Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Films

ulkis
  • Start Topic

I remember being surprised and delightedly so because the whole set up of 'you can't marry someone you just met' being called out repeatedly by both Elsa AND Kristoff (also... didn't Olaf say something about that, too?) actually followed through.

Plus, it was also stated that Hans was the youngest of 13 brothers and the way he inserted himself, first with Anna then with Arendelle after Anna went in search of Elsa... the betrayal/attempted coup wasn't completely out of left field. I was surprised because I didn't think they'd go there, not because it was so far out of the realm of possibility as to be unbelievable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Oh, that reminds me - what are everyone's thoughts on the Frozen shorts?  The one that was shown before the live action Cinderella and the one shown (I think) before Coco or the live action Beauty and the Beast.

I like them. Frozen Fever is harmless fun and Olaf's Frozen Adventure is the source of some hilarity in my house.

First off, my mother's side of the family is Danish and Norwegian and the majority of our Christmas traditions have been passed down from the farms in South Dakota where my grand-parents grew up to us. Are they authentic? Who the hell knows at this point but there's enough there and they're good traditions in that they aren't designed for anything but spending time together and having fun in a gentle, cozy kind of way.

So a couple of years ago when ads and such started gearing up for the holidays I saw something talking about Yule Goats. Or Jul Goats. They symbolize the goats that pull Thor's chariot and they're a popular tradition among Scandinavian countries come Christmas time. Well, I don't remember seeing much in the way of goat decor growing up when we'd visit Gramma and Grampa so I asked my mom about it. Her response 'It's probably Swedish.' (As you may or may not know, the Scandinavian countries have a lovely time ribbing each other and having what is, at this point, a friendly rivalry between them.) So I looked it up and it didn't SEEM to be specifically Swedish and, hey Mom, next time you stop at Solvang on your way back up from Disneyland go to the Christmas store and see if there's any goat ornaments or whatever.

Then they took Olaf's Frozen Adventure out of the theaters to put on ABC during the holidays and each time we recorded it the first 5-10 minutes were cut off due to coverage of fires. (This is California and 2017 was a pretty nasty year... actually they're all nasty anymore.) But when it would play I'd see these goat decorations everywhere in the short. Anna's dress. Banners in the street. The table cloth in the palace. Hanging next to doorways, on the wall, straw goats on shelves. And I kept pointing and saying 'Goat!' when I saw them. My sister went Boondock Saints on me 'You and your fookin' GOATS!' But it became a thing... and we also turned Goat Spotting in Olaf's Frozen Adventure into a drinking game.

Don't drink for every single goat you see. It will kill you.

• Love 6

Boy SNL sure called it.

Seriously though, I don't need this. I live in Michigan, where deer are being murdered by shotgun or by car on a regular basis. People at my work brag about their hunting. I get nauseous every time a enter a place with taxidermy. I'm always happy to see a LIVING deer, but I seem to be one of the few that doesn't buy into the whole "deer are overpopulated" crap. Even if it's true, that doesn't mean I have to like them being killed. People here actually use that excuse with Bambi's mom.

Plus, you know, Bambi was just fine as a regular cartoon!

• Love 4

I honestly don't have that much of a problem with the remakes, and I actually vastly prefer them to the endless cheap sequels that came out in the 90s and early 00s, but what's going to happen when they run out of stuff?

Also, give me The Rescuers with Marion Cotillard as Miss Bianca.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, starri said:

I honestly don't have that much of a problem with the remakes, and I actually vastly prefer them to the endless cheap sequels that came out in the 90s and early 00s, but what's going to happen when they run out of stuff?

I have contemplated the same question some time ago.

I had to realize that any franchise would eventually run out and come to an end, but for Disney this is going take decades because there are still so many possible sequels, spin-offs, remakes and reboots left from the Disney + Fox franchises to milk. By the time they run of things from their old material, newer movies will be decades old and they'll remake those, it's a never-ending cycle.

disney_milking_the_cash_cow_dry_by_brand

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, starri said:

Ordinarily I agree with you because I don't have a huge problem with most of the remakes either, but for them to remake the all animal cartoons with realistic CGI is just ridiculous.

Marion Cotillard would make a pretty good Miss Bianca...

• Love 4

I'm fine with stuff like Maleficent, Mulan, and Cruella where they're different from the original. Putting a new spin on an old story by focusing on a different character or going back to the original source material is neat. Live-action versions of stuff like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin I'm iffier on; I don't think they're necessary and they're clearly a cash grab, but I don't bemoan their existence. "Live-action" versions of the all-animal movies, though? Garbage. Either the animals look too cartoony (Lady and the Tramp) and it takes you out of the story, or they look too realistic (The Lion King) and they can't emote, diluting the emotional moments. I hate that they even exist.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, starri said:

I don't want a remake; but I totally want another sequel. I think the concept of the Rescuers still has life.

A remake of Bambi seems as unnecessary as the Lion King remake, since it will be essentially another animated film.

• Love 6
(edited)

I love A Goofy Movie. But HT was too hard on Goofy's songs, "Nobody Else But You" was so sweet. Definitely sums up how most of us feel about our parents.

I find it hilarious how people are throwing tantrums over Disney remodeling Splash Mountain with Princess and the Frog characters instead of the controversial Song of the South ones. Like seriously has anyone ever seen that movie?! I haven't and don't intend to: I only know the "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da" from the Disney sing along VHS tapes I used to have as a kid, and TBH I do have a nostalgia for that song because it's such an earworm. But all the cartoon characters displayed on the Splash Mountain ride? Mean nothing to me. I went on Splash Mountain for the log flume ride, and if they want to update it with the Princess and the Frog characters and music, it's perfectly fine with me. As long as it has the water drop, who cares?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7

I saw "Song of the South" multiple times on a re-release in theaters in the early 70s when I was a little kid.  I loved the blending of animation and live action, and I loved the animated parts.  I only have vague recollections of the live action parts.  Seems like there were other songs, but I only remember "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah". 

I last went to DisneyWorld in, oh, maybe 2003, and was really surprised at the theme of Splash Mountain.  It's way past time for an update.

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I find it hilarious how people are throwing tantrums over Disney remodeling Splash Mountain with Princess and the Frog characters instead of the controversial Song of the South ones. Like seriously has anyone ever seen that movie?! I haven't and don't intend to: I only know the "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da" from the Disney sing along VHS tapes I used to have as a kid, and TBH I do have a nostalgia for that song because it's such an earworm. But all the cartoon characters displayed on the Splash Mountain ride? Mean nothing to me. I went on Splash Mountain for the log flume ride, and if they want to update it with the Princess and the Frog characters and music, it's perfectly fine with me. As long as it has the water drop, who cares?

Anytime Disney changes any rides people throw tantrums. These are the same dumbasses who left flowers at Pirates when Disney decided to add movie characters. 

I’ve seen SotS or at least large parts of it. Disney re-released it in 1986 for the 40th anniversary and to promote Splash Mountain. Even has a kid with no clue about the controversial aspects I wasn’t particularly impressed. It was cute but a little boring. As an adult I realize it’s an appalling story and I’m surprised Disney thought they could get away with sanitizing it for the ride. 

Song of the South contains the trickster tales from various African folklores. Rabbits are common trickster characters and Brer Rabbit is a trickster character that was brought over from parts of Africa because of the slave trade and incorporated into American folklore. A white man created the character of Uncle Remus and published a series of books that were tales that he heard from persons of color after the Civil War and through the Reconstruction Era. So, already, you're dealing with a white man profiting off of culture that is not his. That he also wrote the dialect as his interpretation of --gods, I hate even writing it-- Deep South Negro furthers the problems.

Obviously these stories are shaped by the time and place that Harris lived but the whole point of progress is to acknowledge that even if he was writing these stories to showcase the struggle of the Deep South he was very specifically highlighting the 'struggle' of the plantations. You know... where slaves worked and had no rights! And even when they were working on this film there were problems. The man who wrote the screenplay was told by the Hays Office that some of his terminology had to be removed. That was in 1944! Disney hired another guy to work with the screenwriter to help combat the 'Uncle Tomism' that the first guy was bent towards being from the South.

The entire history of this film is fucked up. It really is. The stories themselves are wrapped up in some seriously messed up cultural morass. Folklore is a hobby of mine, I am by no means an expert, but I know what the characters are in that tradition... the trickster and the antagonists trying to trap him. The Laughing Place is a quintessential trickster story and that's fine but it's still wrapped up in a fucking NIGHTMARE of cultural grievances and, ultimately, these are stories that slaves brought over that wound up benefiting white men. Then you have the situation where James Baskett, who played Uncle Remus in the movie, was voted an honorary Oscar which made him the first African American man to be awarded the Oscar and it's just like... the whole thing is a mess. It's just a mess. 

Are there good things about it? Sure. But there are so many problems that outweigh them it's just... ugh. Ugh. I'm so glad they're changing Splash Mountain. I really am. The retheming will work perfectly in Disneyland as it's right next to the Haunted Mansion which is part of New Orleans Square. Magic Kingdom isn't as obvious as far as land theming goes but they'll figure it out. I'm glad Tiana gets more room to shine.

But Disney really should come up with a way to deal with the repercussions of Song of the South. Just burying it isn't enough at this point.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I'm glad they are changing the theme. Never cared for the whole Song of the South theme but loved Splash Mountain's mechanics/ride. I loved Princess and the Frog and will be happy to see Tiana and friends next time I get to go to Disney. 

Oddly the bride's for sale scene in Pirate's never bothered me (even though I am a woman who would never want to be purchased like prize cattle) and I wasn't happy when they changed that bit. I didn't care one way or the other about adding the characters from the movie though. 

• Love 3
On 6/26/2020 at 9:09 AM, Browncoat said:

I last went to DisneyWorld in, oh, maybe 2003, and was really surprised at the theme of Splash Mountain.  It's way past time for an update.

All I knew of SotS was "Zippity Do Da" from some Disney record and maybe a coloring book from the 40th anniversary re-release.  I went to Disney World for the first time in 2014 and was surprised that they hadn't re-themed it.  I'm surprised it took this long since there's no marketing potential for the ride.  At least Princess and the Frog has toy lines and various princess stuff that kids can identify.  That said, I don't really think of New Orleans as having waterfalls but it looks like it'll be a minor reskin for the ride so whatever.  I guess they might start doing the Tiana meet and greet there instead.  Maybe we'll get a nice cajun food place nearby.

• Love 2
(edited)

I got Disney+ for Hamilton, and have enjoyed (sometimes "enjoyed") watching the classic animated films.  Two things I've learned after several viewings:

• Many/most of the classic movies had little to no plot compared to movies from the Renaissance era.
  • Disney loved employing young American kids to portray young British children.  When I was growing up, I thought British kids had American accents and only acquired British accents when they grew up!
Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I've been binging on Disney+ shows. Mostly I've watched the Pixar shorts and Mickey versions of The Three Musketeers and The Prince and the Pauper. Mickey, Donald, and Goofy are still squad goals.

Yesterday I watched Homeward Bound, and I still love it to this day. This was back when "talking animal live action" movies weren't fake and overdone. I love Sally Field as the delightfully bitchy Sassy. I used to imagine every cat I ever saw with her voice saying something nasty. "'Heeeere kitty Kitty Kitty...' Not on your life, tubby!" LMAO.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yesterday I watched Homeward Bound, and I still love it to this day. This was back when "talking animal live action" movies weren't fake and overdone. I love Sally Field as the delightfully bitchy Sassy. I used to imagine every cat I ever saw with her voice saying something nasty. "'Heeeere kitty Kitty Kitty...' Not on your life, tubby!" LMAO.

I love Homeward Bound.  I saw it on TV when I was home for a college break.  My mom said "are you crying?"  Yes, yes, I was.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I love Homeward Bound.  I saw it on TV when I was home for a college break.  My mom said "are you crying?"  Yes, yes, I was.

Homeward Bound is so good, I still get super emotional thinking about when Shadow made it home and reunited with Peter when it seemed like he died. It had funny and cute moments, but it was a lot more exciting and sincere and a lot less cheesy than many of the talking animal movies that followed it. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Watched Emperor's New Groove on Disney+ and it's still one of the funniest ones ever. Probably David Spade's best movie since Tommy Boy. And Kronk is awesome: dumb as a stick, but amiable, a good cook, and (it must be said) scalding hot to boot.

And yes, I used to watch the spinoff series Emperor's New School don't you judge me! Though I am still bitter that that's on Disney+ and not the Aladdin series...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Watched Emperor's New Groove on Disney+ and it's still one of the funniest ones ever. Probably David Spade's best movie since Tommy Boy. And Kronk is awesome: dumb as a stick, but amiable, a good cook, and (it must be said) scalding hot to boot.

It's highly underrated. It's worth a watch if your a fan of any of the voice cast; and I like them all, so it's great!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And yes, I used to watch the spinoff series Emperor's New School don't you judge me! Though I am still bitter that that's on Disney+ and not the Aladdin series...

It really is.

• Love 2
On 7/29/2020 at 7:25 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I mean, for crying out loud, it starts off with Tom Jones singing. Hello!! It's tremendous. It's FUN.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

And Eartha-Mother-Flippin'-Kitt (rest her fabulous soul) as Yzma, quite possibly the funniest Disney villain ever!

"It is called a cruel irony, like my dependence on you."

She really is. I love her reaction to being turned into a cat. "Is this my voice?" Then rolls with it. I love her wondering how Kuzco turned out so bad since she practically raised him. Also her cruelest insult to Kronk? She never liked his spinach puffs! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I mean, for crying out loud, it starts off with Tom Jones singing. Hello!! It's tremendous. It's FUN.

And fairly unique when it comes to Disney's animated films (if I'm not mistaken); it's essentially a screwball comedy. Most have a good amount of comedy, but not quite like this.

1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

And Eartha-Mother-Flippin'-Kitt (rest her fabulous soul) as Yzma, quite possibly the funniest Disney villain ever!

"It is called a cruel irony, like my dependence on you."

"Why do we even have that lever?!"

• Love 7

I mean, I'm a Disney-phile so DIsney+ was a given for me. (Plus, I can afford it without concern which I know is a privilege most don't have. I also got a discount as a DVC member which, again, privilege.) All that being said, aside from the various Disney animated movies and the shorts which are great... I am loving the ability to watch the old live action movies. I mean, I have a ridiculous love for the Kurt Russel trilogy of 'The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes' 'Now You See Him, Now You Don't' and 'The Strongest Man in the World.' or some of the ones I haven't seen like Greyfriars Bobby or Emil and the Detectives. Or, somehow, Justin Morgan Had a Horse which is bizarre because I read that book (I was horse crazy) and Mom used to rent Disney movies for us all. the. time. and I managed to not see that one?

How did I see 'North Avenue Irregulars' and not see 'Justin Morgan?' Inconceivable!!

(Oh yeah, Princess Bride is there too.)

There's quite a library.

• Love 6

I hate The Hunchback of Notre Dame with a passion. I think the movie is ableist which is not a term I like to use but it fits. Frollo almost drowns Quasimodo as a baby and emotionally abuses him throughout his life. Then he gains some self confidence and decides he wants to be free. He befriends Esmerelda but he watches her fall for Phoebus the handsome prince. Why couldn't he get the girl? He's the hero of the film not Phoebus. Characters with disabilities are never allowed to be romantic leads so it would have been nice to see here.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

He befriends Esmerelda but he watches her fall for Phoebus the handsome prince. Why couldn't he get the girl? He's the hero of the film not Phoebus. Characters with disabilities are never allowed to be romantic leads so it would have been nice to see here.

There was outrage with Hunchback's original release from some Victor Hugo purists that it was sacrilegious that Disney gave Hunchback a happy ending by having Quasimodo and Esmerelda live. I could only imagine how they would have felt if not only did Quasimodo survive but also got the girl.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I hate The Hunchback of Notre Dame with a passion. I think the movie is ableist which is not a term I like to use but it fits. Frollo almost drowns Quasimodo as a baby and emotionally abuses him throughout his life. Then he gains some self confidence and decides he wants to be free. He befriends Esmerelda but he watches her fall for Phoebus the handsome prince. Why couldn't he get the girl? He's the hero of the film not Phoebus. Characters with disabilities are never allowed to be romantic leads so it would have been nice to see here.

Well, he got a girlfriend in the crappy video sequel.

JMO, but Quasimodo didn't need to end up with Esmeralda. His story was about breaking free of Frollo and finding acceptance not only from others and not himself. And it's notable that even though he doesn't get the girl, he avoids falling into the bitter Nice Guy trope and helps Esmeralda because he loves her and it's the right thing to do. He had a very good character arc, and while Hugo purists may have bitched about the changes, you can't deny that more inspirational than how the novel version of Quasimodo got crapped on by everyone -- even Esmealda -- from beginning to end.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, he got a girlfriend in the crappy video sequel.

JMO, but Quasimodo didn't need to end up with Esmeralda. His story was about breaking free of Frollo and finding acceptance not only from others and not himself. And it's notable that even though he doesn't get the girl, he avoids falling into the bitter Nice Guy trope and helps Esmeralda because he loves her and it's the right thing to do. He had a very good character arc, and while Hugo purists may have bitched about the changes, you can't deny that more inspirational than how the novel version of Quasimodo got crapped on by everyone -- even Esmealda -- from beginning to end.

None of the Disney couples need to end up together but they do. Aladdin and Jasmine for example could just remain friends but they become a couple. Quasimodo did start out wanting to escape Frollo and his abuse but after meeting Esmerelda it was ok for him to fall in love. Disney has created hundreds of animated and live action movies and none of them have featured a disabled person as a romantic lead.

• Love 4

The live action musical of Hunchback is even, imho, better than the animated film.  There are also versions with deaf actors playing Quasimodo and one of the gargoyles doing his singing voice.  It's very emotional.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I'm excited because Howard, the documentary about the true mastermind behind the Disney Renaissance, Howard Ashman, is on Disney+ today. Anyone else watching it?

Watched it this morning! As a Disney fan it was awesome to see the recording session footage of The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

To think, if Howard's Smile Broadway show hadn't flopped, he never would have gone to Disney and Jodi Benson never would have gotten the part of Ariel! The universe does have a way of working things out...

But oh man, the stuff about Howard was so sad, especially how he kept his AIDS diagnosis secret until close to the end. I totally get that he was afraid of being judged. Note that the documentary didn't really go into how he got it, which is fine because it's honestly none of our damn business.

I am glad that all his songs that got cut from Aladdin were worked back into the Broadway show.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2