Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Films

ulkis
  • Start Topic

Did they give any more details on Lightyear? What would it be about? Buzz Lightyear the toy, or the character that the toy is based on? Or something new?  Because I remember the cartoon series they did that was meant to be the show that the Buzz toys were made for.

3 minutes ago, Trini said:

Did they give any more details on Lightyear? What would it be about? Buzz Lightyear the toy, or the character that the toy is based on? Or something new?  Because I remember the cartoon series they did that was meant to be the show that the Buzz toys were made for.

It’s about the character the toy is based on before he became space ranger. 

Chris Evans is so psyched to play Real Space Ranger Buzz and I’m here for it! He is such a doll.

I wonder if the movie will follow the canon of the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command TV series? Anyone remember that? I do. If it’s a new story I’m fine, just put the show on Disney+ already! They just have the intro direct to video movie.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s about the character the toy is based on before he became space ranger. 

What does that even mean? Is Space Ranger a real career in the world of Toy Story? Like when Andy finishes college can he apply to be a Space Ranger?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
7 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Is Space Ranger a real career in the world of Toy Story? Like when Andy finishes college can he apply to be a Space Ranger?

(About to date myself here) When I was a kid I had a Steve Austin dollaction figure. It was based on the TV show The Six Million Dollar Man. The Lightyear movie is what the Buzz Lightyear toy is based on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

(About to date myself here) When I was a kid I had a Steve Austin dollaction figure. It was based on the TV show The Six Million Dollar Man. The Lightyear movie is what the Buzz Lightyear toy is based on.

But the Six Million Dollar Man wasn't a real person (Steve Austin isn't even Stone Cold Steve Austin's real name). In Chris Evans's tweet above he says the movie is based on the human the toy is based on, which makes it sound like Buzz is a real person.

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

What does that even mean? Is Space Ranger a real career in the world of Toy Story? Like when Andy finishes college can he apply to be a Space Ranger?

Sure. Why not? It’s a sci-fi adventure film set in a world where toys are alive. Are space rangers that much a a stretch? The announcement makes it sound like this is the biopic based on the real Buzz Lightyear.

The only real world comparison I can think of is Evel Knievel. 

Edited by Guest

No specific plot details, but Lin-Manuel Miranda talks a bit about Encanto in this article: https://io9.gizmodo.com/lin-manuel-miranda-tells-us-what-sets-encanto-apart-fro-1845936766

Miranda said the team’s goal was to create a family-friendly story that’s actually about a family, and he said that’s been a blast to write. “One of the things that we really kind of all talked about—all the creators, Charise and Byron and Jared and I—we were like, ‘We really want to tell a family, an intergenerational family story with all the complexity that brings,’” Miranda said. “So often when you get into story mode, it turns into the hero and the quest—and you lose characters, then you lose complexity because everything becomes the quest. And I think what’s been thrilling about this is, since that’s been our mission statement, it’s been really fun to sort of write, you know, musical family dynamics in a really fun and complicated way. I’m really excited for the world to finally see it.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah...  I mean, this is just my personal take, but of all the classic Disney villains, Cruella is easily the most horrifying.  Say what you will about your Evil Queens or Wicked Stepmothers- did any of them plan to kill and skin dozens of puppies just to make a coat?  No, they did not.

Moreover, Cruella isn’t a compelling character because we understand or, god help us, empathize with her backstory.  It’s pretty much the opposite - she’s interesting because she’s committed to this plan that no empathetic person would even consider.  I’m worried that any attempt this film might make to rationalize her behavior is only going to water down her efficacy as a villain.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I swear to God if they try to justify her trying to murder puppies...

No, it'll be something stupid like Daddy was distant and Mummy was mean and her only friend was a puppy that got taken away from her and as an adult she's trying to process her childhood by swathing herself in dog fur. No way they won't bring class issues and psychological trauma into this SOMEHOW.

I’m worried that any attempt this film might make to rationalize her behavior is only going to water down her efficacy as a villain.

Like how Maleficent, Mistress of All Evil, She Who Commanded the Forces of Hell, simultaneously the most petty AND most badass bitch in all of Disney's rogue's gallery, was actually symbolically date-raped by King Stefan? Oof. Still haven't forgiven Disney for that one. 

I'm so sick to death of villain sob-stories. Sometimes people are just assholes, and that's okay.

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Moreover, Cruella isn’t a compelling character because we understand or, god help us, empathize with her backstory.  It’s pretty much the opposite - she’s interesting because she’s committed to this plan that no empathetic person would even consider.  I’m worried that any attempt this film might make to rationalize her behavior is only going to water down her efficacy as a villain.

9 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

I'm so sick to death of villain sob-stories. Sometimes people are just assholes, and that's okay.

MY PEOPLE!!!!

I don't care why people do the shitty things they do. I don't care about their daddy issues, mommy issues, how they always got picked last for kickball, whatever. For me, this not only goes for people in real life, but people in fiction.

• Love 5
On 1/27/2021 at 5:17 PM, Trini said:

The same author also has an article about the BTS history of the Rescuers Down Under: ''The Rescuers Down Under': The Untold Story of How the Sequel Changed Disney Forever'  -- Talks at length about how the technical innovations affected later Disney animated films.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:37 AM, starri said:

If ever there was a Disney movie that's overlooked and REALLY shouldn't be, it's that one.

Yes! I love The Rescuers Down Under, it just had the misfortune of opening the same weekend as Home Alone, and Beauty & the Beast was so good it was over shadowed. 

Im watching Up and getting in my feelings. I haven’t sent it, in it’s entirety since the theaters. 

On 2/17/2021 at 5:02 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Can we all just agree that Glenn Close perfectly played Cruella as fabulously and unabashedly evil? Whatever happens with this movie, it’s never gonna top that.

Yes I agree. 

• Love 5
On 2/16/2021 at 7:30 PM, Trini said:

I'll say it again; if there's a villain backstory I want to see, it's Ursula the Sea Witch.

I agree with you. To tell Ursula's backstory, you'd also have to delve into Triton's, which I am totally okay with. That's a sibling dynamic I would like to see explored in greater detail. 

One of my friends were discussing this topic recently. He thought Jafar had an interesting and unexplored backstory and I agreed with him. How cool would it be to see Jafar learning/developing his powers? Also, there's a strong story in Jafar trying to figure out how to find and access the Cave of Wonders in order to gain possession of the Lamp.  

7 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I love Hocus Pocus. I watch it every year in October. Also, for superfans of the movie with Disney+ I highly reccomend the Trivia and Treats track. It's like a director commentary with picture in picture behind the scenes interviews. 

While the Sanderson Sisters get all of the attention and most of the merch, I think the Dennison siblings are the heart and soul, the emotional core of the original movie. I hope the writers of the new movie didn't forget about the important role Max and Dani play.

The new movie needs to have siblings that go an emotional journey as they fight the Sanderson Sisters. I'm okay if the new siblings are not Dennisons. They can be new original characters with no direct connection to the Dennisons, but there needs to be some equivalent of the Dennisons in this movie.  

• Love 6

Matt Zoller Seitz basically sums up everything I hate about villain origin stories in his review for Cruella:

More vexing is the film’s reluctance to own the fact that—as one of many obvious song cues assure us—it has Sympathy for the Devil. She's not really the devil—not even remotely, as the script keeps telling us—but she is an awful person in many ways, and we are expected to adore her because the Baroness is so much worse.

Bingo. These origin stories (especially the Disney ones) fail by trying to have it both ways: we're supposed to acknowledge that these people are bad, but, but... awwwww, they had a bad childhood, and so n' so is an even bigger meanie pants! And if someone is worse than you, then you're not so bad after all! Except when, y'know, you are, but...

Oh, I want Cruella to tank in the worst way, but I have a feeling it won't.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Matt Zoller Seitz basically sums up everything I hate about villain origin stories in his review for Cruella:

Bingo. These origin stories (especially the Disney ones) fail by trying to have it both ways: we're supposed to acknowledge that these people are bad, but, but... awwwww, they had a bad childhood, and so n' so is an even bigger meanie pants! And if someone is worse than you, then you're not so bad after all! Except when, y'know, you are, but...

Oh, I want Cruella to tank in the worst way, but I have a feeling it won't.

She wanted to skin puppies! PUPPIES! For FASHION!

When the hell did we stop caring about animals?!  Did I miss something?!?!

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

She wanted to skin puppies! PUPPIES! For FASHION!

When the hell did we stop caring about animals?!  Did I miss something?!?!

Not only that, among the other puppies Cruella snatched, she stole the puppies of the dog of one of her employees! Yes, what Cruella's doing is absolutely horrific regardless of where the puppies came from, but the fact that she made it personal only adds an uglier coat of paint to this already sickening crime!

My hatred of the live-action Disney remakes is not a secret, but you know what I really appreciated about the 1996 101 Dalmatians? Glenn Close played Cruella as a bigger-than-life, over the top magnificent bitch... while never letting us forget that Cruella is a villain! We enjoy her wickedness, she's a blast to watch, but at the same time we root against her and we're glad she's defeated in the end! God, who knew that movie would now seem like a masterpiece to me?

The less said about the sequel, the better...

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Not only that, among the other puppies Cruella snatched, she stole the puppies of the dog of one of her employees! Yes, what Cruella's doing is absolutely horrific regardless of where the puppies came from, but the fact that she made it personal only adds an uglier coat of paint to this already sickening crime!

My hatred of the live-action Disney remakes is not a secret, but you know what I really appreciated about the 1996 101 Dalmatians? Glenn Close played Cruella as a bigger-than-life, over the top magnificent bitch... while never letting us forget that Cruella is a villain! We enjoy her wickedness, she's a blast to watch, but at the same time we root against her and we're glad she's defeated in the end! God, who knew that movie would now seem like a masterpiece to me?

The less said about the sequel, the better...

Yes, well said! 

• Love 2

If you have a nuanced villain, I can see an origin story.  But, Disney villains are usually over-the-top.  Which is fine.  But, don't give them an origin story. Especially not one that is over 2 hours long.  

As a somewhat disgruntled younger sibling, I could probably handle an origin story for Scar, but actually probably not.  It just doesn't sound quite as ridiculous as one for Cruella or Gaston (who actually is not over-the-top evil, but probably has a pretty ordinary past).

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh I always loved the live action one. I’m sorry I know this is blasphemy but it was the one live action movie that was better than the cartoon. Glenn Close was FABULOUS (making Cruella a fashion designer was such an organic change that made perfect sense), House and Arthur Weasley were perfect as Horace and Jasper, and Jeff Daniels and Joely Richardson were great as Roger and Anita. Plus, REAL PUPPIES!!! 

• Love 4
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

Oh I always loved the live action one. I’m sorry I know this is blasphemy but it was the one live action movie that was better than the cartoon. Glenn Close was FABULOUS (making Cruella a fashion designer was such an organic change that made perfect sense), House and Arthur Weasley were perfect as Horace and Jasper, and Jeff Daniels and Joely Richardson were great as Roger and Anita. Plus, REAL PUPPIES!!! 

If my memory can be trusted, I recall reading an interview in either a kids' magazine or newspaper back in '96, and the kid reporter asked Hugh Laurie if it was hard being mean to the puppies in 101 Dalmatians.  Laurie admitted that while the dog handler showed them how to pick puppies up safely by the scruff of their necks (their mothers pick them up this way, so it doesn't hurt), he once did it just a little too hard and the puppy cried out, and he actually apologized to it. 

See, this is why I've always loved Hugh Laurie (and even if I'm remembering incorrectly, it sounds like something he'd do, so I still love him).

I'll never get over the fact that the original voice of Cruella, Betty Lou Gerson, was also the dulcet-voiced narrator of Cinderella! Talk about versatility!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

If my memory can be trusted, I recall reading an interview in either a kids' magazine or newspaper back in '96, and the kid reporter asked Hugh Laurie if it was hard being mean to the puppies in 101 Dalmatians.  Laurie admitted that while the dog handler showed them how to pick puppies up safely by the scruff of their necks (their mothers pick them up this way, so it doesn't hurt), he once did it just a little too hard and the puppy cried out, and he actually apologized to it. 

That's so cute. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Aw that’s adorable! Glenn Close had a similar story: she’s an avid animal lover so of course she wanted to play with the puppies in between takes, but they wouldn’t go near her as long as she was in the Cruella outfit. So she had to take it all off to play with them.

Anyway, just gonna leave this here:

Have mixed feelings about this video, though they at least get the point that Cruella is born bad and loving it. And they aren’t wrong about the misogynistic portrayal of single business women.

• Love 2
On 2/17/2021 at 5:29 PM, Ravenya003 said:
On 2/17/2021 at 3:53 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I swear to God if they try to justify her trying to murder puppies...

No, it'll be something stupid like Daddy was distant and Mummy was mean and her only friend was a puppy that got taken away from her and as an adult she's trying to process her childhood by swathing herself in dog fur. No way they won't bring class issues and psychological trauma into this SOMEHOW.

I knew it was going to be stupid, but 

Spoiler

"Dalmatians killed my mum!"

surpasses even my expectations for just how stupid it was gonna get. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Katy M said:

If you have a nuanced villain, I can see an origin story.  But, Disney villains are usually over-the-top.  Which is fine.  But, don't give them an origin story. Especially not one that is over 2 hours long.  

As a somewhat disgruntled younger sibling, I could probably handle an origin story for Scar, but actually probably not.  It just doesn't sound quite as ridiculous as one for Cruella or Gaston (who actually is not over-the-top evil, but probably has a pretty ordinary past).

Scar kind of got an origin story in the Disney show, The Lion Guard. It's actually a pretty good plot arc for a show aimed at preschool/early elementary ages. 

• Useful 1

You know, even Once Upon A Time’s Cruella backstory had her be born evil and hating animals, no rhyme or reason to it. And when OUAT, infamous for its many villain sob stories and apologia, does something better, you KNOW you’ve missed the mark.

Screw it, I’m gonna rewatch the Glenn Close 101 Dalmatians on Disney+ today. 

• Love 5

The most enraging thing about this is that a movie where Emma Thompson and Emma Stone snipe at each other wearing fabulous couture is one I would normally want to be there for!! And, I swear, there are shots here that I'm like 'I can sit here on a Friday with my friends drinking wine and loving the shit out of this.'

But I cannot... I cannot stand giving fucking CRUELLA a sob story origin. I loathed it with Maleficent and I loathe it here. Both are magnificent villains in their own right and didn't need an explanation as to why. I don't need to know why Cruella's name is CRUELLA DE VILLE or why her house is called HELL HALL. I don't need to know why she wants to skin puppies and make them into a spotted coat. I don't care. That's just villain material and giving her a reason doesn't magically make the story better.

This is infuriating because if they had just gone forward with 'Let's watch these bitches claw at each other with great clothes and witty repartee' I'd have been all for it. 

I just hate this so much. This desperate need to give the villains a REASON has grown beyond irritating. There are some villains that are fun to dive into... but sometimes, they're just awful and I don't need to know or care why.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Dandesun said:

The most enraging thing about this is that a movie where Emma Thompson and Emma Stone snipe at each other wearing fabulous couture is one I would normally want to be there for!! And, I swear, there are shots here that I'm like 'I can sit here on a Friday with my friends drinking wine and loving the shit out of this.'

But I cannot... I cannot stand giving fucking CRUELLA a sob story origin. I loathed it with Maleficent and I loathe it here. Both are magnificent villains in their own right and didn't need an explanation as to why. I don't need to know why Cruella's name is CRUELLA DE VILLE or why her house is called HELL HALL. I don't need to know why she wants to skin puppies and make them into a spotted coat. I don't care. That's just villain material and giving her a reason doesn't magically make the story better.

This is infuriating because if they had just gone forward with 'Let's watch these bitches claw at each other with great clothes and witty repartee' I'd have been all for it. 

I just hate this so much. This desperate need to give the villains a REASON has grown beyond irritating. There are some villains that are fun to dive into... but sometimes, they're just awful and I don't need to know or care why.

PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Now, that would have been fun to watch.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

That’s what the trailers duped us into thinking. And hell yes, that would have been fabulous. Just have young Cruella go All About Eve on Emma Thompson and that would have been just dandy.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

If you are so uninterested in the premise of a movie, you are not the target demo for it and you shouldn't watch it. Maleficent is an extremely captivating character and how she was interpreted in the movies is amazing. Exploring her roots and why she became the way she is was executed beautifully and it was a very good movie. Just because you didn't like it that doesn't mean that it's bad or that it shouldn't exist. Same goes for Cruella.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

If you are so uninterested in the premise of a movie, you are not the target demo for it and you shouldn't watch it. Maleficent is an extremely captivating character and how she was interpreted in the movies is amazing. Exploring her roots and why she became the way she is was executed beautifully and it was a very good movie. Just because you didn't like it that doesn't mean that it's bad or that it shouldn't exist. Same goes for Cruella.

I’d argue that anyone who writes a long post about Disney Villains is exactly the target demo. Just because you loved it also doesn’t make it a good movie. Good and bad are completely subjective. 

I am absolutely part of the target demo and am very interested in a Cruella movie and a Maleficent movie. I watched Maleficent and if I hadn’t read here I would have happily gone to see Cruella exactly because I am in the target demo. I am just not interested in the movies they decided to make. 

Edited by Guest
57 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’d argue that anyone who writes a long post about Disney Villains is exactly the target demo. Just because you loved it also doesn’t make it a good movie. Good and bad are completely subjective. 

I am absolutely part of the target demo and am very interested in a Cruella movie and Maleficent. I watched Maleficent and If I hadn’t read here I would have happily gone to see it exactly because I am in the target demo. I am just not interested in the movies they decided to make. 

I agree. Movies about Cruella and Maleficent sound great. They were awesome villains. But they ruin it by making it into sob stories and crap. Give us Cruella being the awesome villain she is. Same with Maleficent. 

• Love 6

The film provided Cruella with a sob story but it doesn't mean the character is a sad sack or that her background is the primary reason for why she is the way she is.  I think it was very even handed whereas Maleficient's victimhood in the first film didn't sit right with me.  I found "Cruella" downright fantastic. I  have never even seen any version of 101 Dalmatians but I still knew enough about the characterization of Cruella and her crew to feel connected to the story. 

• Love 1