Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I liked Only Murders in The Building in S1.  But it it one of those shows I feel gets more accolades than it should.  I don't mind Selena Gomez, she's ok, but they've made her such a monotone sad sack.  But it is Steve Martin and especially Martin Short that make the show so darned enjoyable.

I am watching season 2 and ,imo, this season would have benefited from having all the episodes drop at once instead of the traditional weekly roll out.  It is feeling like a bit of a slog. The mystery feels meandery so stuff that happened in the early eps from June feel like they happened so long ago, LOL. And I feel like I've forgotten some key stuff.

That said Martin Short is the MVP, he is consistently the funniest person no matter the scene. 

I watched season one months after it dropped so I watched it in one weekend.  This season I watch a new episode when I get around to it. 

I don't find this season as engaging as last season.  It's been renewed for a third season so let's hope this is just a sophomore slump.

And I agree it's not worthy of all the praise that is heaped on it.  Except Steve Martin and Martin Short.  They are both awesome.

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'm enjoying S2 but there are so many plot threads I don't know how it can all be wrapped up by the end of the season.  Steve Martin and Martin Short are treasures.

My son and I watched the first season together and enjoyed it. However, we've only seen the first episode of season two because he cant' stand Amy Schumer and doesn't want to keep watching it if she's got a big part.  Can you tell me if she in it very much? 

I might keep watching myself, but, even though I enjoyed the first season, I didn't enjoy it enough to care how long it takes me to get back to season two.  I found that season one took a three or four episodes to get interesting, and after the first episode of this season, I got the same feeling.

13 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

However, we've only seen the first episode of season two because he cant' stand Amy Schumer and doesn't want to keep watching it if she's got a big part.  Can you tell me if she in it very much? 

She is not.  Of course she may turn out to be the killer. 🤷‍♀️

• Useful 1

I actually enjoy this season more than last.  I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion but even though I love a mystery and the mysteries on the show have been decent, what I really love is hanging out with the three of them.  And that aspect gets better the more they work together.

• Like 2
On 7/6/2022 at 11:48 AM, Shannon L. said:

The only thing that has always set my teeth on edge isn't a new thing--it's been around from the beginning of time (samwich  ::shudder::)

I never heard "samwhich" before Rachel Ray got her show on Food Network.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

Actually I think it's "sammich"!  

I never knew speaking in proto baby talk would garner so much success!!

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure I have always said samwich now that I think about it and I'm about to be 47.

I'm pretty obsessed with It's Only Murders in the Building and I find Gomez a highlight. I have not a lot of patience for Martin Short but his brand of humor works here. I think the three of them bounce off each other very well. 

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

I'm pretty obsessed with It's Only Murders in the Building and I find Gomez a highlight. I have not a lot of patience for Martin Short but his brand of humor works here. I think the three of them bounce off each other very well. 

That's good to know, because I've been considering watching, once I get Hulu which I'm considering and the main pull for me was Gomez. I've always liked her. Also love Steve Martin but have close to zero patience for Martin Short as himself. I was hoping he was more tolerable in this because he's playing a character. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

That's good to know, because I've been considering watching, once I get Hulu which I'm considering and the main pull for me was Gomez. I've always liked her. Also love Steve Martin but have close to zero patience for Martin Short as himself. I was hoping he was more tolerable in this because he's playing a character. 

Definitely try it. I'm actually enjoying this season more than the last one as I think the big three have really found a groove together. Short is the more zany of them, Gomez and Martin are the straight men. She gets a lot of criticism for her rather flat affect but I think it works as she balances between quiet exasperation and warming up to them. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

^ This.  It works for the show to have Oliver bouncing off the walls and Mabel almost emotionless with poor Charles as the straight man in the middle.  A very unlikely friendship.  I don't watch anything else that could be called a comedy, I dislike sitcoms, but I find these characters and the kooky people in the building to be charming.

• Like 2

Tobias Menzies was considerably better as Prince Philip than Matt Smith in "The Crown" IMO. I was really happy he got that surprise Emmy for it, it seemed like his great performance would not be acknowledged there for a long time. 

That said, the series lucked out with all the pandemic shutdowns at the 2021 Emmys. Not everything needed to be awarded coughGillianAndersoncough. 

"Mozart in the Jungle" is one of the best things Amazon Prime has ever done, even though barely anyone knows it LOL. Gael Garcia Bernal really shows what a teeny tiny acting powerhouse he is, it's startling what a dominant force he is at times. 

In Bridgerton series two, IMO Charitra Chandran is a better actor than Simone Ashley. Ashley is right for the role of Kate, but there were moments were it was obvious that she's a bit hesitant and inexperienced. She was usually strongest when around Jonathan Bailey, who has a lot of experience and knows how to bring out the best out of screen partners. I think Chandran being so good might have contributed to the writers dwelling too much on Edwina and the blasted love triangle, because no matter how crap the writing, she always delivered.

Edited by katha
  • Love 2
On 8/11/2022 at 10:29 AM, Gharlane said:

I find this fascinating.  Aside from myself, very few family members and the occasional person on tv or in my life, I always hear it.  So much so, that when I hear "saNDwich", if I'm with someone I always remark on it.  "My God, they pronounced the 'n' and 'd'".

• Sad 2
  • LOL 1

IMO- Friends. To each one's own but before too long even Phoebe,  who was once the only likable regular , morphed into a mean and entitled pod person  like the rest of them so I gave up and refuse to watch another second of it in reruns. Oh, but there's constant talks of reunions, blah blah blah!

• Love 8

I have seen Seinfeld, and I thought it was fine but I do think it's overrated.  On the same track, I loathe Curb Your Enthusiasm with the white hot intensity of a thousand bursting suns. I have tried to watch it with an open mind twice, and ended up so irrationally angry I couldn't finish the episodes. So yeah, that one isn't for me. Maybe I just happened to catch the two most aggravating episodes. But that would be my number one most overrated show.

• Love 4

Just based on shows that multiple people really hyped to me in person, and I suffered through an entire season without ever understanding the appeal--Community and Outlander. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

IMO- Friends. To each one's own but before too long even Phoebe,  who was once the only likable regular , morphed into a mean and entitled pod person  like the rest of them so I gave up and refuse to watch another second of it in reruns. Oh, but there's constant talks of reunions, blah blah blah!

If I'm keeping it real, Friends inspired the thread. lol It's such a beloved show, I didn't want to be the first to mention it, so thank you! I tried watching random episodes before, couldn't get into it. Then I thought maybe if I watched the shows in order I'd get its appeal, and I just find it okay. I'm several episodes into season 2, and I googled if it gets better. Many people said the best seasons were 1-3, so I don't  know if I'll ever fall in love with the show. It's not bad. It's better than a lot of stuff out there. I just don't find the characters the most compelling or the lines that hysterically funny. It's something to watch when you've already watched your favorite shows imo. 

5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

In no particular order

1. The Bachelor/Bachelortte
  2. Survivor
  3. Big Brother
  4. Two And A Half Men
  5. 2 Broke Girls
  6. Th Neighborhood
  7. Cougartown

I'll think on it more, and report back, lol.

For the longest time I never understood the appeal for the Bachelor/Bachelorette. One time I got really bored and decided to give it a shot. I watched a few seasons, got into the gossip, and then got bored. It's all the same stuff each season with different people. Maybe someday I'll get into it again, but I think I just had somewhat of a fling with the show, haha. 

4 hours ago, partofme said:

The Office

Frasier

Game of Thrones

Keeping up with the Kardashians

ER

The Sopranos

Some people think I'd be into the Kardashians as a reality TV fan, but honestly, I feel like I keep up with the Kardashians whether I want to or not. They're so many of them, and they're everywhere. It's not like Housewives where you watch them for an hour on week on Bravo. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm several episodes into season 2, and I googled if it gets better. Many people said the best seasons were 1-3, so I don't  know if I'll ever fall in love with the show.

I'm not that crazy about seasons 2 and 3 but I hate Ross and Rachel.  My favorites are 5, 6, 7, 9 and 4.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

When I saw the thread's title my first thought was Seinfeld and I see that I am not alone.  I watched it when it originally aired and in syndication because it was on right before my local 6 o'clock news.  I am someone who has rewatched just about everything on DVD or by streaming and I have not once wanted to do Seinfeld.  It was funny (although I found in funnier then than I would now) but I wouldn't consider it a classic or one of the best.  

I like Friends.  I don't think the show itself is overrated since I don't ever see it on any greatest lists but I think the reunion was overrated.  They were paid a lot of money to reminisce about the show they starred on.  I used to watch countless casts of TV shows do that on Larry King Live.

11 hours ago, Zella said:

Just based on shows that multiple people really hyped to me in person, and I suffered through an entire season without ever understanding the appeal--Community and Outlander. 

I didn't watch either one of these shows but having read fan's comments about them I can't imagine they are that good.

I watched This is Us but I don't think it deserved all the hype we heard every week.  This episode will break your heart.  This episode will be the biggest tearjerker yet.  During it's first season (I got caught up on Hulu after the second season started) I was talking to a woman I knew and right in the middle of our conversation about something else she says "do you watch TIU.  You have to watch TIU".  Even after I started watching it I have never been compelled to tell someone they need to watch TIU.  

Ellen the talk show.  Even before we found out she wasn't as nice as she appeared I didn't get the appeal of her show.  

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Friends, Seinfeld, and Mad Men.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

I watched the entire series and I felt like I should like it but I didn't.  

14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Game of Thrones even before it angered most of its audience. 

I have seen forums here not specific to GOT become all about GOT.  I never watched an episode and have no desire to watch an episode.

15 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The Sopranos.  The best thing about it was its opening credits. I watched it all (or most of it) and it bored me.

I fell for the hype when it aired on HBO.  Watched it all the way through.  Thought my cable went out at the end of the last episode.  Hated the ending. Did a rewatch about ten years ago and just couldn't take the violence.  I will never watch it again.  But yeah the opening credits will always be great. Loved the Super Bowl commercial this year. 

• Love 1

I find zombies to be a bottom tier antagonist, so my pick is The Walking Dead.  And before anyone corrects me to say that the zombies are not the real antagonist or villain on the show, I do not care.  I do not care how villainous Jeffrey Dean Morgan's Negan was or how the show is really about people trying their best in a dystopian America or any other argument.  Zombies suck as your main antagonist.  They are all brute force with no intelligence and are quite frankly boring to watch.  I want my villain to have something that entertains me while also horrifying me.  Zombies are a cheap device deployed by writers to quickly write off characters.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I find zombies to be a bottom tier antagonist, so my pick is The Walking Dead.  And before anyone corrects me to say that the zombies are not the real antagonist or villain on the show, I do not care.  I do not care how villainous Jeffrey Dean Morgan's Negan was or how the show is really about people trying their best in a dystopian America or any other argument.  Zombies suck as your main antagonist.  They are all brute force with no intelligence and are quite frankly boring to watch.  I want my villain to have something that entertains me while also horrifying me.  Zombies are a cheap device deployed by writers to quickly write off characters.  

I watched about 3.5 seasons before noping out--and to be fair, I did really enjoy the first season--but one of my biggest qualms is I have no idea how any self-respecting person follows Rick on a burger run, let alone during a zombie apocalypse. He was a terrible leader, and he's propped up as essential to their survival. No. NO. I'd rather the zombies eat me than put him in charge. 

• Love 4

Friends, Dallas, Gunsmoke, Leave it to Beaver, Bachelor/Bachelorette, Amer Idol, Smallville

Whoever said MASH w/o watching one episode, really needs to watch the show and write a paper on its influence in tv and society. Yes, the later years could be too preachy and all abt Hawkeye, but it also shown a light on a tiny bit of what those professionals had to go through.  And it didn’t shy away from death or drama just for comedy’s sake. I believe the series finale is still the highest watched/rated episodic tv, even aft all these years.  (A Super Bowl game is the highest rated program of all time)

I don’t believe GoT is overrated just because of the stupid ending.  Before S08.E06, it was still broad sweeping grandeur.  And yes, I’m including S08.E05, because I always disliked Dany - except with Drogo, and to me that episode made sense.

ETA:  people seem to be putting shows on this list because they hate the ending.  That shouldn’t be a disqualification.  Their impact on tv would still be the same. So Lost, GoT, Sopranos, Will & GraceDexter,etc should be judged in totality.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, partofme said:

The Office

Frasier

Game of Thrones

Keeping up with the Kardashians

ER

The Sopranos

Awww, Frasier will always be my ultimate happy place. 

8 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That is all. 

Yes! 

8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Seinfeld definitely Seinfeld.   People STILL quote it as if its Holy Scripture.   I watched a few episodes and was like "WTF why does everything this is so great?"

You either get it or you don’t, I guess. 🤷‍♀️ It’s still absolutely hilarious after all of these years to me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Awww, Frasier will always be my ultimate happy place. 

Yes! 

You either get it or you don’t, I guess. 🤷‍♀️ It’s still absolutely hilarious after all of these years to me.

Re:  Seinfeld.  I don’t get it either.  But I do recognize that I’m one of the few people who don’t, and I do realize it had a major impact on how & what people were watching at the time.

• Love 1
On 8/15/2022 at 2:10 AM, katha said:

Tobias Menzies was considerably better as Prince Philip than Matt Smith in "The Crown" IMO. I was really happy he got that surprise Emmy for it, it seemed like his great performance would not be acknowledged there for a long time. 

He’s great in everything he does.  I loved him as Geo Washington in Washington. I’ve only ever seen one episode of Outlander, and he stood out in both roles.  Like no one else was on the screen except him.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Dexter,etc should be judged in totality.

Dexter is another one I never could get into, even when it was at its "peak." I knew a lot of people who loved it and kept singing its praises, so I may have felt some schadenfreude when everyone finally turned on it because the ending sucked. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, roamyn said:

He’s great in everything he does.  I loved him as Geo Washington in Washington. I’ve only ever seen one episode of Outlander, and he stood out in both roles.  Like no one else was on the screen except him.

The first thing I saw him in was Rome, and he was an excellent Brutus. I've been following his career ever since. He's also fantastic in The Terror, though that whole cast is pretty stacked when it comes to great actors who usually are in supporting roles. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Zella said:

The first thing I saw him in was Rome, and he was an excellent Brutus. I've been following his career ever since. He's also fantastic in The Terror, though that whole cast is pretty stacked when it comes to great actors who usually are in supporting roles. 

Jared Harris! 😍

• Love 1