Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

"Felix" is happy or lucky in Latin. (Thank you, Harry Potter.)

I never took latin in school, so I guess I was SOL when it came to that clue.

Kind of like how Alexander ran that Books in Spanish category -- if you didn't know any Spanish, you were basically screwed.

I know very little Spanish (hola!) but easily got all of the books because they were all famous, and although I never took Latin I knew Felix means happy or lucky (feliz navidad, felicitous) even without Harry Potter. The clues are generally written to provide a chance to work out the answer based on other general knowledge even if you don't know it immediately, or at least they used to be. I'm not feeling the love for the clues so far this season.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

I went with Baffin more because of the date than anything else. I knew it couldn't be Tasmania since it was the early 1600s, long before Capt. Cook's voyage, and Baffin was the biggest New World island I could think of.

From the shallow end of the pool (where I seem to have been treading water for a disturbingly long time)....

I thought both guy contestants were really attractive, so I admit to a twinge of regret that the female contestant won.  OTOH, she deserved it, and kudos to her for coming up with Baffin Island, which I admit to never having heard of.  (I was so proud of my guess of Tasmania.)

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 3

I learned somewhere once upon a time that Baffin Island is the 5th largest island in the world. I have no idea where I learned that, but it's stuck with me, so I immediately knew the answer was Baffin Island, even though I had no idea it was named after a person or who that person was.

I guessed Greenland for FJ and have to confess I've never heard of Baffin Island.  My bet for any geography category is 0, and I say I would bet negative money if I could since I never get correct answers.

• Love 1

I had no clue on the FJ, none.  

What surprised me was the contestant missing the "bet your bottom dollar" DJ earlier in the show, especially since they mentioned Annie in the clue--but then, I suppose there was a limited amount of time when you Just Could Not Avoid hearing the "Tomorrow" song several times a day, thus having it burned into your brain forevermore.

• Love 1
I was thinking wine, not mustard for FJ. I was clueless anyways.

Panama Canal as a TS? Really??

It looked the middle contestant didn't really read the FJ clue because she put an ingredient versus a city name.

Other TS that surprised me -- Dunkirk.  Port Said on the Suez Canal.

Other TS that surprised me -- Dunkirk.  Port Said on the Suez Canal.

Those surprised me too.  Also C & O (Chesapeake & Ohio RR) but perhaps it is more obscure than I would have thought - since I watched all those trains in my childhood, all pulled by C&0 engines:)

DH said Dijon mustard for FJ - I pointed out that they wanted only the city so technically I got it right and he didn't:)

Someone's going to have to tell me when Matthew looses. I can't bear to watch him again.

He reminds me of the first Austin Powers movie after Austin was defrosted and had problems controlling the volume level of his voice -- and his pronunciations of some words was just weird.

• Love 2

Not a very entertaining game.  None of the contestants was impressive, or engaging.  As has been pointed out, some puzzling TS - Dunkirk!   Ugh!   I'm predisposed to like guys named Matthew (my son's name), but I just cannot watch another game with this guy.  I had to laugh at the "I'm sexy" category - all women and Jon Hamm. 

• Love 1

Yes, Matthew's volume is grating--is he trying to sound like a sports announcer?--but I admit I was rooting against the woman in the middle. I'd rather have a shouting "TEETATOTALER" than someone who seemed as bored and toneless as she was. Maybe she was disgusted that the game was becoming a runaway and just disengaged?

• Love 1

Not a very entertaining game.  None of the contestants was impressive, or engaging.  As has been pointed out, some puzzling TS - Dunkirk!   Ugh!   I'm predisposed to like guys named Matthew (my son's name), but I just cannot watch another game with this guy.  I had to laugh at the "I'm sexy" category - all women and Jon Hamm.

I think it was 3 women and 2 men, but I just can't think of the second guy.

Yesterday's losing champion (Alexander?), this chick in the middle today and the super-annoying Colby Burnett all have something in common - something that annoys the hell out of me.  They simply cannot start a sentence without "So" being the first word.

Alex: How did you (whatever)? 

One of the three: So I was sitting there, pondering...

And why the heck would anyone collect a book in languages they can't read?  I thought that was bizarre.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the game because it was fast-paced, and I thought Matthew's social awkwardness was clearly something he couldn't help-- he seemed good-natured and I have nothing against him or the woman in the middle.

I would hate to go on this show and have to not only know all the info the game asks you to know, and be quick on the buzzer, and come up with an amusing banter for Alex, then also have to have my face, voice, posture, character, personality, wardrobe, and Q factor raked over the coals. I imagine being on the show is a lifelong dream for most of the contestants. I think the pressure has to be killer. It's remarkable to me that more of them aren't stammering, sweating like maniacs, and laughing nervously or displaying other nervous tics.

I thought the book collecting was cool; you can learn something of a language by reading the same story in multiple tongues. It's certainly no worse than any other collecting hobby. Having not traveled much, I was actually impressed she'd been to more than 10 countries, and because of my idea of collectors being very data-conscious, I was very surprised she didn't know exactly how many books she actually had. That made her seem quite relaxed, to me!

The returning champ was off her game, with forgetting to form a question for "librettist." I was surprised neither of the others rang in after Alex ruled her incorrect. Did they not notice her mistake?

• Love 4

Was the middle contestant who collects books sitting down? It looked like she had a chair behind her. The others looked to be standing as usual.

I knew it was a mustard for the FJ but guessed Poupon. I didn't think of Dijon.

I also really hate when people start sentences with "So." I notice it every time and it really sounds unintelligent. It's the new "like" in vocal tics.

Edited by gwlisa
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the game because it was fast-paced, and I thought Matthew's social awkwardness was clearly something he couldn't help-- he seemed good-natured and I have nothing against him or the woman in the middle.

I would hate to go on this show and have to not only know all the info the game asks you to know, and be quick on the buzzer, and come up with an amusing banter for Alex, then also have to have my face, voice, posture, character, personality, wardrobe, and Q factor raked over the coals. I imagine being on the show is a lifelong dream for most of the contestants. I think the pressure has to be killer. It's remarkable to me that more of them aren't stammering, sweating like maniacs, and laughing nervously or displaying other nervous tics.

The returning champ was off her game, with forgetting to form a question for "librettist." I was surprised neither of the others rang in after Alex ruled her incorrect. Did they not notice her mistake?

True about the pressure being killer; I've been there. As for one's appearance and speech on TV, I can accept that if I'm going to be seen by millions, they are going to judge how I look and how I come across, will have their opinions good and bad, and will voice them on forums such as this. Contestant coordinators run mock interviews to minimize the possibility of people's being total duds on the air.

• Love 3

I usually notice verbal tics and crutches -- you know, like, um -- but I missed the "so" in this ep. I wasn't paying much attention during the interview portion, so maybe that's why.

With the "librettist" answer, I was sure she had mumbled "What is," so I replayed that part. No, she didn't. I don't know why I thought I heard it. 

With the "librettist" answer, I was sure she had mumbled "What is," so I replayed that part. No, she didn't. I don't know why I thought I heard it.

I thought I heard it too so it's not just you.  I was waiting for them to correct the score.

I guessed Baffin Island on Wednesday; I knew it couldn't be Tasmania since it was called Van Dieman's Land until 1856 and wasn't even discovered until after the date in the clue.

And I know this makes me a terrible person, but I really wanted something heavy to fall on last night's winner; he had the flattest affect of anyone I've ever seen on the show.  I think I won't be watching again until after he loses because I simply can't watch him.

• Love 1

It wasn't about the pronunciation; it was the wrong answer. The correct answer was "Harley Quinn".

What was the clue?  The contestant's answer didn't strike me as wrong at the time, but it's been a couple of days.

* Just realized this was probably on Tuesday's show.   Jeopardy was half-way over by the time I got home that night, and I ended up having to try rounding up an escaped indoor cat and missed most of the show.  So I likely didn't see this part anyway.  Whoops!

Edited by proserpina65

I knew it couldn't be Tasmania since it was the early 1600s, long before Capt. Cook's voyage,

Tasmania was discovered before Cook's voyages.  First European siting/landing was by Abel Tasman in 1642.

Yest. 7:58 pm

I was thinking wine, not mustard for FJ. I was clueless anyways.

I guessed Dijon at the last minute only because I was trying to think of a food named after a French City and that suddenly popped into my head.

Other TS that surprised me -- Dunkirk.  Port Said on the Suez Canal.

Those surprised me too.  Also C & O (Chesapeake & Ohio RR)

I thought someone got C&O correctly.  Port Said didn't surprise me - I didn't get it - but the Panama Canal and Dunkirk?  Really?

The C&O canal question was answered correctly.

I wasn't paying full attention at the moment (standing in the doorway listening to the TV while looking into the yard to make sure my cat hadn't jumped the wall for an unauthorized journey), so I couldn't tell whether the problem was she was getting the word wrong or she'd forgotten to phrase it in the form of a question the first time.  I thought it was the latter, though, so was also surprised neither of the other contestants rang in.

Was the middle contestant who collects books sitting down? It looked like she had a chair behind her.

I thought so, and thought maybe she has a condition that makes standing for that length of time difficult/impossible.

It wasn't about the pronunciation; it was the wrong answer. The correct answer was "Harley Quinn".

What was the clue?  The contestant's answer didn't strike me as wrong at the time, but it's been a couple of days.

According J-Archive.com, the $800 clue in the Comic Books category was:

Real name Harleen Quinzel, this gal fell in love with the Joker

And they even accompanied the clue with a picture of the character, so yeah since it was a Double Jeopardy round clue pronouncing it as 'Harlequin' should not have been accepted. I'm in agreement with @Trini about this.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

According J-Archive.com, the $800 clue in the Comic Books category was:

Real name Harleen Quinzel, this gal fell in love with the Joker

And they even accompanied the clue with a picture of the character, so yeah since it was a Double Jeopardy round clue pronouncing it as 'Harlequin' should not have been accepted. I'm in agreement with @Trini about this.

That does seem like it should've been ruled as incorrect.  (And sounds vaguely familiar, so maybe I heard it while trying to corral the cat.)  Thanks.

* Turns out this was Monday's game.  Guess I just wasn't paying that much attention for a moment.

Edited by proserpina65

That 'Complete the C.P. initials' category in the Double Jeopardy round was plain confusing -- especially the $2000 clue that was about the initials CPC, but somehow there was a 'U' word in the answer.

Yet again, they show a geographic region and asked to identify it, after already identifying the country as Australia.  Geez, I wish they would stop using this style of question.

• Love 1
That 'Complete the C.P. initials' category in the Double Jeopardy round was plain confusing -- especially the $2000 clue that was about the initials CPC, but somehow there was a 'U' word in the answer.

No kidding! That was the oddest category to turn up in awhile.

Does anyone think "vaudevillian" should have been accepted as an alternative answer to "Chaplinesque"? Chaplin did start out in vaudeville, after all, even though I don't know if he created anything like his "Little Tramp" character there.

Nobody knew their show business trivia! I was surprised that Bloody Mary as a character in South Pacific was a TS. I played her in my high school's production.

Julie Andrews wasn't a bad guess for FJ, but the early 60's were about 10 years too soon for Bette Midler. I felt very smug about knowing it was Streisand. 

I too first thought of Streisand but then decided that was too early for her. Then I couldn't decide betw Julie Andrews and Carol Channing.

I thought "Zorba" was pretty obvious, so I was surprised no one got it.

Does anyone think "vaudevillian" should have been accepted as an alternative answer to "Chaplinesque"? Chaplin did start out in vaudeville, after all, even though I don't know if he created anything like his "Little Tramp" character there.

The clue said the adjective meant "characteristic of the comedy of the man seen here." Vaudevillian is incorrect because it doesn't specifically mean characteristic of Chaplin's comedy.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

IIRC, Julie Andrews was on Broadway getting nominated before 1964, which was the year she won her Oscar for Mary Poppins, so I went with Streisand, even though I couldn't remember We Can Get It for You Wholesale.