Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: The Positive Negative Reaction

The gang learns Bernadette is pregnant and celebrate by singing karaoke. Meanwhile, Wolowitz freaks out over the pregnancy announcement and becomes convinced he must make more money to provide for the baby.

Aw, I liked this one from start to finish.

The pregnancy reveal was cute. Thank god they didn’t go the “Bernadette attempts to tell Howard she’s pregnant and hijinks ensue” (like the I Love Lucy episode) and just did it immediately.

And it was nice seeing everyone so happy and supportive – sometimes I forget why these people are even friends (certainly with Sheldon) and it was nice to be reminded.

• Love 12

I thought it was well done. I like how Howard's fears centered around being a good father, not that he had to give up stuff (comic book nights and the like). I thought those were very realistic things to bother him, especially since it turns out this was not a planned pregnancy.  I thought his points about religion and child care and finances were all very true to life. And I'm super-delighted that Bernie let him have his freak-out and didn't turn into a shrew on him. I got the impression that she shared those concerns and was a little glad to see Howard go to that place as well. 

Conceiving on Sheldon's bed will always be a crowning moment of funny.

I love seeing Amy's joy in now being able to share in the 'girl talk' and how she takes every opportunity to remind them that she and Sheldon finally did it.

Drunk Sheldon will never not be amusing. And I nearly cried when he articulated about how he and Howard didn't have their fathers long and that means that Howard will do everything in his power to be a good dad.

• Love 22

I thought it was well done. I like how Howard's fears centered around being a good father, not that he had to give up stuff (comic book nights and the like). I thought those were very realistic things to bother him, especially since it turns out this was not a planned pregnancy.  I thought his points about religion and child care and finances were all very true to life. And I'm super-delighted that Bernie let him have his freak-out and didn't turn into a shrew on him. I got the impression that she shared those concerns and was a little glad to see Howard go to that place as well. 

I love seeing Amy's joy in now being able to share in the 'girl talk' and how she takes every opportunity to remind them that she and Sheldon finally did it.

That's something I didn't understand. I know the pregnancy was unplanned but they've been dating/married for a long enough time where I thought the subject of the finances/religious differences/child care would have been discussed outside the one "You stay home with the kids, while I be the breadwinner" talk (at least off-screen). It just threw me for a loop that those concerns were now just coming up, particularly because that's the type of thing you'd ensure both parties are on a similar page before getting married (I imagine).

I second the Amy "high-five" about now being a grown-up.

I liked the episode. And i have to say if season 1 Howard would eventually turn out like present day Howard? I'd be telling you off.

So while I'm kind of meh on the pregnancy, I'm happy with the reveal and the reactions.

Drunk Sheldon seems so silly sweet and I liked that he reassured Howard.

With how Howards written while he wants to be dad, not surprised he freaked out about it. He'll probably be the type to overcompensate while raising his kid. He had no dad, so bet you anything he'd always be there and around no matter what.

Solid episode.

• Love 3

That's something I didn't understand. I know the pregnancy was unplanned but they've been dating/married for a long enough time where I thought the subject of the finances/religious differences/child care would have been discussed outside the one "You stay home with the kids, while I be the breadwinner" talk (at least off-screen). It just threw me for a loop that those concerns were now just coming up, particularly because that's the type of thing you'd ensure both parties are on a similar page before getting married (I imagine).

Because there is a big difference between having the discussions when it's still hypothetical and and when it's now reality. 

• Love 7

Any episode that combines Sheldon and alcohol is a good episode in my book....

I enjoyed nearly all of this episode, although I do think the karaoke went on far too long.  I would have preferred more drunk Sheldon (or drunk anyone) to 3-4 songs sung to Bernadette's uterus.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 7

It's also one of those things where it's easy to be idealistic in your parenting views until you're actually looking at a pregnancy. Bernie was always so on be fence about having children that she may not have even let the conversation occur while dating. It sounded like they had started to work on some solutions, then had an oopsie baby.

What's really strange to me is that it sounded like they were using condoms, not any type of pill as their contraceptive. Maybe it's Bernie's Catholic background, but it just doesn't ring true that a college-educated woman who works in pharmaceuticals who was unsure about having kids would rely on a contraceptive they may not always have. I know it's probably written that way for the "conceived on Sheldon's bed" joke, but that was a fail for me.

• Love 4

What's really strange to me is that it sounded like they were using condoms, not any type of pill as their contraceptive. Maybe it's Bernie's Catholic background, but it just doesn't ring true that a college-educated woman who works in pharmaceuticals who was unsure about having kids would rely on a contraceptive they may not always have. I know it's probably written that way for the "conceived on Sheldon's bed" joke, but that was a fail for me.

Just gonna link my post on this subject in the last episode's thread.

I loved the episode. Simon Helberg is such an underrated actor and he carried this one so beautifully. I almost cried laughing at his delivery of the "pig in a blanket" line.

• Love 9

I liked it too -- for a lot of reasons already mentioned. 

It was nice the pregnancy question wasn't dragged out.  That Howard did find out pretty quickly.  And I thought it was kinda clever how Bernadette revealed it too. 

It was funny (though and a little "Eww!") that apparently the baby was conceived on Sheldon's bed.  Hope that won't scar the kid for life.  ;)   And I liked Drunk Sheldon.  To me he's much nicer and more tolerable when he's a bit buzzed.

I did think the best part was the Karaoke.  But I did feel for poor Bernie being serenaded by a couple of those songs.  Like "You're having my baby".  I dunno, for me it was kinda cringe worthy.   Both because the lyric of having MY baby, and for the suckiness of Howard trying to carry a tune with it.  I did like Sheldon's drunken "My Country 'Tis of Thee" though.  Haven't heard that song in quite awhile.  (sorry, British folks for the pilfering of "God Save the Queen".  :)

All in all, I enjoyed the episode. 

• Love 3

Simon Helberg is such an underrated actor and he carried this one so beautifully. I almost cried laughing at his delivery of the "pig in a blanket" line.

And i have to say if season 1 Howard would eventually turn out like present day Howard? I'd be telling you off.

My sister and I were talking about this a few weeks ago. After seeing a rerun of the time Howard at the butterfly and "Come on Sandwich build me a lemon cause froggy wants to come home" (always funny no matter how many times I see it) we decided that Howard was one of our favorite characters and how the hell did that happen!  and that Simon Helberg was really overlooked in this cast. He is so very funny.  

I don't always like Bernadette but I did in this episode. So grateful they didn't have her turn into Howard's mother for this one. She was cute. 

I love Amy and her little "grown up" moments were so cute.  

• Love 4

I was kind of bored. Karaoke was a miss for me. I know he was in shock, but I think Howard should have been a little less freaked and a little more excited, based on how his wanting to have kids was an issue between Bernadette and him prior to marriage.

Best part: The women chatting, particularly when Penny says (in response to Amy's "why are we drinking, since Bernie can't")--and I paraphrase--"Hey, it's not like she's got the Christ child in there." Best line of the night.

• Love 4

My problem with was:

Karaoke scenes even when they're funny are a crutch for when you can't think of something better.

It did not make sense that they basically implied Howard and his friends found out within one day of each other. Either Bernadette waited a really long time to share this with him, or they told their friends earlier than you're supposed to spread the news.

And I still don't understand Howard's money freak out. I mean, I know having a kid is very expensive so in a general sense, sure, but we've been lead to believe he has a steady and well paid enough job and that B does quite well. Yes, they live in one of the more expensive cities in the country but people who make a lot less money than these two have been presented as doing have children all the time and don't go bankrupt. And possibly their house is even paid off since he inherited it. That moment felt super disingenuous.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3
I don't really care about the fictional baby except that it spells the end of what used to be my favorite show.

The karaoke was lame, but otherwise I enjoyed the episode. I don't see why a Howard/Bernadette baby would be a show-killer. Since both are secondary characters, the writers can mine the pregnancy and parenthood for comedy without changing the basic direction of the show. Now a Penny/Leonard pregnancy, that would worry me more . . .

I liked drunk!Sheldon. Funny how alcohol makes Raj more of a jerk and Sheldon less of one :-)  His comment about Howard and he knowing what it's like to grow up without a father, and therefore Howard will be a great Dad, was downright sweet -- almost made up for his initial selfish reaction. And I love how Raj noted that, even drunk, Sheldon is still smarter than everybody else.

• Love 6

While I concede that Sheldon's playlist is probably limited to things like "My Country 'Tis of Thee", I was kind of hoping he'd go for "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina" or "Don't Fence Me In" or maybe "The Battle Hymn of the Republic".

• Love 2

I don't see having a baby as the end of the show either - for me the show we're watching now isn't the same show we were watching when the show first aired and frankly that's not a bad thing!  A show about 20 something nerds who can't get girlfriends was funny a show about nerdy men pushing 40 who can't get girlfriends?  Not so much.  The word pathetic comes to mind.  If the show is going to go on for a few more years I'd much rather it have the characters I've come to care about progress in their lives - and while I hope that means keeping the "sciency stuff" and the "nerd" references I'm glad it also means they've stopped lusting after super models and going on dates with women they don't like much just because she might sleep with them.

• Love 13

A good episode, but I think my favourite thing was Leonard's contribution to 'Bust A Move'.

That song is MY JAM.  Interestingly, my *other* jam (Hit Me Baby...One More Time) would have also fit into this episode's theme :)

• Love 3

I did like Sheldon's drunken "My Country 'Tis of Thee" though.  Haven't heard that song in quite awhile.  (sorry, British folks for the pilfering of "God Save the Queen".  :)

You are more than welcome to the dreadful dirge. A national anthem that makes no reference to our country, it's a nonsense based around deference and religion, neither of which is to my taste. I refuse to sing it. I long for the day we get a decent anthem.

• Love 2

I liked the reveal to Howard.  Bernadette's smile while trying to guide him was beautiful. As to telling their friends, since they are Howard's only close family, it made sense he'd tell the guys quickly, but I would have liked a moment of Howard realizing he'd need to explain what he did to Bernie's dad.

When he started singing 'having my baby' I joined in.  My 18yo looked up and said 'is that a real song?'  Yes dear, the 70's were a wonder. 

• Love 3

Best part: The women chatting, particularly when Penny says (in response to Amy's "why are we drinking, since Bernie can't")--and I paraphrase--"Hey, it's not like she's got the Christ child in there." Best line of the night.

Penny got off a couple of good lines. That was one of them. The other was when she reads aloud the text from Leonard before Bernadette spills the news, so she matter-of-factly asks Bernie, "How do you want to play this?"

This episode didn't suck, and Sheldon wasn't as big a douchebag as he usually is, so it was kind of a win. Unfortunately, they're already going with the "Bernie is an even bigger bitch than before because hormones."

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

Either Bernadette waiting a really long time to share this with him, or they told their friends earlier than you're supposed to spread the news.

People used to wait longer, partly because they didn't always know themselves as soon as woman can know now!  But yeah, I agree there was a time when mostly parents tended to wait awhile before sharing the news of their "blessed event".  Based on nothing other than personal observation though I'd have to say it's the rare couple who delay telling everyone and they share the news almost as soon as they know about it themselves. 

• Love 1

And I still don't understand Howard's money freak out. I mean, I know having a kid is very expensive so in a general sense, sure, but we've been lead to believe he has a steady and well paid enough job and that B does quite well. Yes, they live in one of the more expensive cities in the country but people who make a lot less money than these two have been presented as doing have children all the time and don't go bankrupt. And possibly their house is even paid off since he inherited it. That moment felt super disingenuous.

It felt real to me, the brain isn't always in rational thought mode. Sometimes the irrational part takes over and you have a freak out until you can calm down and asses the situation without your emotions running amok.

• Love 5
I don't see having a baby as the end of the show either - for me the show we're watching now isn't the same show we were watching when the show first aired and frankly that's not a bad thing!  A show about 20 something nerds who can't get girlfriends was funny a show about nerdy men pushing 40 who can't get girlfriends?  Not so much.  The word pathetic comes to mind.  If the show is going to go on for a few more years I'd much rather it have the characters I've come to care about progress in their lives - and while I hope that means keeping the "sciency stuff" and the "nerd" references I'm glad it also means they've stopped lusting after super models and going on dates with women they don't like much just because she might sleep with them.

Yeah, while I might look back fondly at the "good old days" of the show, I don't want the characters to be frozen in amber. I know someone who laments that Penny is no longer as ditzy and skanky (his word, not mine) as she used to be -- she cut her hair and has a professional job now. But while early Penny is a hoot, what was cute when you are in your twenties is less cute when you are in your thirties. Even if the characters acted the very same way as they did in the first season, the audience perception of them would be different, since their behavior would now be evidence of stagnation. With regard to Bernadette getting pregnant, if the writers wanted to go that route at any point, now is a good time. As a biologist, I would think she would appreciate the benefits of conceiving while she is not too far into her thirties (I assume the character is meant to be somewhere between 30 and 35 or so; the actress is 35).

Edited by tpel
  • Love 5

It felt real to me, the brain isn't always in rational thought mode. Sometimes the irrational part takes over and you have a freak out until you can calm down and asses the situation without your emotions running amok.

Yeah I agree, Howard was being Howard.  He started freaking out 5 seconds after rejoicing in the news.  They acknowledge almost immediately that Bernadette makes good money and that Howard is overreacting.  I did love his lines about hiring a nanny but one who isn't too good looking!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 2

While I concede that Sheldon's playlist is probably limited to things like "My Country 'Tis of Thee", I was kind of hoping he'd go for "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina" or "Don't Fence Me In" or maybe "The Battle Hymn of the Republic".

I was hoping they would bring back "Deep in the Heart of Texas" or "We Will Rock You"  Both of which were some of my favorite Sheldon moments. 

• Love 1

When he started singing 'having my baby' I joined in.  My 18yo looked up and said 'is that a real song?'  Yes dear, the 70's were a wonder.

I remember asking myself "Is that a real song?" the first time I heard it in the 70's. Hated it then and hate it now. (My apologies to fellow Canadian Paul Anka).

There were so many good lines in this epi. Loved Penny telling Bernadette that she could buy tiny clothes and toys, and she replied that she already does that for Howard. And Amy saying Sheldon was drunk texting because he ended his question with a period instead of a question mark. And Drunk Sheldon is always entertaining.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 8

Besides learning about Bernadette's pregnancy, we also learned through Chuck Lorre's vanity card that he wants to be considered for the supreme court vacancy.

I don't usually stop the recording to look at those but I did for this one and it was hilarious. I'll have to start paying attention to those.

There has never been a more hideous song than Having My Baby written in the history of forever. I used to have a friend who literally screamed out loud in horror whenever that song was played.

• Love 6

Ah, I remember, there was something of a kerfuffle over Paul Anka's "Having My Baby" when it came out, because it was, well, considered sexist in the new era of women's liberation. He's basically singing about how the woman is having his baby; some folks complained that the lyrics more appropriately should have been along the lines of "having our baby". 

Never cared for the song either way.

• Love 2

People used to wait longer, partly because they didn't always know themselves as soon as woman can know now!  But yeah, I agree there was a time when mostly parents tended to wait awhile before sharing the news of their "blessed event".

My understanding is that most doctors recommend not telling anyone until after the first trimester because if one were to have a miscarriage, that's when it'd be (probably), so you save yourself some heartache if you don't tell others until farther along so you don't need to have the "nevermind, we're not having a baby" conversation. I didn't think the delay in sharing had to do with how easily one could be certain. Perhaps I was mistaken about how common this advice is?

But that is why I thought it was weird they'd immediately tell all their friends. I mean, I know some people can't help themselves telling right away, so I suppose especially on the Howard side of things I can see him not keeping it to himself. Or maybe it's just TV and we need to accept it that once they do the reveal between H+B we need the immediate ripple effects because: sitcom. It still bugged me.

They didn't say...but she did say she had gone to the doctor.  When I was pregnant with my kids, the doctors wouldn't even see me until I was 10 weeks along.

Must depend on the doctor, my daughter-in-law is pregnant and has already had two doctor's appointments and an ultrasound and she's only about 10 weeks along right now.

When I was first pregnant (2001 and 2004), I had a doctor's appt and bloodwork to confirm the pregnancy, and then an ultrasound at about 11 or 12 weeks. I'm in Canada, and from what I've read, many doctors in the US will do an u/s quite early on..

Must depend on the doctor, my daughter-in-law is pregnant and has already had two doctor's appointments and an ultrasound and she's only about 10 weeks along right now.

Both my doctor's were in the same medical group, so it might be a group thing.  Who knows....

In Jewish tradition there's a lot of superstition surrounding pregnancy. I forget whether it's superstition or law, but I seem to remember something about not telling anyone until the 5th(?) month. And actually if you want to go whole hog you try to avoid mentioning the pregnancy or acknowledging it at all just to be safe (and keep the evil eye away). I'm a superstitious one and spent my friend's entire pregnancy inquiring about how her "manuscript" was coming along.

I was surprised to see that a bunch of my facebook friends were willing to announce as soon as the stick changed color and then posted their ultrasounds as soon as possible. Made me a tad nervous personally, but that's their choice.

• Love 4