Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

On the Avengers thread, there are a number of comments about what Chloe Bennett said about wishing there was a crossover from Marvel tv to Marvel movies and that the reason it isn't happening (according to those comments) is because it's a crap show that no one cares about.  My UO is that I love SHIELD.  I gave up on it early in the first season and my husband and son insisted that I start watching it again on Netflix.  Now, it's must see tv for me. I don't even mind Daisy, although, they do tend to focus on her too much at times.  When Hunter and Bobbi left, I was sad (but, happy to hear that they're getting a spin off) and when I heard that someone was going to die in the season finale, I thought "No!  I don't want to lose any of them!".  I know the show's not perfect--I understand some of the complaints, but I don't think it's a crap show.

And speaking of characters people are tired of, are people getting sick of Tom Keane in The Blacklist?  Because I still enjoy his character.

• Love 7

My UO is I think PBS should do another version of "Frontier House."  I recently re-watched the series on YouTube.  The show was made in 2001; and back then social media wasn't what it is now and no one had smart phones.  I just wonder if today, it will be more difficult for people to live as they did in the 1880's, than it was in 2001.

• Love 8

I suppose it depends who would be living in the 1880s. If you grew with internet, it might be impossible. 

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

The things people notice and find distracting on tv intrigue me because in my opinion it is usually small details that I usually barely notice or don't register at all until someone points it out.

You mean like spending 15 pages arguing how long it would take Abbie's hair to get curly again?

• Love 5

I like SHIELD too. I tend to avoid the forum because there's too much bashing of the show and Daisy. And I mostly avoided the Agent Carter forum because too many comments there went something like, "This show is 80 billion times better than SHIELD, I can't believe that suckfest gets better ratings and promotion." 

When Hunter and Bobbi left, I was sad (but, happy to hear that they're getting a spin off)

The spinoff isn't happening. Not sure what that means for Bobbi and Hunter.

• Love 5
(edited)

The spinoff isn't happening. Not sure what that means for Bobbi and Hunter.

No!  I hadn't heard that.  Well, maybe we'll see them again from time to time, if bringing them back permanently isn't a possibility.

Edited by Shannon L.
50 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I suppose it depends who would be living in the 1880s. If you grew with internet, it might be impossible. 

In the original show, they had three families.  One family with four children (two of them teen aged girls); one family with two children ( think both of the children were "tweens") and a father and son, the father left when the son's fiance arrived; they had a frontier wedding and the son and his wife finished the remaining time together, I think the entire "experiment" took five months.  So I wonder how teenagers today would fare.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

In the original show, they had three families.  One family with four children (two of them teen aged girls); one family with two children ( think both of the children were "tweens") and a father and son, the father left when the son's fiance arrived; they had a frontier wedding and the son and his wife finished the remaining time together, I think the entire "experiment" took five months.  So I wonder how teenagers today would fare.

PBS actually did several of these.  The last one was Texas Ranch House which did not end well.  There were teenagers on that, and it was well into the laptop era, if not cell phones.  I don't think PBS is looking to repeat the experiments.

The BBC did several also.  They had one set in Edwardian time period (Manor House?) where they couldn't get volunteers to be scullery maids and make it more than a week.

• Love 2

I don't hate Fred Armisen or Kristen Wiig. I also don't sigh and groan every time they are on SNL.

I am with you. I also like the The Californian's SNL sketches. Also, Kristen Wiig's Lawrence Welk Dooneese character with the tiny hands is one of my favorite characters.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

No!  I hadn't heard that.  Well, maybe we'll see them again from time to time, if bringing them back (Bobbi and Hunter of Agents of SHIELD) permanently isn't a possibility.

I am thinking with the time change the writing is on the wall ABC TV doesn't care about the grand Disney tie in with one of the biggest movie franchises in history anymore and next season will be the last in order to turn that hour over to another Shondaland clone show

50 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I don't like the woman who is wearing the Chewbacca mask.  Her laugh is not genuine.  It is forced to the max!  It isn't amusing at all.  

I think her laugh sounds hideous and I wouldn't want small kids to see her video because they might have nightmares.  She is not funny and now she gets rewarded with gift certificates from Kohl's.  Ugh.

Which brings me to another UO:  I hate people posting stuff on Youtube.  I am sick of the TMI culture we have now.

• Love 10
(edited)

She is not funny and now she gets rewarded with gift certificates from Kohl's.  Ugh.

She was on the Late Late Show (Corden's) last night. She got to meet JJ Abrams and she was over the moon. "Chewie" (Peter Mayhew) hooked her up with Star Wars Con tickets and a meet-and-greet. Her laugh seemed genuine and she seems like a lot of fun. She originally just posted the video for her friends. She was stunned at what happened.

One never knows what will go viral.

She was absolutely thrilled and is obviously a huge Star Wars fan. Her skit/interview on Corden made me smile.

UO:  I hate people posting stuff on Youtube.

Isn't that the original purpose of YouTube?

Edited by kili
  • Love 14

In the recent weeks I've watched Person of Interest. I watched a few episodes years ago but quit quite quickly, but was always intrigued about what I read online so I found an article that listed episodes you could skip and still follow the story, so I'm up to season 4 episode 10 now. Anyway. I don't really know what's unpopular or not, but James Caviezel is lucky he's on an interesting show because my god is he a boring actor. I haven't seen him in anything else though, so maybe it's a choice very different to his past characters, but it mostly seem like sleep-acting to me. Do people love him? He's handsome, but definitely the most boring character.

It also took me forever and a day to warm to Shaw. Quite like her now, but I miss Carter a lot (not that one should affect the other). Love Root (and Amy Acker) though, but I think that's an unpopular in the Unpopular Opinion thread if I'm understanding it right. Haven't visited the PoI forum yet. 

• Love 2

I agree with much of what Samantha Bee says and enjoy her show. She tends to veer into a condescending delivery often though, and it tends to undermine her (largely) valid points. She isn't like that in the interviews and panels though, so it must be a conscious choice. I don't know why though. 

2 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

The original video was not posted on YouTube, it was on Facebook Live, and was just pointed towards her friends.

I hate Facebook, too.

Get off my lawn!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, joelene said:

Love Root (and Amy Acker) though, but I think that's an unpopular in the Unpopular Opinion thread if I'm understanding it right. Haven't visited the PoI forum yet. 

Root is extremely popular with the people Root is popular with, and everyone else has pretty much stopped watching, so it's a popular opinion in the POI forum.

• Love 3

I am catching up with Person of Interest (and mostly loving it), so my unpopular opinion is that I am on the fence about Root. I like Amy Acker but the scenes where Root gets guidance from the Machine and shoots the bad guys through walls with surgical accuracy are really over the top and silly. Making Root both an extremely skilled assassin and an extremely skilled hacker is also just too much.

At first I also didn't think much about Jim Caviezel's acting but the more I watch the more I appreciate it.

• Love 3
On 5/19/2016 at 9:24 AM, JaggedLilPill said:

Hehe. Just goes to show you how time changes everything. When JOA first started, I thought Adam Rove was so sweet and I rooted for him and Joan to get together. I thought the "Jane" thing was adorable and endearing. I was heartbroken when they broke up.

Now? Ugh, no. Every time he says Jane, I want her to turn around and tell him her fucking name is Joan. Like, seriously. I also wish Joan would have smacked him when his response to her very valid point of not wanting their (and HER) first time to be in a truck was, "It's a camper." Really, dude? STFU. 

I went the other way, it annoyed me a decade ago but when I married into a culture where first names were for other people and using a name like Jane in this case is a signal to others that you are a couple as much as a ring on the proper finger of the proper hand.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm in the middle of a Veronica Mars rewatch, and I have to throw Duncan Kane in here.  Did he have as much chemistry with Veronica as Logan did?  No, but I don't think he was the block of wood that he was usually accused of being.  I found him very charming in the role, but I absolutely think the character got the short shrift when it came to the writing in service of a Logan/Veronica pairing.

And because I can't read this thread without reading it's sister thread, I have another one. I hate the way Britta Perry was treated in universe on Community, and I got the sense that many fans did not like her. I liked her in the first season, but hated how she became "the worst." Gillian Jacobs did a great job with goofy Britta, but I missed the smart, sardonic woman from season one who was believably flawed.

Preach it sister!  I always loved Britta and Gillian Jacobs and I hate what they did to Britta, especially because I feel like they did it to prop up Annie (who I hated).

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 5

I liked Britta too. I loved how she'd wear something like a squirrel suit on Halloween instead of wearing a sexy "insert something here" costume.

I loved Cami on The Originals. I miss her real bad. She was the voice of reason on that show.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, joelene said:

Anyway. I don't really know what's unpopular or not, but James Caviezel is lucky he's on an interesting show because my god is he a boring actor. I haven't seen him in anything else though, so maybe it's a choice very different to his past characters, but it mostly seem like sleep-acting to me. Do people love him? He's handsome, but definitely the most boring character.

I didn't even know this show was still on.

I think JC is tired of doing the show IMO.  If you really want to freak out, watch him in "Deja Vu" with Denzel Washington; he scared the shit out of me in that movie and also "High Crimes," too.

• Love 4

Phoebe Halliwell! Granted, mostly only for the first 3-4 seasons, but even after that I could never bring myself to hate her quite as much as pretty much every other Charmed viewer did. I totally understand why many disliked her, but she was so full of energy, passion, optimism, humor and joy that I just found myself enjoying and even rooting for her way more than I probably should have. I'm also in the minority who thought Alyssa Milano did a surprisingly good job with the role, and particularly the comedic material. The very popular Piper and her relentless complaining, whining, snapping and negativity actually bugged me a lot more, but we've already established that I have strange taste :) 

• Love 4

I loved Cami on The Originals. I miss her real bad. She was the voice of reason on that show.

I miss Cami too, with her and my other favorite character Davina gone I have very little interest in watching the show anymore. 

I like Will Halstead on Chicago Med. Though that might be because I like the actor.

• Love 1

I judge that this is a highly unpopular opinion from reading the Jeopardy thread, but I don't really care how the contestants choose their clues. It seems most would rather them go from lowest to highest, even though they would tolerate a highest to lowest. They better not skip around though. (shrugs)

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I judge that this is a highly unpopular opinion from reading the Jeopardy thread, but I don't really care how the contestants choose their clues. It seems most would rather them go from lowest to highest, even though they would tolerate a highest to lowest. They better not skip around though. (shrugs)

I wouldn't care so much, except choosing the high money clues before getting a sense of the category often results in a lot of wrong answers/no answers, and that tends to slow the game down.  And slower games mean the contestants don't get to all the clues.

This one is so unpopular that I dare not express it on the relevant thread: I liked Juliette before she became an evil hexenbeist, and I'm fine with her going back to not being one.  Heck, I didn't even mind Eve.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I wouldn't care so much, except choosing the high money clues before getting a sense of the category often results in a lot of wrong answers/no answers, and that tends to slow the game down.  And slower games mean the contestants don't get to all the clues.

This one is so unpopular that I dare not express it on the relevant thread: I liked Juliette before she became an evil hexenbeist, and I'm fine with her going back to not being one.  Heck, I didn't even mind Eve.

In my opinion, I don't think the lowest valued clue is any harder than the highest valued clue. In most cases, there is no rhyme or reason on how clues are arranged with difficulty in mind. So, how they choose doesn't matter to me.

I think Tulloch/Juliette/Eve is a meh actress but not enough to offend me. I found all the rabid Juliette hate more annoying because it went on and on. But I hate the Eve character to the core.

(edited)
On 8/24/2015 at 0:39 PM, Sheenieb said:

Can we talk about Skyler White, though? I binged watched Breaking Bad on Netflix last year, and considering all the shit she got, I expected her to be this harridan, but I didn't see that at all.  Walt put their family in an impossible, shitty, situation.  What was she supposed to do? Be happy that her husband is a meth cook? Let it slide that he's been lying to them for months? It's not as if she were a Carmela Soprano type.  Someone who enjoyed the perks of her husband's criminal activities.  I don't know what she did specifically to garner all this vitriol.

My feelings of Skyler and Walter changed from the start of the series to the end of the series.

At the start I was very sympathetic toward Walter and did not like Skyler at all.  Mainly because I thought there were instances where she came off and somewhat insensitive to his fear of his cancer.  And she made it about her rather than about him. Also her involvement with that awful Ted Beneke.

But as the show went on, I began to like them both especially when they became a real team.

And then Walter began to become very problematic and my new found liking of Skyler faltered when she began to suggest that Walter needed to kill Jessie.

And finally  Walter became irredeemable so that by the time the show ended I was not Team Walter at all (but still i liked him better than the Neo-Nazis).  However I had come to really like Skyler and am glad she stood up to him.

Never warmed to Marie, though.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3

I'll one up you on the Juliette UO,  I didn't think the Hawks on Legends of Tomorrow were all that bad.  Not great, but not bad enough for the rabid hate either.

• Love 2

In my opinion, I don't think the lowest valued clue is any harder than the highest valued clue. In most cases, there is no rhyme or reason on how clues are arranged with difficulty in mind. So, how they choose doesn't matter to me.

Just a clarification (not saying you're wrong in any way): sometimes there's a progression in the category, though, and going for the highest valued clue first means the contestants don't understand what the category is about, which means wrong answers/stumpers and slower games.  Personally, as long as they get to all the clues, I don't care, but lately they've been leaving lots of stuff on the board, even whole categories.  Which does bother me, because how can I prove I'm smarter than them if they don't get to all the clues?

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I think Tulloch/Juliette/Eve is a meh actress but not enough to offend me. I found all the rabid Juliette hate more annoying because it went on and on. But I hate the Eve character to the core.

I only got through about two seasons of the show, but I'm still stumped as to how the lead (too lazy to look it up) was considered a good actor.  But then, it was very reminiscent of the backlash towards the Laurel actress from Arrow, all the while praising the walking block of wood that is Stephen Amell. 

I fully acknowledge there are weak female actors, but they commonly work alongside weak male actors, which feels ignored. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I only got through about two seasons of the show, but I'm still stumped as to how the lead (too lazy to look it up) was considered a good actor.

Yeah, Juliette was bad but he's terrible too. I quit watching when I realized I was just watching for Monroe and his girlfriend (forgot her name) and that just wasn't enough reason to keep watching.

3 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I only got through about two seasons of the show, but I'm still stumped as to how the lead (too lazy to look it up) was considered a good actor.  But then, it was very reminiscent of the backlash towards the Laurel actress from Arrow, all the while praising the walking block of wood that is Stephen Amell. 

I fully acknowledge there are weak female actors, but they commonly work alongside weak male actors, which feels ignored. 

I agree that the actor who plays Nick sucked the first and second seasons. I feel that he has gotten immensely better though. Stephen Amell not so much.

(edited)

I didn't think the Hawks on Legends of Tomorrow were all that bad.  Not great, but not bad enough for the rabid hate either.

I liked the Hawks on Legends of Tomorrow. My UO is that I never was a fan of Sara Lance. The actress is great at the stunts, but I find her acting does not work for me. I am also, not a fan of Laurel, which isn't an UO, but I am not a fan of Felicity on Arrow. I do not hate her, but I do not like her either. I do not find everything the character or actress does is awesome. 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 4

I love Jase Corso on Dark Matter.  People really seem to hate the actor, Marc Bendavid, and the character.  I don't get why.

I will echo your sentiment and add that I like Five as well. I think Two is really the only character that does not work for me.

I like Winn on Supergirl. I do think part of that is that I have enjoyed Jeremy Jordan onstage, so it carries over for me.

• Love 1

I don't hate Chummy on Call the Midwife but I find myself glad Miranda Hart has been unavailable this past season. Hart has one character she plays no matter what in every show or movie, and I've seen it enough times for her shtick to become really annoying. Her appearances aren't bad things, but I'm glad they're rare.

• Love 4