Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

On 2/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, bluegirl147 said:

I liked Dynasty too. And Falcon Crest and Knot's Landing.  

Not sure if it's unpopular or not but if I was told I could only watch those shows in reruns or new episodes of any current show I would choose the reruns.

I used to watch Falcon Crest on Soapnet. I never saw it before. It was really good. Then they took it off. It stinks. I liked when they would show old episodes of All My Children like a marathon of all Erica's weddings. I really wish there was a network that showed all the old soaps and old episodes from current ones. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
Just now, andromeda331 said:

I really wish there was a network that showed all the old soaps and old episodes from current ones.

I would watch the hell out of any Santa Barbara episodes.  Or ATWT from 1987 to 1993.  Or the early Reva Shayne years on GL.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I really wish there was a network that showed all the old soaps and old episodes from current ones. 

My mom has been wishing for a channel like this, too. It would be fun, and I think it'd have a decent viewership. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ABay said:

The number of times Roger Thorpe died and came back on GL would easily fill a week.

Wasn't it only twice?  When Holly shot him and he faked his death (I think Alan helped him) so she'd go to prison and then when he fell off the cliff in Santo Domingo (which was intended as an actual death, but then about ten years later the writers decided they wanted to bring him back)?

I know when Billy shot him some people thought (or hoped) he could be dead, since they found Roger's blood and pocket watch but no Roger (because he was hiding in Holly's basement and skulking about town trying to figure out who shot him), but he was missing, not presumed dead.

I sometimes watched a bit of ATWT back then, and all I remember is James Stenbeck died a lot.

I would totally watch old GL episodes if a channel like that existed, but if it hasn't happened by now, I guess it's never going to.

• Love 1

It seemed like so many more...Maybe a mixed week of Roger and James.

I still miss ATWT. Toward the end, there was an episode where most of the main female characters were stuck on a bus (? it was a while ago) and during the conversation it became clear that the one thing they had in common, other than being stuck, was having had a relationship with John Dixon.

In pro wrestling terms, John was a great tweener--sometimes heel, sometimes face. Mostly heel, though.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

I could get down with some classic soaps. I like to have what I call "comfort TV" on in the evenings when I'm taking care of other stuff. TV that is easy and I don't have to give it my full attention, but it's also entertaining me. Midsomer Murders is great for that.

My unpopular opinion, I can't get worked up into the "unreality" of TV. It's...TV. So what there are 4000 murders in Midsomer. Who cares if Stefano DiMera keeps dying and coming back? As long as whatever happens is plausible within the show universe, I'm fine with it. It's when a show backtracks on itself or is inconsistent within itself that I get annoyed. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
So many typos.
  • Love 11
9 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

My unpopular opinion, I can't get worked up into the "unreality" of TV. It's..TV. So what there are 4000 murders in Midsomer. Who cares of Stefano DiMera keeps dying and coming back? As long as whatever happens is plausible within the show universe, I'm fine with it. It's when a show backtracks on itself or is inconsistent within itself that I get annoyed. 

Guiding Light was my daytime soap and Knots Landing my prime time soap because they were more realistic than the others.  I had to either accept there were still going to be shenanigans like evil twins and coming back from the dead or just skip soaps altogether.  (I chose the former for about a ten-year period and then I lost interest.)  So, yeah, for the most part if something makes sense within the universe the show has established, I roll with it.  If it comes out of nowhere in a show that had largely been sticking to reality, that's when I'll complain.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

My unpopular opinion, I can't get worked up into the "unreality" of TV. It's..TV. So what there are 4000 murders in Midsomer. Who cares of Stefano DiMera keeps dying and coming back? As long as whatever happens is plausible within the show universe, I'm fine with it. It's when a show backtracks on itself or is inconsistent within itself that I get annoyed. 

I also love that no one is really dead in any given soap opera.  It's a soap, of course it's "unreal.'  I'm not watching it for realism, I'm watching it to escape.  Plus you get the unintentional hilarity when a soap brings back a character who died and had his organs donated to save a life.

I also have zero problems with soap opera rapidly aging syndrome and the various timeline shuffles that happen in order to accommodate.  Just as long as the soap does not undo the tentpole moments in the process.  And most of them accomplish this.  

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Knots Landing my prime time soap because they were more realistic than the others

Knots Landing was so good.  The middle seasons I thought were the best.  Adding Abby and later Greg Sumner made the show must see for me.  And when Pam had that dream on Dallas Bobby stayed dead on Knots Landing.

33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

So, yeah, for the most part if something makes sense within the universe the show has established, I roll with it.  If it comes out of nowhere in a show that had largely been sticking to reality, that's when I'll complain.

This is me.  I loved Roseanne but when the Connors won the lottery I hated the show.

• Love 3

For those missing their old soaps, I recommend having a look through YouTube. I spent the pandemic watching about ten years worth of As the World Turns and I had a blast.

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also love that no one is really dead in any given soap opera.  It's a soap, of course it's "unreal.'  I'm not watching it for realism, I'm watching it to escape.  Plus you get the unintentional hilarity when a soap brings back a character who died and had his organs donated to save a life.

Which is what made the “he doesn’t have a head” scene so funny in Soapdish. Soaps so often had to tap dance and make up some elaborate story for why someone suddenly wasn’t dead when their body was obliterated.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I would watch the hell out of any Santa Barbara episodes.

Santa Barbara was my show! I didn't have a VCR so I would audio record the episodes on cassette. Life was rough before streaming kids, you have no clue! I coveted Eden's wedding dress, and venue. That cliffside wedding spot was breathtaking. Now that I'm older, and it's not the decadent 80s, I'd say the dress was a bit much, but I did love it then. 

image.png.e3d9fc3410c1e885a56834e3010e3deb.png

I loved daytime soaps. They were on every day for years and years. It was like spying on your neighbors is your neighborhood was full of batshit crazy, surprise twins who all have the 9 lives of cats and have all married and remarried each other. They were way more interesting than my neighbors. 

Edited by Mabinogia
added the dress
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm not watching it for realism, I'm watching it to escape.  Plus you get the unintentional hilarity when a soap brings back a character who died and had his organs donated to save a life.

I remember TV Line had an article about a year or so back where they recalled some of the wildest storylines that happened on various soap operas:

Daytime Soaps' Wildest Storylines

My main takeaway from that article was that the "Passions" writers' room was clearly on something :p. I mean...

Spoiler

Passions: A Precious Romance

Precious, an orangutan hired as an in-home caretaker for Beth’s elderly mother, fell in love with Luis, resulting in a series of elaborate fantasy sequences. Heartbroken over her unrequited affections, Precious eventually left town, tossing a picture of Luis from the window of her train car to symbolize that she had finally decided to move on.

...what? 

No, seriously. WHAT?!?!

But yeah, I agree on being willing to just roll with a lot of whatever craziness goes down on various TV shows. I'm mainly here for the characters, so as long as I'm invested in them, I'll watch them deal with anything, no matter how out there it is :p. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

For those missing their old soaps, I recommend having a look through YouTube. I spent the pandemic watching about ten years worth of As the World Turns and I had a blast.

Which is what made the “he doesn’t have a head” scene so funny in Soapdish. Soaps so often had to tap dance and make up some elaborate story for why someone suddenly wasn’t dead when their body was obliterated.

I love David's response: "They froze the head. They put it in ice and sewed it back on in a precedent setting 2 day operation.  Will you use your imagination?"

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I remember TV Line had an article about a year or so back where they recalled some of the wildest storylines that happened on various soap operas:

My main takeaway from that article was that the "Passions" writers' room was clearly on something :p. I mean...

Reveal spoiler

Precious, an orangutan hired as an in-home caretaker for Beth’s elderly mother, fell in love with Luis, resulting in a series of elaborate fantasy sequences. Heartbroken over her unrequited affections, Precious eventually left town, tossing a picture of Luis from the window of her train car to symbolize that she had finally decided to move on.

...what? 

No, seriously. WHAT?!?!

But yeah, I agree on being willing to just roll with a lot of whatever craziness goes down on various TV shows. I'm mainly here for the characters, so as long as I'm invested in them, I'll watch them deal with anything, no matter how out there it is :p. 

Uh... was it a crossover with the Discworld universe?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4

The Tom & Margo & Mr. Big storyline on ATWT was a hoot.

WRT reality, I do remember being impressed that ATWT got the exceptions to hearsay correct in one of the many trials. 

I don't think people, or fans anyway, object to things like SORAS, or 6 week blindness/prison/coma. They're fun tropes to notice and poke fun at within the community. That's why so many of us love Soapdish.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Reveal spoiler

...what? 

No, seriously. WHAT?!?!

Hee! When Passions leaned into the crazy it was the most amazing show. Don't forget the storyline near the end where Julian had to be careful not to get aroused because an erection would kill him.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Knots Landing was so good.  The middle seasons I thought were the best.  Adding Abby and later Greg Sumner made the show must see for me.

The Wolfbridge story in season 5 was a textbook case in how to run a season long storyline that organically pulled in just about every one of the main cast without it being forced, having various branches to that story with almost none feeling extraneous, and setting up an awesome cliffhanger (Karen shot, "Gary! Val! Gary! Abby! Val! Gary!").

The need to bring back Soapnet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

The need to bring back Soapnet.

It never aired anything I wanted to watch, but I have a very narrow interest in soaps so I'm not the target audience. 

Fundamentally, that it ultimately didn't succeed, and that even the 2020 circumstances of exponentially greater time spent at home staring at the TV not leading to any appreciable surge for old soap episodes, leads me to think the same changing interest that led to the substantial demise of soaps in the first place means we're never going to any significant presence in syndication or streaming.  Thank goodness for YouTube uploads by folks who taped back in the day, as I don't think we'll ever get anything official again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I think the sheer volume of soap episodes may prove daunting for people. I've gotten to where even network shows that are more than a few seasons long are just too much to wade into. A show that has aired hundreds of episodes for decades is just almost unwieldy to approach from a systematic standpoint. 

And honestly, as someone who grew up watching a soap opera with a parent and then sort of weirdly hate-watched and then unironically watched the same soap in grad school (I'm sure a therapist would find lots to unpack in my relationship with Young and the Restless LOL), I found you could skip every other day and still often follow the action. I think they're ideally consumed once a day and watching several episodes at a time during a binge would probably not be very rewarding. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

And honestly, as someone who grew up watching a soap opera with a parent and then sort of weirdly hate-watched and then unironically watched the same soap in grad school (I'm sure a therapist would find lots to unpack in my relationship with Young and the Restless LOL), I found you could skip every other day and still often follow the action.

LOL, this sounds kinda similar to my experience with "All My Children". When I was a kid, I'd get so bored when my mom would turn on that soap. I remember coming home from school whenever we'd have a half day and being like, "Oh, yeah, Mom's watching that show, time to go do something else." 

Then the older I got, the more I got sucked into watching with her, and then eventually I was as invested as she was :p. 

But yes, you're also right that you could often miss a number of episodes and come back and they'd STILL be on the same storyline days, weeks, even months later. 

• Love 5

OK, as long as we're admitting old soapy likes, I admit I watched Falcon Crest for its one-liners. The legendary Miss Jane Wyman was tiny but truly pulled no punches with them- even when her character Angela Channing did despicable acts to her family and neighbors.  And her co-stars were no slackers in that department.

One of many that cracked me up in spite of myself was when one of her  archenemies Anna Rossini (Celeste Holm) recited a rather scathing  litany of wrongs  that Angela   had done to their family and home- and without missing a beat Angela replied, "Anna, you always were a crybaby!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

LOL, this sounds kinda similar to my experience with "All My Children". When I was a kid, I'd get so bored when my mom would turn on that soap. I remember coming home from school whenever we'd have a half day and being like, "Oh, yeah, Mom's watching that show, time to go do something else." 

Then the older I got, the more I got sucked into watching with her, and then eventually I was as invested as she was :p. 

But yes, you're also right that you could often miss a number of episodes and come back and they'd STILL be on the same storyline days, weeks, even months later. 

I hated Y & R when I was a kid. Like, just absolutely loathed it and had no clue why my mom and her mother loved it so much. Happened upon an episode nearly 20 years later and recognized so many people I had to call my dad and my brother to say, "DID YOU KNOW JACK AND VICTOR ARE STILL ON THE SHOW?" (And they knew exactly who I was talking about. LOL) So, then I was catching it here and there to be snarky and then I started watching it when I was home a lot working on my thesis and scheduling my day around it. 

After I graduated, several months went by and I'd not seen any episodes during that entire time, but a girl who would come into the library where I work and make copies of Soap Digest articles asked for some help. I was doing her copies, saw an article about one of the characters, and before I could stop myself blurted out, "ARE THEY STILL TOGETHER?" 

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

The Wolfbridge story in season 5 was a textbook case in how to run a season long storyline that organically pulled in just about every one of the main cast without it being forced, having various branches to that story with almost none feeling extraneous, and setting up an awesome cliffhanger (Karen shot, "Gary! Val! Gary! Abby! Val! Gary!").

I think my unpopular opinion is that Knots Landing did cliffhangers and twists better than the show it was spun off of.  Dallas has THE definitive cliffhanger but Knots was incredible with them.  There was finding Val and Gary's twins alive, discovering who Karen't stalker was, quite a few surprising deaths and they usually built up over quite a while.  TBS aired Knots Landing daily way back when and it was addictive.

I really wish it were streaming somewhere.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I could get down with some classic soaps. I like to have what I call "comfort TV" on in the evenings when I'm taking care of other stuff. TV that is easy and I don't have to give it my full attention, but it's also entertaining me. Midsomer Murders is great for that.

My unpopular opinion, I can't get worked up into the "unreality" of TV. It's...TV. So what there are 4000 murders in Midsomer. Who cares if Stefano DiMera keeps dying and coming back? As long as whatever happens is plausible within the show universe, I'm fine with it. It's when a show backtracks on itself or is inconsistent within itself that I get annoyed. 

That reminds me way back when on General Hospital when Lucy and Katherine were planning the Nurses Ball and Katherine said how terrible last years was and Lucy pointed out that Katherine was dead last year. 

9 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I check it out when I'm missing my favorite soap couples or weddings or just want to watch a crazy storyline. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think my unpopular opinion is that Knots Landing did cliffhangers and twists better than the show it was spun off of.  Dallas has THE definitive cliffhanger but Knots was incredible with them.  There was finding Val and Gary's twins alive, discovering who Karen't stalker was, quite a few surprising deaths and they usually built up over quite a while.  TBS aired Knots Landing daily way back when and it was addictive.

Dallas did the big epic cliffhangers.  They are the ones everyone remembers. But KL did some really good ones too.  In addition to the ones you mentioned there was also Jill forcing Val to take an overdose of sleeping pills and my personal favorite Abby being told some cement was cracking and would need dug up and replaced.  The same cement she had buried Peter's body under.

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I really wish it were streaming somewhere.

The first two seasons are on DVD.  If it streamed I would gladly pay whatever the cost.  I don't know why it doesn't.  If I'm not mistaken the same company that produced Dallas produced KL. And Dallas has streamed for years.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Zella said:

I think the sheer volume of soap episodes may prove daunting for people. I've gotten to where even network shows that are more than a few seasons long are just too much to wade into. A show that has aired hundreds of episodes for decades is just almost unwieldy to approach from a systematic standpoint. 

TBF, it's like that for everybody when we start! A nice thing about YouTube is that at least in my experience, you can find things grouped by storyline--lots of reptitious scenes (or even lots of repetition within scenes) but you can just follow that story with bits of other ones reflected.

• Useful 5
6 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

TBF, it's like that for everybody when we start! A nice thing about YouTube is that at least in my experience, you can find things grouped by storyline--lots of reptitious scenes (or even lots of repetition within scenes) but you can just follow that story with bits of other ones reflected.

That is useful, but I think if someone is new to the show, they're not even going to know which storyline to start at, which may also be a barrier. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Zella said:

That is useful, but I think if someone is new to the show, they're not even going to know which storyline to start at, which may also be a barrier. 

True. I was thinking of it as more helpful for someone who might, for instance, watch the show now and get interested in past storylines. A person coming in cold would probably just turn on the show now--and if they wanted to check out one of the many shows that are gone, they'd probably first get intersted through someone else who would guide them.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

In addition to the ones you mentioned there was also Jill forcing Val to take an overdose of sleeping pills

This aired the year I started watching Knots Landing and is what got me hooked on the show.  

13 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

True. I was thinking of it as more helpful for someone who might, for instance, watch the show now and get interested in past storylines. A person coming in cold would probably just turn on the show now--and if they wanted to check out one of the many shows that are gone, they'd probably first get intersted through someone else who would guide them.

soapcentral.com has all their old recaps archived. But it’s only useful from the late 90s and up. At any rate, I did use it when I was youtubing ATWT. I wanted to watch the spa storyline and used those to find where it was.

• Useful 5

Y & R was always my favorite of daytimes along with Corrie. I loathed Victor but only because Eric Braedon killed Zira and Cornelius in Escape from the Planet of the Apes. It makes sense total sense to me?

• LOL 5
41 minutes ago, juno said:

I loathed Victor but only because Eric Braedon killed Zira and Cornelius in Escape from the Planet of the Apes.

My mom hated Victor, but at 6, I never could quite figure out her reasoning. To me, he was also that guy in Titanic. LOL

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

My mom hated Victor, but at 6, I never could quite figure out her reasoning. To me, he was also that guy in Titanic. LOL

There you go. The beloved Zira and Cornelius were loved by your Mom. I have solved some of the mysteries of life today.

Although it could be that she loved Jack Abbott and poor Nikki.

• LOL 3
8 minutes ago, juno said:

There you go. The beloved Zira and Cornelius were loved by your Mom. I have solved some of the mysteries of life today.

Although it could be that she loved Jack Abbott and poor Nikki.

Jack was #1. LOL 

• Love 2

LALALALALALALALALALAAAAAAAA!!!

I can’t hear yous all!!! Dallas was my FAVORITE prime time soap and I LOVED ORIGINAL Miss Ellie and Jock!!! She did reign in that wonderful ORIGINAL MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, JR as the seasons passed, and it was glorious. If she were as terrible as all that, Valene sure still respected and loved her and accepted the house she bought for her and Gary when the show spun off to Knot Landing.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 1

I was a kid during primetime (and daytime) soaps heyday, but I liked Knots Landing the best. I really hated that Dallas rarely mentioned Gary and Val. As for daytime, we were an ABC soaps household with some DAYS on the side. 

By my teens I sort of stopped watching and was recently at a friend's who was watching GH. The SAME EXACT storylines from ages ago. I am glad I dropped them.

I thought it was funny on Falcon Crest how the viewers saw several dining areas in Mrs. Channing's large mansion over the years yet I can't recall a single time the Falcon Crest kitchen got shown- despite her butler Chou Li and the other servants supposedly being able to prepare enormous, sumptuous meals at a moment's notice! 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I thought it was funny on Falcon Crest how the viewers saw several dining areas in Mrs. Channing's large mansion over the years yet I can't recall a single time the Falcon Crest kitchen got shown- despite her butler Chou Li and the other servants supposedly being able to prepare enormous, sumptuous meals at a moment's notice! 

They always showed the kitchens on Knots Landing. We saw the kitchen at Southfork a few times.  Don't think we ever saw the kitchen at Carrington mansion.

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

By my teens I sort of stopped watching and was recently at a friend's who was watching GH. The SAME EXACT storylines from ages ago. I am glad I dropped them.

I started watching them in my teens.  I would watch certain ones and then move on from them and start watching other ones.  In 2009 after I turned 40 I thought I think I'm done. And just like that I stopped watching daytime soaps.  In the years since my mother would have on Y & R or B & B and I would see a scene here and there and I swear it was the same exact plots.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, juno said:

Y & R was always my favorite of daytimes along with Corrie. I loathed Victor but only because Eric Braedon killed Zira and Cornelius in Escape from the Planet of the Apes. It makes sense total sense to me?

Whereas I liked Victor because Eric Braedon was the hot German from Rat Patrol, so it makes perfect sense to me.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Valene sure still respected and loved her and accepted the house she bought for her and Gary when the show spun off to Knot Landing.

I like to think Val saw that as compensation pay, which, IMO, she deserved.

Don't think we ever saw the kitchen at Carrington mansion.

We did, many times. Here are just 3.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Whereas I liked Victor because Eric Braedon was the hot German from Rat Patrol, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Same here. I discovered The Rat Patrol while in grad school, decades after its original run. A colleague mentioned that Hans Gudegast had changed his name and had been on Y&R for years, so I started watching it for a while. Could not stick with it more than a year or so. I prefer Hauptmann Dietrich to Victor Newman.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Valene sure still respected and loved her and accepted the house she bought for her and Gary when the show spun off to Knot Landing.

I like to think Val saw that as compensation pay, which, IMO, she deserved.

I just saw that scene on YouTube.  Valence said the house was too much, and Miss Ellie said that she should never have raised Lucy and it would never be enough.

• Love 1

Angel was a better show than Buffy. Yeah, I said it.

Yeah, I hated what Whedon did to Charisma/Cordy, and there’s still plenty of his sexist trademarks but overall it was a fun epic show. Angel got to have more of a personality than he did on Buffy, and giving him a Barry Manilow guilty pleasure was something I never knew we needed. And “Smile Time” was the greatest thing ever.

Bonus: no Xander Harris! Sure, we had to deal with Wesley and Connor, but Wesley getting his throat cut, nearly smothered by Angel, and being shunned by the group for getting Connor sent to a hell dimension was the exactly the kind of comeuppance I wish Xander had gotten in “Bewitched, Bewildered, and Bothered” (among other things). And any time Connor pissed me off, I could always rewatch the moment when Faith trounced his ass.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Angel was a better show than Buffy. Yeah, I said it.

Oh yeah, ditto. I did a rewatch of both shows last year. Got through Angel with no problems. Halfway through season 4 of Buffy, I couldn’t take it anymore and I quit.

• Love 1