Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E20: BetterBack, Glacé Cryotherapy, Linka, Teaspressa

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

A woman pitches a product that can relieve back pain; a brother and sister team have a cool way to reduce inflammation in the body; a mechanical engineer hopes to lock in a deal with his high-tech bike lock; and a woman shares her passion about her gourmet tea shots that can be prepared just like espresso drinks. Also, an update on PiperWai, an all-natural deodorant made from activated charcoal, in which Barbara Corcoran invested in during Season 7.

I'm sorry, all I could think of during the Cryogenic Wonder Twins pitch was "You live in a barn with bats! Bats! Who carry rabies! Who could kill you!" I don't even like his product all that much -- I'm just so glad someone invested in him, because even creepy Wonder Twins deserve to not get rabies. Ugh... :shudders:

• Love 1

I'm really tired of hearing "You're too early". How is tea lady too early when she has established sales in a retail store, but back pain gizmo lady with only Kickstarter sales not too early? Be consistent, Sharks.

She's too early because she doesn't have a concrete plan, she isn't sure how to articulate her product, and she has garnered 26 thousand dollars of interest in one place. That's why she's too early. It's not just about sales. In multiple ways, she wasn't ready to take this product to the sharks.

• Love 4

With that cryogenic thing, I kept thinking about an incident not that long ago where an employee of a place (tanning salon?) that had one of those things who died in it.

I kept thinking about people (like me) with Raynaud's syndrome who can lose toes and fingers over getting too cold. I've had my toes go numb and completely translucent even with shoes on and heavy socks when it was maybe 30 degrees outside. That cryogenic thing's temperature just seemed like a very, very bad idea even in normal circumstances though. "It's a dry cold..." wasn't very convincing.

• Love 2

If tea lady's product has the same amount of caffeine as coffee, how does it not give you the same "jitters & crash?

Funny timing, the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills just did the cryo tank thing. They're everywhere.

I'm surprised WoeYo doesn't already have her own home unit.  ;-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5

With that cryogenic thing, I kept thinking about an incident not that long ago where an employee of a place (tanning salon?) that had one of those things who died in it.

Here's the story.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/health/cryotherapy-death-health-trend/

Something else that this article discusses is there is really no evidence that this therapeutic. I think it's important to remember that there is a difference between science and technology. Technologically, those tanks are a marvel and they give people an unusual experience that no doubt feels like it does something. But it takes scientific study to prove that a therapy like that is effective at all, much less that it is effective enough to justifiy the cost. Also, IIRC, contra Cuban, you can't go commando in those things. You have to cover the parts of your body most prone to frostbite, so glove, shoes, and underwear.

Car alarms don't work, why would an audible bike alarm work? I also wonder if you could wrap the gizmo in tin foil before cariryng it off to keep it from being able to send an alarm out to your phone.

I hope the back thing works, but again, no real scientific evidence that it does. It is a good match for Lori and QVC though.

Tea lady was really nervous, and I felt bad for her, but she wasn't ready. She needs coaching on how to identify and pitch a concrete next step. I hope she gets that from someone, maybe the shop owner she is already working with?

• Love 4

Tea lady was really nervous, and I felt bad for her, but she wasn't ready. She needs coaching on how to identify and pitch a concrete next step. I hope she gets that from someone, maybe the shop owner she is already working with?

And this is why I could never be a shark.  Her presentation was awful, she was all over the place, and I didn't understand her either.  But I felt sorry for her, and yeah, probably would have given her the money.  In fact, I was hoping one of them would run after her when she left .

I'm a sucker. 

• Love 4

There was no mention of a patent for BetterBack and for good reason.  That product has been around for years.  Someone in my office had one about 10 years ago and I've also seen them in physical therapy offices.

Why didn't Lori, the queen of patents, ask about this?  I have no doubt it will do well on QVC, especially when they make it in multiple colors as is their wont.  But note also that the device has terrible reviews on Amazon.

• Love 5

I hope the back thing works, but again, no real scientific evidence that it does. It is a good match for Lori and QVC though.

As soon as Lori starts talking about herself, you know she's going to do whatever she can to land the deal.

• Love 3

The back support girl kept saying "you guys" with two women sitting there. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does.

Because it negates women in a world where we're already the "fairer sex"? (And that doesn't even speak to gender fluidity.) There's a movement of sorts to stop the use of "you guys"--I tell anyone who says it to me that I'm not a guy. Yeah, I'm fun at parties. Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

There was no mention of a patent for BetterBack and for good reason.  That product has been around for years.  Someone in my office had one about 10 years ago and I've also seen them in physical therapy offices.

Why didn't Lori, the queen of patents, ask about this?  I have no doubt it will do well on QVC, especially when they make it in multiple colors as is their wont.  But note also that the device has terrible reviews on Amazon.

Another thing I thought of is that once you order one, when will you need to order another one? She's going to hit a plateau at some point. And if it's getting bad reviews, people may be sending back the first one they buy. I was glad Mark and Barbara bought up the point that her product hasn't really been tested beyond Kickstarter.

• Love 1

Another thing I thought of is that once you order one, when will you need to order another one? She's going to hit a plateau at some point. And if it's getting bad reviews, people may be sending back the first one they buy. I was glad Mark and Barbara bought up the point that her product hasn't really been tested beyond Kickstarter.

Which is why it's perfect for Lori. She was basically saying, let me put it on TV for a month, we'll make millions quickly, and then it doesn't matter what happens. It doesn't matter if people buy another one, or even if they were satisfied, don't need another one. You convince a lot of people quickly, and then get the hell out to do your next thing with boatloads of cash.
  • Love 11

Funny timing, the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills just did the cryo tank thing. They're everywhere.

The back support girl kept saying "you guys" with two women sitting there. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does.

"you guys" is just a phrase. It's never meant to be taken literally in circumstances like this.
  • Love 8

The cost of that cryotherapy thing blew my mind. People are paying $65 for a few minutes in that thing?! Why the FUCK wouldn't I just take an ice bath. For FREE. In the privacy of my own home? Also loved that they said the Sharks couldn't hire any more Brittanys and Skylers, when Brittany and Skyler need to hire more Brittanys and Skylers themselves to scale this idiotic business that already exists.

The bike lock needed to have additional components to secure the bike seat and the bike itself to a rack. I have no idea why this guy hadn't thought of that. Bike seats are stolen all the time, especially if you buy a nice one. And having the option to attach it to a bike rack is just common sense. As it is, you'd need the Linka AND a couple of cord locks with manual unlocking.

That back brace woman is one of the most annoying I've seen on this show. Between calling the Sharks "you guys" over and over, and high-fiving Lori, I was just cringing with embarrassment for her.

• Love 4

The back thing is also impractical for someone who has to continually get up from their desk. I think the presenter was too impressed with herself and totally over valued the product. Thing is, QVC gives consumers 30 days to return the product, so they could get a lot of returns on this item.

It looks like more and more people are using kickstarter to justify their valuations and it's not necessarily a proven market.

I think the tea presenter should try to establish her own storefront first. If successful, this could become a franchise. The problem with someone so all over the place is that it's more work for the Shark; as Mark said, dealing with her would be too much. There have been several presenters in the past who were not worth an investment just because of their affectations or lack of focus.

I thought the bike lock guy had a good idea, but the Sharks all had good insight as to the limitations of the product.

• Love 3

The cost of that cryotherapy thing blew my mind. People are paying $65 for a few minutes in that thing?! Why the FUCK wouldn't I just take an ice bath. For FREE.

But an ice bath would make you wet, you see. And as we heard them repeat, their product is a DRY cold. No one wants to be wet and cold, but dry and cold, well that's a world apart. Also they have a bridge they'd like to sell you.
  • Love 10

There was also Barbara's reference to the PiperWai founders as "girls" and the Glace people called Barbara a girl as well.

That burns me up. A woman over 17 is not a "girl". Have some respect, particularly for established businesswomen. It's so ingrained in our culture. I know--another thread for another day.

But an ice bath would make you wet, you see. And as we heard them repeat, their product is a DRY cold. No one wants to be wet and cold, but dry and cold, well that's a world apart. Also they have a bridge they'd like to sell you.

That's like when people say that the desert is a "dry heat". So is fire.
  • Love 2

I found the lack of questions about health claims interesting. Usually Mark will ask about documentation or research studies indicating that dry cold, for example, has been shown to reduce problem X. Also, this new back brace has been documented to reflect that users see a chiropractor fewer times per year. Something along those lines was expected by me.

• Love 2

AHHHH, of course! That is what makes it worth $20 a minute ;) I could also "heat up immediately" by standing up from my ice bath and turning on a hot shower, but the Power Of Dry compels me!

• Love 5

I'm confused by the lack of consistency by the Sharks too. Besides "it's too early", the biggest complaint I have is the randomness of when they request/demand patents and/or science data to back up claims. Mark is usually the one to jump all ove people for being "snake oil salesmen" and pedaling quackery. Yet, last night, not a peep about evidence for the back brace or the People Popsicle Pod. Same last night for the patents. And then on other episodes, Mark, Daymon, Lori et al shriek at the pitch person for not securing patents.

None of last night's products were remotely interesting to me. I think the reason some people may feel great after exiting the People Popcicle Pod is because their entire body is like, "thank God my body is not -120 degrees anymore!" I can get the same feeling for free after watching my daughter's riding lessons for 15 min at an unseated barn in 27 degree temps. When I get in my warm car, I immediately feel the happy endorphins zipping around in joy.

• Love 8

The bike alarm is another silly product.  For starters, how do you lock your bike when the alarm is charging?  And a beep-beep-beep isn't going to deter most bike thieves. 

And Kevin was exactly right about Tea Girl.  She squandered her opportunity and was incapable of explaining what her product or service is.  Is it the tea product, or the process to make tea in an espresso-like machine, or the machine, or the retail operation?  She doesn't know or can't articulate it because she is too focused on the idea of making tea as cool as she thinks coffee is.  

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 2

What about when your phone battery dies and the lock is still...locked??

I want someone with more energy than me to go through every show and tally up all the businesses that Kevin says "nothing is stopping" him from starting. He says it almost every show.

• Love 4

Mark didn't ask about the medical/scientific claims on the freezing thing because, as he said, the Mavs have been using those things for the last 5 years. He already knows about whatever benefits there may or may not be, or else his players wouldn't be doing it. I was more surprised by the lack of questions about the claims of the back-brace woman. Does she have a patent? Has a doctor examined it? Have there been studies showing this device works? Her Kickstarter success shows she can sell-- it doesn't show the product actually works. The donors hadn't even received the product at the time of her pitch!

• Love 1

I think "it's too early" is really just something they say when they feel badly saying "we think you're an idiot," or something along those lines. If the person is a jerk they'll say that, but if the presenter is nice they usually try to let them down easy.

I've never seen someone try so hard not to cry in the tank as that tea woman.

That burns me up. A woman over 17 is not a "girl". Have some respect, particularly for established businesswomen. It's so ingrained in our culture. I know--another thread for another day.

That's like this woman I used to work with who's about Barbara's age who calls all young women "honey." She says it cause she thinks of theme like her kids, but it drives me crazy. A guy would be torn apart for that.

I'm confused by the lack of consistency by the Sharks too. Besides "it's too early", the biggest complaint I have is the randomness of when they request/demand patents and/or science data to back up claims. Mark is usually the one to jump all ove people for being "snake oil salesmen" and pedaling quackery. Yet, last night, not a peep about evidence for the back brace or the People Popsicle Pod. Same last night for the patents. And then on other episodes, Mark, Daymon, Lori et al shriek at the pitch person for not securing patents.

None of last night's products were remotely interesting to me. I think the reason some people may feel great after exiting the People Popcicle Pod is because their entire body is like, "thank God my body is not -120 degrees anymore!" I can get the same feeling for free after watching my daughter's riding lessons for 15 min at an unseated barn in 27 degree temps. When I get in my warm car, I immediately feel the happy endorphins zipping around in joy.

Mark mentioned that the Mavericks use those cryogenic things, so maybe he's already seen evidence.

• Love 1

If tea lady's product as the same amount of caffeine as coffee, how does it not give you the same "jitters & crash?

Right there with you.  This, her opening salvo, was the advantage of getting buzzed on tea over getting buzzed on coffee.  Mmm. . . ??

Bless her heart.

• Love 4

My latest health & supplement jag is based on research that inflammation is the Big Bad--everything from an arthritic twinge to a heart attack.  So I perked up when all that cryo-business was anti-inflammatory, but I'm still fuzzy about exactly what's accomplished.  Robert's skin temp was 32 degrees, but were they trying to say that meant all the muscles and pathways in his body had been soothed as well?  Probably just the exterior muscle sheath?  Ehh, take four Motrin and call me in the morning.

Thanks for the downthumb info on the posture brace, because I was interested.  I tend to slump--I'm slumping right now!  Meanwhile, my friend who forced herself years ago to sit ramrod straight now sits and walks that way naturally and has a certain air of elegance because of it.  Damn it.

• Love 3

I found the lack of questions about health claims interesting. Usually Mark will ask about documentation or research studies indicating that dry cold, for example, has been shown to reduce problem X.

I wasn't surprised because I don't think they were really claiming medical benefit. They're treating it like a spa treatment. It's not a medical device. It's a "you will like how you feel after" device. Sharks usually demark proof of claims when the claims are the sort of thing that need backup. "You'll feel good" doesn't need that much support if enough rich people are willing to spend. If they were making medical claims or intend to, then they need the proof.

I mean, anyone who utters the sentence "then the science happens" is clearly not really intent on hinging their business on science.

• Love 3

There was also Barbara's reference to the PiperWai founders as "girls" and the Glace people called Barbara a girl as well.

Disregarding the irony here, I have to ask: What's the equivalent of "guy"? Male & Female. Woman and Man. Lady and Gentleman. Guys and ... what? Guys and gals? Guys and Dolls?  

I don't like the phrase, but not because its sexist.  I don't like it because it's sloppy juvenile usage:

While I do see your point on that, I'm pretty sure we've seen Barbara refer to presenters as "guys". No need to be more formal than she is. (Although in relation to my above question, I'm pretty sure Barbara does say "gal".)

• Love 3

I kept thinking about people (like me) with Raynaud's syndrome who can lose toes and fingers over getting too cold. I've had my toes go numb and completely translucent even with shoes on and heavy socks when it was maybe 30 degrees outside. That cryogenic thing's temperature just seemed like a very, very bad idea even in normal circumstances though. "It's a dry cold..." wasn't very convincing.

Niksac, I'm a fellow sufferer of Primary Raynaud's and had it since early in life and a contraption like the Cryo machine makes my hands and feet turn yellow and cold just thinking about it. 

• Love 2

What about when your phone battery dies and the lock is still...locked??

Maybe you use your dead cell phone to whack away at the lock?

Also,busyOctober, I love your People Popsicle Pod. But you missed a golden opportunity.... People-sicles!

• Love 4

My husband actually purchased one of the BetterBack things through the Kickstarter. He has scoliosis and a metal rod in his back, so he needed something that would help take the pressure off the rod when sitting. He says it's nice and it does work, although it's nothing super special. He had one when he was younger that was similar and felt the same. He does like the ease of travel with it because he'll take it to work. He says he would buy a second one to keep at work because he likes it.

• Love 1

I think this show may be starting to run its course. More and more of the people coming into the tank have only been in business for a short period of time or  they are still in the proto-type stage with no sales / product yet. It's like they are running out of struggling businesses to help.

And while I understand the sharks are investing their own money ...I don't think they need to be mean spirited or belittle those seeking money in the hopes of a cheap laugh. Everyone has an off day (tea lady) and shouldn't be belittled or dragged through the mud. To me, that's not entertainment. The more mean spirited the comments the less likely I'll be tuning in or telling people to tune in. 

And any more I'd be perfectly fine if Mark and Lori were banned from the tank.

• Love 4

Remove Lori, Kevin and Mark and bring back John Paul. Let's bring in another female entrepreneur. Here's a list. (Oprah and Beyonce are too busy--pick some others.) http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilyinverso/2015/05/26/the-worlds-most-powerful-women-entrepreneurs-of-2015/#77dbb5a510bf

My husband actually purchased one of the BetterBack things through the Kickstarter. He has scoliosis and a metal rod in his back, so he needed something that would help take the pressure off the rod when sitting. He says it's nice and it does work, although it's nothing super special. He had one when he was younger that was similar and felt the same. He does like the ease of travel with it because he'll take it to work. He says he would buy a second one to keep at work because he likes it.

Because I'm near-sighted and don't like wearing my glasses, I slump forward toward my computer monitor and my upper back and shoulders hurt. I know--just wear your glasses! Does the contraption help with the upper back--by correcting the lower back, does it force the upper into correct position?

The bike lock needed to have additional components to secure the bike seat and the bike itself to a rack. I have no idea why this guy hadn't thought of that. Bike seats are stolen all the time, especially if you buy a nice one. And having the option to attach it to a bike rack is just common sense. As it is, you'd need the Linka AND a couple of cord locks with manual unlocking.

He said there's an optional chain you can get, which I think is essential.  Robert's right about needing a visual deterrent.  The chain is burly, but really short and almost like using a u-lock.  There have been lots of times a bike rack is too crowded to get my bike in close enough to use a really short chain, so I always carry a long one just in case.

Also, not shown on the show is that you can enter a 4-digit code to unlock it if your phone battery dies.

The website says it has a 100db siren.  I wonder if that's new, because that's sure not what it sounded like in the show.  Another idea, instead of or in addition to a siren, would be a really loud voice bellowing " THIS BIKE IS BEING STOLEN."  Something other than just an alarm. Or maybe put the owner's photo on the lock, and have the voice say to match the rider (uh, carrier) with the photo.

Mr. Outlier and I locked our bikes in downtown Portland, Oregon, a couple of years ago. When we got back, the combination on the lock wouldn't work.  Fortunately, it was Portland, so there were bike shops around, but the first one said they couldn't just lend us bolt cutters, that they had to do it themselves and wouldn't be free for another hour or so.  Since it was Portland in the winter, it was getting dark at like 3:00, so we needed to be quicker.

We found a used bike shop in a basement that let us take a hacksaw in exchange for a driver's license.  Walked back to the bikes and got to work.  (I'll note that we did all of this without a smart phone or any internet access--what pioneers!)  

Our bikes were right in front of a light rail stop, at the base of an office building.  It took a while to get through the chain, and during that time, only one passerby said anything, and that was a guy in a suit who said, "Heyyyyy!" while walking by.  Not exactly an intervention, but at least it was something.

Finally a security guard for the office building came up and asked if those were our bikes.  I said they were and the lock wouldn't open, and he stood there a bit and eventually left us alone.  (I'll note that Mr. Outlier and I are non-meth-faced white middle-aged people.)

So from casual appearances, we cut through a lock and stole two bikes in downtown Portland in the middle of a work day.  And we rode them off, which you wouldn't be able to do with the lock that was on the show.  So I like that aspect.

My latest health & supplement jag is based on research that inflammation is the Big Bad--everything from an arthritic twinge to a heart attack.  So I perked up when all that cryo-business was anti-inflammatory, but I'm still fuzzy about exactly what's accomplished.  Robert's skin temp was 32 degrees, but were they trying to say that meant all the muscles and pathways in his body had been soothed as well?  Probably just the exterior muscle sheath?  Ehh, take four Motrin and call me in the morning.

My drug of choice is the placebo.  It often works, and has minimal side effects.  So I'm all for anything that's non-invasive, and I'd be willing to try to people popsicle on the off chance it might make my knees stop hurting.  However, they said people use it several times a week, so no go on that.  Money aside, I'm more interested in a one-shot wonder cure.

There's a movement of sorts to stop the use of "you guys"--I tell anyone who says it to me that I'm not a guy.

My main problem with it is if I hear it, especially if someone's using it a lot, I immediately enter "dread" mode, fearing they're going to use it as a possessive.  I was so afraid there wasn't going to be a deal and I was going to hear, "Thank you for your guyses' feedback."

• Love 1

I think the bike lock guy should add an option that continues to shock the shit out of anyone that decides to steal it. Court adjourned!

Just a quick comment on taking things that aren't yours.  My husband is a former police officer and he knew a guy that got so fed up with getting his Jeep broken into(cut through the cloth) to steal his stereo that he rigged some four pronged fishing hooks all along the back side of the stereo. No one ever bothered to try and get past that booby trap again.  He did find traces of blood from those that tried. ;)

• Love 4

I think this show may be starting to run its course. More and more of the people coming into the tank have only been in business for a short period of time or  they are still in the proto-type stage with no sales / product yet. It's like they are running out of struggling businesses to help.

And while I understand the sharks are investing their own money ...I don't think they need to be mean spirited or belittle those seeking money in the hopes of a cheap laugh. Everyone has an off day (tea lady) and shouldn't be belittled or dragged through the mud. To me, that's not entertainment. The more mean spirited the comments the less likely I'll be tuning in or telling people to tune in. 

And any more I'd be perfectly fine if Mark and Lori were banned from the tank.

It seems like more and more ST (and Dragon's Den in Canada) is featuring businesses that have barely gotten off the ground (if at all) and in addition the pitchers are making ridiculous claims of valuations. Do they not get any guidance from producers, or never watch the show beforehand to know that they are wasting their time if the sharks think they are out to lunch with their request/valuation? It really makes for an uninteresting show when every shark is out (understandably) from the start due to stupidity and or greed of the pitcher.

I think the only reason they were still listening to the tea lady is because she was alone, thin and pretty. She had a terrible presentation so I can't agree it was an 'off day'. She had no focus, which as Robert said normally would have had the sharks shutting her down much sooner than they did.  I did laugh at Kevin's comparison of her to a dishwasher (I think it was - I no longer have the show on my PVR). Though Kevin can be mean at least he can also be funny and has a sense of humour even about himself. Mark has none - he can be replaced any time and I would not miss him.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 1

He said there's an optional chain you can get, which I think is essential.  

Which kind of defeats the entire purpose of LINKA. 

So, all you're really getting is a padlock for the chain that unlocks with your smart phone instead of with a key, alerts you if it's touched (as long as you're within 400 feet and both the lock and your phone are charged), and sets off a siren when it's moved.  Though based on Robert's demo, it can be moved pretty fai before it starts beeping,  Certainly enough for a fast get-away artist to be far enough away or have the bike stashed in a waiting car or van.

Oh and the product has not even shipped yet. http://linkalock.com/

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 1

Do they not get any guidance from producers, or never watch the show beforehand to know that they are wasting their time if the sharks think they are out to lunch with their request/valuation? It really makes for an uninteresting show when every shark is out (understandably) from the start due to stupidity and or greed of the pitcher.

I think they like some awful pitches because it can make good TV. So maybe they do give some guidance, but if they get a really crazy applicant they probably encourage the stupidity of it.

Linka...I work in Oakland and have co-workers who've had their bikes stolen during the day. From in front of an office building. Where security guards regularly walk around.

I was just wondering about the alarm...you're 26 floors up and your cell phone alerts you that your bike is being stolen. Best case scenario, you're downstairs in 3-4 minutes. Your bike is still gone. The popo aren't going to come for a stolen bike - sorry OPD.

I think a shock would be an effective deterrent, that's what I went to immediately. But it also concerns me that once someone gets shocked they may take out their frustration on your bike.

• Love 2