Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I think original CSI was the BEST CSI. And I love each and every one of the original cast and supporting cast (who became full cast members in Season 3-lookin' at you Greg and Doc Robbins!) and that includes Sara and Warrick.

And I will forever hate CBS and whoever it was that had final say in not renewing Gary Dourdan's contract and depriving me of the yummilicious that was Warrick.

• Love 5

I loved the reimagined Battlestar Galactic (until it went off the rails), but I hated Starbuck too. We get it, she's a woman but she's the meanest, toughest, biggest-dicked pilot in the fleet. I also hated that Apollo and Starbuck became lovers at some point.

In general, though, I hate reboots and revivals and all that. If a show ended, even if you feel it ended prematurely, let it go. Nothing is sadder than characters that have been gone for 10 or 20 years coming back without having grown at all (talking about you Will and Grace). Some of the YouTube channels I watch about Star Trek have been clamoring for a revival of Enterprise. I've even seen videos on how a rebooted TNG should be cast. No, just no.

Also, no more prequels. You hem yourself in in storytelling because of future canon, and if you mess with canon, outraged fanboys and girls will tear you apart.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Also, no more prequels. You hem yourself in in storytelling because of future canon, and if you mess with canon, outraged fanboys and girls will tear you apart.

I am no fan girl (at least I don't think I am!) but this is exactly my problem with Young Sheldon.   If I can watch it and just pretend Big Bang Theory never happened I can enjoy it for what it offers.  My problem is I can't always do that and when something happens on YS that directly contradicts something from BBT it may not outrage me but it certainly bugs me!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SusanM said:

I am no fan girl (at least I don't think I am!) but this is exactly my problem with Young Sheldon.   If I can watch it and just pretend Big Bang Theory never happened I can enjoy it for what it offers.  My problem is I can't always do that and when something happens on YS that directly contradicts something from BBT it may not outrage me but it certainly bugs me!

Im not a fan of the show but, its Chuck Lorre.  His shows aren't meant to be thought about with any depth.  You'll crash and break your neck if you dive in that pool

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I will forever hate CBS and whoever it was that had final say in not renewing Gary Dourdan's contract and depriving me of the yummilicious that was Warrick.

I thought he had drug issues, but maybe that was after his contract wasn't renewed?

• Love 1
Just now, proserpina65 said:

I thought he had drug issues, but maybe that was after his contract wasn't renewed?

He did. And there were rumors that his arrest was the reason for non-renewal, but the episodes had already been filmed and in the can and decision already been made.

And then he got arrested. But, the judge gave him a "diversion" (I read this on IMDb so don't know if it's true), which means he didn't have to do any jail time, right? But he did finally get clean.

But I still hate CBS and whoever decided Warrick wasn't needed anymore. Cuz he's just so purty.

What?

I remember the network/brass taking a very hard line right before season five--when Jorja Fox and George Eads didn't show up on time for filming, they were fired. I remember George being upset, because he'd...overslept? Was sick? Either way, he got unfired. I can't remember what happened with Jorja. I just remember it was BIG news.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

He did. And there were rumors that his arrest was the reason for non-renewal, but the episodes had already been filmed and in the can and decision already been made.

And then he got arrested. But, the judge gave him a "diversion" (I read this on IMDb so don't know if it's true), which means he didn't have to do any jail time, right? But he did finally get clean.

But I still hate CBS and whoever decided Warrick wasn't needed anymore. Cuz he's just so purty.

What?

I remember the network/brass taking a very hard line right before season five--when Jorja Fox and George Eads didn't show up on time for filming, they were fired. I remember George being upset, because he'd...overslept? Was sick? Either way, he got unfired. I can't remember what happened with Jorja. I just remember it was BIG news.

Thanks for the info.  I probably knew this at the time.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What?

IIRC, there was some speculation that either or both of the two were playing hardball with their contract negotiations at the time and that the 'overslept' excuse was just an excuse.

Either way, they both got reinstated.  I'm not sure if they even missed any episodes. 

5 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

IIRC, there was some speculation that either or both of the two were playing hardball with their contract negotiations at the time and that the 'overslept' excuse was just an excuse.

Either way, they both got reinstated.  I'm not sure if they even missed any episodes. 

Right! And nope, they didn't. I'm just finishing up the fifth season--the two part season finale, "Grave Danger" directed by Tarantino is waiting for me when I get home.

Ecklie has such a punchable face.

On 4/25/2022 at 1:25 PM, proserpina65 said:

My maybe unpopular opinion is that I don't think they should've rebooted Battlestar Galactica.  I loved the original, cheesy as it was, and hated the dreary reboot.

I thought original BSG was one of those shows that never quite lived up to its potential and would have been great for a reboot.  But I never went beyond the reboot miniseries.  Not only was it too dreary, it felt like they took other science fiction elements that I had seen before.

Also the gender swapping of Starbuck just felt like a shallow gimmick, mainly because they dropped all the original female characters.

7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I loved the reimagined Battlestar Galactic (until it went off the rails), but I hated Starbuck too. We get it, she's a woman but she's the meanest, toughest, biggest-dicked pilot in the fleet.

Hence the joke: You know you have a strong female character when she embodies toxic masculinity.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/26/2022 at 4:54 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Boomer was recast as a woman on the rebooted BSG too. 

On NuBattlestar Galatica besides gender Grace Park, along with Edward James Olmos being "of color", thus his Colonel could be White, messed with the racial balance as the two prominent Black men of the original got reimagined out of public view.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, Lugal said:

I thought original BSG was one of those shows that never quite lived up to its potential and would have been great for a reboot.  But I never went beyond the reboot miniseries.  Not only was it too dreary, it felt like they took other science fiction elements that I had seen before.

Also the gender swapping of Starbuck just felt like a shallow gimmick, mainly because they dropped all the original female characters.

I watched the original show when it was first run and loved it, although watching it again years later, it was cut short too soon.  I blame the fact that it was ordered by studio execs to go to a weekly series rather than TV movies.  The production was expensive and couldn't keep up.  I had trouble getting into the new series after a few episodes due to the dreariness and too many people dressed like us in the present ( at least the original had more of a cultural aspect and more sci-fi looking fashions).

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I had trouble getting into the new series after a few episodes due to the dreariness and too many people dressed like us in the present ( at least the original had more of a cultural aspect and more sci-fi looking fashions).

To be fair, I think that was kind of the point of 'all this has happened before' theme in the reboot. There's plenty of legitimate criticisms of the show; I think the extended third season was a mistake, and they painted themselves into a corner with the twelve models, and whatever with Angel!Starbuck. However, I do think they stuck the landing on the overall theme. 

Six's and Balthar's reaction shot at the end - You can see them?! - is still one of the most brilliant examples of timing in tv. Those two were just so great together. 

I'd rather a show have some high ambition and miss the mark though. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Angel!Starbuck

I think they were emulating the "Ship of Lights" from the original (which had that Starbuck die but resurrected) which was supposed to be similar to Heaven.  Count Iblis was supposed to have once been one of them (Lucifer aka The Devil).  This time they make Starbuck an angel and it seemed all muddled to me.

• Useful 1

They did not stick that landing. 

I know they needed a way to 'get' to Earth. I mean, just finding it on random would have been ridiculous. They could have had one of the 'original models', Saul et al., who knew the way once they were awakened just as easy. At that point they were stuck, so it's fair to knock them for not really thinking of that. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, magicdog said:

I think they were emulating the "Ship of Lights" from the original (which had that Starbuck die but resurrected) which was supposed to be similar to Heaven.  Count Iblis was supposed to have once been one of them (Lucifer aka The Devil).  This time they make Starbuck an angel and it seemed all muddled to me.

(nitpick) it was Apollo who was killed by Iblis and then brought back on the ship of lights.

• Love 1

Whatever the criticisms for BSG (which I loved, still one of my top 5 fav series), it gave us the incomparable Trisha Helfer.  Anyone who can play multiple characters and make them all immediately recognizable from a single mannerism or voice intonation is brilliant IMO.  (Of course Tatiana Maslany did this too.  Oops, guess I just made Trisha comparable.)

• Love 7
On 4/25/2022 at 5:30 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think original CSI was the BEST CSI. And I love each and every one of the original cast and supporting cast (who became full cast members in Season 3-lookin' at you Greg and Doc Robbins!) and that includes Sara and Warrick.

Lol, see I think CSI:NY a infinitely better than any of the others, but based on even CBS online (pre-Paramount+ days) not having the show i'm the only one who has that opinion. 

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Lol, see I think CSI:NY a infinitely better than any of the others, but based on even CBS online (pre-Paramount+ days) but having the show absinthe I'm the only one who has that opinion. 

I liked CSI: NY as much as the regular CSI. I love Gary Sinse (Lt Dan!) and he was great in the show. I also liked Melina Kanakaredes and Sela Ward. I wish it had more seasons. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Lol, see I think CSI:NY a infinitely better than any of the others, but based on even CBS online (pre-Paramount+ days) but having the show absinthe I'm the only one who has that opinion. 

You aren't alone I love Gary Sinise. I liked the original CSI until William Peterson left.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Lol, see I think CSI:NY a infinitely better than any of the others, but based on even CBS online (pre-Paramount+ days) not having the show i'm the only one who has that opinion. 

I will most definitely take a seat at your CSI NY table.  I loved Flack!

Managed to complete my CSI NY DVD collection last year and am working my way through a rewatch. 

• Love 3

I never really watched CSI: NY, but what I did see of it, I liked. I've always enjoyed Gary Sinise as an actor. I was a really big fan of the original CSI back in the day. It was basically the first network show I remember following with any regularity in the early years, though I never had any interest after Grissom left either. I think CSI: Miami would have improved significantly from not having David Caruso in the cast, but it could sometimes be bonkers enough to be entertaining. (I enjoy a good trainwreck.) 

I think I liked the NY version because it had a cast I liked almost completely. Fur the original I found grissom irritating (although I loved Warrick and Stokes) and Miami had David Caruso. There wasn't enough residual love for Emily Proctor that could overcome that. 

• Love 6

I'm rewatching the early seasons of CSI Las Vegas at the moment. I think I like it best because the characters were so unique. There was Catherine who was very Las Vegas, then Grissom, who never really fit in but was open to the weirdness of that city, Nick, coming from a country boy perspective, Sarah, who felt very damaged by her history, and Warrick, who also was very "Las Vegas" but different. And of course the doctor, and Greg, who was also such a weirdo overall. All their interactions were interesting because they brought so many different perspectives.

And then, it was first, I was fascinated by that approach to a crime show. It was also the first TV show that I actually followed while it was airing and wouldn't miss.

CSI New York, they never quite felt interesting to me. I can't even remember their names. And I did watch most of it. The less said about Miami the better. I saw that Caruso doesn't have any credits since on imdb.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, supposebly said:

CSI New York, they never quite felt interesting to me. I can't even remember their names. And I did watch most of it. The less said about Miami the better. I saw that Caruso doesn't have any credits since ion imdb.

I remember giving CSI NY a try for a few episodes. But I could never get past how it was very obviously not filmed in New York (and they tried way to hard to fake it). Compared to L&O where actually being in NYC was a huge part of the show. Weirdly this kind of thing has never bothered me about other shows that aren't filmed in NY but take place there like Seinfeld of How I Met Your Mother.

• Love 2

CSI:NY was hands down my favorite. I loved most all the characters. Lindsey was the weak link for me but not enough to turn me completely off from the show. I have maybe seen half an episode of CSI:Miami, and that was more than enough. I liked CSI when it first came out because it was so different but I always loathed Grissom and Sara so it was hit or miss for me. I did love the rest of the cast though. Sadly, Grissom and Sara were basically the leads so I'm team CSI:NY. I loved Mac and Stella (but as partners/friends, never wanted them as a couple). NY had way more eye candy for me, between Mac, Hawkes, Flack and Messer...yummy. (yeah, I'm shallow. I've learned to live with it.)

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

NY had way more eye candy for me, between Mac, Hawkes, Flack and Messer...yummy. (yeah, I'm shallow. I've learned to live with it.)

Haha, hey nothing wrong with that. There's plenty of shows I've watched where a decent part of the appeal is the eye candy :D!

• Love 4
On 4/30/2022 at 2:06 PM, supposebly said:

I'm rewatching the early seasons of CSI Las Vegas at the moment. I think I like it best because the characters were so unique. There was Catherine who was very Las Vegas, then Grissom, who never really fit in but was open to the weirdness of that city, Nick, coming from a country boy perspective, Sarah, who felt very damaged by her history, and Warrick, who also was very "Las Vegas" but different. And of course the doctor, and Greg, who was also such a weirdo overall. All their interactions were interesting because they brought so many different perspectives.

And then, it was first, I was fascinated by that approach to a crime show. It was also the first TV show that I actually followed while it was airing and wouldn't miss.

CSI New York, they never quite felt interesting to me. I can't even remember their names. And I did watch most of it. The less said about Miami the better. I saw that Caruso doesn't have any credits since on imdb.

Yes! Like I posted up thread, I loved all the cast of the original-even though Sara and Catherine bugged me sometimes. But I ❤️ Grissom and I think it’s more of my love for William Petersen. It was a truly ensemble show during the years I watched. Around season five, not all actors were in every episode.

As for NY-I could never get past Melina’s character (Stella?) chasing suspects in high heeled boots. Sue me.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As for NY-I could never get past Melina’s character (Stella?) chasing suspects in high heeled boots. Sue me.

I never watched the NY version, but this is something that annoyed me about the original.  Marg Helgenberger's wardrobe was ridiculous, even before I met a friend of a friend who was a csi and went into great detail about just how bad the show really was.  Admittedly, I watched the show for a couple of seasons regardless.

• Love 3
(edited)

I always thought Marg Helgenberger was the worst part of CSI in the early years. I just never bought her as a forensic scientist. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Zella said:

I always thought Marg Helgenberger was the worst part of CSI in the early years. I just never bought her as a forensic scientist. 

I wonder how much the character bio mixed with an actress known by many as the Vietnam prostitute K.C. from K.C. on China Beach an ex showgirl who had ties to strippers hurt the character?

• Useful 1
51 minutes ago, Raja said:

an actress known by many as the Vietnam prostitute K.C. from K.C. on China Beach an ex showgirl who had ties to strippers hurt the character?

Well, I'm glad in retrospect I never knew that. I just liked that she was a CSI that you wouldn't have expected to be the typical quirky "nerd" character on TV.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Zella said:

Awe, she was my favorite. Probably because of residual love of KC on China Beach and because she wasn't the stereotypical science tech angsty type. Grissom and Sara were far too angsty for me so Katherine was a breath of fresh air. I'm also a sucker for redheads. 

• Love 8

I've loved Marg since her Ryan's Hope days.

What drove me bonkers was that her hair, well, Catherine's hair, kept changing from red to blonde, to strawberry blonde, to blonde, season to season. Sometimes within the same season! I really loved her red hair from the pilot--where I could actually see it was RED, hee!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Awe, she was my favorite. Probably because of residual love of KC on China Beach and because she wasn't the stereotypical science tech angsty type. Grissom and Sara were far too angsty for me so Katherine was a breath of fresh air. I'm also a sucker for redheads. 

I should also clarify I was about 12 when I was watching CSI. LOL My opinion may very well be different as an adult, but my biggest thing was I just didn't think she was a very good actress, at least according to my tween standards. But I've never watched China Beach. Indeed, I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else that I was aware of. 

• Useful 2

I just got tired of every male in her vicinity telling her how beautiful she was. And did you know she used to be a dancer, and that she's a mother? You could die of alcohol poisoning playing a drinking game with just those 3 items. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I liked her half because of China Beach (love that show) and because she was different. She had the most "Vegas" background. Her mother was a dancer, and her father was mobster. I liked in the first season I think when the team had a birthday party for her daughter Lindsay. It just showed how nice and close knit the group was. 

• Love 3

Inspired by a discussion in the streaming/subscribing thread: I'm apparently the only person in North America who thinks Hamilton was overrated. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when I saw it onstage and it still feels to me like a musical for people who hate musicals.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, ABay said:

Inspired by a discussion in the streaming/subscribing thread: I'm apparently the only person in North America who thinks Hamilton was overrated. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when I saw it onstage and it still feels to me like a musical for people who hate musicals.

If it makes you feel any better, I hate musicals, and I could not get into Hamilton. 😂

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, ABay said:

The younger generation of my family love Hamilton.  I do like Lin Manuel Miranda very much and think he's very talented but shows like Hamilton (and Rent and The Book of Mormon...I could go on) just are not my thing.   There are more current musicals I do like BTW so it's not just me clinging to Rogers and Hammerstein here but clearly some stuff is just not going to appeal to me.  Ever!

• Love 3
(edited)
59 minutes ago, ABay said:

I admire it more than I love it.  I prefer the second act more than the first act. So it's not that I think it's overrated.  I think it deserves its accolades. I'm not as into it as others.

At first I thought it might be because people kept singing along with it when I saw it live but I felt the same once I watched it on Disney+.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, ABay said:

I think this is now the trendier opinion. I know I've seen at least two jokes about Hamilton being overrated on TV this year. 

• Love 1