Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Wild Card

thewhiteowl

While Fitz is preoccupied with his own interests, Cyrus begins to orchestrate his next master plan, and Elizabeth North uses David to mastermind a plan of her own. Meanwhile, Olivia continues to question what exactly Jake is planning in his new role as head of the NSA.

Fits really sucks as a President, right? Like he's TERRIBLE. He has no idea what's going on in his country or his administration.

It's been the central theme of the series that all the murder and treason us worth it, because the Fitz administration would do great things. That's why Olivia loves him. That's why Mellie and Cyrus hitched their wagons to him. That's the only moral justification for why any of the horrible things these characters do, happen. Because it's worth it if it's in the service of keeping Fitz running the country.

But when have we seen him do something he wasn't manipulated into by one of the other characters? Not since the second season I don't think. Now it's all text, all the other characters are either running for office themselves or finding new empty suits they can manipulate. So what was the point of Fitz being President at all.

Also if the show doesn't end with Rowan dying a horrible on camera death I will be pissed off.

• Love 5

So what was the point of Fitz being President at all.

Idk anymore, he was pushed as an empty suit, but even then nothing has happened since then.

There aren't any real scandals: Rowan is free and only 'crazy' Huck seems to care about, Fitz is sleeping around and only Abby seems to care (this is after Liv revealed their affair to the public and was short lived), etc.

So Cyrus has a goon blackmail a guy by threatening to kill his kid and engineers a mass shooting (oh and real good taste there, ABC and Scandal, airing this in the night of a genuine mass shooting tragedy in Kansas)?  Olivia and Jake keep sleeping together, even though Jake's supposedly in love with someone else?  Fitz doesn't give a shit about national security, he just wants to get laid? 

Olivia is either so utterly stupid or else suffered major brain damage along the way somewhere that it takes her nearly half-way through this idiotic episode before she has a flashback montage reminding her of the "no shit, sherlock" fact that her father is a dangerous creep (if she's seriously this stupid, maybe she needs flashback montages about things like how to tie her shoes or that underwear is put on under the other clothes)?

And, uh-- Huck-- HUCK!!!!-- is presented as pretty much the sole voice of reason on tonight's episode?  WTF????

Can anyone explain to me why I'm still watching this show?  I hate every single character, and not in a "love to hate" kind of way, but just in a hate, hate kind of way.  Is the whole point of the show anymore that old phrase about "the banality of evil" where everybody is just a stupid tedious a-hole criminal?  Geez whiz, this was an awful episode.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 15

I don't know about this show anymore, it's so bad. There's no more real plots or cases.

Is Liv is just plain stupid now or mentally deranged. When Huck is a voice of reason and she's defending Jake and her father Liv looks like an idiot. She's still sleeping with Jake after all she knows? Why? He murdered a man to be head of the NSA. She says her father is not up to anything? Really? Has she met the man? The man who murdered an entire bus of grand jurors she's having happy coffee dates with?

She's saying she's choosing to turn a blind eye, defending how he's her father and loves her? She's an idiot. Huck called her out perfectly.   

Cyrus is sleeping with Tom? WTH when did that happen?

David is scummy now. Sleeping with Ross just for his girlfriend.

You can clearly tell from the news footage that the shot to Vargas happened behind the paid hostage taker. It was Tom who shot Vargas.

There's nobody likable on this show. The one I like the most is Charlie!  Charlie babysitting and watching Frozen. Favorite part of the episode. The second he covered the boys eyes I knew the kids dad had to be the hostage taker.

• Love 7

In what world are we supposed to care about one single person on this show? They are not even fun to hate. Blech. And let's have one of the "stars" of the show orchestrate a mass shooting? And who thought oh let's write a show about a strong woman and came up with this? Because no. Olivia is pathetic. I mean yeah I can see being attracted to a hot guy, but one who kills people by the dozens would seem to be resistable? Blech. Oh. I quit this show. 

• Love 7

I caught some of Scandal waiting for HTGWM to come on. What a mess! This show is supposed to be about a political fixer having an illicit affair with the president yet B-whatever/spy intrigue continues to suck up airtime because of SR's determination to keep her friends employed. 

• Love 3

Olivia and Jake keep sleeping together, even though Jake's supposedly in love with someone else?

Their roles have reversed, is all.

Fitz doesn't give a shit about national security, he just wants to get laid?

This definitely has not changed.

• Love 2

That was a mess, yet again.  It seemed like they were trying to set up some good plots, but they were trying way too hard.  All of it was ridiculous.

And I think they're setting up Fitz and Abby and I'm going to have to go with no on that as well.

And I think they're setting up Fitz and Abby and I'm going to have to go with no on that as well.

Oh, God, please, no. Because I'm a fan of Darby Stanchfield, Abby is the only character on this show I like--so much so that I DVR it and FF to her scenes. And that's all of the show I watch. Because every other person on this show is loathsome, and I'm afraid they'll turn Abby loathsome, too. Especially Fitz. He's horrible.  

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 3

Why am I watching this crap?! Why?!

We are supposed to believe Fitz hormones are more important to him than his umm, you know, job?

And Huck, thank you for finally saying what all of us were thinking - Liv, you're a freaking idiot. She honestly believed he was "retired," as people were dropping dead left and right? Please.

How long are they going to ignore the new dude at OPA? He gets so little love I don't even know his name.

David Rosen is in demand!!!! Stud!!! ;)

The whole planned mass shooting, disturbing. There are already so many people that believe these mass shootings in the US are attempts by the government to manipulate people's thoughts on gun control, etc. Why add fuel to the fire by staging a mass shooting for government advancement? It's disgusting. And that security cam footage wouldn't hold up for one second. Tom would be all over the buildings security cameras and the shooter turns around to see where the shot is from. Duh. But no, this will be swept under the rug, like all the other poorly written storylines in which everyone has selective amnesia about anything and everything that other people do - for the "sake of the country." Gag.

Jake was hot. His hotness factor is diminishing as he becomes so cold.

Cyrus- I would like him to disappear forever. What an evil, evil man. I can't stand the expressions on his face when he's thinking about something, and his eyes dart around...oh he's just sooooooo smart. Yuck.

Tom - I don't think he is gay.

That storyline with the dad and kid. Sad. Charlie had become a bit more likeable but he screwed himself over by being a pawn in that operation.

This show went from really awesome to sucktastic.

• Love 7

Seemed to me like David's hot-body girlfriend was miffed that he did more than just fuck Susan, but he spent time with her and treated her with a modicum of respect and caring.  How dare he?  Maybe David really likes Susan?  The only other moment I liked was when work wife Abby finally stood up to Fitz and said quit being a douche.  That worked for me.  And I was horrified at the mere thought of Quinn and Charlie becoming parents someday.  Really, Show?  

Other than that, everything was immediately forgettable.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 4

liked- seeing Jake's half naked body

didn't like- the rest of it.  knew Cyrus was a stone cold political operative, but not to the point of orchestrating the death of 3 security guards

I used to watch Scandal intently, ads and all.  now I just watch with my back to the TV, surfing on my computer at the dinner table

it is still appointment TV, it's just that I don't pay much attention while at the appointment anymore

• Love 2

Seemed to me like David's hot-body girlfriend was miffed that he did more than just fuck Susan, but he spent time with her and treated her with a modicum of respect and caring. How dare he? Maybe David really likes Susan? The only other moment I liked was when work wife Abby finally stood up to Fitz and said quit being a douche. That worked for me. And I was horrified at the mere thought of Quinn and Charlie becoming parents someday. Really, Show?

Other than that, everything was immediately forgettable.

He definitely likes her, just afraid to admit to it.

• Love 3

I caught some of Scandal waiting for HTGWM to come on. What a mess! This show is supposed to be about a political fixer having an illicit affair with the president yet B-whatever/spy intrigue continues to suck up airtime because of SR's determination to keep her friends employed. 

It's been dragging the show down and even then the B613 has nothing to do.  Rowan isn't even doing anything, he's just having dinner with Liv like it's no big deal.

• Love 1

WOW was NOT expecting Charlie's "nephew" to be the hostage taker's son. That being said... not so excited about this show anymore. Everyone on the show, even the "good" guys piss me off. A good show is suppose to elicit a reaction from the audience, but everyone is horrible. You need good guys for balance. This show just makes me want to drink lol

Ok in the preview for next week who is in bed with Fitz? She doesn't look like the reporter. She looks way too young.

Edited by Leigh3
  • Love 1

i WAS JUST COMING HERE TO SAY THAT. It's appalling, in the sense that Abbey is so professional, but the tension of her going for her best friend's ex, I can hardly not fault the show if they went there.  I mean, we need more than Liv drinking wine with her monstrous father from an enormous carafe, figuring he was retired now and watching  game shows.

Also appalling is the David triangle.  Liz is such a monster, I hope one day her bow tie blouse catches in a helicopter blade or something.

Can someone explain if the shooters kid was ok in the end?  Charlie wasn't sending him off to die was he?

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2

I love this new angle of Cyrus being the king maker.  It is what this show was suppose to be about, in my opinion.  To make a President things have to go right and these are the people behind the scenes "making sure things go right".  The public never sees or hears this stuff only the people and sometimes the candidate themselves don't know.  I love it.  

• Love 3

Two serial killers babysitting a kid, and one thinking the other will make a great dad one day? Or serial torturers. Ugh.

I only watched because I'm not well, and have nothing else to do. I broke my promise of not hate-watching. I can't believe Liv is still sleeping with Jake, and hope Abby doesn't get involved with Fitz. 

• Love 1

Oh. And random (okay, fine. By random I mean shallow) observation from last night. I'm no longer such a Fitz fan (I held on longer than most) but he's got quite the body!

One of the few things I have no problem believing is that Fitz is a hell of a lot more interested in getting laid than his job, or anything else. His brain lives in his pecker. Cyrus did not disappoint, way to get your man on the national stage, dude. Tom, Tom, I was so glad to see you again and so much of you! The Charlie Quinn babysitting thing was cute but odd. I suppose the shooter will have to die in custody but at least Charlie won't kill the kid now.  

No means no, Liz except for David apparently. I think he does like Susan but he seems to really like boning Liz.

Huck was good, being the voice of sanity then the monster will eat you stuff, well that was a pathetic chuckle. When Huck has to remind you that your Dad is an evil man, Liv, you are pathetic. Can't think when you are with Fitz now you can't think without him? You are screwed, Girl.

• Love 1

Can someone explain if the shooters kid was ok in the end?  Charlie wasn't sending him off to die was he?

The kid was fine. Charlie was sending him into a police station, presumable to report himself missing. However, I feel like that makes the plot (i.e. Tom actually shooting the governor dude) all the easier to expose, since, if the shooter claimed he was forced to do it because someone took his son, the police could corroborate that the son just mysteriously showed up at the police station after the hostage situation was resolved. But I digress.

What I did like about the Charlie with the kid sub-plot was that it turned out not to be this weird diversion into WTF-ery, but instead was relevant to the overall plot. And, it furthered my own favorite plotline of this show, which is that Quinn, at all times, is a fucking idiot.

As for Olivia: girl, when HUCK is the voice of reason? You are too far gone. Damn. Also, while I don't think Huck's theory about Rowan being Olivia's "guy" is as fully baked as the writer's think it is, and I don't think the history of the show necessarily bears it out, but I do think it's intriguing.

David Rosen: Susan Ross is better than you. She deserves better than to have you two-timing her. Writers: do not hurt Susan Ross. For real.

Also, maybe don't have Fitz act like it's such a damned inconvenience to be President. Sure, it's a drag when world events end up salting your game, but recognize that no woman in the world would be interested in you if you weren't President. Because you are THE WORST.

Weirdly, though, I did kind of enjoy this episode.

• Love 3
The kid was fine. Charlie was sending him into a police station, presumable to report himself missing. However, I feel like that makes the plot (i.e. Tom actually shooting the governor dude) all the easier to expose, since, if the shooter claimed he was forced to do it because someone took his son, the police could corroborate that the son just mysteriously showed up at the police station after the hostage situation was resolved. But I digress.

Not to mention that the kid isn't going to lie about where he was, and will tell everyone that he was with his "Uncle Charlie" and "Aunt Potato Face". Charlie didn't even bother to use a different name. So they'll have his first name and a description. Not to mention a description of Quinn. Though I think he called Quinn "Robin" during this time. [sarcasm]So in "Shondaworld" that should render them both untraceable.[/sarcasm]

And this is what makes me hate Scandal. They are not even trying anymore. This show has never been in the same universe of believability, but they used to at least try to make it plausible for the sake of the show, usually by explaining it away in terms of how the world of the show works. It was implausible to say the least, but at least they made an effort. This mass shooting plot is so full of holes that only serve to expose everyone involved, and yet they aren't even going to so much as try and blame it on a wizard. They are going to leave it as is, and pretty much forget about it. Completely lazy, and totally insulting to the audience.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 3

Is anyone else really distracted any time Perd Hapley shows up to deliver super serious news?

So now that Fitz is officially the skeeviest fictional president ever, I wonder how we can ever be expected to root for an Olivia/Fitz pairing again. I mean, I've been hoping she sees him for who he is and proceeds to have a "what was I thinking?" wine bitch session with Abby for a few seasons now. This thing with the reporter has got to nail that coffin lid shut, though, doesn't it?

• Love 7

Nobody seemed worried about Fitz leaving his DNA all over Olivia's apartment. She doesn't even seem to have a cleaning lady - let alone a government scrub team who cleaned up after each visit from Fitz.

I figured out that Charlie and Quinn were babysitting the son of the guy involved in the 'hostage' plot before the reveal.

Also if the show doesn't end with Rowan dying a horrible on camera death I will be pissed off.

The guy who plays Rowan was just signed (last week, I think) as a Regular on the show (rather than recurring, I guess).

(oh and real good taste there, ABC and Scandal, airing this in the night of a genuine mass shooting tragedy in Kansas)

TBH there's always a mass shooting in the States though so unless they want to pull the episode until the robots takeover and America's "trapped" in a utopian matrix then I'm thinking live and let live.

I liked the episode. Abbitz I ship it! David RosenRoss I ship it! I'm here for Liv's new wardrobe, Abby screaming at Fitz (he should have known not to get into it with a redhead) David realizing that Susan is waaaaaaaay superior to The Preying Mantis and a very attractive shirtless president and very attractive shirtless governor. Anaconda thank you Shonda!  I am entertained.

Edited by slayer2

i WAS JUST COMING HERE TO SAY THAT. It's appalling, in the sense that Abbey is so professional, but the tension of her going for her best friend's ex, I can hardly not fault the show if they went there. 

Her liking Fitz would explain her intense reaction to him dating that reporter, and her fury at him not being with Liv maybe was actually fury at him not being with HER!

Liz is such a monster, I hope one day her bow tie blouse catches in a helicopter blade or something.

I'm dying!!!! Her "bow tie blouse"!!!! She is the worst!!!

I'm no longer such a Fitz fan (I held on longer than most) but he's got quite the body!

I have still been a Fitz fan, but last night his sheer stupidity really tested my limits.

Edited by Lemontree23

Not to mention that the kid isn't going to lie about where he was, and will tell everyone that he was with his "Uncle Charlie" and "Aunt Potato Face". Charlie didn't even bother to use a different name. So they'll have his first name and a description. Not to mention a description of Quinn. Though I think he called Quinn "Robin" during this time. [sarcasm]So in "Shondaworld" that should render them both untraceable.[/sarcasm]

And this is what makes me hate Scandal. They are not even trying anymore. This show has never been in the same universe of believability, but they used to at least try to make it plausible for the sake of the show, usually by explaining it away in terms of how the world of the show works. It was implausible to say the least, but at least they made an effort. This mass shooting plot is so full of holes that only serve to expose everyone involved, and yet they aren't even going to so much as try and blame it on a wizard. They are going to leave it as is, and pretty much forget about it. Completely lazy, and totally insulting to the audience.

YES!!! I totally agree, and it makes me so mad. Lazy and insulting to the audience is right on. This would never fly. And wouldn't the governor himself be able to say, hey a tall dude with a large head shot me from the doorway? Or will Tom just say, oh I was a sharpshooter and missed my mark (and that he was aiming for the dorky dude instead?) Crappy sharpshooter if that's the case. Ugh this show is just terrible. I'm still waiting for justice for the NSA lady and the dude that fell out of the refrigerator.

The guy who plays Rowan was just signed (last week, I think) as a Regular on the show (rather than recurring, I guess).

that's craptastic

Is anyone else really distracted any time Perd Hapley shows up to deliver super serious news?

LOL!!! PERD HAPLEY!! I keep waiting for him to talk the way he talked on Parks & Recreation!! It's disappointing when he talks normal! :)

There aren't any real scandals: Rowan is free and only 'crazy' Huck seems to care about, Fitz is sleeping around and only Abby seems to care (this is after Liv revealed their affair to the public and was short lived), etc.

Would Fitz sleeping with a reporter be such a scandal these days? He's single. He's an adult. Who cares? 

I think it would be worse for the reporter because people would start saying she's biased. 

Edited by KaveDweller

I didn't make the connection until l read the recap, but Joelle Carter is Jake's new squeeze?

Sigh. I miss me some Justified. Maybe Walton Goggins can come in and take out the b whatever and papa pope once and for all. A girl can dream, right?

• Love 2

Would Fitz sleeping with a reporter be such a scandal these days? He's single. He's an adult. Who cares? 

I think it would be worse for the reporter because people would start saying she's biased. 

No but it's problematic in a series called Scandal where fallout and actual consequences should be the focus.

Ok, here's something I don't get: when Olivia was the power behind Fitz, directing him, running things, getting her own agenda done, her father was horrified and thought it was demeaning she was working for a rich while blueblood. That it wasn't real power and it was unworthy of her. But now that Olivia's going to do EXACTLY the same thing, but with Mellie instead of Fitz, he's thrilled? This is the power he's always wanted her to have? What's the difference?

This is why Rowan's character is the worst. His whole thing is that Olivia is weak and useless and needs his protection and guidance. But that's obviously not the case or we wouldn't be watching the show. So he's just a dangerous sexist stalker.

• Love 2

So disappointed in what this show has become. Where is my case of the week? Who cares about Abby/Fitz, they've been bantering for three episodes now. I hate Elizabeth North and now I hate David. Jake has been useless this whole season. Charlie & Tom...really? This is just so bad and there are too many characters and subplots I can't see how they make lemonade out of this mess.

• Love 1

I always think it's Perd Hapley and keep expecting him to follow up with another Lil Sebastian story.

Fitz sleeping with the reporter is problematic because his presidency has been riddled with issues due to him not being able to control his peen. This time it would appear that he was sleeping with the reporter while a mass murderer was on the rampage.

I didn't make the connection until l read the recap, but Joelle Carter is Jake's new squeeze?

Sigh. I miss me some Justified. Maybe Walton Goggins can come in and take out the b whatever and papa pope once and for all. A girl can dream, right?

I miss it, too. He was just as loquacious as the characters here, but I never felt like my head would explode when he was speaking. 

I know the speeches have always been a part of the show, but they have me reaching for the mute button so fast now. And anything involving Jake and Olivia has me hitting the fast-forward button. I don't want to hear her saying that they won't be sleeping together again, only to have him announce that it *will* happen again. It isn't sexy and masculine.

• Love 1

This show has reached its climax when "Liberty Report" with naphthalene-looking Sally Langston is the only sane thing in it. I can´t seriously take into consideration Huck´s little remarks about terrible people Jake and Rowan and how they might be into something bad while Olivia is struggling between Frette shits with her unchained sexuality ( honestly, at this point "the witch is one of them"). Huck´s heavy mental health issues and cold torturer instincts inhabilitate him like forever from talking sense into other killers or maniacs. Anyway, I am still wondering when Cyrus is going to come hard at Sally, who seems to be in complete oblivion about murdering her gay husband and just continues to bark happily at current state administration, of which Cyrus happens to form part. Just like that?Olivia-Mellie-Fitz - from Olitz to Mellivia.. that´s some stretch, come on, have threesome already, guys, calm your horniness, form an alliance, rig the elections and screw your voters "in style". Look at Underwoods´s groundwork in House of Cards LOL Scandal should become an inspiration for the writers of American Horror Story now. There was a season called Freak Show, next season may be simply called "Oval", viewers will figure out :)) Shonda, put your batteries on!

Edited by Wise Owl

But now that Olivia's going to do EXACTLY the same thing, but with Mellie instead of Fitz, he's thrilled? This is the power he's always wanted her to have? What's the difference?

She probably won't be sleeping with Mellie to get there. Too bad but it is a difference

She probably won't be sleeping with Mellie to get there. Too bad but it is a difference

She didn't sleep with Fitz to get power and she didn't have power because Fitz wanted to bone her. He respected her and listened to her before they started having sex. Even when they were in one of their breakup phases she ran things. The show has been very clear on that. (Obviously. None of us would be watching a show about the conniving mistress using her vagina to run the country and Shonda certainly wouldn't write that).

The Rowan character makes no sense. And if he's going to try and push Jake and Olivia into a relationship, can he stop calling Jake his son? That's disgusting.

She didn't sleep with Fitz to get power and she didn't have power because Fitz wanted to bone her. He respected her and listened to her before they started having sex. Even when they were in one of their breakup phases she ran things. The show has been very clear on that. (Obviously. None of us would be watching a show about the conniving mistress using her vagina to run the country and Shonda certainly wouldn't write that).

The Rowan character makes no sense. And if he's going to try and push Jake and Olivia into a relationship, can he stop calling Jake his son? That's disgusting.

IDK that I agree with the first part. I think they started sleeping together fairly quickly. So any "respect" is suspect IMO. Everything about the first season or so that did for her was because he was boning her or because he desperately wanted to bone her. He is nothing more than a walking penis, IMO.  Just a few episodes ago she was using her vagina to run the country.

I don't get Rowan either and I don't know if he wants Liv and Jake together or not. He does know what pushes Liv's buttons though, if he acts like he wants her away from Jake, she will always go for the guy Daddy says no about. She has proven that.

When did they decide to make Olivia so stupid? Did she really think her father had changed? That she's dumber than Huck? Seriously?

At the beginning of this show, Olivia was the kind of badass that women might want to be-- now the only admirable thing about her is her wardrobe.  I think I'm out.

I thought it was weird that we were supposed to believe the young, good looking, first Hispanic Governor of a large, important swing state right in the middle of the major media markets (and who was previously mayor of Philadelphia) has no national profile.     

Oh God yes, I get so squicked out with Rowan referring to both of them as though they are his kids, followed by scenes of them doing it. 

• Love 2