Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Something Bad Happened

Annalise mulls taking a risk to shield the team from Philip, but the consequences could be too great. Meanwhile, Wes continues to gather information about his mother's death. Also: A flashback reveals a severe turn in the Mahoney case for Annalise's client.

Wow, that was (as usual) a whirlwind.

First: EVE!!!! So happy to finally see her back, and are guaranteed to see more of her next episode.

I wasn't expecting to find out what happened to Rose so soon. I suspected the suicide part way through the episode - I think when they started showing the clock in the flashbacks and how little time had passed between the various conversations and Wes finding her. It seems like the general theory floating around after the mid-season break - that Annalise and Eve were manipulative on a case and that led to Rose's death - was more or less accurate.

I also found myself wondering if Charles was acquitted or not - have any of the newspaper headlines specified?

Looks like we'll be back to the Hapstall case for the last (two?) episodes of the season, which I suppose is moderately interesting with the cliffhanger.

I still want to find out what happened to Annalise's baby, though!

And Bonnie, why in the world do you have a recording device in the basement?!

Now Bonnie probably thinks Annalise was actually involved in Lila's death. I wonder why Frank didn't tell Laurel the truth. I'm pretty curious about what actually happened.

• Love 2

I love this show, always on the edge of my seat. 

Now, it can't be the Anna is going to end up at death's door again?  

She's already been shot for the first half of the season.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was shocked that it was Phillip in Wes' apartment. I wish he would go away already. 

Okay, based on Rose's reaction, I think that I am right that Alan Arkin's character is Wes' father. I like Wes' therapist. I wonder if she will be his love interest eventually. I still think that Laurel is in the running there. 

Could Nate be any more delicious? The answer is, "hell no!" The man is like a ice cream cone that should be licked all over. Lucky Annalise.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

That episode was pure craziness, I loved all of Annalise's scenes. Twitter blew up after they showed Annalise running away from Rose. Annalise is making more sense as a character now after these past few episodes. I'm glad we'll find out what happened to her baby next week, I can't take this suspense.

I still want to know why Frank killed Lila and I'm not happy Laurel has given him no chance to explain. They've had the same argument like three times, let the man talk already bad quit whining about "poor Wes"!

• Love 3

I would watch a spinoff of Michaela and Connor (along with Oliver) being besties but show, if Connor and Michaela are the shocking hookup, I'm out.

I'm glad to see that next week some finally confronts Annie over the fact that she protects Wes more than anyone else, I hope Bonnie brings up the fact that he was the one who actually killed her husband.

• Love 3

Ugh I kind of like Laurel and Wes together. I felt the suicide was a let down. Wes killing his mother never made much sense. I would totally watch a spinoff with Michaela/Connor/Oliver. I hope Connor/Michaela are not the shocking hook up.

• Love 3

I would watch a spinoff of Michaela and Connor (along with Oliver) being besties but show, if Connor and Michaela are the shocking hookup, I'm out.

I'm glad to see that next week some finally confronts Annie over the fact that she protects Wes more than anyone else, I hope Bonnie brings up the fact that he was the one who actually killed her husband.

But the whole reason we have "Poor Wes" seems to be because Annalise messed with his mom. I wish someone would call her out on all of her shady behavior. It's facinating and Viola is amazing but I wish this second part of the season was lighter on the flashbacks.

(edited)

Did Annalise and Eve really have Rose snatched up by ICE so she'd testify in that Mahoney case? That's some vile shit.

I'm really pleased that this episode moved things along and gave us some answers. We still have lots of questions, though. Like, is Adam Arkin Wes' daddy (Rose's tirade sure hinted strongly in that direction). AA plays a great sinister villain.

Didn't see the Phillip reappearance at the end coming. In fact, I'd started suspecting that someone else was behind the stalking and email threats.

I now understand Annalise's attachment to Wes a little better. If she somehow lost her baby, and that traumatic incident is tied up with seeing Wes lose his mother, she might view him as a son.

Michaela and Connor at the slumber party were cute. Talking about their class rankings was a clever callback to their more competitive dynamic in season 1. But then Michaela begged him not to go to Stanford, which was so poignant.

I like Wes' thereapist, too. For a minute, I thought he was going to confess everything to her.

Still loving the Wes/Laurel dynamic.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 7

Man, this show is skilled at making me bawl like a baby. When Eve said to Rose something like her deportment would be the next day, and Rose is like, "No, now, my son, how must he feel.." just broke my heart. I don't even have kids (nor want them), but damn, thinking about what Rose would be going through, knowing she had to leave her son....damn you show.

Eve! Love her to death, and her interactions with Annalise.

Oh man, Rose commiting suicide - again, broke my heart. I honestly am not 100% sure what she would accomplish - whether she got deported or died, she would not testify against Rich Boy, so with deportation, there is a chance (yes, slim I know) that she could come back to the US.

Interesting Bonnie recording Frank's "declaration" of love for Laurel. Do love how Laurel is at this point, the only one to basically take on Annalise. Everyone else, including Bonnie and Frank, can be easily cowtowed by her. But not with Laurel.

Shallow comment of the episode: And Nate. Oh yes, Mr. Nate. Wow.....just wow....*dropsdeadonfloor* / *admireshowmucheffortitistomaintainthatbody*

• Love 1
(edited)

What hookup could possibly be 'shocking' on THIS show? Haven't most of these people fallen into random beds at one time or another? Who could possibly be so earth-shattering? Frank and Annalise? Wes and Connor? Michaela and Asher? Eve and Bonnie? Frank and Nate? Laurel and Annalise? Michaela and Connor? Who could possibly 'shock' us? I'm not particularly impressed by this revelation.

Edited by LaJefaza
(edited)

What hookup could possibly be 'shocking' on THIS show? Haven't most of these people fallen into random beds at one time or another? Who could possibly be so earth-shattering? Frank and Annalise? Wes and Connor? Michaela and Asher? Eve and Bonnie? Frank and Nate? Laurel and Annalise? Michaela and Connor? Who could possibly 'shock' us? I'm not particularly impressed by this revelation.

Annalise and Wes.

Asher and Oliver.

Connor and Bonnie.

Michaela and Laurel.

Frank and Nate.

I'm glad we're finally getting some background info Wes' past and Annalise's shady involvement in it.

Even if Annalise is shady as all get out, the DA cannot ignore that Phillip, the murderer of some of Philly's wealthiest citizens, is running around stalking people. At some point, the DA is going to have to run for reelection. His potential donors aren't going to like that he let their friends' murderer flee from justice.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1
(edited)

How about a Connor, Oliver, Asher threesome? I'd find that pretty shocking (in a good way of course). 

Or maybe a Laurel and Michaela hookup (Laurel did call dibs on Michaela in the office orgy).

Or a Laurel, Frank, Bonnie threesome

Or Eve and Wes

Annalise and the DA dude 

Just no to Connor and any woman. :) :) :)

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 2

I think Bonnie and Frank set up Laurel during that conversation. They now have it on tape that she knows about the murder but chooses to do nothing about it. If she changes her mind at a later date, they can use the tape to stop her, saying she will be charged as an accessory after the fact to murder. 

• Love 9

I was shocked that it was Phillip in Wes' apartment. I wish he would go away already. 

Okay, based on Rose's reaction, I think that I am right that Alan Arkin's character is Wes' father. I like Wes' therapist. I wonder if she will be his love interest eventually. I still think that Laurel is in the running there. 

Could Nate be any more delicious? The answer is, "hell no!" The man is like a ice cream cone that should be licked all over. Lucky Annalise.

I thought Phillip was in the apartment but I screamed anyway. They created great suspense and creepy atmosphere. The scream shocked the cat.

Yes to the idea that Alan Arkin's character seems to be implied as Wes's father.

Yes, Nate the body beautiful. Annalise has has some very attractive lovers.

Did the baby die during the delivery or did she lie to Sam and say the baby died and give the baby away because she knew she was evil and that the baby deserved better?

Great episode!

• Love 4

I like connor, but if he leaves i won't be broken up about it. Outside coliver and his friendship with michaela, he's boring, maybe oliver should leave. I like wes/laurel, but would love laurel/michaela or wes/michaela, asher/michaela would be entertaining. I think the most shocking would be annalise/eve/nate threesome, lol.

• Love 1

Okay, another tense episode, only two more to go until we can relax for a bit!

I wasn't surprised to see Philip at Wes's place.  I did, however, think that when we saw Wes all alone in Annalise's chair at her place, with the window behind him, we were going to see Philip show up in that window....I creeped myself out watching that waiting for it to happen.

As someone else noted above, I am so done with the notion of Frank not telling Laurel anything beyond the fact that he killed Sam.  Spit it out now, Frank!

It will creep the bejeezus out of me if Annalise and Wes are the shocking hookup given her maternal feels for him.  Bleh!!

Finally, I do wonder what Bonnie is planning to do with the information about Frank.  I don't think it is to set up Laurel, her merely knowing that Frank did it, without doing anything to assist Frank in covering up the murder, isn't enough to have her threatened to be charged as an accessory after the fact.  Perhaps Bonnie is just consolidating as much information as possible for future use, if necessary.

• Love 1

I swear this show is going to be the the death of me.

Annalise and Bonnie's slick takedown of that search warrant was everything. I would watch an entire episode of them sitting across from each other making dinner plans while actually planning a bank heist.

Racist Rich Guy Sr. is definitely going to be Westophe's father, he's the American citizen father that makes Wes a citizen even though he was born in Haiti to a Haitian mother. Even though the entire present day part of the episode had to do with Phillip, I did not foresee him being in Wes' apartment. I thought for sure they were going to mirror one suicide attempt with another and that Annalise would see water flowing from under the bathroom door while on the phone and save Wes from drowning in the nick of time. 

• Love 10
Annalise and Bonnie's slick takedown of that search warrant was everything. I would watch an entire episode of them sitting across from each other making dinner plans while actually planning a bank heist.

I agree! I forgot about how great that whole takedown was....and they had the perfect "caper" music playing in the background.  So fun.

• Love 11

I'm fairly cold-blooded when it comes to gore, but I couldn't look at the scene after Rose stabbed herself.  I literally whipped off my glasses so I didn't have to see it.

• Love 3
(edited)
Okay, another tense episode, only two more to go until we can relax for a bit!

Ha! I was thinking the same thing!

I'm fairly cold-blooded when it comes to gore, but I couldn't look at the scene after Rose stabbed herself.  I literally whipped off my glasses so I didn't have to see it.

I turned away from the TV every time they cut back to it.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

Even though the entire present day part of the episode had to do with Phillip, I did not foresee him being in Wes' apartment. I thought for sure they were going to mirror one suicide attempt with another and that Annalise would see water flowing from under the bathroom door while on the phone and save Wes from drowning in the nick of time. 

I thought Annalise was going to find Wes attempting suicide in the bathroom also so I was shocked when Phillip came out.

No doubt we will be seeing Alan Arkin's character in the present. I wonder if Annalise is still scared of him. I suspect that Wes will be in danger if he finds out the truth about his parentage. I cannot see him being willing to admit that he has a black son or his family share their money with Wes.

Racist Rich Guy Sr. is definitely going to be Westophe's father, he's the American citizen father that makes Wes a citizen even though he was born in Haiti to a Haitian mother.

If I recall, Eve told Rose Wes could stay because he was born here so he's an American citizen. Which actually makes the Rich Guy being the father more believable if he knocked Rose up here and she gave birth here.

Now I wonder since Bonnie knows Frank killed Lila, does she feel bad for killing Rebecca because the only reason she did it was because she though Rebecca killed Lila. So now she knows she was the one who killed an innocent girl.

Did the baby die during the delivery or did she lie to Sam and say the baby died and give the baby away because she knew she was evil and that the baby deserved better?

I chortled when Eve told Annalise that she could always give the baby away if she felt that she wasn't ready and didn't want the baby. Like Sam would be a-okay with that decision. Eve was totally setting up Annalise's marriage to implode so she could pick up the pieces.

But, yeah, I think Annalise's guilt over Wes's mother's death and role in the events that led up to that, push her back into not believing she deserves her child and it would be better off without her, so she gives it away but tells Sam the child died and that's the beginning of the end for their marriage.  I can't see Sam staying with her if she admits she gave it away, but he would stay if she said it died and he'd swallow any anger (to fester over the years) that she had the body cremated before he could see it (or maybe she pays someone at the hospital to show him a dead baby). It also plays into Annalise saying that Wes 'ruined her (life)' because it started with Wes and his mother that she 'loses' her child, loses Sam, sinks to a new level of self-loathing and hard bitterness, then really loses Sam when Wes kills him and then finally Wes shoots her. And yet at the same time she probably thinks she deserved getting shot and that it was poetic justice that Wes was the one to do it.

I think this case also shows why Annalise becomes Annalise of the present- back then with Wes's mom she simply tried to do her job and be human about things but got so burned she went stone cold, no nonsense with her staff AND clients, and became determined to really win at all costs because it was all she was good at and she 'failed' at everything else in her life.

I really do hope Adam Arkin's character is around in present day because him and present day non-cowering Annalise in the same room? It's going to be brutally fantastic to see them tear each other into shreds.

Actually that would be the one shocking hook-up for me - Annalise hooking up with the racist client!

• Love 6

Did Annalise and Eve really have Rose snatched up by ICE so she'd testify in that Mahoney case? That's some vile shit.

My read might be off, but I thought that Eve was either ICE herself or feigning to be ICE to get her to testify.

I do have to wonder why being forced to testify was so bad that Rose decided offing herself and orphaning her son was a better option. 

If I recall, Eve told Rose Wes could stay because he was born here so he's an American citizen. Which actually makes the Rich Guy being the father more believable if he knocked Rose up here and she gave birth here.

Yeah,  my understanding was that Wes was born in the U.S. As such, it wouldn't matter if his dad was Racist Rich Guy, Racist Rich Guy Jr., a fellow illegal immigrant, or whoever. Anyone born in the physical boundaries U.S. is a U.S. citizen.

In terms of shocking hookups, I guess it depends on what you mean by "shocking":

Anna + Wes is something that I think has been hinted for a long time, but I still don't think they would go there.

Virtually any group scenario would be shocking (Anna/Nate/Eve; Connor/Oliver/X; Laurel/Frank/Wes; Michaela/Caleb/Catherine; Frank/Bonnie/Anna; Frank/Sam/Anna or Bonnie/Sam/Anna in the past etc)

• Love 1

I enjoyed most of this episode, particularly Rose and Eve.  I also love the dismantling of the search warrant.  Those scenes and the fast paced back and forth were reminiscent of how things were sometimes presented on the first season, and part of why I loved the show during the first season.  This season has been a bit lackluster for me, but I still find things about it to enjoy.

I really like the Michaela/Connor relationship.  When she begged him not to leave her alone, it really showed that she doesn't think of Wes, Laurel or Asher as her friends at all.

I still am finding it very hard for me to care at all about Wes.  I couldn't care less about his tortured soul and him talking to the therapist.  I watch every episode hoping he will die.  Thus, my cackling when Laurel was begging Annalise to save Wes, and my hope that when he entered his apartment to pack up the files that he would be attacked.  It could still have happened, right?  We saw Wes packing up the file, and then next scene of his apartment was Annalise knocking at his door.  Perhaps Phillip stuck a knife in his throat.

Annalise is batshit crazy and ethically challenged but she sure does score some pretty, pretty lovers. Nate and Eve. Yummy. Even her husband was a hottie.

I gotta wonder what the psychological damage that all 3 have that they would stay with a woman who will cross every ethical boundary to get what she wants. Makes me think that no matter how pretty they are on the outside, they have some deep dark ugly stuff on the inside.

Or Annalise has a vagina made of gold.

• Love 3
(edited)

I do have to wonder why being forced to testify was so bad that Rose decided offing herself and orphaning her son was a better option. 

I don't think that it was testifying that made Rose commit suicide, it was when Annalise admitted that Alan Arkin's character had threatened Wes. Rose told Annalise that she had no idea what that man was capable of and that she would never let him control her again, I think she said control. She clearly knew him much better than you expect a cleaner at his office should know the wealthy owner. I wouldn't be surprised if he raped her or coerced her into a sexual relationship with Wes as the result.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
Thus, my cackling when Laurel was begging Annalise to save Wes, and my hope that when he entered his apartment to pack up the files that he would be attacked.  It could still have happened, right?  We saw Wes packing up the file, and then next scene of his apartment was Annalise knocking at his door.  Perhaps Phillip stuck a knife in his throat.

No Wes was with Eve when Anna was in his apartment.  

I'm not a Wes fan or a Wes hater, but I was almost certain Annalise was going to catch him in the act of attempting to commit suicide when she was walking around his apartment.  

• Love 3

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't present day Eve live out of state? How did Wes get to her so quickly, that he was able to be waiting for her in her building when she got home from a date? When she was on earlier in the season, didn't she have to fly in to see Annalise?

• Love 2

Annalise is batshit crazy and ethically challenged but she sure does score some pretty, pretty lovers. Nate and Eve. Yummy. Even her husband was a hottie.

I gotta wonder what the psychological damage that all 3 have that they would stay with a woman who will cross every ethical boundary to get what she wants. Makes me think that no matter how pretty they are on the outside, they have some deep dark ugly stuff on the inside.

Or Annalise has a vagina made of gold.

Well, Eve is (apparently) cut from similar cloth so I don't think that she sees Anna as ethically challenged as she actually is. Plus she has been spared a lot of the worst of Anna since she really only knew her at Harvard when Anna was apparently happier and less twisty.

Sam, as we saw, just kept up the facade of a marriage. He explicitly was cheating with Lila. I have litle doubt he was unfaithful with Bonnie and numerous other co-eds, patients and others.

Nate is the real mystery -- given all that Anna has put Nate through (job loss, accusation as a murder suspect, vilification for cheating on his terminally ill wife, a beating while he was in jail, all sorts of mind games) and given that his fine, brickhouse ass could probably get close to his choice of women, for him to willingly stay with Anna is surprising.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't present day Eve live out of state? How did Wes get to her so quickly, that he was able to be waiting for her in her building when she got home from a date? When she was on earlier in the season, didn't she have to fly in to see Annalise?

I think Eve lives in NY. Philly to NY is about an hour/hour and a half train ride. 

• Love 1

This, there has to be so much more to the story, something is missing. 

It's one thing if she was about to be sent off for real back to some war torn country away from her son, but even then...

But she wasn't, at that point no one was going to send her anywhere if she would just testify.

(edited)

But, yeah, I think Annalise's guilt over Wes's mother's death and role in the events that led up to that, push her back into not believing she deserves her child and it would be better off without her, so she gives it away but tells Sam the child died and that's the beginning of the end for their marriage.

But how could she manage to do this when I could have sworn I saw Sam entering the OR in the previews.

I think he's there when she gives birth.  He had on not the doctors type of scrub cap, but the blue shower cap type looking ones that they give to visitors/family members who are allowed to enter the OR. It was him, so he saw the baby being delivered, how she could then tell him the baby is dead and he not see it with his own eyes...

Unless Anna is hallucinating.

Edited by represent

That's what I thought the first time I watched it, but she actually said "Your son's a citizen, Rose. He gets to stay here if he wants to. The same rules don't apply for you, unfortunately." Nothing either way about where he was born. But in S1, he told Rebecca, "I wasn't born in Ohio. I was born in Haiti. My mom moved us here when I was 1. I was the only black kid in our town. Everyone wanted me to be good at basketball, but I sucked." If that's true then he's only a citizen because his father is a citizen.

• Love 5

I thought Rose killed herself because she assumed her son was dead.  When she found out Annalise had visited the AA character, and he had threatened her son, and he still wasn't home, she said something like "He's dead already" or "I couldn't take it if he's dead" and then stabbed herself.  I may have the words wrong, but another thought is she was so scared for his life she thought if she were gone he'd be safe.

Laurel has become my favorite character this season. It was heartbreaking to see her turn down Frank, though I wish she would have bothered to let him explain why he killed Lila.

I don't think the problem is that Laurel isn't letting Frank explain why he killed Lila. I think he would have explained his tearful "I had to" if they weren't interrupted by Annalise's phone call, but he is the one who chose to take the call, and I feel like all of their following interactions have been colored by Frank's perception based on Laurel's reaction that she won't be able to get over what he did. Why bother to explain when his reasons for killing Lila could be just as bad if not worse? The fact that Frank is allowing Laurel to believe it was on Annalise's orders rather than Sam's is really weird, though. What did he think Laurel was confronting Annalise about at the end of the last episode? He kept this huge secret, doesn't he care that she might confront Annalise about it??

I also wonder if the fact that Sam was a therapist who was at best "unprofessional," as Eve just reminded us in this episode, and at worst an abusive user will play into Frank murdering Lila. Annalise was his patient and fell in love with him, Bonnie was his patient and fell in love with him, he slept with his students... It makes me wonder if Frank killing Lila was purely a blackmail situation or if there was some sort of psychological/abusive element going on there too. The writers clearly care about Frank, and writing him as the killer was a gotcha twist they came up with on the fly. Maybe they can find a way to diminish his culpability in the eyes of Laurel and the viewers enough to make him work as a main character with people (Laurel, at least, perhaps others eventually) actually knowing he killed Lila. Otherwise I have my doubts about him working as a main character longterm.

• Love 2

Rose told Annalise to "take care of my boy" before she stabbed herself, so I think she understands that there has been a threat made, but it has not been carried out. She also specifically said that with her dead, there would no longer be a reason to threaten her son.

It looks to me like she does not want to testify because the testimony is false, would exonerate a guilty person, and she does not want to be bought or controlled by the perpetrators. They threatened her and she decided to refuse to give in, feeling that at some point someone needs to say no to these people, and no one was going to do it except her. Integrity is so foreign to this show, that ass-covering seems to be the only practical value. Rose seems to be the exception.

• Love 1
(edited)

I could see the shocking hookup being part of a flashback (Sam/Frank Sam/Bonnie Sam/Eve etc.). I wouldn't mind it being Bonnie/Anna or Frank/Sam(sorry I'm kind of trashy) I thought for sure Annalise had killed Rose but they did a great job in tricking me with how they put things together. I'm curious to see what happens to Annalises baby. I could see it being doa/miscarried because of the stress but I could also see it being a load of BS and she gave the child away. I really like how Viola and Famke play off of each other. They have a natural chemistry. Also Annalise definitely isn't a lesbian but she isn't straight either. I think because of her background she doesn't want to be anything but straight. She is most definitely bi. Frank not telling Laurel again about why he killed Lila was so frustrating. I like Frank and Laurel together so it sucks to see them apart. I DON'T like her and Wes and I'm hoping that is all over with. It's amazing how we have found out what happened to Wes as a child yet I still can't drum up any sympathy for him. Connor and Michaela have a good friendship and I love when the show shines a light on it. I also love the hell out of Oscar. I really hope Oscar and Connor make it out alive and together. I'm a bit worried because Laurel seems to have gotten rid of the "these people know what I've done I should shut up now" part of her brain. Part of me loves her taking them on because I think she has the most mental fortitude out of all the students but part of me worries that one of these times she is going to step in it and either get killed or banished. I'm worried about Bonnie hearing Laurel/Franks conversation. I could see her being pissed because they continued to let her believe that Wes' gf killed Lila and that led to her killing an innocent girl. I wouldn't be surprised if she takes it out on Laurel, Frank or both. In what way I don't know. I also don't think that helped the situation between Laurel and Bonnie because after all Bonnie got tossed aside and Laurel became the "new" Bonnie. Bonnie and Anna during the search warrant scene were amazing. I love how the two actresses play off of each other. One thing this show really has going for it  is the chemistry. Everyone has chemistry (whether it be sexual or not) with each other and it's awesome. I knew that Wes hadn't offed himself during the last scene at his place because that would be so cliche also they pulled that stunt the week before last when he was in Anna's bedroom. I didn't expect him to be with Eve though. I want Phillip dead now(more like yesterday) he's just annoying and I really want the Hapstall stuff wrapped up. I totally forgot about that case and I just don't care who did it anymore. The new mystery I feel is whether AA's characters son got off or not. I also want to see what is up with Anna's baby. 

Edited by Dancingjaneway

I'll be glad when the Phillip thing is over. I think it's been dragging the show down -- it's much more appealing to me when it's the characters trying to get out of messes they created -- so their actions become the "villain" in the piece. Phillip The Supervillain isn't working for me. And the horror movie trope of him stalking/hurting women (I know Annalise was just convenient, but it falls into that category) isn't working for me either. It's tired and unoriginal and this show can and has done much better.

Put me in the camp of rooting for Annalise to covertly give up the baby. I wouldn't even put it past her to switch another patient's dead/stillborn baby with her live baby when Sam gets there (and then pretends to "deliver" the stillborn baby). It's wild and weird, but it'd be par for the course on this show. So, she'd be giving her baby to someone she knew really wanted and was ready for a baby.

(I also feel like that would track more with her imagining that the baby is dropped on her doorstep and she has to take care of it. She wasn't ready then, and always flashes back to what would've been if she'd kept her baby. If her baby died...I would think there would be more idealizing of the baby in the hallucination. Instead, the baby initially appears as a terrifying creature she cannot control. Someone who second-guessed and forfeited their ability to be a mother, to me, would be more likely to hallucinate Baby as Curse instead of Baby as Blessing.)

• Love 1

Someone who second-guessed and forfeited their ability to be a mother, to me, would be more likely to hallucinate Baby as Curse instead of Baby as Blessing.)

You could be right. 

But at the end of the same episode she's hallucinating and picks up the baby and clings to it, hugging it lovingly. The baby is no longer crying and she frantic that she can't deal with it. Instead now, the baby is cooing and she's picking it up lovingly. I remember thinking that I wasn't even sure that Wes had actually been in her room, then after her interaction with him, the more pleasant hallucination with the baby ends the episode.

I honestly have no idea why Wes' mother would kill herself, it didn't make sense to me. It seemed like the easiest thing to do would be to just testify and be done with it. I hope it's explained later. That said, if she were to be deported, wouldn't she be able to take Wes with her back to Haiti even though he's a U.S. citizen? 

I love the interactions between Annalise and Eve and all the insight that brings. So, Annalise was in therapy for internalized homophobia and ended up falling for her married therapist. That IS interesting. Sam seems like such a deeply shady person the more I think about it, very lose with boundaries with patients and students. Not that anyone is a good person on this show, but anyway.

Nate is so boring. Sure, he looks like a marble sculpture but he has the personality of one too.

I so wonder what happened to the baby. I hope Annalise didn't give it away and lied about it to Sam as some have speculated... That would almost make me feel for Sam.

And Bonnie, why in the world do you have a recording device in the basement?!

Now Bonnie probably thinks Annalise was actually involved in Lila's death. I wonder why Frank didn't tell Laurel the truth. I'm pretty curious about what actually happened.

Plot device.  I'll buy that Frank wasn't able to properly explain to Laurel the first time, but to stand by and let her say - again! - that he killed Lila for Annalise ..... dumb.  It was strictly to ensure that Bonnie would be misinformed.  I find it very irritating.

They're being very vague about it.  We know that Wes was born in the US, but they very carefully didn't tell us if Rose was pregnant before or after she arrived.  And I just don't understand why Rose killed herself.  What did it accomplish?  If she feared deportation, how is it better for Wes' mother to simply be dead.  He was abandoned by her suicide, just like he would have been abandoned by her deportation.  And now, Wes had to find her dead body and be suspected of murdering her.  I don't get it.  If Charles' father was evil enough to harm her son, why does her death erase that possibility?

Still loving the Wes/Laurel dynamic.

They're my favorite of the five, followed closely by Asher.   I like that we're seeing such a human side of Laurel, and it's all about Wes.  I don't really want it to be romantic, but I'm loving the close friendship.  It's pretty one-sided right now, but I think Wes cares about Laurel as well.

• Love 1

I thought Annalise was going to find Wes attempting suicide in the bathroom also so I was shocked when Phillip came out.

No doubt we will be seeing Alan Arkin's character in the present. I wonder if Annalise is still scared of him. I suspect that Wes will be in danger if he finds out the truth about his parentage. I cannot see him being willing to admit that he has a black son or his family share their money with Wes.

I thought this as well until we saw Wes with Eve.

Actually, this is a common misconception. If Adam Arkin's character is Wes/Christophe's father, he is not automatically entitled to the man's money. That's how parents cut their kids off all the time. All AA would have to do if the truth is revealed is to name the specific people who he wants his assets to go to. If he really wants to be a dick about it, he can specifically list Wes/Christophe and deny him any of the inheritance. You can also put a clause that specifies anyone challenging the will gets nothing a way of doubly excluding Wes and making sure no sympathetic relative takes up,the mantle of Wes deserving a share.

I think Rose was a broken woman (whether she was raped or threatened) this was the last straw for her. She knows that even if she got AAs son off they would hold her false testimony over her head. I could see him taking her fleeing and not helping them out on her and Christophe.  They could also use it to threaten to deport her and keep Christophe away for her. A person cannot last under that stress forever. Or what if AA decided he did want to claim Christophe as his own and because he has the money and the power he can have her deported and Christophe lands wherever AA wants him to land. In the end I think just being beholden to the family and in a precarious state of not being a legal citizen it was too much and that was it. I also think she knew that Anna was smart enough to make sure that Christopher never ended up with AA or anywhere near AA. So this way Anna can place Wes somewhere where AA couldn't find him and Anna would legally kick his ass so Christophe would stay safe. 

• Love 6

This was my thought as well! First I thought the movement behind the door was Wes hanging himself, and then when he was in the bathroom I thought he was somehow killing himself.

Eve said Wes is an American citizen, but she never said he was born in the US. In the conversation with Rebecca in season 1, he says he was born in Haiti.

I felt that the trauma of witnessing/causing Wes's mother's dead pushed Annalisse into premature labour that escalated into a miscarriage.

It would be very cliche if this is the case, but I have wondered the same thing. Also, at this point in the pregnancy there is no such thing as a miscarriage - Annalise is way past 20 weeks gestation.

I thought Rose killed herself because she assumed her son was dead.  When she found out Annalise had visited the AA character, and he had threatened her son, and he still wasn't home, she said something like "He's dead already" or "I couldn't take it if he's dead" and then stabbed herself.  I may have the words wrong, but another thought is she was so scared for his life she thought if she were gone he'd be safe.

Her last words were to tell Annalise to take care of her son, so it seems Rose knew Wes was still alive.

I wonder if we will eventually find out the reason Rose committed suicide. They never really explained why she was so scared of testifying in the first place. Initially she wanted to do it anonymously because she claimed to be worried about immigration, right? Once ICE said she'd only be deported if she didn't testify, there was no reason for her not to. I could see her maybe being worried her boss would continue trying to blackmail her to do things by threatening her son (and quite possibly have blackmailed her into doing sketchy things by threatening with ICE in the past), but then she could have skipped town after the trial when people weren't paying as much attention.