Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E11: Showcase #1: 1st 12 Performances

• Start Topic

Stephany - She's always a strong singer and performer, but I keep forgetting that she's in the competition. I don't know why, she just escapes my mind all the time. 

Mackenzie - I like him, but I hate that song. 

Jeneve - Holy shit, that was cool. I had mixed feelings about her being in the top 24, but she did an excellent job and made it her own. And I don't know what Harry was talking about, I thought the harp was an awesome addition. But man, can wardrobe please step in and help her? I'm sure there is a way to put together something that looks nice that still rings true to her personal aesthetic. 

Jenna - I completely missed her in the auditions and hollywood week. I have no idea who this girl is. I guess she's fine, I like it when female country singers have fuller, lower voices rather than that yelpy voice that so many country girls in these competitions seem to have. Her foundation didn't seem to match her neck, do the girls do their own makeup and hair during idol? 

James - Super talented, but it was a bit lackluster

Sonika - Beautiful voice, beautiful girl. I feel like her face is a bit stiff while performing, but she's still so elegant and lovely to listen to. 

Gianna - First off, "I Put a Spell on You" isn't a dang Annie Lennox song. Didn't Screamin' Jay Hawkins do that song first? Or was there somebody before him? Oh well, this has been the first performance of hers that I cared for. Good on ya kid. 

Emily - Started out too low for her abilities, and I feel like she knew it and had pitch issues the rest of the performance.

Avalon - I dig her voice, her personality reminds me of a teen boy. It's not just the clothes, it's the way she engaged the audience in this song. Reminds me of a young male pop singer for some reason.

Jordan Sasser - He cut his hair and got some decent clothes! He suddenly looks kind of hot. He has an excellent voice, but I'm not sure that song was a good fit for him. Also, good for his wife for putting headphones on that baby. I've seen so many contestant families in the audience with babies, and all I can think is "that poor babe's ears". But srsly dude, please leave the Celine songs alone. I know you love her, but it's getting old. 

THOMAS - PLZ STAHP YELPING. He irritates me because he could be very good if he toned down some of the whimpering and yelping. And stop doing "Creep" in singing competitions. 

La'Porsha - I like her, good song choice too. I love how intense in the face she gets while singing. Also, I think it's funny that the big girl in the competition is the one who can dance and sing without losing her breath. I've seen a lot of people try and dance around while singing, and the judges usually tell them to stop because they lose their breath or pacing. I like seeing her hair pulled back like that too. 

Edited by RaDrCox
  • Love 5

Stephanie: She has a Nicole Sherzinger quality, but maybe a shade less effervescent, which is surprising that I'd call a Pussycat Doll "effervescent". But she's definitely got that bawdy, strutty way about her. She's a pretty girl and has a full-bodied voice, but I don't know if she stands out. She might be this season's Pia.

Matthew: He looks like somebody, but I can't put my finger on it. That was...alright, but fuck if I'm not tired of Coffeeshop Idol.

Jeneve: Can't believe this chick is 15. She has a beautifully mature and effortlessly expressive voice. Jesus. In a different contest, I'd want her to win and go to be a major recording artist. Maybe too good for this contest, actually.

Jena: Damn...that was kinda all over the place and kinda awesome. Her voice sounds really familiar. Like maybe Anastasia? Or a less polished Adele? I don't know, but I liked it.

James 8: Another talented guitar strummer. I liked it. He has a Gavin DeGraw thing. His phrasing and slightly mannered oversinging. I liked it, but they gave him good advice. This ain't a kegger, bro. Put your back into it.

Sonika: Awww, Miss Pakistan can sing! It was really pretty. I just wanna hug her. It was a little Disney princess for me, but she sang a Taylor Swift song and made it sound like something I would want to hear (sidebar: what is it about Tay Tay's songs that sound so good when other people sing them...I remember the chick a few seasons ago who sang "Change" and it sounded really good, and Jessie J's rendition of "I Knew You Were Trouble" still floors me), and it's refreshing to hear something that sounds...pop? I don't know.

Gianna: she has a really good voice. She has a good, kinda punkish attitude. Wrong song for this stage of the competition, though. You gotta take your time and really do that song justice. But J. Pez was right when she said she has the most privileged voice in the competition. When your mom is Brenda K. Starr (the chick who gave Mariah Carey her start), you better be able to sing.

Emily: Heeeeeeell naw. She started too low and she has some pitch issues. Uh uh.

Avalon: She has a nice vibe. I love tomboys, but she's got a sweet, girly voice. It was nice, but I want a superstar.

Jordan: Steve Perry needs to...I mean, I appreciated the theatrics, but I don't know. It was a little uncomfortable and shouty. Harry made me laugh "I don't...like that"

Thomas: What is it about these singer-songwriters from rural areas sounding like Brits? I remember when it was kinda cool Josiah Lemming did it way back when, but now it's like every third dude is from Buttass, AL and sounds like they're from Wellingtonfordshire, UK. Why is he dressed like James Bay? Also shut up, Harry.

La'Porsha: Eh. She kinda whimped out of on her vocals, kinda like Gianna did. Her hair looks like old broccoli.

• Love 4

I do not like this Jordan Sasser (sp??) guy. And they really should give Eric Carmen credit for All By Myself. His performance was just really theatrical. I think Sonnika is TCO.   Thomas and MacKenzie were great. I really liked LaPorsha too. I think she has a very sweet personality and I have been waiting for her to BLOW (I mean sang!)

• Love 4

Avalon was the only performer who didn't either seriously annoy me on some level &/or bore me to death, and it's not like she was a specific favorite of mine coming out of Hollywood week.  I feel like I should like Jeneve's performance, but I just can't with her.

I thought Avalon was incredibly annoying but apparently Jordan took that as some sort of challenge.

Show, don't say that you are bringing back Idol favorites and then thrust Constantine on me. Those two things do not go together.

• Love 2

From Best to Worst:

Avalon – Dark. Horse. One of the major legitimate threats to the Idol XV crown. I expect some Kris Allen/Haley Reinhart levels of busing soon. She made me like a Bieber song.

La'Porsha – I'm a little confused as to what she would be artistically based on her song choices. Other than that, this girl slayed it.

Jeneve – A bit rushed in terms of tempo, but this was the first time Jeneve sold vocals over persona. I think her big problem is that stupid story Idol is attempting to shove down our throats and that goofy song she chose for her audition. When she flat out sings and emotes… she's on point.

Gianna – She came across as one of the least nervous out of the first bunch. Crystal clear vocals. Color me surprised, I was expecting to be very indifferent to this. She's got zero personality until she sings though and I agree with Harry: she could have been on any Idol season for the loud and in tune is all that's necessary factor. What else is there? She's got to bring that next time.

Thomas – Apparently he thinks he's Damien Rice. When he doesn't do the vocal hiccup and affectation, he shows off an incredibly very good sense of pitch, tone, and emotion. I think he was probably the best male tonight but I personally can't unhear the hiccups and affectations. I say get rid of all the guys in this round except Mackenize, but I'll admit Thomas did well tonight. I just don't see Thomas doing any better that this.

Mackenize – I didn't love the arrangement entirely, and he seemed a bit nervous, but there were quite a bit of strong vocal control and a good sense of musicality. I wanted to hear more of that.

Sonika – Someone's going to prom. SHUT UP CROWD. Vocal is lovely but there was a bit of an emotional barrier present. Similar to Stephany in that good vocal, no presence. I do enjoy Sonika's delicate approach to singing, but I need to hear her over the swaybots.

Stephany – Reminds me of Nicole Scherzinger from the Pussycat Dolls. Very good vocal, however… no connection and very charisma-lite. I don't really care and in this crop, she's not particularly special.

James VIII – Band bar singer. Meh. That's not how you win Idol bud; that's how you get a week one boot.

Jordan – He's much better looking with the haircut. He's wannabe Clay Aiken. But there's no artistic flavor. And he wasn't good vocally tonight.

Jenna – Cheese cheese with a side of cheese. That was not good. Cute girl though. But that performance was a waste of time. Shame: I always try to root for the T24 randoms who get lost in editing.

Emily – Ouch. That was… yikes. Bad. That was "if you heard someone singing that loud in their car while you were stuck in traffic, you'd roll down your window and tell them to shut up" levels of awful.

Overall this was a fantastic opening night. Very good. Still wish we were voting however.

Based of tonight I'd boot: Jordan, James, Emily, Jenna and one of Thomas or Stephany because these two in particular have direct competitors still in the competition who are simply better/more interesting than them.

• Love 2

Jordan...haircut doesn't make you better singer. Avalon was okay but nothing stood out. Thomas was decent but I was bored. Jeneve, the harp was too damn much and you bore me too. James..yeah bored again.

Emily you blew it. Nerves? Maybe. Bad song and bad singing. Don't think you're gonna survive the cuts.

I was mostly bored. And I think there were a couple others but hell if I remember them.

Except for LA Porsha. I loved her performance. She stood out the most and it shook me out of my boredom.

So we got 8 Females and 4 Males this week, and we'll get 7 Males and 5 Females next week.

Two of the four guys are chosen-ish ones (MacKenzie and Thomas) and two are absolute cannon fodder with a capital C (James and Jordan).

So that leaves 3 females to cut and a Emily-sized dilemma for the show. I actually don't think they'll cut her...but she certainly gave them every reason to. However, I think the cynicism of this season's semifinal format will rear it's ugly head and that might work to the disadvantage of probably Jeneve.

I think La'Porsha, Sonika, Avalon can probably breathe easy tomorrow night. If I'm right on the show's shenanigans regarding Emily that would leave one more ticket to the top 14. Amongst Stephany, Jeneve, Jenna Renae, Gianna. For some reason I feel like that "fifteenness" in the finale season matters and I really could see them giving it to the exceedingly awful Gianna.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Thomas: What is it about these singer-songwriters from rural areas sounding like Brits? I remember when it was kinda cool Josiah Lemming did it way back when, but now it's like every third dude is from Buttass, AL and sounds like they're from Wellingtonfordshire, UK. Why is he dressed like James Bay? Also shut up, Harry.

Spoiling myself and haven't actually watched but, it may be natural.  The reason why I say this is, I had a British aspiring actor friend in college, and she said traditionally whenever any new-to-accent-work Briton tries out an American accent, they gravitate to Southern.  Apparently the vowel sounds, or the dipthongs, or whatever (no linguist I!), are similar.

Also I saw an article today that wrote James 8's surname as "Vill", as in "Villain", so... that's special.

Gianna was really good.

Can a Kris Allen fan confirm if he ever sang "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West during his season?  Why do I feel like he did?  

The blonde country girl sounded awful.  The off the grid girl on the harp was surprisingly not bad.

I think Sonika sounded really nice but there is something so boring about her.  For example, I have no idea what song she sang and I don't care to look it up.

Poor Stephany, she's so beautiful and cool but will be lost in the shuffle.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I do not like this Jordan Sasser (sp??) guy. And they really should give Eric Carmen credit for All By Myself. His performance was just really theatrical.

Thank you for pointing this out........All By Myself is always being credited to Celene Dion for some reason....did her husband purchase it for her or something?  Eric Carmen was a musical prodigy (Harry, I'm looking at YOU for not clarifying this.).

I thought Thomas was going to sing the theme song from Toy Story (was there a theme song?) when he came out dressed as Woody.

Mackenzie is trying to be John Mayer.

New haircut worship guy forgot about his wife and kid yet again.

I hate Kanye West songs. Anyone who sings one should be sent home.

Can't wait to see Constantine tomorrow night...he must be about 56 by now.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 3

Thank you LexieLily.  I remember that being a good idea.... at THAT time.

I thought Thomas was going to sing the theme song from Toy Story (was there a theme song?) when he came out dressed as Woody.

Sure.  "You've Got a Friend in Me" by Randy Newman.

There's gotta be other Constantine fans besides me around.  Isn't it weird how much he looks like Chris D'Elia?

Didn't Screamin' Jay Hawkins do that song first? Or was there somebody before him?

Yes!  He wrote it!  He was first.  Nina Simone's version is also famous.  Much more famous than  (??? Who did they say?  Annie Lennox?  Seriously?  I thought I was younger than this!)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy LaPorsha a lot, but wasn't her performance ( as fun as it was) a total ripoff of Tina Turner performing her song ?

My thoughts exactly, from the vocal choices, the mannerisms, the dancing...even the costume.  She is clearly extremely talented, but the praise she received for this performance just highlighted how arbitrary the "judging" can be.   If a finalist they didn't want to promote had performed the same way, they would have called it derivative and unoriginal.

I felt bad for Emily.  Earlier rounds made her seem like a contender, but that was easily the worst performance of the night.

• Love 7

Emily's voice was not good and her singing was all over the place. I felt awful for her even though I wasn't invested in her. I think nerves got to her.

Avalon lost points for me when she sang Justin Beiber. No. Just no.

• Love 3

Where is this show taking place?  The hall seems awfully small.

What does "La Mujer del Mundo" mean at the bottom of the screen in Stephany's intro?  I mean, I know what the phrase means, but why was it there?

Stephany is too erotic for the typical Idol voter.

Ah.  I see they have "DJ Mack Daddy" under Mackenzie.  I guess it's their weird new Hastag kinda thing.

Love the song Mackenzie sang, and loved his delivery.

Jeneve is much too twee for me.  I don't care how she can sing, her whole look just bugs the heck out of me.

Jenna did nothing for me.

Instead of Kanye, whenever I hear "Love Lockdown", I think of Pentatonix.  But James (I refuse to add VIII) did a nice bluesy job. I don't hear indulgent at all.

I like Sonika, but her mean girl act during the group round makes me side eye her.

Right.  Let's be sure to remind America that Gianna's mother is somebody famous that I never heard of before.

Ugh, Emily Brooke was horrible.

Avalon needs some styling.

Ugh, Jordan Sasser was horrible, and that was a really bad song choice.

La'Porsha has now added Renae to her name, hm? She can't work it like Tina, but she's good. She still has the big hair, but she's curled it or something.

My favorite tonight was Mackenzie.

• Love 1

Rick Kitchen, I'm with you on the Love Lockdown and Pentatonix version. After hearing that version, any other reality competition version is going to fall far short. Also I think the phrase under Stephany had something to do with her love of trying to learn multiple languages.

I realize (especially after tonight's commentary from all three judges) that Thomas is one of their special snowflakes who will be in the Top 10 despite my exasperation. But I'm sorry, anyone who finds it necessary to pronounce the word "a" like "oi" is trying a million times too hard to be unique and is pretty much dead to me. The freaking ridiculousness of the positive commentary to him and Gianna.....and yet they still give Sonika relatively muted praise makes me want to throw a remote again. Her voice had the perfect amount of vulnerability (while still soaring when the song required it) for Safe and Sound. If they decide to cut her in favor of yet another ill-prepared 15 year old I may just call it a day and regroup with the Voice.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I do not like this Jordan Sasser (sp??) guy. And they really should give Eric Carmen credit for All By Myself.

Yes!  [screamin' Jack Hawkins] wrote it !  He was first.  Nina Simone's version is also famous.  Much more famous than  (??? Who did they say?  Annie Lennox?  Seriously?  I thought I was younger than this!)

Yes! Thank you I don't know why AI can't give credit to the original artists as well as the singer who is best known for it now. (Wikipedia--it's your friend, show!)o

I thought Emily was the worst and then along came Jordan. Just when I was hoping never to hear him sing again, along came Thomas. Seriously, I will have to mute Thomas' performances if he goes forward. He's so bad. I can't understand why they were all so encouraging. He was awful. Also, Emily's singing out of tune again? I don't care how "cute" she is, she really shouldn't take a space from someone who can actually sing. And Jordan's ineffective over-emoting? Also so bad. Too bad that Emily and Thomas (at least) seem destined for Top 12.  I'd like to see James VIII leaving as well.

Of the rest, I missed Mackenzie but already like him well enough to hope he goes on . La Porshe, Avalon, Jena, Gianna, Sonika are fine to me. I don't object to Stephany advancing either--she's proficient even though I don't share her song taste so far. . 

I was surprised how impressed I was by Jeneve -- and totally disagree with Harry about the harp. It was refreshing and I thought she was very good (esp. of course for 15). Quite an impressive array of instruments if she can actually play (at least a few) of them well.  I usually enjoy when they add an instrument as long as it doesn't distract from the performance -- and I really thought it didn't.   Pretty good start and I'm definitely looking forward to the duets with former Idols tomorrow. Sounds fun.. .

• Love 1

My thoughts exactly, from the vocal choices, the mannerisms, the dancing...even the costume.  She is clearly extremely talented, but the praise she received for this performance just highlighted how arbitrary the "judging" can be.   If a finalist they didn't want to promote had performed the same way, they would have called it derivative and unoriginal.

As I was watching LaPorsha I kept thinking of a Motown tribute show I watched in Vegas a year ago. That is exactly where I saw LaPorsha performing in my mind. Nothing original about her version whatsoever.

I loved Jeneve, Mackenzie and Thomas.

When I hear "I Put a Spell on You" I always think of CCR.

• Love 2

I have never liked Jordan - from the start, his wife was a better singer, and she wasn't that good. His voice sounded awful, his eyes creep me out, he doesn't fit in with the top 24.  he doesn't belong there.

Thomas - wow, I liked him before, but this was pretty bad, and got all kinds of praise.   I must be missing something. 

LaPorsha - I don't know, it seemed like a karoke imitation of Tina Turner doing the song, step by step, line by line, like she studied a video of Tina, and copied it exactly. Even the fringe dress seemed to be an imitation of Tina Turner.   

• Love 5

I would say both "exotic" and "erotic." I would also say that she's not likely to be around much longer, because she's hardly the sweet, girl-next-door type that Idol typically pushes. But with her looks and ability to sell into the huge Latin American market, she may be their most marketable contestant.

They started and ended with the only two lively performances. LaPorsha is entertaining, but I agree that she's like someone you'd see in a Vegas lounge act doing Tina Turner or Donna Summer covers. Not very interesting. (Though her hair looked better tonight.)

The original "I Put a Spell on You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins from 1956 is still one of the greatest rock'n'roll records ever. I also like Nina Simone's version, because like with everything she does, she made it her own. But Annie Lennox??? Well, on Idol it seems to be her year, because she was also given credit for the Jimmy Cliff classic "Many Rivers to Cross."

And while Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" is on my personal list of most annoying songs of the '70s, it definitely belongs to him and not Celine Dionne.

Emily was surprisingly terrible. I guess she's not ready this year either.

I liked Jenna Rennae in her audition, when she played piano and sang with real feeling. Tonight she was trying to be something she's not. Definitely in the first group of cuts.

Jeneve Rose's performance was light years better than her horrible "Ring of Fire," and I'm glad she lost the hat. But she still leaves me cold. And her music teacher and his wife being in the audience? Is that an Idol first? Well, my pet theory is that her Daddy is some rich rancher or oil man, so maybe he flew them down on his private plane.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

The Marilyn Manson version of "I Put a Spell on You" is divine and if someone had done THAT version I would definitely vote for them when it comes time for voting.

I feel like these two weeks are utterly pointless because the judges are going to put through who they want regardless of what they did or sounded like.

For instance, I like James VIII a lot and thought he sounded good and it was fun, and then it gets roundly panned so I know he's not a favorite and is most likely getting cut.

I don't know why the show had to fuck with the format anyways. Just let us vote from 24 on.

• Love 1

I think maybe they changed the format because of shortening the season and also because of wanting to be sure certain people went through.<br /><br />Emily , James and Jordan weren't good. Not sure who the other two cuts will be.

La'Porsha and Jeneve were the standout performers.  Of course, JLo had to say that she wasn't initially a fan of Jeneve. Girl has one of the strongest voices this season but she doesn't have the look that is so important to Lopez.

Mackenzie is cute and has a nice stage presence so he'll go far with the teen girl voters that dominate AI.  There's potential there but hard to judge with his choice of songs.

Jordan who loves Celine Dion and has a wife and baby kind of sucked. He's a certain cut.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 2

Why was Thomas Stringfellow wailing that he wished he was spacial?  So very spacial.

Is he missing a dimension or something?

And I'm sure Jenna is a delightful person but there will never come a day when I would refer to her as my "fav homie".  Just no.

I loved how Jordan strode right past his wife and baby until she had to lunge out and grab his arm to get his attention.

Temple Doody (Jeneve) is just so painfully earnest it's hard to watch her.  However, I was out of the room when she came on the TV and sight unseen I was wondering who was torturing that poor Angel song so I guess it's hard to listen to her too.

Poor Emily.

• Love 2

La'Porsha and Jeneve were the standout performers.  Of course, JLo had to say that she wasn't initially a fan of Jeneve. Girl has one of the strongest voices this season but she doesn't have the look that is so important to Lopez.

Mackenzie is cute and has a nice stage presence so he'll go far with the teen girl voters that dominate AI.  There's potential there but hard to judge with his choice of songs.

Jordan who loves Celine Dion and has a wife and baby kind of sucked. He's a certain cut.

I don't get the impression that JLo thinks this at all.  I do though!  Image and appearance is part of the winning package.  

La Portia was good but I am sick of contestants singing Proud Mary.  She is typical of a good black female singer with all the moves, nothing new or current about her.  Unfortunately her hair does look like old broccoli.  Thanks to the poster who supplied that visual!  

No one stands out to me other than Jeneve because she is so different.  Who knows if she can win.  I barely remember her style.  I thought she was a country singer.   I don't have a favorite.  

• Love 1

My initial thoughts:

I liked Mackenzie, Jenna Renae, Avalon, Thomas (although he needs to stop with the yipping) and James.  La'Porsha sounded good but needed to not to Tina Turner - everyone needs to stop trying to do Tina.  I liked Jeneve's red jacket but if you can't emotionally connect to the abused animal song, then you're too young for this.  Sonika has a lovely voice but she leaves me completely cold.  I wanted Emily to do well because I really liked her during Hollywood week, but that was awful; it almost sounded like something was wrong with her voice, but I suppose it was because the key was completely wrong for her.  Manbun(less) can go home now.  Gianna and Stephany were 'meh' to me.

I hate belters who have to stuff their songs full of runs; they can all leave immediately and the show would be better for it as far as I'm concerned.

If Mackenzie makes it past this round and into the voting rounds, he's going to win it all.

• Love 3

Hmmm... I'm in a minority here I guess... 'cept for my opinion of Emily. *sigh* That was spectacularly awful.

Mackenzie can bring the singer songwriter in a small venue all day every day. I now need to hide my old lady crush from the spouse and subtly encourage my daughters to root for the beautiful young man.

La'Porsha was awesome. Though it reminded me of Turner, it was not karaoke to me at all. Good and memorable way to end the night.

Gianna's nasal tones were unimpressive and her performance overblown.

With regard to Jeneve, I agreed with Harry. The harp was taking her out of the first minute and a half or so of the song. Once she re-connected to it, she did a great job with a crazy tough number.

Jenna who?

Jordan's not my favorite but he too took on a crazy tough song and, though shouty, was in tune and gave a performance. After the make-over, I wouldn't hate seeing him again.

Thomas TOTALLY channeled TOY STORY. I thought he was more Jane than Woody, but I'm with you drafan. His affect pulls me out of his performance every time.

Sonika sounded beautiful while being gorgeous and classy. Good for her.

Stephany and James were ok. I agreed with the judges comments with regard to James- either he chooses to take some risks or he'll be stuck singing on the bus ride home.  

I'm curious about the duets tonight. Kinda looking forward to them.

I liked the tighter editing and the one hour show. More liked the old days. No endless stretching into two hour advertising marathons.

Fell in love with Keith again tonight. Great specific, colorful commentary. Talent portals for Tina Turner redux. Lean into abandonment! for Thomas.

Although right after that Ryan said to Thomas that he took a risk with the abandonment. What? Exact same thing he's done every time. I had to FF through it to skip the faux-Brit anguish.

Yes, I saw Jordan run right past his baby reaching out for him. Nice one. And Harry was right. Just sing the damn song. Don't overdo it all twisted up into knots. I felt like he was rushing to the bathroom and that is why he blew past the family.

Gianna is 15 and her songs have been way too old for her. Sing them in 10 years when you have some edge. If you're going to sing a torchy song like Put a Spell on You why are you doing it in a mini granny dress and hardly any make up and little girl hair. Now was the time for the black leather, the hair up, the dramatic eyes, the heels, the strut. 15 be damned. As Simon used to say, it was like watching a kitten sing it. Can't have it both ways.

Make up and costume made up for it on La Por'sha or however she spells it though. Great dress for her size. But yes, time to dip into something current with that voice and attitude.

And poor Emily. When even I can tell it's too low and a train wreck from the first few notes... Bad. I was glad to hear the judges agree and keep it real.

OverallI thought the commentary from judges was much improved and not all the vague,time-stretching, you're so talented filler they've been indulging in.

And oh yes, props to the first poster who mentioned Thomas was channeling Woody from Toy Story. Nailed it! Except for the voice of course.

• Love 1

Mackenzie is trying to be John Mayer.

Yes! And this is one of the reasons I can't stand him. To me, his changing up of every song to "make it his own" makes them all sound the same, and he took all the pain out of "Say Something," I thought. I'm actually surprised at how much I've come to love Dalton, in part because his re-arranging of songs always feels more like a new interpretation that adds something, rather than just changing it randomly.

I realize (especially after tonight's commentary from all three judges) that Thomas is one of their special snowflakes who will be in the Top 10 despite my exasperation. But I'm sorry, anyone who finds it necessary to pronounce the word "a" like "oi" is trying a million times too hard to be unique and is pretty much dead to me. 

Why was Thomas Stringfellow wailing that he wished he was spacial?  So very spacial.

Is he missing a dimension or something?

I kept hearing it as "Spay Show," as if we were suddenly watching a telethon for the ASPCA. He is so affected I can't bear to watch or listen.

• Love 3

Jeneve Rose's performance was light years better than her horrible "Ring of Fire," and I'm glad she lost the hat. But she still leaves me cold. And her music teacher and his wife being in the audience? Is that an Idol first? Well, my pet theory is that her Daddy is some rich rancher or oil man, so maybe he flew them down on his private plane.

I hadn't thought of this but I think you're right about the wealth behind Jeneve. Maybe when she mentioned living "off the grid", she forgot to add, "Luckily we can take the jet to our other home or to great vacations whenever and wherever we want." How many instruments were listed that she owns, plays and apparently takes private lessons to learn? Seemed like at least 15 of them, including large and expensive items like a piano and harp.  Must be a very large home, too. Not sure why I assumed she was poor--probably the jeans, although they and the boots were expensive. Smart to present herself as some country bumpkin prodigy rather than someone whose family can and does buy her whatever she wants (just guessing here, but it makes sense. I'll TRY not to hold it against her.)

La Porsche.  (Where was the baby? Honestly, I'm not a baby person at all, but if I were a casting director I'd put that baby in commercials ASAP. She was just so adorable and great with people and cameras. But, no, it's not "Baby Idol" so ... moving on. ) 

She looked much better with the different hair (wigs?) And she can certainly sing up a storm. She seems well situated to make at least T6. That said, I'm puzzled by her song choice. If I could sing that well, and in that big bold style like Tina, I would never, ever choose an iconic song that is so completely associated with one person and then sing it very similarly, if not "much the same". She's good enough that we -shouldn't- hear/see her and think "powerful voice, great Las Vegas lounge act", but what else would she expect? 

With all the songs to choose from, why invite that kind of comparison? You can make us say, "Wow! She's a lot like Tina!", but it diminishes your claim to being seen as an artist yourself.  Better to perform "a bit like Tina" if that's your style, but on a song she never recorded.  I really don't understand what she was thinking to choose "Proud Mary" unless it was "people love it back home when I sing this." On Idol, I don't get it.

• Love 4

I don't get the impression that JLo thinks this at all.  I do though!  Image and appearance is part of the winning package.  

JLo said, "I was not sure about you. And I'm telling you when I just saw you do that song, I had goosies everywhere. It was beautiful."

Why would she say this if it were not because of the change in her appearance, dropping the cowboy get-up?  Her voice didn't change.  Her "House of the Rising Sun" performance was equally excellent.  She just dressed more mainstream.

Image and appearance are not as important to becoming a popular singer as American Idol thinks it is.  That's why it's ending and The Voice is going strong.  People are attracted to music first and most importantly  because of the sound they hear.. Later, after hearing it, they may see the performer in a video or at a concert, but above all else, it has to sound good.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak

I don't agree.  Even on The Voice, once the initial blind audition is over, the jig is up and the coaches can easily jettison non-camera-ready contestants.  I don't think it's any surprise that Jennifer Hudson got voted off AI after a performance that featured stellar vocals and crazy facial expressions in equal measure.  And there are plenty of insanely popular recording artists out there who aren't very good singers but they're singing really catchy songs.  Meanwhile, The Voice hasn't really uncovered that many successful entertainers in proportion to Idol.

Plus, I have to keep reminding myself that people who vote are not voting for the same thing.  Some people vote for what they think is the best vocal.  Others vote for the cutest face/hair/clothes.  Or the most improved.  Or the one they perceive as having overcome the most obstacles.  And so on and so on.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 6

I'm actually surprised at how much I've come to love Dalton, in part because his re-arranging of songs always feels more like a new interpretation that adds something, rather than just changing it randomly.

ITA with that. He's got some very promising original stuff out there, too.

• Love 2

Hmmm... I'm in a minority here I guess... 'cept for my opinion of Emily. *sigh* That was spectacularly awful.

With regard to Jeneve, I agreed with Harry. The harp was taking her out of the first minute and a half or so of the song. Once she re-connected to it, she did a great job with a crazy tough number.

I thought the entire show was a mess.  I don't like the edited format or the long winded stuff either.  There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere.  I thought the harp over powered her singing and she looked awkward - Harry said something about her playing it standing up vs sitting down which was odd in itself. 

As soon as the negative comments started I figured it would be easy to see who was going to be eliminated.  Wonder who made the groups up?  It was very easy to see the possible eliminations from this group.  I've kept the show on my PVR and will go back to see if my guesses are right.  Can the same be said for the next group? 

• Love 1

Is he missing a dimension or something?.

Hehehe ^^^^ THIS made me LOL and I thought the same thing. WTH? SPATIAL?

It reminds me of another peeve when they sing "BIDE-dee" for body. Makes me cray and stabby.

HONDS OPP! (hands up)  

And I'm sure some sap will sing Adele's (Im a fan) Hello which will be sung as "hollow" and I will throw things.  

Ok, Im an ass. ;-) 

That one chick (Emily?) was all kinds of hurt my ears flat. Yikes.

And stop the shouting people. Sweet baby jesus.

Am I confused or is that Stefanie girl the Mexican Idol? DId I make that up?

And is Sonika really Miss Pakistan or are we just saying that here among us?  

Edited by ari333

I really don't like seeing all of Jordan Sasser's TEETH! Or his wife. The baby's ok. Stop yelling at me, Jordan!

And it wasnt Celine or Annie Lennox. Dont the producers have Google to look up song writers? So many artists have covered these songs. ...why put down any?

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 1
Wonder who made the groups up?

Idol has always made a hash of binning people in groups.

Season 1: Top 2 (Kelly/Justin) came from Group 2

Season 2: Top  3 (Ruben/Clay/Kimberley) came from Group 2 (Ruben/Kim advanced, Clay was wildcarded)

Season 3: Top 2 (Fantasia/Diana) came from Group 1, plus Jennifer Hudson who was wildcarded

They changed format to boys/girls until Season 8:

Season 8: Top 5 featured 4 from Group 2 (Kris, Adam, [Danny from Group 1], Alison and Matt (wildcarded)) In the end six of the top 13 came from Group 2 (of 3)

La'Porsha was good, but I've seen that performance a thousand times before. Why do I need another one? MacKenzie was good, but not different enough from the original. Avalon put a nice twist on the song and I appreciate her styling (if P2 can win wearing a grey t-shirt every week, then why can't she?). Emily tanked. I actually kind of like Thomas. I think the singing coaches will tame his vocal ticks. He does some interesting things to the melodies. I'll listen to him again. Gianna and Jordan need to go home. Jeneve can stay, although I can't decide if she annoys me or interests me. Everybody else not mentioned dwells in the land of "Meh".

• Love 1

Where is this show taking place?  The hall seems awfully small.

The place is Vibiana in Downtown LA. It used to be a church and is now an event venue. I've been there for a wedding and it's much larger than it looked last night. A very cool space.

Do TPTB think that folks NEED a schtick? Like, I find the no electricity thing annoying. Why dont they make her chew on a piece of straw and talk about corncobs and do a little jig ? (a la Ashley Simpson when she got caught lip synching.... elbows to the side and knees up heh) Just me 'memmer that? However, I have to give kudos though to any young person who plays several instruments well. So there's that.

Frankly Im sick of Celine and Mariah diva belter screech songs. Yet they always turn up.  

I"m with Harry. Stop the shouting and stop the runs.

• Love 3