe they are having fertility issues of some sort. Including possibly "issues" like say that pesky condom getting in the way heh.

Edited by NikSac
missing word
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, NikSac said:

I actually took it completely differently that maybe they are having fertility issues of some sort. Including possibly natural "issue" like say that pesky condom getting in the way heh.

So, I'll say it: How many here wonder if the "birthday visit" is actually Jim Boob and J-Chelle attempting to find out why there has not been news of another Blessed Event as of yet? Hey, TLC -- want a ratings blockbuster? Find out if Triple D was smart enough to get his ass to the local Wal-Mart in Danger America and get some condoms. One has to believe that Jim Boob would be angrier over the use of non-headship-approved birth control than he would be over prescription painkillers or the use of a certain weed. After all, no baybees means no TLC money, doesn't it?

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Daddy Duggar asks when the next grandbaby is coming. Daughter smiles sweetly and delivers spiel about adoption, God's will etc, pretty much identical to what her parents have delivered in the past. Boob grits teeth and doesn't believe a word but can't argue because daughter is saying all the right words. And he can't call her out on her bullshit because that could mean that all the bullshit, including his own, would come tumbling down.

One has to wonder if the bullshit has already tumbled down and continues to do so. It's hard to imagine that the family was excited to see Joshley Madison again, for instance. These people don't really know each other. They've shown it over and over. This brings a whole new set of question about what they do all day; they don't appear to talk with each other, either.

• Love 5