Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

Okay, I just watched it. Full disclosure. I didn't watch the whole Tournement. Just the final episode. I just never got into the Teen Tournement. Anyway, are you kidding me? They go to a tie breaker and you buzz in? Has this been done before? It was so uneventful. The tie was more exciting. I thought they were going to play the jeopardy theme again and the boys were going to write their answer. That was a total letdown.

Does anyone remember when their was a Final 3 of all girls? I don't recall how many years ago but the one girl answered one question with, "who is Bella?" and everyone laughed. The girl who won had braces and she was so excited and the two other girls were so happy they got their answers right and they were just as excited. That was a good ending. Tonight's episode....not so much. IMO!!!

That was deeply dissatisfying. I'm sure it was heavily edited but the aired version was so quick I didn't even realize they had to ring in to win. A tie would have been more palatable to me.

Hershey was also ridiculous for a DD.

Cooper was so despondent much of the show I felt so badly for him.

So reruns start Monday? I hope every repeat has Julia in it.

• Love 1

The tie breaking question was tailor made for Jeff, the Geography wiz. Not saying he wasn't deserving, but the producers handed him a gift there at the end.

Edited by Hpmec

I agree that end was a let down.  It would have been really great if they had let the tie stand.  But Alan walked away with $54,000.  Not bad for two days.  Even Cooper had an impressive total, especially since he only started with $200.  I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed the teen championship games.

That was deeply dissatisfying. I'm sure it was heavily edited but the aired version was so quick I didn't even realize they had to ring in to win.

I'm glad to hear that because I was like Huh? What just happened? Kind of a weird way to break a tie IMO, unless they don't have enough time to do another FJ.

My fave Cooper didn't win but I hope he felt good about winning that much $.

Edited by YoureSoUrban

One thing is driving me crazy. Wasn't the category called "3 letter words with 2 syllables"? Yet most of the answers only had 1 syllable. I'm so confused.

The category name was actually "Three Letter Words With Two Vowels".

Okay, I just watched it. Full disclosure. I didn't watch the whole Tournement. Just the final episode. I just never got into the Teen Tournement. Anyway, are you kidding me? They go to a tie breaker and you buzz in? Has this been done before? It was so uneventful. The tie was more exciting. I thought they were going to play the jeopardy theme again and the boys were going to write their answer. That was a total letdown.

Does anyone remember when their was a Final 3 of all girls? I don't recall how many years ago but the one girl answered one question with, "who is Bella?" and everyone laughed. The girl who won had braces and she was so excited and the two other girls were so happy they got their answers right and they were just as excited. That was a good ending. Tonight's episode....not so much. IMO!!!

I don't remember the year, but I remember the Bella moment. The laugh came because she said it with such a disdainful sighing eyeroll. Edited by GaryE

I also was expecting a second FJ, but then I realized if they did it that way, there was a good chance it would end in another tie. 

I didn't see the tournament either, just last night's game, and was pulling for Alan all the way. He seemed awfully nice, and I loved when he asked Alex, "What did you and Ken talk about for all those episodes?" Ha ha!

Edited: I wrote Jeff when I meant Alan. The young man in the middle.

Edited by rubaco
  • Love 1

Wow, a buzz-in question? That seems kind of flimsy given how much money was at stake. I think the audience would have been much happier seeing co-champs than one contestant eking out the victory on a question that played heavily into his strengths.

At least Alan and Cooper still walked away with nice chunks of change.

I too think it would have been better to let them be co-champs, just because the buzz-in tie-breaker seemed really silly and anticlimactic. It was over because I even had time to realize that they were supposed to buzz in. Oh well. The other two got great totals, higher than the respective minimums, so it was still a good day all around for everyone.

one contestant eking out the victory on a question that played heavily into his strengths.

Since the choice of category and question was random, it could have just as easily have played into Alan's strengths.  And another FJ could have been a tie again, as rubaco just stated.  So a buzz-in question was the better option, plus taking less time than another FJ.  I'm just glad that someone got it right away - how embarrassing it would be if they had to do several buzz-in questions:) 

I noticed that Jeff realized it was going to be a tie, even before they revealed his FJ answer - he seemed a little flustered about it.

I was glad Cooper did so well in last night's game so he ended up with a decent amount of money.  And Alan's result was great too - so much better than the designated second and third place amounts, which were kind of piddly I thought. 

I found the Bella answer on YouTube. It's from the 2012 Teen Tournement. 3 very cute & intelligent girls. Sort of young Julia Colllins in training. LOL!!!

Edited by ByaNose

I noticed that Jeff realized it was going to be a tie, even before they revealed his FJ answer - he seemed a little flustered about it.

Alex seemed to think that Jeff realized he had gotten it wrong. Jeff obviously figured out the math and knew they had tied. I didn't think he was flustered, but just kind of amazed that they had tied. He's certainly not shy about reacting to things.

Although I'd prefer new episodes, I missed part of the Battle of the Decades so I'm happy for the repeats. One thing I missed was how they construed "decade" because it seemed like many of the players in any given decade actually played in an another. For (totally made up) example: Ms. X who originally played in 1975 is in 1960s week.

I found the Bella answer on YouTube. It's from the 2012 Teen Tournement. 3 very cute & intelligent girls. Sort of young Julia Colllins in training. LOL!!!

I would like to see that question again to see if it still makes me laugh, but I can't find it. Can you link?

Although I'd prefer new episodes, I missed part of the Battle of the Decades so I'm happy for the repeats. One thing I missed was how they construed "decade" because it seemed like many of the players in any given decade actually played in an another. For (totally made up) example: Ms. X who originally played in 1975 is in 1960s week.

Because the current version of Jeopardy started in 1984, they broke it into three 10 year blocks -- 1984-1993, 1994-2003, 2004-present -- which explains how some contestants appeared to be shifted into the wrong decade.

I would like to see that question again to see if it still makes me laugh, but I can't find it. Can you link?

Here's the link -- Katherine in the middle is responsible for the Bella response, about 50 seconds in.

Because the current version of Jeopardy started in 1984, they broke it into three 10 year blocks -- 1984-1993, 1994-2003, 2004-present -- which explains how some contestants appeared to be shifted into the wrong decade.
Aha! Thanks, @ottoDbusdriver.

Thanks, Otto. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to link or not. Katherine was a looker with brains. That was over 2 years ago. I'm guessing she's in college now, right? I think the 3 of them should return for college week. It would be interesting to see them again & to compete.

I was glad Cooper did so well in last night's game so he ended up with a decent amount of money.  And Alan's result was great too - so much better than the designated second and third place amounts, which were kind of piddly I thought. 

Wouldn't Alan have won if he had just bet more money?  He had the most money going into Final Jeopardy, didn't he?  I can see why Jeff seemed a little confused by it.    

I have to edit this.  I must be wrong since they came to Jeff last.  Sorry.

Edited by SierraMist

I must be wrong since they came to Jeff last.  Sorry.

After they revealed Alan's answer and wager, Jeff did the math so he knew it was going to be a tie before his answer and wager were revealed.  He probably had a hard time not blurting it out right away:)

• Love 1

That was a crappy way to determine the tournament champion.  Not that I can come up with a better way to handle the tie-breaker.  They really should just have had co-champions and give both young men $75,000.  But at the very least, Alex could've had a minute or two to explain how it would actually work.

(I freely admit that I found Jeff extremely annoying and might not feel the same way about the tie-breaker if a different contestant had won it.)

• Love 2

They could have re-edited the interviews to be shorter, though. 

What's funny is I had just had a conversation during the semi-finals about what would happen if there were a tie in a game where they definitely needed one winner (to move on to the finals).

I thought it was edited weirdly, too.  They display the first response in FJ & Alex says something about "we now know the empire state bldg isn't correct..."  Huh?  How did we know that?  The whole show was choppy, too.  I think I'm skipping the teachers.

So, not only are we getting the teachers' tournament instead of the decades tournament, they apparently are showing only week two.  So maybe we will get all of the decades tournament - it's okay with me since I missed a lot of both tournaments.

I was hoping they were back today!!  I'll be able to watch a few episodes before heading out of the country for a few weeks, and I am not going to set my dvr to record it while I'm gone, what with all the other shows starting up their seasons. I hope y'all keep me up-to-date on any good questions or funny stuff that happens while I'm gone!!

Lucked into FJ. The only hat book I could think of was The Cat in the Hat, and what do you know....

Same here - I thought of The Cat in the Hat and Dr. Seuss, and when he mentioned the "500 hats of someone who's never been in my kitchen" I thought I was wrong.

What a crappy first show of the season!

That was awful. Did some of them not understand the last letter and first letter of each state category? There were a lot of low-valued clues that were TS's. Strange game and not at all entertaining. It doesn't help that I just watched the Decades Tournament over the weekend while clearing my DVR.