Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, cleo said:

The David/Patrick pairing is half of why I stopped watching Schitt's Creek.

The David/Stevie pairing just had so much amazing chemistry and it was so much fun to watch. The David/Patrick pairing had so much less chemistry and was also pretty boring. I didn't stop watching but it made me fast forward through some sections.

Yet another one: that, based on how well Patricia Arquette and Joey King worked together on Hulu's The Act (as Dee Dee Blanchard and Gypsy Rose Blanchard respectively), I'm of the strong opinion that Patricia and Joey are this era's Karl Malden and Michael Douglas (Patricia being the Malden, Joey being the Douglas); Patricia even vouched for Joey on the last Emmys, saying that Joey is very generous and kind to everyone she (Joey) works with.

Edited by bmasters9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

My unpopular opinion is that I thought it was creepy and shitty of Ross to tell Rachel he would get the annulment taken care of, didn't do it but told her he did, then tried to manipulate her into being in a relationship with him. And I think Rachel storming into one of his lectures and yelling at him and then lying on the annulment papers was entirely okay and I would have done so much worse than her if I found out a man had forced me to stay married to him for months. I don't think Ross not wanting to be divorced for a third time makes what he did understandable at all.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, slf said:

My unpopular opinion is that I thought it was creepy and shitty of Ross to tell Rachel he would get the annulment taken care of, didn't do it but told her he did, then tried to manipulate her into being in a relationship with him.

Does anybody not think this?

• Love 16
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:06 AM, Katy M said:

Does anybody not think this?

Idk, maybe some of those "Ross & Rachel are meant to be together forever" people, but I'd think even they would say that the annulment thing was out of bounds.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

It warms the cockles of my icy heart to see Ross and Rachel's relationship being scrutinized and questioned nowadays. I always thought they were a shitty couple, but I'm glad others are starting to recognize it as well.

God, I'm the worst...

Your not the worse. I liked the couple at first and was happy the first time they started dating. But after awhile it became clear they didn't have anything in common and really shouldn't be together. All that followed after the break up made it more clear. The crappy way they treated each other, and who ever the other dated. They were both horrible and really didn't get any better. 

• Love 12

I haaaate when a character repeats the same word 20 times in a sentence. It's supposed to be funny/quirky and a lot of popular tv writers and producers (like Joss Whedon) do that; I recall several such lines in BtVS that were big hits but for me it's painful to listen to. "He gave me the potato but I didn't want the potato so I tried to give him back the potato but he wouldn't take the potato and Sarah said she wanted the potato but he didn't want her to have the potato, it was a whole big potato thing." (I kinda wish there was a thread for dialogue because there are a few of these I'd love to bitch about.)

Edited by slf
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, slf said:

I haaaate when a character repeats the same word 20 times in a sentence. It's supposed to be funny/quirky and a lot of popular tv writers and producers (like Joss Whedon) do that

The Goldbergs does this ALL the time and it is annoying AF. They will argue about something and say the specific name of it like "I told you to stop playing with the Stretch Armstrong." I wasn't playing with the Stretch Armstrong." "I saw you playing with the Stretch Armstrong. It is my Stretch Armstrong so stop playing with MY Stretch Armstrong!" etc etc. All I can think is they didn't have enough material for that ep and had to fill in the entire run time with something so they just had the actors say the same thing over and over in slightly different ways until they used up the allotted time. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

The Goldbergs does this ALL the time and it is annoying AF. They will argue about something and say the specific name of it like "I told you to stop playing with the Stretch Armstrong." I wasn't playing with the Stretch Armstrong." "I saw you playing with the Stretch Armstrong. It is my Stretch Armstrong so stop playing with MY Stretch Armstrong!" etc etc. All I can think is they didn't have enough material for that ep and had to fill in the entire run time with something so they just had the actors say the same thing over and over in slightly different ways until they used up the allotted time. 

Awww, I thought the Stretch Armstrong conversation was funny.  Different strokes and all, I guess.

Ditto Friends being bland! I always wonder if I’ve just caught the bad episodes, and then I give the show another chance because everyone I know loves the show. I don’t get it. If I watch TV, I either like to learn something, get lost in drama, laugh my butt off, drool over sexy guys, or girl crush over glamorous women. Friends didn’t really deliver any of the above for my personal tastes. 

• Love 4
On 11/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, slf said:

I haaaate when a character repeats the same word 20 times in a sentence. It's supposed to be funny/quirky and a lot of popular tv writers and producers (like Joss Whedon) do that; I recall several such lines in BtVS that were big hits but for me it's painful to listen to. "He gave me the potato but I didn't want the potato so I tried to give him back the potato but he wouldn't take the potato and Sarah said she wanted the potato but he didn't want her to have the potato, it was a whole big potato thing." (I kinda wish there was a thread for dialogue because there are a few of these I'd love to bitch about.)

Amy Sherman-Palladino and Aaron Sorkin write dialogue like this all the time. Amy's scripts for Gilmore GIrls were said to be 60 pages longer than the script for an average hourlong drama, just because there were so many words crammed in there, probably a lot of them repetitious!

• Love 5

There's a development in the Mandalorian show. I like it. Yes, it's cute. But pure cuteness doesn't do it for me. It's interesting, and I want to see where it goes. I'm just not going mental over it like the rest of the internet.

• Love 3
On 11/20/2019 at 1:48 PM, Minneapple said:

Amy Sherman-Palladino and Aaron Sorkin write dialogue like this all the time. Amy's scripts for Gilmore GIrls were said to be 60 pages longer than the script for an average hourlong drama, just because there were so many words crammed in there, probably a lot of them repetitious!

Aaron Sorkin (when I love, mostly) is horrible for this. 

• Love 1
On 11/20/2019 at 6:48 PM, Minneapple said:

Also Shonda Rhimes - the circular, repetitive monologuing in Grey's Anatomy drove me mad, back when I was still watching. So very many monologues, mostly repeating the same point over and over, sometimes slightly reworded, but usually the exact same phrasing, over and over again. Real people don't talk like that!

• Love 7
On 11/18/2019 at 10:23 PM, slf said:

So create one! "Memorable Dialogue: The Good, The Bad and the Repetitious".

Personally I love stylized dialogue. Want your characters to speak in iambic pentameter? Long beautifully emoted monologues? Bursts of staccato rhythm? Go for it! If I wanted to hear everyday speech I'd just go to a public forum and eavesdrop. If I'm watching comedy or drama or genre I want to experience the wonderful breadth and depth of the spoken word. Show me what you got, writers!

• Love 10

I don't have Disney+/watch the Mandalorian but this article makes me feel seen.

https://screencrush.com/best-part-of-the-mandalorian-episode-3/

The Mandalorian’s release structure is strikingly different from anything by Netflix, Disney’s primary competitor in the streaming space. With just a handful of exceptions, Netflix dumps entire seasons of their shows online all at once — and most of their dramas (and even some of their comedies) are 60-minutes long without commercials, meaning they require a major time commitment. Sometimes I talk myself out of even starting a season of a Netflix show just because they are so freaking long — both in terms of the number of episodes, and in terms of the length of each individual installment. The Mandalorian is so easy to fit into a busy schedule. I’ve rewatched episodes on a whim just because they’re so short.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for all the positives there are for instant content and binge watching, there are downsides and it's not the be all and end all.  Plus, you can't replicate the anticipation of appointment weekly watching.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Miss Dee said:

Personally I love stylized dialogue. Want your characters to speak in iambic pentameter? Long beautifully emoted monologues? Bursts of staccato rhythm? Go for it! If I wanted to hear everyday speech I'd just go to a public forum and eavesdrop. If I'm watching comedy or drama or genre I want to experience the wonderful breadth and depth of the spoken word. Show me what you got, writers!

Spartacus had excellent stylized dialogue. 

"Put thought to purpose."

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree with never liking A Christmas Carol, and I never liked It's a Wonderful Life either.  

I actively hate Its a Wonderful Life.  There is so much wrong with that movie starting from the initial premise.  The townspeople of Bedford Falls did not deserve George Bailey, and the movies resolution does not change this.  They might have pitched in some money to save George from prison, but they will continue to use him.  And don't get me started on the alternate Mary plot.  

• Love 17
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree with never liking A Christmas Carol, and I never liked It's a Wonderful Life either.    I also can't stand A Christmas Story.  

I do not like any of those movies either. I might be able to tolerate The Muppets Christmas Carol, but even that is pushing it. I will also, add I do not like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman or anything Charlie Brown. I know, I am the worst. I am just not really a fan of any of the classic or beloved holiday movies. Some I just do not like and some I have seen too many times, so I started disliking them.

10 hours ago, GaT said:

Ah, but have you ever seen Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol? Complete with awesome songs, my absolute favorite. 

That one remains the best.  I watched the trailer for the new FX (?) production of A Christmas Carol and in one clip they show Scrooge paying Mrs Cratchit for sex.  Really?  That's one version for which I'll take a pass.

I absolutely despise the Rudolph cartoon.  (My annual rant)  Santa announces Christmas is cancelled because he can't deliver toys.  Is that really the message for children?  That without toys there can be no Christmas?

• Love 2
On 10/17/2019 at 2:27 AM, Neurochick said:

I don't know if this would be considered a UO but I wish that show runners and fans (like myself sometimes) would get that there are shows that can run for 5-7 seasons, shows that can run for maybe 2-3 seasons and shows that should only run one season.   

I feel that way about Revenge. I loved the first season and most of the second. But I stopped watching halfway through the third season. I wish they had just kept it to one or two seasons.  

• Love 8
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:30 PM, kathyk2 said:

Unpopular Opinion regarding Law and Order CI. I don't think Captain Ross was a jerk for discipling Goren. Deakins would have done the same thing if he was still the boss.

Exactly.  His actions merited being disciplined.

3 hours ago, selkie said:

It seems like the right time and place for an annual discussion of whether 'Die Hard' is actually the greatest Christmas movie of all time.

How is that even a question?

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, Miss Dee said:

It depends on the kind of show, but in general, if it's not a period piece, I want the characters to sound like real people.

5 hours ago, ABay said:

A Christmas Carol is the only Dickens I can tolerate. 

A Muppet Christmas Carol is pretty good, but the 1951 Alastair Sim is the gold standard for me.

I also like A Tale of Two Cities, but that's it for Dickens.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

That one remains the best.  I watched the trailer for the new FX (?) production of A Christmas Carol and in one clip they show Scrooge paying Mrs Cratchit for sex.  Really?  That's one version for which I'll take a pass.

Um, what????? Tiny Tim's MOM?????????

Lack of Gratuitously Nude Sex Scenes was my punk disco band in undergrad. We sold out the Palladium in Worcester.

The funny thing is that I actually like watching Dickens miniseries. I thought Bleak House was riveting and darkly humorous. Something about Christmas Carol I can't get into. It's like overly Dickens if that makes sense.

Although I can't say anyone can come up with character names like Dickens though. I mean, Tulkinghorn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

Ye gods.  Who thought this was a good idea?  Action adventure Christmas Carol, now with more prostitution?

Victorian London could be a whole lot dirtier and nastier even than we tend to envision it, but yeesh.

Agree! Dickens's Scrooge was villainous enough (and had made life miserable for the struggling Cratchit  family via Mr. Cratchit's starvation wages and impossible hours).  Dickens knew how to write about women who had been taken advantage by unscrupulous men (e.g. Oliver Twist's Nancy, David Copperfield's Little Em'ly,etc.) so had he wanted to have Scrooge prey on poor,overburdened Mrs. Cratchit, he would have!  It seemed Dickens believed Scrooge was simply too old to have  been capable of having any kind of sexual activity regardless of scruples. Nope, I'm not watching this! 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Agree! Dickens's Scrooge was villainous enough (and had made life miserable for the struggling Cratchit  family via Mr. Cratchit's starvation wages and impossible hours).  Dickens knew how to write about women who had been taken advantage by unscrupulous men (e.g. Oliver Twist's Nancy, David Copperfield's Little Em'ly,etc.) so had he wanted to have Scrooge prey on poor,overburdened Mrs. Cratchit, he would have!  It seemed Dickens believed Scrooge was simply too old to have  been capable of having any kind of sexual activity regardless of scruples. Nope, I'm not watching this! 

2 hours ago, auntlada said:

I don't think Scrooge would have been willing to pay in any case.

Also Dickens would probably know very well that he couldn't redeem a guy who'd been raping his employee's wife with a Christmas goose and a change in attitude.

• Love 9