Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Something Bad Happened

(edited)

I thought, if she testified, she was basically giving an alibi to a guilty man. She didn't want to do that. It would mean, most likely, that even if she escaped, the guy would be free to hurt someone again in the future, and she would have that weighing on her conscience. My understanding is that the reason Adam Arkin was so determined to get Rose to testify is that her testimony was the ONLY evidence counteracting what is otherwise a losing case. So Rose saw herself, if she testified, as being the one thing that keeps a dangerous man from being stopped.

She tried to flee, but that plan was foiled when Christophe jumped out of the car. Now, she feels that if she tries to flee, it's too late, and they will track her down and harm her son. So she thinks the only way to get them to finally leave Christophe alone permanently is to take herself out of the picture. Now, they can't use Christophe as a hostage or leverage in any way, because Rose can't testify if she's dead.

She killed herself to protect her child from being used as a pawn and to keep a man who murdered his girlfriend from being set free to do the same to another woman.

She can't control everything. She had no good options. She didn't trust that Annalise or anyone else would protect her and Christophe, but if she takes herself out of the picture, at least they will protect the kid, because there will no longer be anyone trying to hurt him.

Just reporting the threats is not going to work because they are not stupid enough to threaten her openly. Adam Arkin told Annalise indirectly that he would harm Christophe and Rose if Rose did not co-operate. But he could easily deny it, too. There were no direct, documented threats to report, and no one to report them to that she completely trusted.

Putting Rose and Christophe in witness protection, even if they could have made it happen, seems like it wouldn't work because Christophe was a small child who wasn't able to be reasoned with and trusted to behave safely under the circumstances. I don't think Rose expected him to come home and see her bleeding out. I thought she expected Annalise to prevent that. So yes, he would lose his mother. But she judged it better for him to lose his mother than for him to be for the rest of his life a target. She may or may not have been correct about that, but I think that was her state of mind at the time, that she was sacrificing herself for the greater good. It's sad. But she felt she had no one she could trust and no where to turn. And no one had offered her witsec. They were pressuring her to testify or be deported, not offering her protection for the rest of her life. Even Annalise in their final scene together was not saying "I can get you into witsec" -- she was saying Rose was in danger if she continued to resist testifying. But Rose felt that even if she does testify, she will forever be under threat of further manipulation by the family-- she said she didn't want them to feel she could be bought, and that if she went along with it, they would just find more ways to threaten her again, having found it worked the first time. I don't think this is an unreasonable fear.

And if it's true that Adam Arkin's character raped her, she may just not have been able to stomach giving in to any demands. She said she knows how evil the family can be. Perhaps she just couldn't allow herself to be complicit. I understand that. There are just some things you can't go along with, whatever the consequences of refusing.

We don't know why she left Haiti, but living undocumented in this country is very difficult, and we can only assume that what she fled in Haiti was worse. Thus, not wanting to risk going back, with or without her son.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 7
(edited)

I swear this show is going to be the the death of me.

Annalise and Bonnie's slick takedown of that search warrant was everything. I would watch an entire episode of them sitting across from each other making dinner plans while actually planning a bank heist.

Racist Rich Guy Sr. is definitely going to be Westophe's father, he's the American citizen father that makes Wes a citizen even though he was born in Haiti to a Haitian mother. Even though the entire present day part of the episode had to do with Phillip, I did not foresee him being in Wes' apartment. I thought for sure they were going to mirror one suicide attempt with another and that Annalise would see water flowing from under the bathroom door while on the phone and save Wes from drowning in the nick of time.

Yes and Yes! Bonnie and Annalise on the phone during the search warrant scene was amazing. I love the chemistry thise 2 have when they have to act quickly and flip a seemingly hopeless situation on its head.

And I also thought Annalise would walk in on Wes's suicide. Well actually my thoughts as I screamed them out were:

1. Phillips in there holding Wes hostage!

2. Annalise is gonna walk in on Wes having just hung himself! (which my hubby derailed by reminding me that someone took the note from under the door)

3. Wes is gonna kill Annalise! Thinking that after noticing Eve's name on the document he put it all together and placed all the blame on Annalise for his mother's suicide.

Only when they flashed to Wes on the couch in Eve's office did I finally realize that Phillip could be in there.

Edited by SneakyCentipede
Annalise and Bonnie's slick takedown of that search warrant was everything.

It was good, but if DA Nakatomi wants to look into what happened, a short investigation will lead to a cell phone call from someone claiming to be clerk Troy.   A search of the cell phone records would lead back to a cell phone owned by Asher, or whoever made the call from the house ( I have forgotten).  That becomes fraud by misrepresenting himself as an officer of the court.  Which could really snowball if it could be proven that Bonnie was in the room at the same time. 

• Love 1

Eve! So pretty. That ponytail, my God.

Agreed with the slick avoidance of the warrant. That was awesome, I love when this show does stuff like that.

I don't know why I hadn't considered Adam Arkin being Wes's father, but I suppose it makes sense. Wes told Rebecca that he was born in Haiti and that he and his mother moved to the states when he was 1, but that could have just been something Rose told Wes, perhaps to keep him from wondering about his father. Eve did say that he was a citizen, and it's less convoluted if he was born in the US than if Adam Arkin (or whoever) went down to Haiti, got Rose pregnant, and then she moved to the states a couple years later. Also, up until this point Adam Arkin has been needlessly racist, so it seems like they might be setting him up for having to deal with the fact that he has a black son.

Eve's convo with Annalise about her baby this week made me a little less worried about what might have happened. The fact that she suggested that Annalise just give the baby up if she's not ready presents the possibility of that happening, though idk how that would work with Sam, who seems very eager to have a kid. And maybe that coincides with the first hallucination Annalise had. Rose coming to Annalise with the baby is representative of her asking Annalise to look after Wes, but it might also be a manifestation of Annalise approaching someone else with the same desperation.

I love Laurel and Karla Souza has been on fire lately. She seems like the only person who's invested in keeping this entire house of cards from crumbling in on itself. I'm still not interested in her and Wes turning romantic and hate it when Annalise calls him her boyfriend. Idk, they just have such a nice friendship, I don't want to see that ruined.

I love the actress who plays Wes's psychiatrist. I don't want them to be romantic because ew, but maybe there will be a way to keep her around for a bit. Lord knows all these students need massive therapy.

At first I was surprised at how relatively low Michaela and Connor were ranked, but then I remembered they spend all their time avoiding arrest instead of studying so it makes sense.

I miss goofy Asher, but it's still too soon to go back to him. He should still be pretty shaken by his dad's suicide and Sinclair's murder (and everything that he learned about Sam's murder).

Jesus, Frank, just tell Laurel that it was Sam who had you murder Lila, not Annalise. Laurel damn near almost confronted Annalise about it and I'd think Frank would want to avoid that. Cuz now Bonnie thinks that's the case too and who knows what she's going to do with the information. What does he have to lose by telling Laurel it was Sam, anyway? He has much more to lose if he lets her continue to believe that it was Annalise.

The thing I have always liked about this is the confrontations and honest conversations the characters have. The Annalise/Eve and Annalise/Laurel arguments were some of the highlights of the episode. The exchanges are a lot of times hurtful but they feel honest and realistic. And I am looking forward to learning about how happened to Annalise's baby/ the Ohio Case plus the Hapstall case. I think having both plots at once helps keep the episodes engaging. 

The suspense in that ending scene is how of the draw in this show as well. I didn't see it coming that Philip would be there and it raises an interesting question of why he is in Wes's apartment. And it was interesting that everyone is almost accepting of their fate, from Frank and Bonnie to Michela and Connor, it feels like a house of cards that is going to tumble down at some point. I am looking forward to what they do in the last two episodes.

• Love 1

Well now we know that when you're in an apartment with a yet to be seen intruder, rather than immediately running out, you should shriek, "Call 911". Phillip was clearly hiding with no attention of attacking until that moment.

Can someone do a simpler recap of Bonnie and Anna's takedown of the search warrant?

Annalise told Bonnie she was with the prosecutor and to shred everything. Bonnie says that she's telling them to shred everything in front of the prosecutor - which Annalise would never actually do for real because it's illegal and the prosecutor could have her charged - and so Bonnie knew not to do anything and confirms this with Annalise. Annalise had only said to shred everything to build a sense of urgency for the prosecutor, increasing the likelihood that he would be careless or make a mistake, or rush into things without waiting to actually see the physical copy of the signed warrant. Annalise also gave Bonnie the name of the prosecutor, and then trusted Bonnie to take care of it, which she did. It was just a really good example of them working together and knowing how the other person works to be able to talk in "code" like that and know that the other person will pick up exactly on what they mean.

At least, this was my take of the scene.

• Love 6

Asher in his jammies made my day. Love the "Nom nomming." I also bought that he would try to lighten the mood. You can't stay down forever, bits of normal (well, for Asher) have to creep back in. He really is such a kid. He frequently strikes me as the "youngest," or at least the most emotionally immature (and vulnerable) behind his douchery. Plus I like when characters bring the funny. Especially when the rest of the show is so dark.

I wasn't expecting to find out what happened to Rose so soon. [...]It seems like the general theory floating around after the mid-season break - that Annalise and Eve were manipulative on a case and that led to Rose's death - was more or less accurate.

Excellent point. I'm quick to complain about shows, so I really ought to take a moment to praise the HTGAWM PTB for this. Just because your fans recognize a sensible plot line for how things *could* proceed, does not mean you should give up the perfectly reasonable, (somewhat) well founded and engaging plans you have for your storylines to go digging in the gutters for the most crack-addled, nut job theory out there, just so "no one saw it coming." (Side-eying Marlene King there.)

Chances are, fans will have come up with most permutations anyway. Along those lines, because we've pretty much covered every conceivable hook-up by now, you don't need to do a last minute re-write and have Godzilla!Asher meeting up with the ghost of DA Smugface for improbable and cringe worthy ghost sex. (Side-eying Grey's there.)

I really love Wes and Alfred Enoch is the prettiest man of them all, but I feel like they will not be able to reboot this character in the future if they want to continue with a new storyline next year. He's too far gone to work as a series regular going forward.

I make no secret of my dislike for Wes's character or eagerness to see him gone. Haters gonna hate, so my wanting him gone is kind of expected and in some senses meaningless. Somebody who likes him, on the other hand, having had enough, that's *interesting.* What I would really like to know is why somebody like you (and others) who like(s) the character think(s) he's outstayed his welcome?

Also, beyond the (subjective) pretty, if Wes fans wouldn't mind pointing out some of the things you like about him? I find that can help resuscitate a character in my eyes. For example, I liked his friendship with Laurel, until there again it highlighted him as a user and taker, and not a giver. They might be able to dial it back, but I'm not entirely sold. What sells him for you?

Now I wonder since Bonnie knows Frank killed Lila, does she feel bad for killing Rebecca because the only reason she did it was because she though Rebecca killed Lila. So now she knows she was the one who killed an innocent girl.

I'm worried about Bonnie hearing Laurel/Franks conversation. I could see her being pissed because they continued to let her believe that Wes' gf killed Lila and that led to her killing an innocent girl.

It's hard enough keeping up with who actually did what. Keeping up with who knows what doesn't always happen for me. I thought Bonnie killed Rebecca first and foremost to get them out of their kidnapping dilemma. So it wouldn't have mattered if she was guilty or not of killing Lila? Beyond making Bonnie feel better about "only" having killed a murderer? Or what was the deal there?

I chortled when Eve told Annalise that she could always give the baby away if she felt that she wasn't ready and didn't want the baby. Like Sam would be a-okay with that decision. Eve was totally setting up Annalise's marriage to implode so she could pick up the pieces.

That, plus it had the added bonus of trying to restore the old status quo. If Anna became not only single, but also unattached, no strings, no child or shared custody with an ex...

I am also pretty sure that you can't just *give up* the kid if you're married. You can leave husband and child, but you can't just adopt out the husband's kid without his consent. So I couldn't help but wonder if part of this scene wasn't just to make me doubt things Eve says. Like:

I love the interactions between Annalise and Eve and all the insight that brings. So, Annalise was in therapy for internalized homophobia and ended up falling for her married therapist. That IS interesting.

Yeah, but was she in therapy for that reason? Or is that just Eve's revisionist history, what she has rewritten to better come to terms with Anna's leaving her? ("It's not me, it's your homophobia and/or self hate. Either one will do. Yup.") Personally, I think given Anna's past, it would be more likely that she's in therapy because she was a victim of abuse. And Anna clearly says she and Eve were over before things started with Sam. Of course, Anna is probably defensive about the "married to her (previously married) shrink" thing, so probably not entirely trustworthy either.

Nate is the real mystery -- given all that Anna has put Nate through (job loss, accusation as a murder suspect, vilification for cheating on his terminally ill wife, a beating while he was in jail, all sorts of mind games) and given that his fine, brickhouse ass could probably get close to his choice of women, for him to willingly stay with Anna is surprising.

I think the problem is he doesn't get enough screen time that highlights his character. The show runners clearly know what they have there, and they seem more focused on his other... attributes. But I'd bet Nate lost a lot of "friends" and acquaintances while his wife was so ill (it can really distance you from people), and that the rest will have flaked on him when he was considered guilty. That makes a person bitter, and it isolates even further. Plus I think he's not considered clearly "innocent," and there's way too much mess surrounding him, and I'd bet a lot of people just put distance between themselves and him. I can totally see him valuing the one person he has left, however counterintuitive it may seem.  

It was good, but if DA Nakatomi wants to look into what happened, a short investigation will lead to a cell phone call from someone claiming to be clerk Troy.   A search of the cell phone records would lead back to a cell phone owned by Asher, or whoever made the call from the house ( I have forgotten).  That becomes fraud by misrepresenting himself as an officer of the court.  Which could really snowball if it could be proven that Bonnie was in the room at the same time.

If these peole don't have a couple of burner phones lying around for stuff like this, they deserve to be spanked. Then you can prove the neighborhood, but not the individual. Then Anna would just argue that one of the over-eager cops outside phoned it in. (And the cop who took the call would pass a polygraph.) In theory, if that were the case, and Bonnie hadn't checked, it would have given the cops a jump on their search and decreased the time team Keating had to shred. Doesn't have to be bulletproof, just has to create doubt.

I honestly have no idea why Wes' mother would kill herself, it didn't make sense to me. It seemed like the easiest thing to do would be to just testify and be done with it. I hope it's explained later. That said, if she were to be deported, wouldn't she be able to take Wes with her back to Haiti even though he's a U.S. citizen? 

I love the interactions between Annalise and Eve and all the insight that brings. So, Annalise was in therapy for internalized homophobia and ended up falling for her married therapist. That IS interesting. Sam seems like such a deeply shady person the more I think about it, very lose with boundaries with patients and students. Not that anyone is a good person on this show, but anyway.

Nate is so boring. Sure, he looks like a marble sculpture but he has the personality of one too.

I so wonder what happened to the baby. I hope Annalise didn't give it away and lied about it to Sam as some have speculated... That would almost make me feel for Sam.

The only thing is that her integrity serves no purpose. She doesn't admit or report the threats that were made to her, so her death might (and it's a big might) redirect them from her son, but it won't stop them from getting away with it, either. Now she's taken her life and the only person she could have banked on to put her son first. 

Won't it have made more sense if she had just allowed herself to be deported and/or taken him with her? How is being deported so much worse than dying and living her son mother-less in a situation where people might take out their anger at her on him?

I also think not only is  Wes Charles Mahoney's son, I think that's why Rose came to the US in the first place. I think in some twisted way Mahoney was controlling Rose. He a racist so he's not going to acknowledge Wes as his, but by bringing her to the US and giving her a job in his racist mind he's doing right by her. That's hy the wife was annoyed when when she balked at testifying. So add on top of that the threat to deport her and keep Wes in the states and I can see why it became too much for her. Perhaps she sees in Annalise someone actually capable of standing up to Mahoney and when she (Rose) cracked she just asked that Annallise take care of her boy.

As for Wes and the therapist. I don't like her or trust her. However I do think the Wes character can be redeemed. Most of his trauma stems from being lied and manipulated by Annalise. If eve & Annalise finally tell him the truth he'll be fine. However I don't expect to see the sweet, innocent puppy anymore and that's fine.

Overall I have to say this was the best episode of the season for me. 

• Love 3

I swear this show is going to be the the death of me.

Annalise and Bonnie's slick takedown of that search warrant was everything. I would watch an entire episode of them sitting across from each other making dinner plans while actually planning a bank heist.

YASSSSS!

I live for the slick takedown. And that episode needs to happen ASAP! 

• Love 2

If Wes is his son and he's sorta kinda taking care of the boy by bringing him and Rose in the States, isn't that rather proof that Wes isn't in danger from him, and only Rose is? And is Annalisse, the woman who's defending a man that she's clearly suspecting of committing murder really somebody she can trust to look out for her son if he's in danger? I dunno... The story doesn't add up. I'm not saying there's more to it. I think her suicide is the solution of this particular whodunnit.i just don't think it's a very cohesive mystery.

Supposing Wes is Mahoney's son, with Wes out of the picture, Mahoney's obligations to Rose and Wes are done with. If anything, this is motive for him to hurt Wes, not motive to keep him safe. He probably gave Rose a job and promised to keep his mouth shut about her immigration status - if she tries to get actual child support from him, it'll expose her to ICE. With Wes gone, he has no obligation to Rose anymore and can eliminate her from his life.

If he had motive to hurt Wes before for just existing, won't Rose's death and defiance give him greater motive to hurt Wes? It still doesn't quite explain how Rose feels her death protects Wes.

Well, now there is nobody to say that he (Mahoney) is Wes' father. Wes would just go into the foster system and Mahoney never has to worry about him again.

For me, the biggest question is why Rose felt suicide was a better option than testifying, rather than how her death protects Wes from Mahoney.

(edited)

If Daddy Mahoney is not Wes' dad, I do believe he is somehow related to him. Perhaps Jr. Mahoney. Perhaps it's a coverup for some youthful indiscretion committed by Jr. However even if Wes is Daddy Mahoney's he still values his legal recognized heir above all else. Whatever the cause I think Rose just broke. She was tired of being manipulated and bullied and probably thought with herself out of the picture everyone would leave Wes alone and forget about him. 

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 1

I don't think Mahoney would be a threat to Wes after Rose died because Mahoney is a businessman, and I can't imagine him taking the unnecessary risk of killing a child if it wasn't necessary. I could easily see him murdering someone if there was a reason for it (i.e. if it would benefit Mahoney or his family) but not taking that risk for no clear reason. Mahoney is also so used to getting his way that he'd jut figure he could easily have Wes killed if he ever did become a problem in the future - but there was no reason for Mahoney to believe that there would be any problems.

That's totally speculation, and supposes Mahoney is actually Wes' father - and I agree that I'm not convinced this is the case - but it's what makes the most sense to me.

Wes might have just been "told" that he was born in Haiti, but he obviously knew at some point that he's an American citizen and presumably has the paperwork to support that.

Sometimes I feel like I almost understand Rose, but if I try to think about it at all, that understanding proves too fleeting. Much like when you wake up from a dream and can't get the story straight. (There are too many "but"s.) They really haven't given us enough to work with, especially because things characters say can't be trusted.

While I don't find the character that interesting (Rose unfortunately feels so much more like a plot point than a character to me), given the amount of discussion here about her motivation for killing herself, I hope they revisit her situation again and provide a little more insight. (She might not even be necessary for that. Mr. Mahoney might suffice, or the detective on her case.) I accept that desperate people don't always have good options or make good decisions, but if this many viewers are scratching their heads, then you've probably lost us and have some 'splaining to do.

Thanks to the folks who gave me some insight into Wes positivity. I spotted two things where we primarily differ, that probably explain why we diverged. I think I'll need to do a series rewatch before season three, because while I remember most of the facts of what happened in season one, I apparently don't remember the *feeling*. That goes for all of the characters. They are all so bogged down in their current dark quagmire that it would probably help to revisit who they started out as.

I think Mahoney is probably Wes's dad too, but I don't think all the individual character beats matter all that much here. Wes's dad and the fact that Annalise knew and was there when his mother killed herself are the big ones.

I was more amazed by the way Rose killed herself than anything else. Literally sticking a knife in your throat just seems incredibly painful. I thought her reasons basically boiled down to 'without me here keeping all this drama around him, at least he'll have a chance'. That's just very sad to me.

I loved the warrant scene, from beginning to end. Annalise and Bonnie were perfect there. As was Asher being the only one to pick up a box to shred and how pleased Bonnie was with herself when she confirmed in front of the officer that there wasn't a warrant. Though if Nate hadn't called, that could have been ugly.

I continue to like Annalise and Eve. I think the disconnect with Annalise and her baby is shown when she calls the baby 'it'. I think she wants to be a mother, but I don't think she really wants a child. Much like she can't get over Eve even when she's playing happy family with Sam. My question is if we are supposed to think she's figured any of her shit out now, because I'm not seeing it.

So example #97 Sam is a creeper- Annalise went to him because of confusion over her sexuality. So he slept with her, breaking both his oath as a doctor and his vows as a husband. I really want to know even more now how it started with Bonnie, particularly since I don't think it ever hit the point of actually turning sexual.

I just went back and watched again- Laurel accuses Frank of killing Rebecca but neither ever mentions Lila by name. The closest Laurel gets is 'you killed an innocent girl, strangled her on her roof', then says it was for Annalise. Which is a cop-out but I think if Bonnie really does find out for sure that Frank killed Lila, not Rebecca, she would shatter. I don't see how she could handle that. So maybe the ambiguity is to avoid the full mic drop and consequences there of. This way Bonnie can still deny it to herself.

I think Bonnie was listening to Frank and Laurel to find out what was going on. Frank wouldn't tell her, she wanted to know, so enter the recording device. Every time they show a little of Frank and Bonnie, I want more. At times, they seem more ride or die for each other than they even are for Annalise. It's weird given all the individual dynamics. And at any moment, I think they'd toss the K5 off a cliff with glee. I'm not always sure they'd even save Laurel and Asher. It depends. When Frank said maybe not way better lives before the K5 and she said not covered in blood at least, my first reaction was that if only more of these characters valued that. Maybe then more than just Connor would be looking to transfer. 

Honestly I never had much use for Laurel before but I am really liking her now. That scene in the last ep of her buying plane tickets for her and Wes to go to Ohio and find out what happened was one of my favorite scenes in this series. She kept up that streak this ep. I loved her telling Frank that telling her he loves her via murder reveal is not what she wants. Even more, she doesn't want the kind of person who would do that.

I really like that there have now been two couples who have broken up for real reasons, Frank/Laurel because of Lila and Bonnie/Asher because of his past. Neither was just a horror reaction either. Both women made that decision because of what they could and couldn't stomach based on their own lives. While I would like Bonnie and Asher to get  back together if neither couple can, I'm okay with that too. That would make perfect sense for Bonnie and I can't see Laurel coming around on Frank again. Not with what I've seen of her.

The sleepover didn't really work for me. Asher's antics didn't bother me, even when he's really upset he's only a half second away from that kind of bullshit, but it did bother me that he wasn't concerned in the least about Bonnie. Not one of them mentioned Bonnie or Frank, even though two of them have or had personal relationships with them and the others all know that. And of course the concern that the general humanity of them all working together could inspire. That is just one example of a few points in this ep that I really felt like I missed a few scenes.

Every time they moan about Phillip being a serial killer it takes me a minute to remember what they're talking about. I'm so tired of the Hapstall case. Phillip needs to just kidnap the pretty robot and disappear.

• Love 1
If Daddy Mahoney is not Wes' dad, I do believe he is somehow related to him. Perhaps Jr. Mahoney.

You read my mind.  I’m also thinking that if Rich Douche, Sr. is not Wes’s daddy, then he’s definitely his granddaddy.  They didn’t show us Douche, Jr. for nothing.  Same for the mother.  We only saw her once, but she was a piece of work as well.  I think a whole lot happened between the Douche boys, Rose, the mama and the dead fiancé. I can hardly wait to hear the rest of that story.

I couldn’t help but laugh when Wes/Christophe threw his little tantrum and jumped out of the car and ran away when Rose was trying to escape. It was definite proof that Wes didn’t just become an impulsive and whiny little pain in the azz.  He was always that way.

I thought this was the best episode of the season.  Oddly enough, amid all the gasp out loud moments my favorite scene was actually the little scene of Anna during her sleepover with Nate.  I loved that, rather than a big, sexy love scene between them, we got a little slice of domesticity instead.  Their little kiss as they were lying in bed was everything.  That relationship fascinates me.

Speaking of Nate, how is that no one in the PD or the DA’s office realizes that he’s leaking info to Annalise?

• Love 2

Wow, I did not see Rose actually killing herself happening or Philip attacking Annalise at the end. If anything, this show really does know how to leave a cliffhanger with you.

I did like the flashbacks with Annalise and Eve, although couldn't they have brought up the possibility of the former being bisexual if not gay?

Eve and Wes at the end though, that was interesting.

Asher trolling Laurel with the filming was a reminder that he can be a prat at times. I did like Laurel through this episode and Connor/Michaela had some good moments as did Frank/Bonnie, 8/10

• Love 1

I continue to like Annalise and Eve. I think the disconnect with Annalise and her baby is shown when she calls the baby 'it'. I think she wants to be a mother, but I don't think she really wants a child. Much like she can't get over Eve even when she's playing happy family with Sam. My question is if we are supposed to think she's figured any of her shit out now, because I'm not seeing it.

I just went back and watched again- Laurel accuses Frank of killing Rebecca but neither ever mentions Lila by name. The closest Laurel gets is 'you killed an innocent girl, strangled her on her roof', then says it was for Annalise. Which is a cop-out but I think if Bonnie really does find out for sure that Frank killed Lila, not Rebecca, she would shatter. I don't see how she could handle that. So maybe the ambiguity is to avoid the full mic drop and consequences there of. This way Bonnie can still deny it to herself.

An interesting thing I noticed is that Eve calls the baby "it" at first and Annalise corrects her and tells her she's having a boy, but then later calls the baby "it" herself. Poor woman was probably trying to put on the facade of being an excited expectant mother for Sam, but it just doesn't seem like it was something she wanted to do, at least not then.

Also, we know Bonnie won't suspect Frank of killing Rebecca because she killed Rebecca.

I did like the flashbacks with Annalise and Eve, although couldn't they have brought up the possibility of the former being bisexual if not gay?

Annalise is definitely, at the very least, bisexual, but 10 years ago she was apparently in deep denial about her attraction to women, which kind of surprised me but doesn't seem totally out of left field. We only met Annalise's mother once but she does not strike me as the kind of woman who would have been ok with her daughter bringing home a girlfriend to Thanksgiving. It's understandable that Annalise would have a lot of internalized homophobia that would prevent her from validating her attraction to Eve.

Furthermore, 10 years ago in 2005 (technically the main narrative of this show is still taking place in 2015, as they haven't finished their first year of law school yet), bisexuality did not have as much mainstream acceptance as it does now (not that it has that much now anyway, as bisexuals face a lot of discrimination both within and outside of the LGBT community). I know I've heard a lot of people insist that it's just a phase and that the person identifying as bisexual will eventually pick a team to play for. Annalise still likes men, so she probably didn't think she could be gay and most likely didn't acknowledge bisexuality as an option. The fact that she seemed very comfortable with sleeping with Eve in the present shows that she's probably accepted the validity of her sexuality. 10 years ago she was confused/questioning, but she's grown and the world has changed and now she seems pretty down with it.

• Love 1
(edited)

he fact that she seemed very comfortable with sleeping with Eve in the present shows that she's probably accepted the validity of her sexuality. 10 years ago she was confused/questioning, but she's grown and the world has changed and now she seems pretty down with it.

More than this, I think last season she had that heart to heart with Eve in her kitchen admitting to Eve that what they had together was the most genuine, honest and real love/connection and it scared her, so she ran.  Does anybody remember this?

Sam and Anna looked cute together in those flashbacks but when Eve showed up, that was the first time I saw any real deep connection between Anna and another human being on this show. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 3
(edited)
More than this, I think last season she had that heart to heart with Eve in her kitchen admitting to Eve that what they had together was the most genuine, honest and real love/connection and it scared her, so she ran.  Does anybody remember this?

Yep - i remember. Great scene. And it very much tracks with what we saw of them in this episode. I think there's a lot of unfinished business with Eve and Annalise.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

I think Bonnie was listening to Frank and Laurel to find out what was going on. Frank wouldn't tell her, she wanted to know, so enter the recording device. Every time they show a little of Frank and Bonnie, I want more. At times, they seem more ride or die for each other than they even are for Annalise. It's weird given all the individual dynamics. And at any moment, I think they'd toss the K5 off a cliff with glee. I'm not always sure they'd even save Laurel and Asher. It depends. When Frank said maybe not way better lives before the K5 and she said not covered in blood at least, my first reaction was that if only more of these characters valued that. Maybe then more than just Connor would be looking to transfer. 

I think Annalise's feelings back then about the baby parallel her feelings about the K5. In many ways they are the children she did not want but feels obligated to protect. Granted she started out protecting them because they killed Sam, but even in that instance she could have easily hung them out to dry.

Bonnie knows Frank didn't kill Rebecca because she killed her. I think it's mostly just to find out what Frank did/knows.

• Love 1

I know Nate is hot, but I would be happy if he leaves the show and we get Eva and Annalise.

I like Nate,  I like Anna being caught  between the two. I think Eve is a true deep love connection and if I could dare use happy ending in the same sentence with HTGAWM, then when the show ends it would end with Eve and Anna. But for now, I like him, he seems like an occasional comfort in the storm that is Anna's life. 

Being with Anna is a rush, she's got skills and clearly so does he in and out of bed apparently, so I buy him not being able to walk away. 

When he gets tired and wants to retreat to a white picket fence with a woman who comes with no surprises, then I'll suspect he won't hesitate to do so.

In the mean time, I'm loving the dynamic between he and Anna and then Anna with Eve.