Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

Big-time UO that I am going to get boulders, not even rocks but boulders, thrown a me.

I didn't like Corey and Topanga as a couple.  I thought they were too overly intense, especially in high school.  And, since Corey thought Topanga was weird in the first season, I hated the fact that later they acted like they had been together since kindergarten and even had that flashback with Corey introducing her to Shawn as "the wife."  

Also, I liked both Morgans.  

I liked them fine as a couple, but all that stuff bothered me about Corey and Topanga, too.  I also never got used to the fact that she stopped being a hippie.

• Love 8
On 1/25/2020 at 10:11 PM, BookWoman56 said:

Not sure what he’s doing now, but I will never forget his summation of the career phases of actors, that he did on some late night show. This isn’t verbatim but should be fairly close:

1. Who is John Larroquette?

2. We want John Larroquette.

3. We need a John Larroquette type.   

4. We need a younger John Larroquette.  

5.  Who is John Larroquette?

It's kind of weird how back in the 80's John Larroquette and Ted Danson had pretty similar careers. Both were starring on popular NBC comedies where they both were nominated for a bunch of awards and both were playing man-whore type characters.  But Danson's career has had kind of a resurgence in the 20-teens what with CSI, Fargo and The Good Place while the only thing I have seen Larroquette in was that Me, Myself and I show that didn't even last one season.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2
On 1/23/2020 at 7:53 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

. Night Court went on for too long

. Boston Legal should’ve had more seasons

. The John Larroquette Show and Dave's World are both underrated shows

I loved Dave's World.  Whatever happened to DeLane Matthews?

• Love 2

I've only ever seen John Larroquette in two things - His one episode of The West Wing, where he chewed every bit of scenery he came across. And The Tenth Kingdom, an utterly charming miniseries about a man and his adult daugher being transported to a twisted, incredibly fun world based on fairytales.

That show also had Kimberly Williams in it, and I never understood how she wasn't a bigger star. She broke through as the titular bride in Father of the Bride then didn't seem to do much (or at least, not much that ever made it across the Atlantic). But she always had the air of a more wholesome Winona Ryder, to me.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I loved Dave's World.  Whatever happened to DeLane Matthews?

You made me curious about her and I did a google search, it looks like she has had some serious health issues and retired from acting after she married.  She seems fairly active on Twitter and Facebook and sounds like a cool person.

• Love 1

I know it's psychologically quite normal to be more annoyed by more mundane flaws than by a character being a murderer but it still bugs me when there are tons of posts about "Character X is the worst" when character Y is literally a murderer, maybe even a serial killer. I am currently watching You and both here and on another forum, the most liked posts tend to be the ones saying how horrible Beck is, despite the protagonist of the show being a creepy stalker, a murderer and a complete psychopath. I can understand finding Joe fun to watch, I did too, or I wouldn't have watched the entire first season in a few days, but he is a really sorry excuse for a human being. Even in a show full of nothing but pretty horrible people, he stands out head and shoulders above everyone. Reminds me of all the people who posted about how great Mona or Alison were on Pretty Little Liars but wouldn't shut up about how one or another of the Liars (or Paige or some other relatively harmless character) was the worst.

Again, I am not saying one should only like characters based on their morals or lack thereof. Rooting for the villain can be fun. But I still tend to cringe a little when I see posts like "Yes, he/she killed some people but character X said some mean things to him/her, did you forget about that"?

And now, the really unpopular opinion - I actually don't hate Beck from You. Yes, she is pretentious, a cheater, self-absorbed, has some really horrible friends and (like most TV character) tons of daddy issues. But despite the show being from Joe's point of view and him having about a million delusions about her (which is kind of the point of the show), Beck felt the most real of all characters. Very flawed but in a believable fashion, IMO. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the actress reminds of a more girl next door version of one of my biggest celebrity crushes of all time - Emily VanCamp.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I've only ever seen John Larroquette in two things - His one episode of The West Wing, where he chewed every bit of scenery he came across. And The Tenth Kingdom, an utterly charming miniseries about a man and his adult daugher being transported to a twisted, incredibly fun world based on fairytales.

That show also had Kimberly Williams in it, and I never understood how she wasn't a bigger star. She broke through as the titular bride in Father of the Bride then didn't seem to do much (or at least, not much that ever made it across the Atlantic). But she always had the air of a more wholesome Winona Ryder, to me.

Kimberly Williams is married to Brad Paisley. I agree, she's cute as a button, and from what I've seen on talk shows she seems really funny and nice.

• Love 6

I've only ever seen John Larroquette in two things - His one episode of The West Wing, where he chewed every bit of scenery he came across. And The Tenth Kingdom, an utterly charming miniseries about a man and his adult daugher being transported to a twisted, incredibly fun world based on fairytales.

That show also had Kimberly Williams in it, and I never understood how she wasn't a bigger star. She broke through as the titular bride in Father of the Bride then didn't seem to do much (or at least, not much that ever made it across the Atlantic). But she always had the air of a more wholesome Winona Ryder, to me.

I LOVE The Tenth Kingdom. There were some very stupid parts of the show, to be sure. But there were also some great ideas and great worldbuilding. I wish they'd gotten more of a chance to explore their ideas. It was the kind of fantasy I could get behind. 

Kimberly Williams played a very hated character on season 1 of Nashville. Certainly a lot of people have careers who aren't the best actors but I think maybe she was just one of the many cases where she didn't have enough connections or clout to turn her average acting ability into a robust career. A lot of actors need and get time to work out their craft in project after project. 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 11:28 AM, Jack Shaftoe said:

I know it's psychologically quite normal to be more annoyed by more mundane flaws than by a character being a murderer but it still bugs me when there are tons of posts about "Character X is the worst" when character Y is literally a murderer, maybe even a serial killer. I am currently watching You and both here and on another forum, the most liked posts tend to be the ones saying how horrible Beck is, despite the protagonist of the show being a creepy stalker, a murderer and a complete psychopath. I can understand finding Joe fun to watch, I did too, or I wouldn't have watched the entire first season in a few days, but he is a really sorry excuse for a human being. Even in a show full of nothing but pretty horrible people, he stands out head and shoulders above everyone. Reminds me of all the people who posted about how great Mona or Alison were on Pretty Little Liars but wouldn't shut up about how one or another of the Liars (or Paige or some other relatively harmless character) was the worst.

Again, I am not saying one should only like characters based on their morals or lack thereof. Rooting for the villain can be fun. But I still tend to cringe a little when I see posts like "Yes, he/she killed some people but character X said some mean things to him/her, did you forget about that"?

And now, the really unpopular opinion - I actually don't hate Beck from You. Yes, she is pretentious, a cheater, self-absorbed, has some really horrible friends and (like most TV character) tons of daddy issues. But despite the show being from Joe's point of view and him having about a million delusions about her (which is kind of the point of the show), Beck felt the most real of all characters. Very flawed but in a believable fashion, IMO. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the actress reminds of a more girl next door version of one of my biggest celebrity crushes of all time - Emily VanCamp.

I agree.  Beck had her flaws but I didn't hate her.  She was just your stereotypical 20-something that enjoyed literature and felt like she could write, even though she seemed to have little talent at it and never really had much desire to work at it.  She is attractive and likeable and seemed to use that to get away with kind of gliding through life to that point with people giving her passes on her screw ups.  Yes I know she fought back when people tried to take advantage of her sexually, I am not saying she was using sex explicitly for anything.  However I got the impression she was given lots of chances others may not have had based on her personality and looks.  She could come up with a nice piece of writing here and there when she felt like trying and putting in some effort, but couldn't do it consistently.  She was more interested in partying and having fun that actually being a writer.  Again, typical female 20 something.  Its a flaw, but not a horrible one and certainly believable and relatable.

But I didn't hate her.  She didn't deserve her fate, certainly.  And I did think some of those people that died deserved it. 

• Love 1
On 2/3/2020 at 11:28 AM, Jack Shaftoe said:

I know it's psychologically quite normal to be more annoyed by more mundane flaws than by a character being a murderer but it still bugs me when there are tons of posts about "Character X is the worst" when character Y is literally a murderer, maybe even a serial killer.

And in my non-scientific observations, your Character Y tends to be male in most cases and Character X tends to be female.  Like chromosomes, ha! 

4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I love melodrama. And Laura Dern seems like a nice lady. But a lot of the time when I see clips of her, the acting seems... bad. Maybe it works in context. 

It is funny because Laura Dern is a famous actress who has been in many things and has a very recognizable face.  And yet if you asked me off the top of my head to list 20 blonde actresses in a lightning round of a game show where I'll win 1 million dollars,  she wouldn't even make the list.  The only thing I can even think of that she was in was Big Little Lies.  Which, contrary to my sentence above, I think she killed as Renata.  I honestly think her performance in season 1 (never watched season 2) was hands down the best of the bunch.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Kimberly Williams played a very hated character on season 1 of Nashville. Certainly a lot of people have careers who aren't the best actors but I think maybe she was just one of the many cases where she didn't have enough connections or clout to turn her average acting ability into a robust career. A lot of actors need and get time to work out their craft in project after project. 

Pig Blood Peggy! I actually agree with you, but I don't think Kimberly's acting was the reason her Nashville character was so hated. Peggy was badly written.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

Gayle King did nothing wrong. Nothing! She shouldn't have apologized for doing her job. 

And even if you don't like the timing of the question, it most certainly, 100% does not warrant death threats.

• Love 20
32 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

Gayle King did nothing wrong. Nothing! She shouldn't have apologized for doing her job. 

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And even if you don't like the timing of the question, it most certainly, 100% does not warrant death threats.

What kills me is that the network chose to make that snippet of the interview go viral in an attempt to create controversy.  They want people to tune into the interview so they chose to release the most controversial part.  

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Definitely not. Nor for her to be called out of her name.

I'll double down on my UO. I thought the timing was fine. I doubt it would've made a difference if she asked a month from now. By then, it would be old news. I guarantee the pitchforks would still come out. 

I find it insane that Gayle's detractors think that Colorado shouldn't be mentioned at all. Regardless of where anyone stands on it, Colorado happened. And by happened, I mean that the case is public record. All of this can be easily googled, so it's not as if she brought up a rumor. 

That's how it goes when someone dies. The good and the bad are referenced. When Bill Clinton dies, Monica will most certainly be brought up. Let's see if Snoop, et al will have the same energy then. 

• Love 14
On 1/31/2020 at 2:44 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Massive UO regarding Fresh Prince of Bel Air:

I never hated the second Aunt Viv.

Nope, never. Maybe OG Aunt Viv was a bit tougher and cooler, but Aunt Viv 2.0 never bothered me, not even a little, and I think Daphne Maxwell Reid played the part as well as one could.

I'm not sure if I was still watching Fresh Prince  y the time they replace Aunt Viv, but I think a lot of my feelings for the replacement was "Cousin Oliver Syndrome". 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:42 PM, PennyPlain said:

I like the Pioneer Woman - have since her early blog days but I have learned to stay away from most forums or threads about her.  To put it mildly, she is disliked 😱!

I never understood the animus towards Pioneer Woman.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

I'll double down on my UO. I thought the timing was fine. I doubt it would've made a difference if she asked a month from now. By then, it would be old news. I guarantee the pitchforks would still come out. 

I totally agree with you.  She was doing an interview about his life (from what I understand anyway).  This was a major incident in his life.  The interviewee had every right not to answer if she didn't want to.  Even to say she didn't appreciate the question.  But unless they made an agreement before the interview began, GK had every right to ask the question.  It's a journalist's job to ask questions and not necessarily to skirt the tough ones.

I also think that it's OK for people to be upset by the question.  That's their right as living breathing human beings with emotions.  But, that doesn't give anybody the right to threaten anyone.

1 minute ago, Ubiquitous said:

I'm not sure if I was still watching Fresh Prince  y the time they replace Aunt Viv, but I think a lot of my feelings for the replacement was "Cousin Oliver Syndrome". 

I think little Nicky would have been the Cousin Oliver in that situation.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Yeah I don't get it either.  I don't watch her show very often but when I do it seems pretty innocuous.  There are other Food Channel personalities I find way more annoying than her (ahem Guy Fiero).  I've discovered the solution to not liking someone is not creating a website devoted to hating them it's not watching their show!  Problem solved 😀.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

1 hour ago, Beany Malone said:

Yeah I don't get it either.  I don't watch her show very often but when I do it seems pretty innocuous.  There are other Food Channel personalities I find way more annoying than her (ahem Guy Fiero).  I've discovered the solution to not liking someone is not creating a website devoted to hating them it's not watching their show!  Problem solved 😀.

It's her voice. I've never seen her show, I've only seen her when she's a judge on other FN shows, & her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. It's just a strange, nasal sounding thing & I do not like her.

• Love 3

I don't watch Pioneer Woman either, but I thought some of the animus was that she used stuff that wasn't at all pioneer-like, like marshmallow fluff and fake lime juice and canned beans and other lazy cooking.  Also that she is "Pioneer Woman" but was raised in country-club land and lived in LA before she married into a multi-million $$$$ family, so ALL the folksy-homey pioneer stuff is bullshit with rehashed recipes from the 50's.  Plus, I vaguely recall some talk of racism...against Asians? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, izabella said:

Also that she is "Pioneer Woman" but was raised in country-club land and lived in LA before she married into a multi-million $$$$ family, so

That's the kind of criticism I find really off base to be honest.  I read a big diatribe against her awhile ago saying in essence how dare she talk about making economical meals when she's rich.  If that's a valid critique of her show then most of the food network people need to start looking for another gig! PW as far as I've ever seen makes no effort to pretend she doesn't live a pretty sweet life - she buys buildings and turns them into stores and hotels for one thing! Aside from PW  Ina Garten and Giada are about the only ones I can think of offhand who don't make much effort to hide their privileged lifestyles!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

But that’s not Cousin Oliver Syndrome. That’s when a show hires a new cute little kid because the original ones got big and ugly. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I didn’t hate replacement Viv, but her recast was jarring.  She was just sooo different.  So it was hard to see her as Aunt Viv.

In tv tropes that is called ‘The Other Darrin’ named of course after the Darrin Stephens switcheroo on Bewitched.  Sometimes the sort of swap out recast works great sometimes it doesn’t.  Soaps ,of course, do it the most.

• Love 12

Pioneer Woman.

It's not the wealth, it's not the very conservative "values", it's not the way her family is (seemingly reluctantly) roped in -- it's the recipes.

Yeesh.  Everything is cans and jars and very processed, and for Oklahoma there is a surprising absence of MEAT, and I realized early on that her "recipes" were either written by the food companies or are salvaged from the ladies magazines of the fifties and sixties.

There is no acknowledgement of health, nutrition, or local food sourcing.  It's the 21rst century, dammit.

I do however like the kitchen porn.  Even though it is apparently the bunkhouse kitchen and not her private one, I love the space (and the cavernous pantry).  I want that kitchen, and the budge that supports it.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

The interviewee had every right not to answer if she didn't want to.  Even to say she didn't appreciate the question.  But unless they made an agreement before the interview began, GK had every right to ask the question.  It's a journalist's job to ask questions and not necessarily to skirt the tough ones.

This came up on The View the past 2 weeks with guests Rev Run and Jurnee Smollett.  Both were asked about their brothers' legal problems.  There was some talk that the questions were not appropriate but my contention was that it was the interviewer's job to ask while the guest had every right to refuse to answer.  That done, move along to the next question.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I do however like the kitchen porn.  Even though it is apparently the bunkhouse kitchen and not her private one, I love the space (and the cavernous pantry).  I want that kitchen, and the budge that supports it.

Yep, she makes no secret that she is not cooking in her own house, I forgot what they call the place but it's somewhere on the ranch.  And the ranch is the reason I've watched the show.  I don't want to own or live on a cattle ranch (well not since I was about 12 and horse mad) but I love the wide open spaces and the while having to drive to get anywhere would pall after a time I do envy that they have so much land.  When they show scenes of the sunsets and the vistas, wow.

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:43 PM, Ubiquitous said:

I find her intensely annoying and change the channel immediately upon spotting her presence.  But that's what tv remotes are for.

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 3:07 PM, izabella said:

I don't watch Pioneer Woman either, but I thought some of the animus was that she used stuff that wasn't at all pioneer-like, like marshmallow fluff and fake lime juice and canned beans and other lazy cooking.  Also that she is "Pioneer Woman" but was raised in country-club land and lived in LA before she married into a multi-million $$$$ family, so ALL the folksy-homey pioneer stuff is bullshit with rehashed recipes from the 50's.  Plus, I vaguely recall some talk of racism...against Asians? 

None of that helps any, imo.  Nor does the fact that her family comes from the part of Oklahoma which featured in the book Killers of the Flower Moon, but my suspicions about that are pure speculation so I'll leave it there.

It's mostly the voice, though.

• Love 1

They call the Drummond filming location "The Lodge".    You can actually book tours to drive out and look through the lodge, on certain days of the year.   According to the article I found, you buy tickets at the Merc.    They have a staff member to answer questions.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 2/12/2020 at 2:00 PM, proserpina65 said:

I find her intensely annoying and change the channel immediately upon spotting her presence.  But that's what tv remotes are for.

Yep.  I totally get not liking a TV personality or a show.  What I don't get are the people who go out of their way to create their own website to trash said TV personality or show.   You couldn't pay me to watch Diners, Drive Inns and Dives (well you could but it would have to be a LOT of money) but I don't care enough to try and influence anyone else not to watch and to spread mostly false stories about him!

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

Back a few pages (I think I am in the correct thread) there is talk about not liking Chrissy Teigen. I want with all my heart to not like Chrissy and John because they are so dumb and hypocritical about politics and social stuff but I stalk these two for every article, insta/twitter, tv show I can find. I love her push back, her ridiculousness, think she is beautiful, adore her annoying kids, love her jabs about John (they remind me of Lisa Vanderpump's jabs about her beloved Ken) when you know he is the love of her life and vice verse.  And as someone who cusses like a sailor (seriously, I had to stop and think if I could take my two granddaughters into the Sonic play area because the sign said profanity prohibited and well, I let go with the dammits when the duo doesn't listen) so I love that she cusses. They both crack me up and I look for that more than being annoyed with their politics/social views. 

To clarify that rambling paragraph my UO is that I adore Chrissy Teigen and John Legend.

I love them, too.  The final moment of their Superbowl commercial was hysterical.

• Love 3
On 2/10/2020 at 9:52 PM, kassygreene said:

Pioneer Woman.

It's not the wealth, it's not the very conservative "values", it's not the way her family is (seemingly reluctantly) roped in -- it's the recipes.

Yeesh.  Everything is cans and jars and very processed, and for Oklahoma there is a surprising absence of MEAT, and I realized early on that her "recipes" were either written by the food companies or are salvaged from the ladies magazines of the fifties and sixties.

There is no acknowledgement of health, nutrition, or local food sourcing.  It's the 21rst century, dammit.

So, after posting this screed I discovered Xfinity has the entire series (24 seasons and counting) On Demand.

🙄

By watching four per day, I can be caught up in three months.

And I can watch four per day because a) my On Demand allows fast forwarding, including the 8-9 minutes of commercials, and b), I do skip most of the non-cooking bits.

It's not all that bad, watched this way.

😲

Still a lot of butter, cheese, salt, and generally processed food.  But also mango margaritas. 

Her kids are the opposite of TV-precocious, her husband seems easy-going and enlightened (a ranch business didn't survive Mad Cow in the nineties if the people running it were fools), they don't constantly preach.  

(They aren't the Duggers?  Maybe that prejudice colored my initial viewing, as the Duggers were my first intro to home schooling.)

The Lodge is the guest house, not the bunkhouse (and that kitchen is still my definition of kitchen porn).  They do eat meat (with an interesting grill outside - I can't judge grills, because if it looks like an old oil can is part of the architecture, I recoil).

Still, for northeast Oklahoma, it is awfully white.

In brief, I post this generally apologetic note to acknowledge that a close examination of existing evidence can introduce nuance, welcome or not.

Ah, Nuance, Nuance (surely She is one of the Muses?); why dost Thou Tease, Tempt, Torment, and generally Torture me with Thine Shiny-ness?

• Love 2
On 2/16/2020 at 10:16 AM, Beany Malone said:

You couldn't pay me to watch Diners, Drive Inns and Dives (well you could but it would have to be a LOT of money) but I don't care enough to try and influence anyone else not to watch and to spread mostly false stories about him!

Speaking Guy Le Douche, I noticed some sort of celebrity basketball game on TV with him labelled being one of the coaches. Um, what? Ever stranger, his label described him as "Mayor of Flavortown". What the fuckity fuck? Is this a new self-appellation of his? 🙄

• LOL 3
56 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Ever stranger, his label described him as "Mayor of Flavortown". What the fuckity fuck? Is this a new self-appellation of his? 🙄

As he relates it (yes, I looked it up, because I knew "Flavortown" has been part of his shtick for a while, and wondered if there was an origin story), he used "Flavortown" in an episode of DD&D (he said a pizza looked like a manhole cover in Flavortown) and used "Flavortown" one-liners a few more times on the show, when it caught on with the audience, to the point people were sending him stuff with "Flavortown" on it and referencing it when they met him.  So it became his thing, I guess, as from my internet search it appears to now be a meme, he uses it on social media, he uses it on multiple shows, etc.  Ugh.  Anyway, here's a short article on the subject from The Wrap

On 2/10/2020 at 10:52 PM, kassygreene said:

Pioneer Woman.

I've used a few Pioneer Woman recipes and I've always liked them. Her pizza crust is the best crust I've ever made (and I love her roasted eggplant and tomato pizza). Also her broccoli cheese soup. I've not noticed ingredients coming from cans or jars except normal stuff like honey or soy sauce. I mean I don't watch the show on a regular basis so maybe her recipes on the show are different. But the ones on her website are usually pretty good.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I literally have no idea what a Pioneer Woman is. 

A cooking program that one would imagine would be more entertaining and educational than it actually is upon viewing, IMO.

• LOL 1