Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Atomic Job

I feel like we're still missing some piece of information to explain what changed in the Peggy/Daniel dynamic between seasons that sent him out to LA like that, but when I assess Peggy's side of their interactions I'm not sure I detect any sign in her performance that she's conscious of some big change.  Eh, I guess we'll see.

In the debate around Violet, at this point I think her being an agent is looking less likely, so that leaves us with "tragic death" and the newly-raised prospect of her just ditching Daniel over his continued feelings toward Peggy.  Or, I suppose, their relationship continuing on ahead.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3

Why are shows so enamored of love triangles? (I guess it's a love square in this case). The only thing I didn't enjoy about this episode.

Peggy's Five was great and Rose was the highlight. Whitney's the first time Peggy's actually been overmatched. That's fair, I guess. She actually has powers and not just incredibly skillful like Dottie.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 2

Peggy, Jarvis, and Sousa are awesome.  That is said every episode, but Rose is awesome as well, as is the scientist.  Hell, everything about this episode was awesome.

I knew when it was revealed that Peggy was impaled, Violet would fix her and she'd see that Sousa is in love with Peggy.  He also lost the ring, so now he can give it to Peggy.

• Love 3

Oh no, Violet. I thought the first scene between Daniel and Violet was so sweet, I was like yeah she's either evil or she's gonna die. 

Way to go Jarvis! You may not be able to catch a flamingo but you sure can handle a souffle.

I think everyone needs a giant picture of Howard Stark in their bedroom.

• Love 5

I feel for Violet. She seems like a very nice person, and her Daniel seem to work well together as a couple, but now she knows that his heart really isn't in it, at least not 100%. 

Another really great episode. The music was especially jazzy this week, which I loved. Its adds so much period fun to the whole thing. Plus, more Rose! Rose is awesome, and needs to be in every episode now. 

Vinnie Van Lowe from Veronica Mars as the gangster was a trip.

I also love the fact that Howard apparently keeps large paintings of himself around his house. Oh Howard. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

Loved the episode!

So many good scenes!

Rose is the mvp for sure. And Samberly (? Is that his name?) is a nice addition to the team.

Lol! I love how they use Jack Thompson as an insult basically. Don't be a Jack Thompson, Sousa!

I was fine with Sousa worrying over Rose and Samberly and basically everyone. He doesn't want his people to get hurt.

The science squad slow-mo was fun.

Was NOT expecting Peggy to get injured like that. I screamed a little when she got impaled.

That mafia guy was bonkers.

Violet is precious! Despite shipping Peggysous, that proposal scene was adorable. She's so nice. While it's true Daniel was mainly running away from peggy (for whatever reason), I do think he cared for Violet. But then Peggy reentered his life suddenly.

Hopefully Violet doesn't end up dying. I'd rather she decide to part ways with Daniel and depart the show alive.

Daniel Sousa snores. Daniel Sousa also knows how to dismantle bombs, although he appears to be a little rusty.

Next week looks fun.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

I actually wonder why I didn't automatically predict that Violet would end up patching Peggy up when they first introduce her.  Characters who are nurses or in the medical field always end up being used for this; especially when they are the the other person in a love triangle featuring the two leads.  Felt bad for her, and am getting annoyed with Daniel now.  He knows he still has feelings for Peggy, but was still going through with the proposal.  Get your shit together, man.  I hope Violet doesn't end up being evil or destined to die tragically, but I still think them casting Sarah Bolger means she will be getting one big dramatic scene in the future.

Enjoyed the team-up between Peggy/Daniel/Jarvis with Rose and the doctor guy.  I liked that Rose really did handle herself well in the field and even the scientist finally got it together.  Also loved Daniel helping Jarvis defuse those bombs.  Poor Jarvis.

Ken Marino as a mobster was a hoot.  Whitney Frost continues to be awesome.  I love how she pretty much has Calvin cowering around her now.  Wynn Everett is amazing.

Peggy zapping Ray Wise's character over again was great.  As was her busting out a fake American accent again.

That painting of Howard Stark was perfectly tacky.  Not sure if Dominic Cooper should take it and destroy it, or has it framed on his own wall.

Wilkes is fading again.  That's not good!

Next week looks fun!  But it being two hours again might mean ABC is just trying to get it out of the way and be done with it.  Whatever, I won't fret about that yet and just be glad we'll be getting two hours of Agent Carter!

• Love 2

So in one day Peggy almost gets sucked by Whitney Zero Matter, then gets impaled and then we know she lives into her 90's. That is why Peggy Carter is awesome. Jarvis and his souffle bombs was awesome as well. He wanted to go on more adventures with her, doesn't get more exciting then trying not to blow up all of LA. 

I'm loving Peggy's new team. Rose was fun and badass. No wonder she likes Peggy. 

I knew Whitney would be impressed by Peggy, she'll be even more impressed to know she survived. 

• Love 2

"I've been impaled . . . like Cordelia . . . bugger."

Good caper episode. I'd like to see Jarvis cook a soufflé. Fun to see Peggy dummy up for Ray Wise, then proceed to neuralize the ever-loving shit out of him. And Whitney shows her husband who wears the pants in their relationship. Also, Rose gets to shine. Good for her.

• Love 2

Let's see...a love quadrangle, blond superpowered villain, a warehouse, and at the end someone gets impaled by rebar. Anyone else having Buffy flashbacks? :)

Here's hoping Peggy doesn't become as insufferable as Buffy was towards the end.

• Love 1

I have trouble seeing anything too much in common between the two. Of the two, Agents of SHIELD strikes me as a Buffy/Angel retread, complete with reborn fetch character. Peggy doesn't whine.

This ep was so much fun. Love that Rose gets to go out into the field and they ended up bringing the scientist guy with a hilarious slow mo walk. Jarvis looked so relieved to get tasked to boil water after having to work on the bomb. Ray Wise was great in the zapping scene. So weird to see Ken Marino as a psycho gangster when I'm used to seeing him as comic relief.

• Love 2

Next week looks fun!  But it being two hours again might mean ABC is just trying to get it out of the way and be done with it.  Whatever, I won't fret about that yet and just be glad we'll be getting two hours of Agent Carter!

The show started two weeks later than planned.  I assume they're having to play catch up to complete the season before AoS returns in March.

• Love 4

Here's hoping Peggy doesn't become as insufferable as Buffy was towards the end.

Actually, given that it was Cordelia who was originally rebarred, I'm just hoping that Peggy doesn't become magically impregnated by the dark matter. :-/

Rose was so full of win. And I have to hand it to Sousa – by the end of the mission, he was more or less telling Rose to get the "civilians" out of there. His attitude changed pretty fast when he saw what she could do.

• Love 2

Oh no, Violet. I thought the first scene between Daniel and Violet was so sweet, I was like yeah she's either evil or she's gonna die. 

Way to go Jarvis! You may not be able to catch a flamingo but you sure can handle a souffle.

I think everyone needs a giant picture of Howard Stark in their bedroom.

I was getting nervous about Violet when she sent Jarvis to boil water and seemed to shoe away Daniel to get old sheets.  I was expecting the reveal that she was an agent of the Counsel.

At first, I thought the picture of Howard was a picture of Hitler.

Vinnie Van Lowe from Veronica Mars as the gangster was a trip.
I love Vinnie/Ken Marino!  That was an unexpected surprise.  He plays a surprisingly good violent psycho.  Between Ray Wise (his expressions kill me) and Ken, this show is spoiling me with their guest stars.
  • Love 1

I dont know what i loved more: the way Rose handled Marino's goons, or the way she handled Samberly.

I also loved that in the recap they showed Ray Wise last season asking "what's your name sweetheart?" and Peggy responding "Agent", and then last night he remembered her as 'Agent'. That whole sequence with Peggy zapping Ray Wise repeatedly was just fun, moreso because of his reaction to lunch having been obviously fun bases on his dress, and the return of Peggy's 'books confuse me' accent.

I'm wondering what happened between Peggy & Daniel off screen between seasons. Before I thought it was nothing more than the "some other time" when he asked her to dinner at the end of last season. But Enver and now Hayley are playing at it being something much more substantial.

I hope Wynn Everett gets a lot of work after this. She has done a phenomenal job at giving Whitney layers.

• Love 1

The problem with Rose the gate guard being so awesome is that when every speaking woman can do something it lessens the awesomeness of Peggy, Dottie, May, Bobbi and even Natasha. There isn't just one per generation anymore every potential has become a slayer.

The problem with Rose the gate guard being so awesome is that when every speaking woman can do something it lessens the awesomeness of Peggy, Dottie, May, Bobbi and even Natasha. There isn't just one per generation anymore every potential has become a slayer.

I think it makes sense. If SHIELD is founded in part by a kickass woman, then part of the institutional heritage becomes similar strong women.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 4

I dont think all of those women are "awesome"; they are all capable,in very different ways.

And this wouldnt be an issue if every male was a "slayer". That said, I think its the same for the men in that only one or two are awesome, butt they are all capable.

• Love 4

So because women who are trained agents are capable of fighting, it means they aren't special? That's like saying that because snipers are skilled at what they do, none of them are special. I think that we as an audience are supposed to understand that these women have been trained in combat so they are not like the average girl on the street, but that just means they are in a class by themselves. It doesn't make any of them less special. It just means that they have skills that the average run of the mill person doesn't have, which makes sense since, again, they have received extensive training.

What about the men? Since all the men on AoS have certain skills, it makes them less special and less interesting as a group?

I enjoyed seeing Rose kick ass and get to do something besides answer the phone. I also liked having the scientist go into the field with them. As he said, he wanted to do more than mess around in a lab. And I'm sure that when Rose was recruited, she thought she would have a more active role than pretending to be a receptionist. They both went through the same training so it's about time they got to go on a mission!

And yay for Vinnie Van Lowe! Private eyes, they're watching you!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7

Sure, make me fall in love with Violet (sweet, smart, able to fix impaled women with what you can find in the average kitchen, kick-ass picking up a baseball bat while going inside to face the possible intruder and absolutely adorable during the botched proposal) and then break her heart by the end of the episode. Not a good look on Sousa. If you are madly in love with the unobtainable girl, don't go proposing to a totally awesome girl you consider a consolation prize. Ugh. Jerk face. Poor Violet. 

Ray Wise made the memory zapping scene. AFAIK he's done nothing wrong except properly secure and store nuclear weapons, so for Peggy to over-zap him with the memory thing knowing that there might be long term effects was a little alarming. But Ray kept the scene funny with his perfect timing. He seemed okay in the end. The use of untested tech on people was rampant this episode. Good thing those security guards who just looked like they were doing their jobs were mafia guys because that taser puck looked like it could stop hearts.

Rose was great and I actually liked the gadget guy. He proved to be useful, so I hope he becomes more liked by the team as he gains some confidence. 

Man, that county cold storage has huge ducts. Usually only one person can slither through them, but this one fit two side-by side crawling.

Why make such a big deal about there only being one key for the elevator such that Peggy has to brain zap the CEO and take off his belt to get it, but Whitney and Cal have no problem getting past the elevator?

So, what did Cal steal from the mafia guy? I'm pretty sure it was Whitney (you can't steal women, but mafia guy doesn't seem to be very enlightened). i began thinking that when from the start, but after he beat up the random lackey for staring at Whitney (which he was not) to convince Cal to do what he wanted, I think its pretty certain. 

• Love 2

To me, the point of this is that Every Woman is a slayer in some way or other, but she's always under the radar, overlooked, underestimated, never given the opportunity to show it. I found it to be a terrific feminist moment. I was as delighted with Rose punching the guards as I was with Peggy punching. And I love Peggy punching without bounds.

Why is there a Quaker State shield displayed in so many of the sets? I noticed it last year in the hangar, now in Howard's lab. It is significant beyond product placement?

Ray Wise looked like he was having fun getting zapped by Peggy.

• Love 3

Great episode. Peggy, Violet, Rose taking out Mafioso with flair, Jarvis being is ever awesome self! Great episode and lots of fun. The music was perfect too, giving it such a fun vibe - I want a sound-track or a song list!

The more kick-ass woman the better. Unfortunately, society expects it of the men in SSR (or anywhere). The Mafia guy had his protection thugs. How many times have we seen Peggy shutout of a job in the SSR, because she was a woman, or a woman shut out on ANY TV show. THIS was beautiful done AND the ladies were absolutely kick-ass and equals to the men. That's the way it should be.

Peggy with her fake *dumb* girl accent was the best - because you KNOW that's what woman had to do - dumb herself down - to make their male bosses happy, keep their job. Still happens today.

Whitney is an awesome villain, and her hubby is terrified of her. This emergency council meeting, are the council going to be the ones who take her out once and for all - or find a way to use the situation to their OWN advantage.

I was shocked they had Peggy impaled. It's usually the baddies that get dropped and impaled as proper justice, so seeing our hero rebarred surprised the hell out of me. It really did. You know she would be okay, but wow, that's harsh. Tough woman, Peg.

Feel bad for Violet, she was such a sweet person, but just wonderful and totally commanding when faced with a medical emergency - she's a nurse, has to be. Can SHE join the SSR? Oh Sousa, what did you do?

Great episode!

• Love 5

Needless to say, I thought it was a great episode. It was really nice to see Rose get her chance in the field and do a great job, and I'm with HalcyonDays, the rebar impalement surprised me, too. As shocking and horrible as it was, I was glad that they actually had her wind up injured from it -- if she'd have managed to fall just so, in between all the rebar, without getting poked through, I'd have balked at the non-injury. 

The picture in the recap reminded me to send a special shout-out to Violet's pin-curl game being spot on -- my grandma still pin-curls her hair every night before bed and that shit is hard to do well (unless you've been doing it for eleventy years). Perfect for the time period.

• Love 4
He didn't do anything.  He asked her to marry him, and I'm quite certain he was sincere.

He asked somebody to marry him when he is still completely in love with somebody else. And that somebody else is somebody he works with every day. Maybe if he'd been honest and upfront with his future wife, she could have decided if she could be happy in that situation, but he did not.

I don't know why show-runners like triangles so much. They tend to crucify a lot of characters.

That rebar Peggy fell on was total fridge logic. What on earth could they be constructing in the middle of a highly secure finished building?  Some kind of plinth? Does something so short even need rebar? If it was just sitting there waiting for another project, the rebar should have been lying in bundles on the floor.

Edited by kili
  • Love 3
He asked somebody to marry him when he is still completely in love with somebody else. And that somebody else is somebody he works with every day. Maybe if he'd been honest and upfront with his future wife, she could have decided if she could be happy in that situation, but he did not.

Another thing I really like was that Violet was not jealous of Peggy at all. She immediately sprung into action, treating the wound, and checking up on her later, always in concern and with complete professionalism. When she realized that Sousa still had feelings, Violet didn't pout, scream, cry, have a tantrum, or stomp away in a fit. She never blamed Peggy, instead she realized it, quickly accepted it, and let down Sousa while maintaining her dignity. Most other shows would have the spurned woman bawling and crying. Loved that. Seriously - Violet for new SSR recruit.

• Love 11

Not only did Violet not act petty or jealous but a minute before she confronted her fiancé, she tried to get Peggy to stay at her house instead of letting Jarvis take her back to Howard's place. I assumed that was so Violet could make sure Peggy was okay (not so she could, say, smother her with a pillow while she slept).

• Love 8

I didn't care for this episode at all.  it seemed like they went way overboard with the comedy elements because they had such a thin plot to work with this week and they needed to stretch it out a little.  

Everyone creeping around those identical-looking hallways made "Agent carter" look like the cheapest show on network television.

I think my problem with the show this year is that, aside from having a female lead, this show could have fit right in with any action-adventure show on TV - in 1975.  There's nothing really exciting or new to any of the goings on.  I started running the plot of this season through my head, and I realized that its remarkably similar to any season of "24", with just a few extra sci-fi elements thrown into the mix.  The problem is that "24" was always full of edge-of-your-seat suspense and lots of fast action and beat-the-clock deadlines.  "Agent Carter" just kind of....rambles on from scene to scene.  

"What Would You Do" actually started last night before I realized that "Agent Carter" was over for the evening.

Rose rocks.

The slo mo power walk with Peggy's crew was awesome and hilarious.

Couldn't stop laughing during the scene with Ray Wise.

Definite Cordelia flashbacks with Peggy and the rebar.

So Whitney Frost is not only Hedy Lamarr but also Lana Turner with her mob boyfriend.

Poor Violet.

Edited by VCRTracking

Souza asked Violet to marry him when he had done everything in his power to make sure he was never going to see Peggy again, and he had reason to believe that she had moved on, so I don't think he's behaved dishonorably. If no-one who lost someone they loved ever married, there would be a lot more people who are single for life. Peggy, for instance.

I don't think that Violet would have let Souza down gently if she were part of the Council. Once they break up she has no excuse to see any of them again. That's not a sensible double agent move.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5
Souza asked Violet to marry him when he had done everything in his power to make sure he was never going to see Peggy again, and he had reason to believe that she had moved on, so I don't think he's behaved dishonorably.

Souza asked Violet to marry during this episode. She didn't know he was going to do it until he admitted that he'd lost the ring in the couch (how cute was she when she found the quarter?). At that point, he was very much working with Peggy on a behind the scenes ops. He appears to spend much of his days working with her.

What was his rush to propose? He could have at least waited until Peggy went back to New York so he isn't spending every day pining over his subordinate and then going home to his fiancé. He also lied to Violet about why he came to LA.  And then he can't even bother to try to hide his love for Peggy inside Violet's house while Violet is trying to save Peggy's life.

Sousa may have been trying to force himself into moving on, but Violet became collateral damage in the process. That's not honorable. He needs to be honest with his own feelings and deal with them before dragging others into the blast zone.

Violet is awesome.

• Love 1

Maybe it's not honorable but it is not dishonorable either. Sousa had bad timing but he had been dating Violet since before Peggy showed up. Yes he could have waited and yes he could have told her the whole truth but I am not exactly sure why he is expected to be. Pining over someone from a distance is not dishonorable if you don't do anything about it and so far Sousa hasn't. He has made an effort to move on. I am not sure how honest he is expected to be with Violet especially about someone who broke his heart.

• Love 3

I don't know why show-runners like triangles so much. They tend to crucify a lot of characters.

I'm pleased the inevitable Violet/ Sousa break-up didn't get drawn out, nor was it unnecessarily dramatic, but yeah, less triangles, please. And I really don't understand what the point of Wilkes is, because in the Peggy/ Wilkes/ Sousa triangle, both males feel like essentially the same person: nice looking, smart, nice guys who appreciate Peggy and are overlooked/ underestimated by their own peers. Both are rather bland characters (though I admit Sousa has grown on me a lot more this season, and I love Enver, so I'm fine with a Peggy/ Sousa relationship if that's where they end up going). If you're going to have a triangle, why not make the options a little more diverse?

Other than that, I thought this episode was super, and Rose and Jarvis are both made of awesome.

I think my problem with the show this year is that, aside from having a female lead, this show could have fit right in with any action-adventure show on TV - in 1975.  There's nothing really exciting or new to any of the goings on.  I started running the plot of this season through my head, and I realized that its remarkably similar to any season of "24", with just a few extra sci-fi elements thrown into the mix.  The problem is that "24" was always full of edge-of-your-seat suspense and lots of fast action and beat-the-clock deadlines.  "Agent Carter" just kind of....rambles on from scene to scene.

For me, I think the characters keep it interesting and engaging. The plots might not be stellar, but I don't see them as coming from 1975, either, and the characters make this a nice blend of fun and dramatic. 

• Love 1

Souza asked Violet to marry him when he had done everything in his power to make sure he was never going to see Peggy again, and he had reason to believe that she had moved on, so I don't think he's behaved dishonorably. If no-one who lost someone they loved ever married, there would be a lot more people who are single for life. Peggy, for instance.

Thank you!

What was his rush to propose?

What rush?  He planned to propose before Peggy got there, and had arranged for the ring.  Why should Peggy's temporary posting to LA force him to change his schedule?

• Love 2
What rush?  He planned to propose before Peggy got there, and had arranged for the ring.  Why should Peggy's temporary posting to LA force him to change his schedule?

Because he loves Peggy more than Violet and spends all day and most of the night mooning after Peggy?

I think Walter said it best in "Sleepless in Seattle" : Look, Annie... I love you. But let's leave that out of this. I don't want to be someone that you're settling for. I don't want to be someone that anyone settles for. Marriage is hard enough without bringing such low expectations into it, isn't it?

If one is madly in love with somebody they spend a lot of time with, I don't think they should be proposing to anybody else. One needs to get closure which Souza clearly does not have (as evident by his longing, jealous looks when Peggy and Wilkes were flirting. Or by his loving looks to Peggy in Violet's house such that he doesn't even hear Violet asking him to get supplies to treat Peggy).

Souza may not be physically cheating, but he's definitely emotionally cheating. Peggy needed to reach some kind of closure with Cap before dating again. Souza owes it to his future wife do to the same.

This obviously bothers Violet, so either he doesn't know her very well or he kept it a secret because he does know her well enough. Either reason is sufficient to put the breaks on the marriage until these issues are worked out. IMO.

• Love 4