Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I find Vincent D'Onofrio incredibly overrated as an actor, and find his line readings on Daredevil flat and a little bit goofy.

He is the entire reason I could never watch L&O: Criminal Intent, even though I love Kathryn Erbe and Courtney B. Vance.  He and James Spader have that same "quirky/smartest guy in the room" acting style that sets my teeth on edge.

• Love 8

I dislike him also, he's one of those actors whose voice and delivery make my skin crawl. Another is Joaquim (shudder) Phoenix.

Dick Wolf of Law & Order fame is a hack and always has been

,Michael Moriarty would agree with you. I don't recall the details but he left L&O after a big spat with "Wolf the Dick" as he memorably called him.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Marsupial said:

Michael Moriarty would agree with you.

He's such a good actor and I've always liked him, but his agreement probably isn't good for my side. He's had a lot of alcohol and paranoia problems, and I remember seeing a Dateline or 20/20 story about him a few years back where he was living in Vancouver BC and occasionally homeless. I think he's gotten things together since then (it seems like he's been working more recently), but it was a pretty sad interview.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

My UO is that Dick Wolf of Law & Order fame is a hack and always has been. He had a few okay years with original recipe L&O, but he clearly ran out of ideas about 15 years before that series was cancelled.

Wolf decided, as soon as he got the opportunity, to just franchise everything he did and milk every last dollar from it.  He just traded in L&O to do Chicago Med/Fire/etc.,  which is just a ploy to have a generic fire, cop, medical, etc. show as part of the same umbrella.  I think one of the pilots for next year is a fourth variation.  I think it was law.

Rhimes, as the other example of this network/producer partnership, at least tries to have an original concept not in the same universe of every other show she produces even if most of them are mostly terrible at this point.

• Love 4

I don't know if she's "widely loved" or not, and I don't know what it is about her, but every time I see Blake Lively, I just have the urge to punch her in the face.

• Love 1

I was always mostly indifferent to Blake Lively until a year or so ago, when she made some blog post on her crappy lifestyle site that no one gave a shit about and eventually she shut down (I think she was trying to replicate Paltrow and her crappy Goop website). The post was basically about how the fashion and family lifestyle of the Antebellum South was so beautiful and quaint and whatever other pretentious bullshit she spewed. Yeah except for that whole slavery thing happening at the time, which is what I believe Gawker pointed out. Basically they wrote an article calling the post tone deaf and insensitive. Honestly, no one even really knew about this because again, no one was reading Lively's site. That was until she had her lawyers send a letter to Gawker threatening them with libel because they called her racist and demanding they take the post down.

So naturally Gawker went public with this and all it showed was how out of touch, clueless and entitled she is. By the way, at no point did Gawker call Blake a racist, they just highlighted many parts of the blog they found out of touch and insensitive. That Blake's response to this was to send a threatening lawyer letter was so clueless in my opinion. So it was fine for her to write her crappy blog but Gawker doesn't have the freedom of speech to say, "uh I find this blog post kind of offensive and here's why." Needless to say once this got traction thanks to her stupid lawyer letter and people started calling her out, she apologized for if the post offended anyone and backtracked on that stupid legal action she was threatening. 

• Love 3

I don't know why this popped into my head today, but it did - I always HATED Erik from True Blood.  Couldn't stand him at all, never found him attractive, and strongly preferred (the much derided) Bill Compton.  But then again, Sookie always annoyed the shit out of me too.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I was always mostly indifferent to Blake Lively until a year or so ago, when she made some blog post on her crappy lifestyle site that no one gave a shit about and eventually she shut down (I think she was trying to replicate Paltrow and her crappy Goop website). The post was basically about how the fashion and family lifestyle of the Antebellum South was so beautiful and quaint and whatever other pretentious bullshit she spewed. Yeah except for that whole slavery thing happening at the time, which is what I believe Gawker pointed out. Basically they wrote an article calling the post tone deaf and insensitive. Honestly, no one even really knew about this because again, no one was reading Lively's site. That was until she had her lawyers send a letter to Gawker threatening them with libel because they called her racist and demanding they take the post down.

So naturally Gawker went public with this and all it showed was how out of touch, clueless and entitled she is. By the way, at no point did Gawker call Blake a racist, they just highlighted many parts of the blog they found out of touch and insensitive. That Blake's response to this was to send a threatening lawyer letter was so clueless in my opinion. So it was fine for her to write her crappy blog but Gawker doesn't have the freedom of speech to say, "uh I find this blog post kind of offensive and here's why." Needless to say once this got traction thanks to her stupid lawyer letter and people started calling her out, she apologized for if the post offended anyone and backtracked on that stupid legal action she was threatening. 

That's an interesting story.  I know very little about her, just that she's married to Ryan Reynolds and was on some TV show? I hadn't read that Gawker story either, but there's just something about her face that makes me want to rearrange it.  Guess I had intuition or something. : )

• Love 4

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion so much as it's a pet peeve of mine. I grew up in the day when a TV show's "season" was 22-24 episodes long, which began about September and ended in May or June, with three months of reruns to follow. So I always equate a "season" with a "year." But nowadays, a "season" can be as little as six episodes, and when I hear about some show being on its 20th (or whatever) season, it throws me, because I'm like, "no way has that show been on for 20 years." Maybe the Brits have it right when they refer to each season as a "series."

• Love 13
(edited)
On 5/2/2016 at 0:46 AM, selkie said:

We've been binge-watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show the past few months- dates in some ways but still often quite funny. My unpopular opinion is that the episode where Ted gets married is not only hilarious but a lot better than the iconic 'Death of Chuckles' episode. Chuckles had its moments, but the wedding- finally getting Ted to make it official with Georgette, letting Sue Ann really shine in her element, and early John Ritter as the tennis-playing minister... there are no lulls in the entire so very strong episode.

"Bride on my forehand, groom on my backhand."  The line was something like that?  While he gestured with a tennis racket?  Hilarious.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3
On 5/2/2016 at 7:25 PM, galax-arena said:

I don't understand all the fuss over the Supernatural boys' looks. IMO Jared Padelecki looks like a Neanderthal and Jensen Ackles might be technically handsome, but only in the sense that he resembles a bland Disney prince. 

I agree about Jensen Ackles.  I read something once where Jared Padalecki was referred to as "ewok-faced" and I always found that to be the perfect descriptor for him.

On 5/2/2016 at 8:08 PM, ganesh said:

Complaining about rape on Outlander (of women or men) seems futile to me. The main character goes back in time and is nearly raped within 5 minutes in the first episode. I think the show established what kind of show we were going to be watching. It's hard to watch, but I think they've played fair with the viewers. I certainly don't like it, but that's the show.

I'll agree with that and will extend it to any scifi/fantasy show or period drama. I'm baffled when people get upset or pissed off that aliens in another galaxy or vikings or 16th century aristocrats or magical beings in fantastical realms don't act and think in a manner consistent with 21st century western values and morals, either of the conservative Christian or social justice warrior variety, depending on the views of the complainer.

• Love 6
(edited)

At the same time, I think it's dumb when people defend rape in period dramas by saying, "BUT REALISM!" Dysentery was popular back in the day too - and GRRM didn't hesitate to include it in ASOIAF - but you don't see D&D in a hurry to incorporate explosive diarrhea into GOT. "But realism!" is a selectively applied cop-out. 

I think there's also a difference between acknowledging that the world back then was different, and handwaving characters' actions in-universe as a result. Not to mention a difference between whether the in-universe narrative buys into rape culture versus whether the meta narrative does. I'm a lot more tolerant of the former than the latter. Back during the first season of Black Sails, there was a bit of controversy when some people got annoyed that other viewers were criticizing characters like Vane and his pirates for raping and brutalizing Max. (Well, Vane didn't rape her, I think, but he gave her over to his crew.) "This is 17th century Nassau! It's a dangerous world! Max knew what she was getting into!" Well yes. I am perfectly aware that sexual violence was incredibly commonplace back then, and that where Max, a prostitute, was concerned, it was simply a matter of when and not if she'd be abused. And I expected to see sexual violence on the show. But that didn't make Vane or his crew's actions/behavior in-universe okay. Sexual violence was more accepted because women were often considered less than nothing, but why should that mean that I have to adopt that attitude in order to judge Vane's behavior in-universe?  And heck, the show itself was even presenting it as a Bad Thing. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 17

No, it's not ok, but that didn't have much to do with the fundamental premise of my comment. None of that is really a UO anyway. 

I'm not defending rape by saying "realism". I'm talking about how Outlander established what kind of show it was going to be very quickly and has been consistent about it throughout, and really it was about BJR mostly, so when the S1 finale rolled around he wasn't OOC. Certainly none of us condoned that nor Jamie beating Claire, and Claire sure dispelled any notion that was going to be common practice. The main point was that the show is playing fair with the audience.

We're not talking about the lazy trope of using rape to "give women" challenges. Which isn't a UO either. 

• Love 1

I continue with my Sleepy Hollow bafflement.  Its a long running tradition with me.

I admit I'm a casual viewer.  I usually binge watch a few episodes to catch up when a deeply unsatisfied poster has to relate their trauma in a completely unrelated forum. I then go the opposite way.  Best show ever and I'm meh on it.  Worst drivel ever and I'm meh on it.  I have no extremes with Sleepy Hollow.  Its ok but not appointment TV.

So, I watched the finale, and I dare not post over there.  I don't get it.  For a show that has never been written all that well, it seemed like a decent send off for the character relative to the show's capabilities. Damning with faint praise, but I was expecting a travesty.  I feel like I'm missing some backstage dramatics and shipper stuff that is being sublimated into reaction to the finale.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I feel like I'm missing some backstage dramatics and shipper stuff that is being sublimated into reaction to the finale.

I'm responding directly to this, just to clear. Apparently, the actor wasn't treated well, and it's fair to say that she was a strong lead who was marginalized somewhat in S2, and being a person of color didn't sit well with a lot of people. Which is fair. So her wanting to leave and having the character killed off ticked a lot of people off. I don't see how else they could have done it. Abbie wasn't just going to walk off into the sunset, and taking down a literal god was a big way to go. 

The discussion thread, however, is dominated by the ship. Oh, they're bring donuts and making coffee! OTP lurve!!! So definitely they were all figuratively and maybe even literally livid that the ship canonically had died. That most certainly sublimated into reaction to the finale for sure. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

So, I watched the finale, and I dare not post over there.  I don't get it.  For a show that has never been written all that well, it seemed like a decent send off for the character relative to the show's capabilities. Damning with faint praise, but I was expecting a travesty.  I feel like I'm missing some backstage dramatics and shipper stuff that is being sublimated into reaction to the finale.

Any show is going to get blowback from fans if they kill off a popular lead character.  That is just facts.  How the person is killed off, then, is what further characterizes the tenor that anger takes.

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but a fair amount of anger at the finale wasn't just because she was killed off,  but because in the end the importance of her character was diminished as nothing but a vessel used to carry Ichabod on his journey.  Her death became all about him, not about her at all.

Since a lot of the WOC female viewers began watching the show because Abbie was a WOC female lead her importance to the narrative was important to us on many levels. The anger isn't just about shipping that so many people seem to want to dismissively reduce it to.  It has to do with representation and how disposable marginalized people are to any show they are a part of. 

I also think a big element of it has to do with betrayal.  Since apparently the writers knew they were going to kill her off, their reassurances throughout season 3 toward the Abbie fans now seem disingenuous.  A lot of the things the showrunners did with the Lexa character on The 100 mirror what the writers did with Abbie on Sleepy Hollow.

And finally the writing just sucked.  If you are going to kill off a character like Abbie make it fucking epic.  Don't do it with the umpteenth self-sacrifice.  Yawn. She's done that twice before already.  You build her up for three seasons as a warrior and you kill her by making her sit down next to a box.  Sure, that works.

• Love 20

I think the initial comment was also referring to the tenor of the forums which was *smothered* in the ship, as well as, it's a fun show, but it's not super great writing so to suddenly expect TPTBs to go super epic with Abbie's exit was asking too much. I'm not shipper and the criticisms of her characterization are accurate from what I've watched. For this site, there's the overwhelming ship aspect added to it. 

Since apparently the writers knew they were going to kill her off, their reassurances throughout season 3 toward the Abbie fans now seem disingenuous.

How many times have we said this? DON'T listen to TPTBs. Like the Doctor, they *lie*. I had no idea Abbie was actually dead until the show ended. I thought she was only mostly dead. 

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I continue with my Sleepy Hollow bafflement.  Its a long running tradition with me.

I admit I'm a casual viewer.  I usually binge watch a few episodes to catch up when a deeply unsatisfied poster has to relate their trauma in a completely unrelated forum. I then go the opposite way.  Best show ever and I'm meh on it.  Worst drivel ever and I'm meh on it.  I have no extremes with Sleepy Hollow.  Its ok but not appointment TV.

I stopped visiting any Sleepy Hollow fan sites.  I really enjoyed the show for the most part (large chunks of season 2 notwithstanding), but I found I just couldn't deal with the 'shouting' on various message boards.  And I had no problem with the season 3 finale, especially if it ends up being the series finale.  I thought Abbie's death was perfectly in character for her.

Edited to clarify that the 'shouting' came from more than one side, and all of those involved had the right to express their opinions.  It was all just too much for me so I quit reading any fan boards for SH.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2016 at 7:59 PM, orza said:

I'll agree with that and will extend it to any scifi/fantasy show or period drama. I'm baffled when people get upset or pissed off that aliens in another galaxy or vikings or 16th century aristocrats or magical beings in fantastical realms don't act and think in a manner consistent with 21st century western values and morals, either of the conservative Christian or social justice warrior variety, depending on the views of the complainer.

SJWs are never going to understand or accept historical context. They want to dictate what people create and how they should create it so it adheres to their repressive world view.

11 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I also think a big element of it has to do with betrayal.  Since apparently the writers knew they were going to kill her off, their reassurances throughout season 3 toward the Abbie fans now seem disingenuous.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

How many times have we said this? DON'T listen to TPTBs. Like the Doctor, they *lie*. 

My UO is that the only thing TPTB owe viewers is the story they want to tell. They're under no obligation to me except to tell an entertaining story. And if it stops being entertaining, I stop watching. It's only TV.

• Love 7

My UO is that the only thing TPTB owe viewers is the story they want to tell. They're under no obligation to me except to tell an entertaining story. And if it stops being entertaining, I stop watching. It's only TV.

Completely agree. The only thing showrunners are obligated to do is to tell a story. If that story sucks then I'm not watching. Viewers don't deserve anything, but then, if I'm not getting a good story, then the show doesn't deserve my viewership either. I actually thought of all this during the Lexa debacle on The 100. Normally I'd sympathize with the Clexa fans, because I too like all kinds of diversity on my shows. But oh my god, the "Clexa fans deserve better" complaints really got to me. No, you don't deserve better, and if you don't like it, your most powerful tool is the remote. 

• Love 6

I don't pay attention to what TPTBs say either and ignore them and just watch the show. My viewing experience is far better imo. The problem is TPTBs insert themselves all over the place talking about the show, and it's constantly reported in the threads, all over my FB feed, etc. I do my best, but it's hard to avoid to be fair.

On the other hand, just don't seek it out. TPTBs lie. They can really be their own worst advocates for a show. 

The only funny thing was that no one involved with GOT was even pretending Jon Snow was dead. They were all like, "we're all excited for season six!"

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/5/2016 at 8:15 PM, galax-arena said:

but you don't see D&D in a hurry to incorporate explosive diarrhea into GOT. "But realism!" is a selectively applied cop-out. 

Late to the party, but allow me to introduce you to FATAL.

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml

(Review NSFW but only text; game seemingly NSF life or sanity. And man, I assumed D&D was the game...)

Edited by Kate the Great
  • Love 1
(edited)

All I know is that the day Howard Stern goes, I will legitimately cry like I knew the man. I almost feel like I do; I hear his voice more often than I hear those of my relatives! And I do not look forward one bit to saying goodbye to Stephen King! I will take a day off work for either one of them, I swear!

In the interest of full disclosure, I cried a little at Prince, Paul Walker, and most of all, Joey Ramone.

I agree about Jensen Ackles.  I read something once where Jared Padalecki was referred to as "ewok-faced" and I always found that to be the perfect descriptor for him.

He has a cat-butt mouth. So does Ryan Reynolds!

But hey everybody's got a type. I've always had a weird thing for Steven Tyler.

Rob Zombie. And Christopher Meloni. And Louis CK. Because they all look so very similar, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 6:17 AM, Haleth said:

This bugs me too.  Apparently we have a whole generation of baby girls named Khaleesi now.

"...and these are my children; Pope, Tyrant, Empress, and Warlord."

• Love 7

I just finished watching season 2 of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and I have to admit, I honestly got more and more annoyed with the character and Ellie Kemper as the show went on. I can't even put my finger on why the character annoys the shit out of me.

1 minute ago, Virginia Plain said:

I just finished watching season 2 of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and I have to admit, I honestly got more and more annoyed with the character and Ellie Kemper as the show went on. I can't even put my finger on why the character annoys the shit out of me.

I ate up season one but can't seem to get pass episode 4 of season 2. I am not sure if Kimmy/Ellie are solely to blame though.

2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I ate up season one but can't seem to get pass episode 4 of season 2. I am not sure if Kimmy/Ellie are solely to blame though.

I started to think about the show more after I posted that and although I watched 2 seasons of it relatively quickly, I really don't think it's that good of a show!

Corny isn't quite the right word, but something about it just feels "off." It feels like a SNL sketch that's gone on for way too long at times. I can see why people would get annoyed with characters Titus or Lucille, but I think they're the highlights of the show. The more I think about it the more I hate certain parts of the show. 

Maybe I've just reached peak Tina Fey?

• Love 1

Wow, I did not know that at all about Blake Lively and Preserve.  That's fascinating.  I wonder if that's one of the reasons why Leighton Meester and Blake don't get along - how insensitive and out of touch she must be!

7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Wow, I did not know that at all about Blake Lively and Preserve.  That's fascinating.  I wonder if that's one of the reasons why Leighton Meester and Blake don't get along - how insensitive and out of touch she must be!

I'm pretty sure they hated each other for a significant portion of Gossip Girl.  Most of that BTS has thankfully fled my brain but I remember it seemingly like BL was a diva.  So likely not a cause of the rift but a general example of character.

I like to forget about Gossip Girl.  But Chuck and Serena were both characters I loathed.

• Love 1

I've never particularly liked Emma Swan on OUAT but she's becoming intolerable for me now. A lot of it is Jennifer Morrison's bad acting but now she has gone overboard with the botox, cosmetic fillers and soft-focus camera filters. Her big emotional scenes fall flat because her face barely moves at all so she tries to compensate by opening her eyes really wide and talking as fast as she can in a whispery voice. Really, really annoying and takes me out of the scene every time.

• Love 5

I've disliked Jennifer Morrison's acting since I first saw her in House. Really affected and fake to me. I even find her appearance to be off-putting -- not sure why because objectively she's an attractive person, but the harsh blond dye job doesn't help. Watched a few episodes of Once Upon a Time during the first season but gave up because she had such a prominent role.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm pretty sure they hated each other for a significant portion of Gossip Girl.  Most of that BTS has thankfully fled my brain but I remember it seemingly like BL was a diva.  So likely not a cause of the rift but a general example of character.

Right, " a general example of character" that's what I meant.  Like if THAT'S the kind of person Blake is, it makes sense to me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I do not believe the Great British Baking Show is the best thing ever! I think it's foot-dragging, boring, and lacks tension. I am weary of every other competitive cooking show being compared unfavorably to it.

• Love 4

I don't know if I blame the internet, but a lot of people definitely don't actually watch tv shows. I can't count how many times I've read "I fast forwarded through this scene and that scene, now I'm going to complain about the show even though I missed huge plot points."

Or, ffs, we were talking about this on Outlander yesterday. Someone was complaining about something and it didn't seem like they even were watching, because the answer to their question was patently obvious. 

Negativity tends to dominate the internet as it is, so it's not a surprise that it leaks into tv discussions. I have to say, this place is leaps and bounds over the other. Just about all the shows I post in are mostly talking about the show. 

• Love 5

Or the people who only post about how they didn't watch the show.   ????   If you watched it and disliked it, then swing away.  But if you didn't watch it, why bother to check in?  Life's too short to fixate on what you ignore by choice.

My UO is that I'm getting so pissed at having to scroll past this stuff, that I'm thinking about doing it myself.  Just go to some popular show that I don't watch and post about not watching it.

• Love 15
(edited)

I'm quite blissfully ignorant of much of the "behind the scenes" stuff going on because I don't seek it out any more (haven't in a very long time).  So, when I was going through the  Sleepy Hollow forums over the past couple of days after learning that it was coming back for season 4, I was glad that I didn't have that kind of ire because I know nothing about whether or not the producers are lying or NB is lying or Tom Mison is lying about what happened and why.  I'm sad to lose Abby and I hope that the negative things being said are being blown out of proportion, because if they are true, then that's kind of depressing. Anyway, she was a wonderful, strong, black, female lead and the chemistry between her and Tom Mison was off the charts (although, I wasn't an shipper), so I do wish they'd have found a way to keep NB and her character around.  I, also know that the show will be very different, but I like the other characters and actors and am interested to see where it goes from here.  So, I guess my unpopular opinions are:  I could not care less about what happens behind the scenes of my shows* and I will be tuning back into Sleepy Hollow in the fall.

*Also, if they are going to ignore overwhelmingly common compliments/complaints/suggestions from their viewers and the show drops far enough in numbers that it gets canceled, then they only have themselves to blame.  But, I'm not going to pray for a show to get canceled--my husband was in the industry for 10 years and we still have friends in the industry and cancellations can hurt a lot of people.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

I think seeking all the outside stuff is a detriment to the viewing experience. TPTBs use social media, etc., way way way too much as a crutch for not putting together a complete show. 

Like, after a really awesome Game of Thrones last night, they went right to a show where TPTBs were talking about the show. You don't have to tell me what I saw and what I should think about it. I just watched it, thanks. 

• Love 11

I hate it when shows "live-tweet".  With a couple of shows I watch, my Twitter feed is cluttered with tweets from cast members, directors, producers, and the network.  Frequently re-tweeting each other.  So even though I cut back only to the show itself, I get hundreds of tweets in the hour that the show is airing.  All that makes me do is scroll past, no matter how interesting the info might be.

I never should have signed up for Twitter in the first place, but what's done is done, I suppose.

• Love 5

I think it's not so much seeking stuff out, but keeping it all in perspective. Sometimes some of their thoughts and comments can be fun or interesting and there's some writers and producers I enjoy hearing from because they're just interesting people, IMO. But, just because TPTB say stuff, doesn't mean I have to believe it. It's art; which is in the eye of the beholder, IMO.

I do have a particular annoyance with TPTB using those after-shows to fill in the blanks of what they didn't put on-screen. And, I think it would be smarter for some of these people to step away from the social media. I think it can muddy the waters for some writers and producers.

• Love 14