Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

All of the promo pics are pretty weird but this one flat out disturbs me.

Jessa and her teeth looks like the Count on Sesame Street when he's throwing his head back in glee.  Or fake-gearing up to fang someone in the neck.

Wow- I have to come back and say that the photo is worse than I originally thought.  I am talking about the one of them all jumping up as in a moon bounce.  I would fire my photoshop editor.  

I opened the photo in PS.  Really bad editing.  Benjamin's fingers are cut off.  They did a horrible job of cutting out the pixels of Josiah behind JD and not to mention, they left the sweat stains. Jessica had major work to her face.  Not plastic - just retouching.  You can see the bad pixel job in so many places.  Maybe TLC is hiring one of the D's?  BTW, Spurgeon was the only one I could not find severely edited.  Imagine that.  

'Cuz he's got natural baby beauty!

Wow, Jana is utterly focused on that baby. Everyone else is looking at the camera, including Jessa, but Jana's eyes are glued to the Spurge.

My guess; he wasn't happy and Jana is the only person with the skills to cheer him out of the glums/tantrums.

• Love 2

The girls dress modestly -- did you know that?

Ok this is embarrassing to admit but my husband used to sometimes watch The Man Show with Adam-what's-his-name, and I'd watch with him. All I could think of when the girls were jumping in their modest dresses was the "girls jumping on trampolines" skit. I was wondering if any of their modest dresses flew up while they were filming <gasp!>.

(I'll show myself to the prayer closet now)

• Love 4

Ok this is embarrassing to admit but my husband used to sometimes watch The Man Show with Adam-what's-his-name, and I'd watch with him. All I could think of when the girls were jumping in their modest dresses was the "girls jumping on trampolines" skit. I was wondering if any of their modest dresses flew up while they were filming <gasp!>.

(I'll show myself to the prayer closet now)

Adam Corolla!

• Love 3

e1c7fe77115e2f9375a8fa11b77a4290.jpg?ito

mb56cea5c3d62254.02739652.jpg

The promos for the show are somewhat misleading because TLC makes it look like most of the Duggar herd will be in each episode but the show is essentially the Jill & Jessa parade of cuteness that TLC was hell-bent to make in the first place. Is Jill even in that picture? It looks like Jessa, Jana, Jinger and Joy-Anna, so where's Jill? It is her and Jessa's show, right?

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 8

What is it that they are healing from?  It can't be from mild over the clothes touching that they slept through, can it?  Or is it from the awful media whose attention they constantly seek?  

I think TLC intends it to be ambiguous. The point is to make us empathize with them, so we'll watch. Poor poor things -- they've struggled and they're so courageous! So they'll heal from whatever you, the individual viewer, think they need healing from -- the attentions of the sly one, the awful media's cruelty, or even their horribly constrained upbringing at the hand of lousy parents. Look at us! We're healing and moving on! It's an all-purpose come-on for viewers.

• Love 8

What no Bible? No cross necklaces? No hands folded together in prayer?

It's Duggars 2.0, now with much more wacky hijinks and 50% less Jesus!!!

Yawn.

And Jessa looks like she's about to crush her sister's head with her giant man hand.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 6

The promos for the show are somewhat misleading because TLC makes it look like most of the Duggar herd will be in each episode but the show is essentially the Jill & Jessa parade of cuteness that TLC was hell-bent to make in the first place. Is Jill even in that picture? It looks like Jessa, Jana, Jinger and Joy-Anna, so where's Jessa? It is her and Jessa's show, right?

This just enrages me.  "Jill and Jessa: Counting On."  Yet, there's no Jill.  But there is a SPURGE.  Why is there a Spurge?  If this show is about focusing on the healing of the girls, I'm not sure why the baby needs to be featured.  I mean, I know why, but it's ridiculous.

And Anna - is she even part of the show?  I sure didn't see her jumping for joy and rushing to adore the baby Spurge in the promo pictures.  Sickening.  This woman needs to heal as much as the sisters.  The fact that she is so completely stuck in this cluster makes me all kinds of sad.

Jana is way prettier than Jessa.  Just wanted to throw that out there, too.

• Love 9

This just enrages me.  "Jill and Jessa: Counting On."  Yet, there's no Jill.  But there is a SPURGE.  Why is there a Spurge?  If this show is about focusing on the healing of the girls, I'm not sure why the baby needs to be featured.  I mean, I know why, but it's ridiculous.

I'm glad you read through my mistake of asking "so where is Jessa" instead of correctly asking "where is Jill".

Edited by HumblePi

That top picture looks like it should be called Spurge and the girls.

And, once again, someone will have to take one for the team.   As much as I feel for Jana and hope she is stocking away this money, HER money, and will run away with it, I just can't watch this crap fest.

• Love 2

The promos for the show are somewhat misleading because TLC makes it look like most of the Duggar herd will be in each episode but the show is essentially the Jill & Jessa parade of cuteness that TLC was hell-bent to make in the first place. Is Jill even in that picture? It looks like Jessa, Jana, Jinger and Joy-Anna, so where's Jill? It is her and Jessa's show, right?

This picture sums up what I thought of Anna's performance. No doubt she has been hurt, but I think she pours it on for the camera with those wistful looks etc.

• Love 2

Do any of the adult Duggers get their own paychecks, or does the TLC money go into one account managed by JB and JChelle?

I have been asking that question for a LONG time!  JB will talk about just about anything else but that.  I would think any "child" over 18 would have to get their own paycheck but then again JShell and JimBoob could talk them into signing that check over for "rent and food."

• Love 1

I have been asking that question for a LONG time! JB will talk about just about anything else but that. I would think any "child" over 18 would have to get their own paycheck but then again JShell and JimBoob could talk them into signing that check over for "rent and food."

What does it take for someone to function as an agent? Can Jim Boob just declare himself such, and negotiate on behalf of the adult offspring (I.e., make all decisions) or would he have to be licensed or something? I don't know how any of this works. Would a network ever deal directly with the talent, or is there always an agent involved? Who actually receives payments from TLC? Michelle, as business manager (speculation). Would love to think the Duggarettes got to sign their own contracts and receive their own pay directly but I don't know what is typical, let alone in a patriarchy.

I want the parents totally out of the loop on this show. I want the kids to have extended exposure to other adults with no parents around. And I hope that Jill and Jessa, at least, no longer participate in confessing their rogue thoughts. I want everyone's brains to be entertaining new ideas and perspectives and emotions. And I want a unicorn and a million dollars and world peace.

• Love 8

I have been asking that question for a LONG time!  JB will talk about just about anything else but that.  I would think any "child" over 18 would have to get their own paycheck but then again JShell and JimBoob could talk them into signing that check over for "rent and food."

I find it hard to believe that this money goes anywhere other than "Duggar Enterprises" (JB's pocket). It's one of the main concepts behind Gothardism that the family works together under the "headship" who manages all those complicated money matters. And, while Jessa may be under Ben's "headship," I think that it is very possible that Ben is now under JB's "headship." Several of the articles that I have read about Gothardism mention adult sons who are frustrated because they remain under their father's "headship" for life.

• Love 8

I don't doubt for one second that money goes into Boob's LLC or whatever set-up he has to squirrel his assets away. He probably gives Jill and Jessa an allowance, and the other kids get squat. Jill and Jessa don't have the brains to negotiate their own contracts.

• Love 2

JB can hold the houses over the heads of Jill and Jessa. It was a smart move on behalf of Derrick to move their crap out of that house. Now, if they finally realize they don't owe JB anything and take the $. Jill and Jessa worked for JB for years as an unpaid cast member. Now Jessa needs to wise up, get out and make sure those contracts are in her name. I expect Jessa to figure this out, or at least Bin's family to reason with him.

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 2

This picture sums up what I thought of Anna's performance. No doubt she has been hurt, but I think she pours it on for the camera with those wistful looks etc.

I can't imagine how I would feel to know that my whole life imploded in less than six weeks. Hell, less than 24 hours, if what we all surmise is true about the fact that Joshley Madison and his oh-so-Christian parents LIED TO HER about what he did to five underage girls, four of which were his sisters.

Anna's not my favorite, but her pain is real. And she's never going to be allowed to see an actual licensed therapist or get any opportunity to make up her own mind about whether or not she wants to move forward with her marriage. It's been made abundantly clear to her that if she dares to defend herself/take the kids and go, the only family member she will have left (after Jim Boob spends his last dime to get the kids taken from her) will be her brother.

• Love 3

1916729_1870308786529007_887915384437030

Yikes.

duggar-girls-bulimia-temptation-sins-str

Um so I can't decide if this looks like three witches casting a spell on Jessa or some sort of Adoration of Jessa where they forgot to photoshop in a halo and the three girls have gifts of eyeliner, bronzer and mascara in tow.

In that tragic one, Jana and Jessa are unrecognizable. All that photoshopping and they can fix pit stains on the guys shirts?

Jinger - I'd wear that outfit. Must have a stylist, bc she tends to dress like 3 year old who dressed herself. Do what you gotta do to land a man, Jing.

Jana - maybe her introvert outlet and natural instinct is to forget everyone else and focus on The Baby - whatever baby. She's so used to scads of kids with neglectful mothers, her common sense and protectiveness kicks in. No wonder Michelle hates her. She has a natural propensity for children. If she wants her own, I hope she gets to escape with a decent man.

• Love 7

I can't imagine how I would feel to know that my whole life imploded in less than six weeks. Hell, less than 24 hours, if what we all surmise is true about the fact that Joshley Madison and his oh-so-Christian parents LIED TO HER about what he did to five underage girls, four of which were his sisters.

Anna's not my favorite, but her pain is real. And she's never going to be allowed to see an actual licensed therapist or get any opportunity to make up her own mind about whether or not she wants to move forward with her marriage. It's been made abundantly clear to her that if she dares to defend herself/take the kids and go, the only family member she will have left (after Jim Boob spends his last dime to get the kids taken from her) will be her brother.

Like I said, I believe her pain is real, but I think she laid it on a little thick in her talking heads on the specials.

• Love 4

You might get these.

In an extremely weird coincidence, about an hour ago I returned to my desk to find an IM from a coworker I barely know. I answered, saying, "I'm back." She replied, "Never mind, I already gave away the unicorn and the million dollars." WTF? I never even use that phrase. Today was a one-off.

• Love 5

Agree. Anna has definitely been coached and sadly, by the lamest, most inept production team in TV today. If she hadn't been, she'd be showing a "joyful countenance" to the world, as she has been trained. 

• Love 4

I don't doubt for one second that money goes into Boob's LLC or whatever set-up he has to squirrel his assets away. He probably gives Jill and Jessa an allowance, and the other kids get squat. Jill and Jessa don't have the brains to negotiate their own contracts.

Exactly right. These kids basically know only what Boob's told them over the years. Yes, there are probably a few "topics" that they know a little more than he himself would expect. After all they did go to Big Sandy every year and I'm sure there were discussions among both girls and boys at various times and on various issues. But finances and business and everything to do with money? Nope, they're babes in the wood in that area. I'd be shocked if any of the 18+ kids had unfettered access to one red cent of their own money. I think Boob even controls things for the married couples - under the guise of it being easier for all, Daddy will just take care of everything. I'm guessing Boob funnels to them only what he thinks they need/should have.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

I'm super curious. Does anyone know the actual answer to this question? I mean, has Jim Bob or Michelle actually been asked this question and refused to answer? Have any of the adult children been asked?

• Love 1

I'm super curious. Does anyone know the actual answer to this question? I mean, has Jim Bob or Michelle actually been asked this question and refused to answer? Have any of the adult children been asked?

Not that I'm aware of, no.

• Love 3

What does it take for someone to function as an agent? Can Jim Boob just declare himself such, and negotiate on behalf of the adult offspring (I.e., make all decisions) or would he have to be licensed or something? I don't know how any of this works. Would a network ever deal directly with the talent, or is there always an agent involved? Who actually receives payments from TLC? Michelle, as business manager (speculation). Would love to think the Duggarettes got to sign their own contracts and receive their own pay directly but I don't know what is typical, let alone in a patriarchy.

I want the parents totally out of the loop on this show. I want the kids to have extended exposure to other adults with no parents around. And I hope that Jill and Jessa, at least, no longer participate in confessing their rogue thoughts. I want everyone's brains to be entertaining new ideas and perspectives and emotions. And I want a unicorn and a million dollars and world peace.

Do you have a war room?. Go and pray and see what God lays in your heart. I would think a unicorn is a blessing worthy of catching. Maybe TLC will give you a call and help with the $$. And Jill seems to be working on the world peace thing, so maybe she can be your prayer partner.

• Love 5

For a lot of these situations and for tax shelters, they set up an LLC or business, TLC or whoever pays the business, and the business pays its employees ie each individual. So if TLC pays a flat fee to Duggar Enterprises or whatever for their services (their services is filming their family/employees), then the company (aka CEO Jim Bob) pays his employees whatever he wants.

In a normal business, say accounting, if your accountant is billed at $100 per hour, the client pays $100 to the company, who takes out profit, overhead, benefits, etc - and the accountant would get paid maybe $20. Now factor in housing, cars, jimbob's cheapness, etc, those kids basically get nothing from the show except living expenses. The adults all do have other 'jobs' - books, speaking, appearances, ministry offerings, plus the construction, piloting, lobbying, car lots, and I suspect a bunch of small endorsements from individual stores - oh look, Jess is eating chick fil a again and showing Suprgey in a onesie from some baby store.

• Love 4

Like all of you, I am curious if there are separate contracts. I thought I remembered reading a post or a snippet of an article mentioning that some of the Duggar contracts were running out.

And weren't there pictures, right before Josh Scandal #1, of Ben & Jessa at TLC corporate? I wonder if at least the marrieds have separate pay checks. Obviously everyone over 18 is signing something, but it doesn't mean they're getting their own checks.

How have they been able to hide this? Business tax info is public, right?

Sew Sumi? Koka?

Like all of you, I am curious if there are separate contracts. I thought I remembered reading a post or a snippet of an article mentioning that some of the Duggar contracts were running out.

And weren't there pictures, right before Josh Scandal #1, of Ben & Jessa at TLC corporate? I wonder if at least the marrieds have separate pay checks. Obviously everyone over 18 is signing something, but it doesn't mean they're getting their own checks.

How have they been able to hide this? Business tax info is public, right?

Sew Sumi? Koka?

This discussion would be best continued in the Duggars and Their World topic. Thanks!

• Love 1

This is to PROVE that Jill is REALLY a missionary who can't come home on a silly whim of a photoshoot. She has better things to do, like comb vermin out of Derick's beard. 

Ha, ha. You'd think TLC would hand the Dulls plane tickets and tell them to get to the studio on time if they want a TV show--missioning be damned. Good luck getting Dreck camera ready for a TV show, however. 

• Love 1

War Room:

I find it humorous that fundies like to paint themselves as courageous Holy War Soldiers and Martyrs.

Memo to fundies: get over yourselves. THERE IS NO HOLY WAR. We unbelievers are happy to leave you to your ignorance and delusions of grandeur. We unbelievers have neither the desire nor means to lead you in a March to hell.

Something tells me the war metaphor is one of the engines that keeps the whole thing going. I expect it may tap into joiner instincts even more powerfully than the "join us or you're going to hell" stuff, really. If they didn't keep telling people they were integral parts of a huge and vitally important crusade, and surrounded by enemies, I'll bet there'd be a lot more and a lot quicker defections than there are now. It's obvious how much the war metaphor appeals to the Duggar kids, for instance.

• Love 11

Two things ...

1. Warroom.  Well, now I have a new name for my bathroom, thank you very much Duggars/fundies.  These people are, in general, all about the war metaphor.  Their faith is a war.  Football is a war.  Politics is a war.  I'd love for one of them to actually go serve in a real shooting war, just so they can see how hyperbolic they really are.

2.  Can we talk about how poorly composed this picture is a little more?

2qwd36d.png

Seriously, who the hell shot this and who the hell okay'ed it for release?  It's all so random.  It's like a real-life picture of something that a 3rd grader drew.  I don't understand why everyone is on a trampoline but yet Jessa (who is the only one who stands out to me due to her striking resembles to Denise Richards) is in the corner of the foreground acting like Rafiki.  Seriously, my knowledge of the technical aspects of the visual arts is limited to an intro-level college class I may or may not have attended, but even I know that this is beyond a hot mess.  

ETA:  I just noticed that Pit Stains back there seemingly has a second pair of legs growing from his spine, and that pair of legs prefers a lighter shade of khaki.  Also, someone please tell them people that you don't wear black socks with tan pants and tan shoes.  God, so freaking basic.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 15

I don't now what's going on with Jessa's face, but she looks so different. Not just that she's an adult and her face has either gotten thinner or filled out, but everything looks different.

They trowel on the makeup, and you can do a lot with contouring, filters, but her eyes look bigger, cheek bones fuller and chin a lot pointier, plus she looks like she's aged 10 years. Girl looks 35. A good 35, but more than 10 years older than she is.

• Love 3

I wonder if they will address the accusations against Jill and Derrick regarding whether they are real, approved missionaries. So far we have not seen them doing anything that would be considered real work.

• Love 3

ETA: I just noticed that Pit Stains back there seemingly has a second pair of legs growing from his spine, and that pair of legs prefers a lighter shade of khaki. Also, someone please tell them people that you don't wear black socks with tan pants and tan shoes. God, so freaking basic.

Ms. Gotta Pee aka Ms. Modest holding her dress down has some legs growing out of her side too. I don't think you need much expertise in visual arts to know this pic is a mess.

• Love 4

Ms. Gotta Pee aka Ms. Modest holding her dress down has some legs growing out of her side too. I don't think you need much expertise in visual arts to know this pic is a mess.

Who is even behind pit stains? It couldn't have been worse if they tried.

• Love 4

I wonder if they will address the accusations against Jill and Derrick regarding whether they are real, approved missionaries. So far we have not seen them doing anything that would be considered real work.

Agree. Skyping the family and getting tutored in Spanish is not going to cut it. What most viewers will want to see - the donors especially - is what these so-called missionaries are actually DOING in Central America? Their donation $$ at work, so to speak. And I don't believe Derrick's bizarre religious pantomime and interpretative dance is going to count either. The donations are going strictly for the Dullards' living and travel expenses, IMO, but at some point TLC may have to invent something "missionary-ish" and show them doing it. Although personally I think they'll go down the "ignoring-it-all-together" road before they stoop that far. TLC doesn't believe the leg-humpers will notice that Jill & Derrick are basically hiding out from life in Central America, and they might be right.

• Love 3

And I don't believe Derrick's bizarre religious pantomime and interpretative dance is going to count either. The donations are going strictly for the Dullards' living and travel expenses, IMO, but at some point TLC may have to invent something "missionary-ish" and show them doing it.

Hahaha I do wonder if they will share his inspiring dance performances. Ah the comedy potential. Maybe they'll show Jill holding some babies and painting toenails. Or for that matter Derick too, we know he also does toenails. Or maybe this will be the mysterious Jill and Jessa show that only features Jessa.

• Love 2

Bolding mine

Agree. Skyping the family and getting tutored in Spanish is not going to cut it. What most viewers will want to see - the donors especially - is what these so-called missionaries are actually DOING in Central America? Their donation $$ at work, so to speak. And I don't believe Derrick's bizarre religious pantomime and interpretative dance is going to count either. The donations are going strictly for the Dullards' living and travel expenses, IMO, but at some point TLC may have to invent something "missionary-ish" and show them doing it. Although personally I think they'll go down the "ignoring-it-all-together" road before they stoop that far. TLC doesn't believe the leg-humpers will notice that Jill & Derrick are basically hiding out from life in Central America, and they might be right.

But, aren't there TLC cameras with them in Central America?

I assumed they'd be part of anything that TLC chose to foist upon the viewing public.

• Love 1