Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I am currently watching Daredevil season 2, and, although I am liking this season even better than the first, I can tell that I hold the unpopular opinion of not liking Elektra.

I am with you. I really enjoyed season two, more than season one. I also did not like Elektra either. I thought I would like her going into the season, but ended up not liking her. My UO would be that I liked Karen in both season one and two. I did not always like all her actions, but I understood them. I liked her more than Claire, who seemed to get a lot of love, especially in the first season.

• Love 1

My UO would be that I liked Karen in both season one and two. I did not always like all her actions, but I understood them. I liked her more than Claire, who seemed to get a lot of love, especially in the first season.

I like Karen but am a bigger fan of Claire's.

• Love 1

I liked her [Karen] more than Claire, who seemed to get a lot of love, especially in the first season.

I've already shared this uo, but I just wanted to reiterate it because I always feel like I am literally the only one so I like to see others agree! 

I found s1 of Daredevil boring and I didn't really care about/like any of the main characters but I was excited for s2 anyway for some reason. But then I sat down to watch the first ep and was SO bored I couldn't even finish it. Everyone is really talking it up though so I might try again.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

Heh, my parents refer to each other as mom and dad.

I think there's a big difference between parents referring to their spouse as mom and dad when talking to the kids (mom is coming home with dinner) and the parents actually calling each other mom and dad. I see the former all the time and it seems normal to me, the latter creeps me out. And I know people who do it.

I know this has gotten OT, but I also really hate when you are talking to another adult and they call their parents "mom" and "dad" instead of saying "my mom" or "my dad." I don't know why but this enrages me. We all have moms and dads, yours aren't the supreme ones who own those monikers Lol.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 3

I've already shared this uo, but I just wanted to reiterate it because I always feel like I am literally the only one so I like to see others agree!

I found s1 of Daredevil boring and I didn't really care about/like any of the main characters but I was excited for s2 anyway for some reason. But then I sat down to watch the first ep and was SO bored I couldn't even finish it. Everyone is really talking it up though so I might try again.

I started season 2 yesterday and fell asleep during the first episode

• Love 1

I hold the monumentally UO that I wish more parents on TV got mad at their kids and/or punished them. But it's no longer considered acceptable to think kids should be disciplined, be it in real life or fiction. Back on TWoP, when I supported Betty's disciplining of Bobby for ripping down his wallpaper on Mad Men (for the record, Bobby was 10-12 years old), you'd swear I said Betty should dismember Bobby and feed his remains to fire ants. People even called Betty "psycho" for punishing him. Look, Betty is flawed as hell, but I don't think punishing your adolescent son for tearing down his wallpaper (which is expensive to put up, by the way, and a big undertaking) when he is more than old enough to know better is remotely psychotic or even unreasonable. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 16

Can we also have parents' remember they are the parents? Like how their kid wants to go somewhere

with another friend's family the parents are worried because they don't know the family that well. They

worry the whole episode or even a part of it asking questions before finally agreeing. It never occurs

to the parents to ask to meet the family or even just call them. For example a few seasons back Alexis

was going to look at colleges with her friend and her friend's mom Alexis reassures her dad that the

woman is responsible. Why not call the lady herself or ask to meet her? It comes up on other shows too. 

And the more common the parent or parents worrying about their teen's new boyfriend or girlfriend.

They worry because they haven't met the new boyfriend or girlfriend. They do know they can ask to

meet them right?

• Love 4

I hold the monumentally UO that I wish more parents on TV got mad at their kids and/or punished them. But it's no longer considered acceptable to think kids should be disciplined, be it in real life or fiction. Back on TWoP, when I supported Betty's disciplining of Bobby for ripping down his wallpaper on Mad Men (for the record, Bobby was 10-12 years old), you'd swear I said Betty should dismember Bobby and feed his remains to fire ants. People even called Betty "psycho" for punishing him. Look, Betty is flawed as hell, but I don't think punishing your adolescent son for tearing down his wallpaper (which is expensive to put up, by the way, and a big undertaking) when he is more than old enough to know better is remotely psychotic or even unreasonable.

This made such little impression on me that I don't even remember the punishment. Of course I'm from a different generation. I do remember people getting in a tizzy when Betty locked Sally ina closet for smoking when she was about 10 years old. First, it was SMOKING, not something minor. Second, if I recall correctly Betty stood outside the closet talking to Sally the whole time. Third, look what happened to Betty. Being locked in a closet for a while is a small price to pay if Sally avoids that fate.

Edited because, wow, autocorrect is not my friend.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 1

Can we also have parents' remember they are the parents? Like how their kid wants to go somewhere with another friend's family the parents are worried because they don't know the family that well. They worry the whole episode or even a part of it asking questions before finally agreeing. It never occurs to the parents to ask to meet the family or even just call them. For example a few seasons back Alexis was going to look at colleges with her friend and her friend's mom Alexis reassures her dad that the woman is responsible. Why not call the lady herself or ask to meet her? It comes up on other shows too. And the more common the parent or parents worrying about their teen's new boyfriend or girlfriend. They worry because they haven't met the new boyfriend or girlfriend. They do know they can ask tomeet them right?

Well, if it's Alexis from Castle, he was actually one of the few parents on genre television I liked in the first two seasons, but for some reason after that she turned into a smug, irrational creature and he was too terrified of her wrath to talk back to her no matter what she did. It's crossed my mind to wonder if it wasn't because so many of their viewers were Alexis' age...

• Love 2

I hold the monumentally UO that I wish more parents on TV got mad at their kids and/or punished them. But it's no longer considered acceptable to think kids should be disciplined, be it in real life or fiction.

Not unpopular with me. But unfortunately that's one of the hazards of living in a progressive society, that sooner or later a bunch of dipsticks decide that discipline is bad because it could destroy a child's self-esteem, so it should just be done away with. What's worse is that it's supposed to be either cute or hilarious or both when the kid talks back or throws a fit because they don't get what they want. Blech.

• Love 5

I don't have Netflix at the moment, so I assume Foggy is still around in season 2? If so, automatic pass.  

Matches up with my unpopular opinion- he was close to unbearable this season. He's like the annoying 'nice guy' friend from an 80s teen film. Molly Ringwald doesn't want you, Foggy!  

• Love 1

Not unpopular with me. But unfortunately that's one of the hazards of living in a progressive society, that sooner or later a bunch of dipsticks decide that discipline is bad because it could destroy a child's self-esteem, so it should just be done away with. What's worse is that it's supposed to be either cute or hilarious or both when the kid talks back or throws a fit because they don't get what they want. Blech.

I agree with the idea that kids need to be punished, but I guess that leaves the question as to what method of punishment is most acceptable, because I personally am against spanking/physical punishment for children, because I think that can be a form of abuse if taken too far (I didn't receive physical punishment as a child--my mom was/is STRONGLY against it--and I turned out fine). But I realize that are those who disagree with that, and I don't want to start any arguments, so YMMV. That said, Roseanne had a GREAT episode illustrating Roseanne regretting spanking DJ, because of the abuse she grew up dealing with around her father. 

But as far as actually being grounded/explained what they did wrong on TV, or some sort of non physical punishment? THAT I agree with 100 percent.

• Love 3

We didn't do physical punishments, but my daughter more than once asked if I would mind substituting a beating for our standard punishment, the Growthful Talk. I'm almost certain she was kidding.

I just could never wrap my head around teaching my kid that there are times it's OK for people to hit you. Maybe there's a non-damaging way to do that, but my family didn't specialize in non-damaging, so I think I'm a hard sell.

• Love 5

We didn't do physical punishments, but my daughter more than once asked if I would mind substituting a beating for our standard punishment, the Growthful Talk. I'm almost certain she was kidding.

I just could never wrap my head around teaching my kid that there are times it's OK for people to hit you. Maybe there's a non-damaging way to do that, but my family didn't specialize in non-damaging, so I think I'm a hard sell.

Heh, I used to say that I would've preferred my mother beat me to the lectures...oh the lectures! Of course, I never get what I want, though. ;)

You know, I had no problem with Betty on Mad Men thinking Bobby should be punished in some way, just thought her brand of punishing wasn't all that helpful in the end. Kids need limits and consequences, IMO, but Betty took it to the extremes sometimes and I felt like she liked it a little too much.

I got spanked occasionally as a child and I resent the popular sentiment going around now that that means my parents abused me.  I got spanked when I was throwing a fit and nothing else would get me to stop and behave.  Always on the butt with the hand only.  I understand why people don't want to spank their kids and that is fine.  Times and attitudes change.  My parents are loving and compassionate people who have and will do anything for me and I can't help getting defensive on their behalf whenever I see conversations going in this direction.

• Love 15

My cousin and I got a backhand a I think once but that was really the nuclear option. That just stops everything.

I actually backhanded someone my own age (22 at the time) in band rehearsal who was mouthing off to my friend, with a warning first. We didn't have any problems after that.

You never really see parents on TV discussing how to deal with kids though.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

And one annoying thing about having to hear about people's personal drama is that sometimes it seems like they're reaching to find some tragedy in the person's life and the event isn't actually affecting them or driving them to succeed in the competition.

I think it was Danielle Bradbury on The Voice whose sob story was .. prepare for it to get really dusty in your room .. she had BRACES! I can't believe she even recovered from that.

• Love 6

My UO has to do with the show Black Sails.  I never liked the character of Vane and I didn't freak out or go into hysterics when he was executed.  This is a show about pirates in Nassau, and many of them were executed, including Charles Vane.  And enough of the stupid woman on Afterbuzz TV who went on and on about how she liked seeing Vane shirtless.

• Love 3

I actually backhanded someone my own age (22 at the time) in band rehearsal who was mouthing off to my friend, with a warning first. We didn't have any problems after that.

*mental note: do not fuck with ganesh*

I think it was Danielle Bradbury on The Voice whose sob story was .. prepare for it to get really dusty in your room .. she had BRACES! I can't believe she even recovered from that.

Wait, this was presented without any sense of irony? Sarcasm?  

I've often thought that the LAST thing these contestants with such traumatic pasts needed was the pressure and scrutiny of celebrity and the entertainment industry.  But hey, such people "deserve" success more so than people who are comparatively whole, so what do I know.    

Since season 2 of Daredevil has been released, I need to unload: I dislike the character of Karen and don't think the actress who plays her is all that attractive. All the praise is confounding to me.

I like her character, but only find her attractive in a small town,  girl-next-door kind of way. 

While I admire Elektra's fighting skills as a ninja badass assassin, I don't care for her as a person. AT ALL. And I don't think that makes me an anti-feminist.

Woah....seriously?  People really like her and think it's anti-femist not to?  I can't stand her (except for the ninja skills) and I don't think I'm anti-feminist either.  Wow.

Is it an unpopular opinion to not want Karen and Matt together?  And God, no--I don't want him with Elektra either.  Maybe some new character.  Anyway....I like like the show otherwise.

A Scorpion UO:  I like Paige.

My UO has to do with the show Black Sails.  I never liked the character of Vane and I didn't freak out or go into hysterics when he was executed.

You are totally Ride Or Die for Silver!

• Love 1

My UO has to do with the show Black Sails.  I never liked the character of Vane and I didn't freak out or go into hysterics when he was executed.  

I'll go one further and say that I never got over my season 1 grudge against him.

Die, Vane, dieeeeeeeeee. 

• Love 1

Wait, this was presented without any sense of irony? Sarcasm?  

I've often thought that the LAST thing these contestants with such traumatic pasts needed was the pressure and scrutiny of celebrity and the entertainment industry.  But hey, such people "deserve" success more so than people who are comparatively whole, so what do I know.    

Yup.  Here's the blind audition where she talks about it; she doesn't specifically mention it in connection with the song she performed, Mean by Taylor Swift, but...

I don't think NBC's "Sound of Music" was terrible.

I'll go with an extreme UO...I think The Sound of Music in any way, shape, or form is terrible...as well as The Wizard of Oz. Edited by ByTor
  • Love 4

I'll go with an extreme UO...I think The Sound of Music in any way, shape, or form is terrible...as well as The Wizard of Oz.

Agreed. Mostly--I do like Sound of Music up until the wedding, then I get really bored.  As for The Wizard of Oz:  don't like it so much that I almost missed out on Wicked.  I loved Wicked, but it didn't change my opinion of WOZ.

• Love 4

In the third person, Mother: Mom is bringing home dinner.

Referring to myself in the third person is special code in my house. "Mother needs a glass of wine," for example, means, "Go away, immediately, and do whatever it is you do when you are not in my sight -- but quietly. This was not a good day." See? Grammar shorthand.

• Love 9

I don't understand the appeal of Master Of None. Let me quantify that a bit: I do understand that when people told me they liked it they talked about POC hanging out together which is rare on tv. Also a POC lesbian. All is well and good and enough to bring me to the table but I found the show trite and boring. I do not understand how it ends up on everyone's top ten list.

Again I will quantify: I watch like five comedies so maybe I am not one to judge.

Referring to myself in the third person is special code in my house. "Mother needs a glass of wine," for example, means, "Go away, immediately, and do whatever it is you do when you are not in my sight -- but quietly. This was not a good day." See? Grammar shorthand.

In our house, 'mother's own darling' is code for 'you might want to be somewhere I am not'.

• Love 3

I don't understand the appeal of Master Of None. Let me quantify that a bit: I do understand that when people told me they liked it they talked about POC hanging out together which is rare on tv. Also a POC lesbian. All is well and good and enough to bring me to the table but I found the show trite and boring. I do not understand how it ends up on everyone's top ten list.

Again I will quantify: I watch like five comedies so maybe I am not one to judge.

I started to watch maybe 2-3 times but was never engaged enough to continue past the first couple of episodes. When the show started turning up on so many "best of the year" lists, I gave it another try. Managed to make it to the end but still didn't really get the appeal. I thought Aziz in particular was mediocre, rushing through his lines and never really being present in his performance. The acting awards and accolades for him in were surprising to me.

I don't find Melissa McCarthy funny, which is not to say I don't like the actress. I liked her on "Mike & Molly" when the show was about two sweet fat people falling in love. Then they retooled it and Molly became a pratfalling bitch, and that dislike has just expanded to her as a movie actress.

• Love 4

I don't find Melissa McCarthy funny, which is not to say I don't like the actress. I liked her on "Mike & Molly" when the show was about two sweet fat people falling in love. Then they retooled it and Molly became a pratfalling bitch, and that dislike has just expanded to her as a movie actress.

Sometimes it's hard to separate the person from the character. There aren't currently any women who bother me, but I refuse to watch or support any entertainment that features several male actors because of my distaste (warranted or not) for them personally.

I enjoy Melissa but she seems to have typecast herself into those slapsticky kind of roles in movies that aren't of much interest to me. Has she ever been allowed to be someone's love interest in her movie roles? At least Gilmore Girls and Mike and Molly showed her as being sexually desirable/courtable.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
Has she ever been allowed to be someone's love interest in her movie roles?

There's a love interest in Tammy, but I have only a vague memory of the film (great cast, not-so-great movie).  I think maybe it's left with an "I have some shit to work out before pursuing something" sentiment rather than a traditional happy ending.  If, in fact, I'm remembering that correctly, it makes sense for the film, but does make one wonder if it would have happened with a more traditionally attractive lead.

• Love 1

I enjoy Melissa but she seems to have typecast herself into those slapsticky kind of roles and movies that aren't of much interest to me. Has she ever been allowed to be someone's love interest in her movie roles?

Hell, she slept with Jason Statham in Spy.

And FWIW, The Heat was the first time I've ever thought Sandra Bullock had what could be considered romantic chemistry with any of her screen partners.

• Love 1

I enjoy Melissa but she seems to have typecast herself into those slapsticky kind of roles in movies that aren't of much interest to me. Has she ever been allowed to be someone's love interest in her movie roles? At least Gilmore Girls and Mike and Molly showed her as being sexually desirable/courtable.

I'm not very familiar with Melissa McCarthy's work--never watched more than a couple episodes of Mike and Molly or Gilmore Girls--but I seem to remember her in a movie with Ryan Reynolds (of which the title totally escapes me right now)  where she was the love interest. I thought she was the best part of that movie myself. 

Edited by DittyDotDot

I started to watch maybe 2-3 times but was never engaged enough to continue past the first couple of episodes. When the show started turning up on so many "best of the year" lists, I gave it another try. Managed to make it to the end but still didn't really get the appeal. I thought Aziz in particular was mediocre, rushing through his lines and never really being present in his performance. The acting awards and accolades for him in were surprising to me.

Same. It was one of those shows I watched while playing Candy Crush. I like Aziz Ansari and enjoy his stand up. I liked him on Parks and Rec. But I really didn't feel he could carry a show. I didn't mind the show, didn't think it was awful, just kind of meh. I did like the much-praised second (?) ep the best that focused on the parents' backstories.

I just looked up The Nines and nobody would even know Melissa is in it, according to the advertising materials! Is it worth watching for $2.99? Reviews are 15% one star and 40% five stars.

Well, I liked the movie well enough, but not sure I'd pay for it. It kinda depends on you own tastes though, it's not a romantic comedy, or even a comedy. And, it's not a straight-forward movie in the traditional sense.

As to the marketing, Melissa isn't the only love interest in the movie. it's actually kinda ironic Melissa isn't on the posters. If you watch the movie, you'll get the irony.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

I just looked up The Nines and nobody would even know Melissa is in it, according to the advertising materials! Is it worth watching for $2.99? Reviews are 15% one star and 40% five stars.

I agree with DittyDotDot - it depends on your taste.  I had no idea what the film was about when I decided to watch, and it was quite unexpected.  No surprise at all that McCarthy wasn't in any of the promotional materials. As already mentioned, she wasn't the only love interest, but I thought she and Reynolds had great chemistry.  

When I watched Gilmore Girls all those years ago, I sometimes wondered what it would have been like if the story followed Sookie instead of Lorelai. Interesting that that her star rose the highest out of that show. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 2