Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

I didn't regard FJ as a gimme, but was suprised to find it a TS given the relatively short time between the events discussed in the clue and the taping of the show

Unless they lived in Cleveland or Miami or were NBA fans, I'd be extremely surprised if anyone knew the name of the Cavaliers coach.  And honestly, I couldn't remember who Eric Cantor is.

My father worked for the Pennsylvania RR when he was young, and loved everything about railroads.  He probably wouldn't have minded me not remembering Boxcar Willie (maybe), but he'd have been disappointed that I couldn't come up with hand car.  I did get the arm motions though.

Edited by proserpina65

but he'd have been disappointed that I couldn't come up with hand car.  I did get the arm motions though.

Immediately after watching Jeopardy! we turned on an episode of American Restoration - they were restoring an old hand car for the railroad museum that must be near their place as they do a lot of items for the museum.  The coincidence made me smile.

• Love 1

I never had a chance on the basketball coach. I knew the guy who'd beaten Cantor had a name that was also a word that was sort of funny under the circumstances, but I couldn't remember it (and don't feel like I should have known it, really; the story was that Cantor was beaten more than it was who beat him). Even if I'd known one name, I don't think I would have gotten the other by guessing. I probably would have changed the B to a P and guessed Pratt or Platt.

• Love 1

Just out of curiosity, is what the SF stands for in BNSF stands for not common knowledge?  It is in my world - I'm just wondering if most people knew that or not.  Since the 3 contestants didn't.

I thought that was common enough knowledge not to be a TS on Jeopardy.  That was probably the TS that surprised me most last night.  Boxcar Willie was the one that made me the saddest.

... he'd have been disappointed that I couldn't come up with hand car.  I did get the arm motions though.

I came up with it at the last second, but while my brain was spinning around trying to remember what it was called, my arms were doing the motion because I could see one plain as day in my head.  So I got a good laugh when Alex said, "Yeah, the [pumping motion] thing."

Thanks!  I thought BNSF should be considered common knowledge (considering also there are only 4 major railroads left plus Amtrak) but as I said, just because its something I hear 100 times a day, doesn't mean everyone else does.    I will admit - even though knowing Members of Congress is also part of my job, I totally blanked on the name of the guy who beat Eric Cantor. 

Though, I always feel that Jeopardy contestants should know things beyond common knowledge.  That's why they are on Jeopardy.

• Love 1

I didn't like that the fellow on the right was dinged for saying dioxy-ribo instead of the full name of DNA. After all the answer said the D stood for this...not the full DNA. I said dioxy-ribo as well and was surprised they demanded the entire phrase.

• Love 3
I didn't like that the fellow on the right was dinged for saying dioxy-ribo instead of the full name of DNA. After all the answer said the D stood for this...not the full DNA. I said dioxy-ribo as well and was surprised they demanded the entire phrase.

Agreed -- that was just a bad question to ask, as DNA is not an acronym formed from 3 distinct words.  If they had instead asked for what the 'N' in DNA stood for, would "what is nucleic" have been accepted ?  Probably.

Technically, yes it is correct that he needed to say the entire word, but it's as confusing as if the clue had asked what the 'S' in LSD stands for  ? 

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I think they were asking what DNA stands for. I was aware of the issue before I saw the episode, so when the clue came up I paid special attention. And it did seem like they were asking for the whole thing. The category just said that it started with D, not that there was some reason to have only part of the whole of DNA as the question.

What was the answer to Final Jeopardy?  A weather bulletin preempted the last few minutes of the show.

What was the Olympics ?

Terri got it right and won (she was in the middle position), the other two guessed "What is the Bicentennial ?", which was my guess as well.

Final Jeopardy was "What are the Olympics?"

Strictly speaking the 1984 Olympics.  I didn't know that, but it is what I would have guessed.  Only one of the contestants got it.  Two said the Bicentennial.

The Olympics came to me immediately. I was surprised by the Bicentennial answers, but I guess that wasn't so weird. 

I was tickled to learn that the face in the Goodwill logo is a G. I never noticed that before, nor that the Toberlone logo has a bear in the mountain.

I missed tonight’s episode, but I must thank the posters of PTV for my getting FJ right – I never watched HIMYM, but when I read the clue I asked myself what long-running show I’d recently seen people complaining about the way it ended, and voila.

In that same episode, I was surprised to see Six Degrees of Separation and Martin Luther King, Jr.go unanswered, and I was yelling, “What is suede?” at the TV.  Even louder with Gorillas in the Mist.  I had no clue on Nimrod, however; I know it as a term for idiot, but had no idea it was a character's name.

And I thought the DNA clue was clearly seeking the entire answer, so took no issue with that ruling; the category merely indicated science-related words beginning with D and the verbiage of the clue flat-out asked what DNA stands for.  The lead-in about taking a big breath is a further hint it’s a long answer.

I was so distracted by the middle contestant's mannerisms tonight. Terri I think was her name. She kept twisting her upper body from side to side like an Austin Powers fembot shooting bullets from her bosom.

• Love 7
I was tickled to learn that the face in the Goodwill logo is a G. I never noticed that before, nor that the Toberlone logo has a bear in the mountain.

I know! I found some other interesting logo secrets here. I think Under Armour should have been replaced with something else from this list.

• Love 1

I was so distracted by the middle contestant's mannerisms tonight. Terri I think was her name. She kept twisting her upper body from side to side like an Austin Powers fembot shooting bullets from her bosom.

That was driving me nuts, too. But I liked her gutsy DD wager and the fact that she picked her next clues very quickly. The game moved fast, which I love.

I know! I found some other interesting logo secrets here. I think Under Armour should have been replaced with something else from this list.

Those logos are great. I knew about the Baskin-Robbins one, but I think I'd missed that Amazon logo (from A to Z). They're all clever.

• Love 1
The category was four-letter words with three syllables, so I'm confused how Luau and Euro were acceptable answers.

I believe the category was four-letter words with three vowels.

Yes, it was four letter words with three vowels.

I completely blanked on Final Jeopardy, and I'm annoyed with myself because I know the answer, and I'm a huge Olympics fan. Plus, my husband and I were discussing this theme song just this past Winter Olympics.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Love 1

I loved Breaking Bad but had no clue on FJ because the joke totally went over my head LOL

Gaston is a perfect name for that dude :-)  Also, there were a few clues where he answered incorrectly because he didn't listen, something like person not movie, place not person. I thought he was just nervous but he did it a few times.

• Love 3

I was shallowly rooting for Brendan. I have a weakness for guys with ponytails, and the Christopher Walken impression won me over even more. 

There were some surprising TS's. I thought every Jeopardy viewer knew that female author + Nebraska = Willa Cather.

I was proud of myself for getting FJ. This was the first one in several days I figured out. Yesterday, all I could think of was the moon landing.

At first I didn't think I could figure FJ out. I knew that Albuquerque was significant, and I thought to myself that's where Breaking Bad took place, and then I saw 'lung cancer' and the lightbulb went off.

I can't say I was rooting for Brendan… because I wasn't. :p He was bugging me with his sloppy play (not listening) and something about his demeanor. At least he got MacArthur. Jeez, I was shocked that Carol said 'Patton,' then it seemed like no one would get it.

Babette's Feast is a favorite movie of mine.

I thought after the commercial break that Terri would get credit for 'simple syrup.' I guess the proportions aren't correct though.

I like Terri.

• Love 3

Strictly speaking the 1984 Olympics.  I didn't know that, but it is what I would have guessed.

I knew it was the Olympics, but didn't know the year, and was surprised they didn't want a more specific answer.

I would hate to be on Jeopardy, do well in in both rounds and lose in Final Jeopardy because I didn't watch a particular TV show.  That would really stink.

That's what would've happened to me (well, assuming I'd done well in the earlier rounds) because I have never seen a single second of Breaking Bad, know very little about it and had no idea it took place in New Mexico.

I also would never have bet $10,000 on the last Daily Double in the second round when I was that far ahead, but if it had worked on Monday, it would've been a genius bet.

• Love 2

That's what would've happened to me (well, assuming I'd done well in the earlier rounds) because I have never seen a single second of Breaking Bad, know very little about it and had no idea it took place in New Mexico.

The thing that bugs me is that this was the 2nd TV show related FJ in 3 days -- last Friday was about the ending of How I Met Your Mother, and last night Breaking Bad.

And the FJ clue was really similar to a clue from back in the spring about the funeral for another TV show character that had public memorial (the answer was "What is Ewing ?").

Are the writers tapped out of ideas for FJ categories ?

• Love 1

My first reaction to FJ was "Who is Smokey the Bear" because lung cancer=smoking=smoke, and I think I read that Smokey was retired last year as a spokes-ursine. But as soon as I thought of it, I knew it was wrong. Since I made it through about 15 minutes of one episode of Breaking Bad (ooh, another middle-aged white guy anti-hero...how groundbreaking...) I had no chance at the correct answer.

• Love 1

ABay, I was thinking along similar lines, though I went with the Marlboro Man. I've never watched Breaking Bad, though I knew it took place in Albuquerque. Still, for some reason, that part of the answer just whizzed right past me. I thought it was a totally easy question until I realized I was wrong. Heh.

• Love 1

My wife got WW, but I was skunked.  What threw me off was that the clue said the answer got a "real obituary".  Since there can't be a "real" obituary for a fictional character, the answer was wrong wrong wrong and I would have appealed it all the way to the Supreme Court.

• Love 1

At least he got MacArthur. Jeez, I was shocked that Carol said 'Patton,' then it seemed like no one would get it.

I knew the answer but I have a feeling I knew it from all those years of watching MASH as opposed to knowing my history. 

• Love 2

Although I got FJ, I also was confused about the clue. Maybe if the word "real" had been in quotes that would have been better. I mean, I suppose it was a real obituary for a fictional character. Actually, since the category was Fauxbituaries, why even include the word "real"?

My grandfather (who has since passed away) used to grumble how Jeopardy! was dumbed down, now. Having TV shows be FJ answers would completely chap his ass, and I can't argue too much, either.

• Love 1

I got Walter White immediately, but I remember reading about that obit somewhere else, and that was my favorite show when it was on. I swore they had a clue about that previously, but I might have confused it with another show.

The TV questions don't usually bother me (although I prefer when they ask about older shows for some reason), but I could see how some would see that as dumbing down the show. I didn't get the How I Met Your Mother FJ the other day because I've never watched the show, so I could see how something like that could be frustrating. 

I think pop culture should absolutely be part of the game, but I'm less enthused about it constituting a FJ clue (although I don't mind clues where there is more than one way of getting to the answer, e.g. where someone familiar with the show, film, song, etc. will know it from that but one unfamiliar with it can still reason their way to it based on historical context or something).

• Love 2