Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

According J-Archive.com, the $800 clue in the Comic Books category was:

Real name Harleen Quinzel, this gal fell in love with the Joker

And they even accompanied the clue with a picture of the character, so yeah since it was a Double Jeopardy round clue pronouncing it as 'Harlequin' should not have been accepted. I'm in agreement with @Trini about this.

I got it, but only because I'd just watched an episode of "Comic Book Men" where Kevin Smith's daughter Harley Quinn Smith was featured.

We were four questions into that CP category before we figured out what the hell they were looking for.  Worst category in recent memory.

Streisand was my initial response but I thought 1962 was too early so I switched to Andrews. D'oh! Always go with your first instinct!

My mom kept all of her old Playbills from the days when she had to save for months to get the money to see a Broadway play.  She put them on eBay a couple years ago as a batch, and a bidding war broke out. She finally sold them for around a grand, and had no idea why.  Turns out it was the Playbill for Streisand in I Can Get It For You Wholesale that was the big draw.  So that's why I was so confident in my answer.  Thanks, Mom!

As someone who saved my pennies to see Bette Midler on Broadway in the 1970s, I had to giggle at the college student for guessing her. On one hand, it made me feel REALLY old.  OTOH, he was cute as a bug's ear, and about as young, so it evened out.

• Love 4

That 'Complete the C.P. initials' category in the Double Jeopardy round was plain confusing -- especially the $2000 clue that was about the initials CPC, but somehow there was a 'U' word in the answer.

They were asking about the insurance designation, CPCU. It was terribly worded, but I got really excited because I have those letters after my name. It's the first time I've ever seen it asked about on Jeopardy. I guess they thought the "U" and "insurance" in the clue would lead people to the answer of "underwriter" but I'm not surprised it stumped everyone.

I got all of them right in the category, but it was definitely bizarre.

I got Babs right away and was quite proud of myself. I love the theater, but living in flyover country, I only get to see the traveling versions of most shows.

I have a great affinity for Halloween so perhaps this is just something that I knew and may not be common knowledge, but I think showing a freaking picture of a turnip really insults the intelligence of Jeopardy! viewers and contestants.

And the Donner Party as a $1000 clue was ridiculous.

I thought Tom Clancy was pretty obvious, the title just sounded like something he would write, I was surprised Bill struggled with it.

At first I thought FJ was just too obscure and I had no hope, but then I started running through restaurants in my head and the music went bomp bomp and I blurted out Ruby Tuesday. Which happens to be one of my favorite restaurants, for shame.

Did they really show a picture of Las Vegas at night and ask to name to the city ?  What is this -- the Teen Tournament ?

I know she couldn't win, but what was the woman in the middle doing during FJ when she was turned around and waving at someone, only to rush writing down her answer.

The new champ's answer probably should have graded as incorrect, because they were looking for the name of the restaurant chain and "goodbye" is not in the name of the restaurant.

I liked Alex's tie tonight.

ETA: I agree with @mojoween about the turnip and Donner Party clues as well, they were as bad as the Vegas clue.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

I know she couldn't win, but what was the woman in the middle doing during FJ when she was turned around and waving at someone, only to rush writing down her answer.

I wondered about that too. Very strange... She was pretty knowledgeable but took too long reading categories for my "Don't leave any clues on the board!!" obsession.

I don't think they should have accepted "Goodbye" in FJ but I don't mind because I like the new champ and it got Matthew off my TV forever.

• Love 4

" I don't think they should have accepted "Goodbye" in FJ but I don't mind because I like the new champ and it got Matthew off my TV forever." Hallelujah! Matthew was soooo hard to watch.

I was wondering why the lady in the middle was flailing around with her arm, too.

The new champ's answer probably should have graded as incorrect, because they were looking for the name of the restaurant chain and "goodbye" is not in the name of the restaurant.

They were looking for the name of the song, not the name of the restaurant, and apparently the Jeopardy rules allow for some leeway on song titles.

• Love 1

Didn't the clue call for the name of the restaurant chain? There is no "Goodbye" in the name Ruby Tuesday. I'm surprised they gave it to him. He would still have won either way, but that just seemed very generous.

On edit, looking at the clue gain, I can see why they gave it to him. However, it was still a judgment call and even the contestant thought he got it wrong.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 1

It looked like someone called out to Dori, because she looked up so quickly and then waved. I assume it's a big no-no for the audience to speak.

I really didn't like when Matthew kept answering the place category with "Where is [whatever]." It sounded so odd, and really, to my ears, doesn't sound right unless the answer is something like, "Located in the middle of Africa, this…."

• Love 1

Did I hear the Matthew guy talking about karaoke and actually say "What really gets the crowds fired up is (something) and Shout by the Isley Brothers"? I bet you are a ball of fire, Matthew.

• Love 1

Thank goodness Matthew is gone.  I couldn't stand another day of him.  (Yes, I know that makes me superficial to judge him on how he comes across on television, but it is what it is.)

I got the FJ, but only after first answering "Sticky Fingers" because I've actually been to that restaurant in London, then realizing that Sticky Fingers was the title of an RS album, not a song.  I was surprised that the guy who won was credited with a correct answer since I've always seen the song title as "Ruby Tuesday", not "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday", but Jeopardy has gotten sloppy about that sort of thing lately.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I got the FJ, but only after first answering "Sticky Fingers" because I've actually been to that restaurant in London,

Me too! Except all I could think of was "Sticky Fingers," and I was sure that wasn't it. 

I usually preview the FJ clue on the website, but think they forgot to post it yesterday. As soon as Alex said "Restaurant chain", Ruby Tuesday popped into my head. Had more difficulty w/the last one - the 2 time Tony winner. I guessed Julie Andrews, then Carol Channing, as I had no idea.

A tie!  Don't see that often.

I was rooting for Jenica all along.  She was doing well and then had some stumbles in Double Jeopardy (including that tough Daily Double about Turks and Caicos), but she came back.

FJ was easy today.

• Love 1

I guessed Adam and Eve.  But if I could get a Bible clue right, it would be too easy for FJ.

This was an enjoyable game.  But I thought survivalism, Barbados and rocking chair were a bit surprising as triple stumpers. 

Good on Vince Gilligan getting his own category.  I really only know him as an X-Files writer (and they picked probably his worst XF episode to ask about), but I got all but one.

I loved (and ran) the Oscar songs in other words category; I generally enjoy categories like that.

• Love 1
Was the woman on the end too young to remember Clinton's fast food reputation? That miss was surprising to me.

That was running joke for Clinton's two terms that he used to go jogging all the time and ended up running to fast food joints.  Plus the year (1994) was a mid-term year, so it had to be chef to Clinton in '94.

I wondered if "Satan" should have been accepted as part of the FJ answer, since Genesis never says that the serpent was Satan in disguise. The identification of the two came much later.

Was the woman on the end too young to remember Clinton's fast food reputation? That miss was surprising to me.

Maybe she was thinking of the flap that arose when George H.W. Bush publicly stated that he disliked broccoli. Scorn for healthy food may = love for junk food to some people.

Edited by GreekGeek

Yeah, with all the "Clinton spotted at McDonald's again" type hoopla during his administration - not to mention, you know, the year - I was surprised she missed that.  Screwing up the Turks and Caicos DD was an unexpected whiff, too, but she played a good game.

And I wondered if the incorrect guess of George H.W. Bush for the indigestion clue sprang from his infamous vomiting at the table incident and the contestant just forgot that meal wasn't prepared at the White House.

Edited by Bastet

Another tie! Wow. Did not like the woman who tied with the champ tonight. She sounded very strange when answering. I forget the first answer but it sounded like she was being sarcastic without reason. I almost expected Alex to say something.

• Love 1

Maybe she was thinking of the flap that arose when George H.W. Bush publicly stated that he disliked broccoli. Scorn for healthy food may = love for junk food to some people.

And we can go back one more with Reagan declaring ketchup a vegetable!

Yeah, with all the "Clinton spotted at McDonald's again" type hoopla during his administration - not to mention, you know, the year...

And I wondered if the incorrect guess of George H.W. Bush for the indigestion clue sprang from his infamous vomiting at the table incident and the contestant just forgot that meal wasn't prepared at the White House.

I don't know the exact wording, but I think the year only let us know when the chef quit. I think the year didn't automatically mean the answer was Clinton, because the chef who quit in 1994 worked in the GHW Bush era, too. I agree that the incident in Japan probably messed up the one player.

They seemed to be pretty well telegraphing the answer with any dates in those WH chef clues, so even without remembering all the jokes about Clinton's eating habits it would have been a safe bet to assume the year given fell within a term.

They seemed to be pretty well telegraphing the answer with any dates in those WH chef clues, so even without remembering all the jokes about Clinton's eating habits it would have been a safe bet to assume the year given fell within a term.

Unless you're someone like me, who can't remember what years were election years and who got elected when half the time.  I got the Clinton one right because I remember the jogging to McDonald's jokes, but got most of the rest of the chef questions wrong.  (Heck, I couldn't even figure out when Obama got elected the first time.  Well, not in time to answer first anyway.)

Edited by proserpina65

My first thought was Cain and Abel but then I remembered their Mom and the snake.   I wouldn't have guessed Adam since I figured she spoke to the snake before getting Adam to eat the apple but I didn't know (or remember since I read it at some point when I was younger) that Adam and Eve didn't have a conversation.  Besides Madam, I'm Adam of course :-)

Absolutely. It would have been kind of fun/tricky for the writers to sneak in a question where the chef had worked under two presidents and the year was therefore misleading.

I think the English prof made a major boo boo by allowing Jenica to tie with him.  She seems pretty formidable.  Hope it doesn't come back to bite him.

So of course they both lose.

I didn't understand the wager by the new champ (or maybe I'm not remembering the totals going into FJ) -- didn't he have a runaway with a $200 margin.  So he wagered $200 and if Jenica had been correct and bet it all, it would have been a tie again ?

Alex even stated that the new champ's last successful answer was really important (because it gave him enough for a runaway going into FJ).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Not sad to see Jenica go. She seemed immature. I wouldn't admit to picking a major based on a TV show, especially one that's not realistic. And her voice really annoyed me. Sad to see the co-champ go, though.

• Love 1

I didn't understand the wager by the new champ (or maybe I'm not remembering the totals going into FJ) -- didn't he have a runaway with a $200 margin.  So he wagered $200 and if Jenica had been correct and bet it all, it would have been a tie again ?

He had 19,800. Jenica had 8,800. She couldn't have caught him.

Terpsichorean is another word for dancer?

None of the contestants got it and I don't think I've even heard that word before.  I'm glad when I learn something watching this show.

I got it! I think it comes from the name of a Greek god.

I'm sorry Bill didn't do better, but I'm happy Ryan won. He seems really nice and has a pleasant face.

I didn't get FJ, but when Bill's answer of Henry James was revealed, I slapped my forehead. Of course!

I was surprised no one got Mountain Dew. I don't remember that slogan --  It'll tickle your innards -- but it sure fits the sodie pop.

I was also surprised no one knew Idi Amin was the ruler of Uganda.

I didn't quite get why Ryan shook his head after getting Zephaniah right. My guess is that he didn't think he pronounced it correctly. I thought it was funny that he said "D-jango Unchained," since in the movie the character says that the D is silent.