Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Films

ulkis
  • Start Topic

On 7/14/2021 at 8:11 AM, JustHereForFood said:

I meant specifically female characters that can be role models to girls. 

Edna Mode could be a role model for girls. She's creative, she's a problem solver, she's dedicated, she's self confident, she's capable of learning from her mistakes, and is not obsessed with how how others see or getting/pleasing a man. She isn't a lead, but she is a fan favorite character and incredibly memorable despite her limited screen time. 

• Love 7

After watching Jungle Cruise (which I plan to comment on in it's own thread), I decided to check out the "other" theme park films on D+.  The Country Bears was... weird.  First off, the comparisons to the Jason Segal muppets film are uncanny - however, everything just kind of works better in that context.  For one thing, the muppets still look, talk, and act like the muppets - while the bears look, for all intents, like people in theme park character costumes, with vaguely robotic faces.  I think the story works better in Muppets as well - it certainly helps that the muppets have more distinct and well known personalities.  People know what Kermit the Frog is like - or Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, etc...  While the bears of the theme park show have character types, they're more broad caricatures of old-timey musicians.  Beyond that though, The Muppets just feels more evocative of what the muppets should be - we expect them to be on a road trip/reunion musical.  The Country Bears just feels off.  It tries to turn the bears into Skynyrd or The Eagles - but they're actually more like the Soggy Bottom Boys of Oh Brother Where Art Thou?  The one thing that Country Bears has going for it is that Chris Walken is better as the crazy tycoon than Chris Cooper was in Muppets.

The other film I checked out was the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion, and I was pleasantly surprised.  It's not a great film, but also not the disaster that I had heard it to be.  For one thing, I think Eddie is good in this role.  It's a relief to see him play just a relatively normal father role, in an era where he was often slipping into weird grotesques.  The worst thing about him is that the movie wants to cast him in the "90's dad" trope, where he's supposed to be a clueless workaholic who doesn't relate to his kids - but that's not really how he comes across.  He legitimately seems to be trying to get home for his anniversary - he just gets waylaid by the 90's comics playing their pushy clients.  He also has a lot of biiiiiig comedic takes - but this is the Haunted Mansion movie.  In general though, he's funny during the comedy bits, and frightened when things get scary.  Otherwise, I liked Wallace Shawn and Dina Spybey as the mansion servants, and Terrance Stamp as the butler.  And, I don't think you can cast a better Madame Leota in 2003 than Jennifer Tilly.

I'm not sure what's going on with the rest of the cast though - Marsha Thomason doesn't have a lot to do as Eddie's wife.  She's also a British performer who, in this at least, can't seem to get past her American accent.  And, she was - I believe - 27 when this film came out, but playing the mother of 13 and 10 year olds.  So yeah...   The kids do a lot of kid acting - some of it works, some doesn't.  The only other major role is that of Master Gracey, which is another head scratcher for me,  I get that gothic horror works well with a posh English accent - but you get that with Stamp as the butler.  And, this film clearly takes place in America - what is this guy doing here?  The Haunted Mansion ride is apparently based in part on an estate in Baltimore - could he have been a wealthy mid-atlantic gentleman instead?  I think that would even be more appropriate, considering the events that caused the mansion to become haunted to begin with.  The actor is fine in the role - I just think there were more interesting ways they could have gone with him.

Beyond all that, Haunted Mansion was enjoyable.  And, in it's own way I kind of think it does a better job of evoking the experience of the ride than Jungle Cruise.  Pirates (especially the first) does the best job - but Haunted Mansion comes close.  There are fun scares, classic moments, characters, and music from the ride, and it even mimics the perspective of riding in a doom buggy for one sequence.  There are also legitimately scary elements as well - with practical monster effects that wouldn't be out of place in an actual horror film.  I know Disney is looking to take another stab at this concept - in a way, I don't know if they can do a more faithful version than this one.  But if they can find a way to sneak all of the stuff that worked here back in - just marry it to a more interesting narrative - I think it could be good.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

After watching Jungle Cruise (which I plan to comment on in it's own thread), I decided to check out the "other" theme park films on D+.  The Country Bears was... weird.  First off, the comparisons to the Jason Segal muppets film are uncanny - however, everything just kind of works better in that context.  For one thing, the muppets still look, talk, and act like the muppets - while the bears look, for all intents, like people in theme park character costumes, with vaguely robotic faces.  I think the story works better in Muppets as well - it certainly helps that the muppets have more distinct and well known personalities.  People know what Kermit the Frog is like - or Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, etc...  While the bears of the theme park show have character types, they're more broad caricatures of old-timey musicians.  Beyond that though, The Muppets just feels more evocative of what the muppets should be - we expect them to be on a road trip/reunion musical.  The Country Bears just feels off.  It tries to turn the bears into Skynyrd or The Eagles - but they're actually more like the Soggy Bottom Boys of Oh Brother Where Art Thou?  The one thing that Country Bears has going for it is that Chris Walken is better as the crazy tycoon than Chris Cooper was in Muppets.

The other film I checked out was the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion, and I was pleasantly surprised.  It's not a great film, but also not the disaster that I had heard it to be.  For one thing, I think Eddie is good in this role.  It's a relief to see him play just a relatively normal father role, in an era where he was often slipping into weird grotesques.  The worst thing about him is that the movie wants to cast him in the "90's dad" trope, where he's supposed to be a clueless workaholic who doesn't relate to his kids - but that's not really how he comes across.  He legitimately seems to be trying to get home for his anniversary - he just gets waylaid by the 90's comics playing their pushy clients.  He also has a lot of biiiiiig comedic takes - but this is the Haunted Mansion movie.  In general though, he's funny during the comedy bits, and frightened when things get scary.  Otherwise, I liked Wallace Shawn and Dina Spybey as the mansion servants, and Terrance Stamp as the butler.  And, I don't think you can cast a better Madame Leota in 2003 than Jennifer Tilly.

I'm not sure what's going on with the rest of the cast though - Marsha Thomason doesn't have a lot to do as Eddie's wife.  She's also a British performer who, in this at least, can't seem to get past her American accent.  And, she was - I believe - 27 when this film came out, but playing the mother of 13 and 10 year olds.  So yeah...   The kids do a lot of kid acting - some of it works, some doesn't.  The only other major role is that of Master Gracey, which is another head scratcher for me,  I get that gothic horror works well with a posh English accent - but you get that with Stamp as the butler.  And, this film clearly takes place in America - what is this guy doing here?  The Haunted Mansion ride is apparently based in part on an estate in Baltimore - could he have been a wealthy mid-atlantic gentleman instead?  I think that would even be more appropriate, considering the events that caused the mansion to become haunted to begin with.  The actor is fine in the role - I just think there were more interesting ways they could have gone with him.

Beyond all that, Haunted Mansion was enjoyable.  And, in it's own way I kind of think it does a better job of evoking the experience of the ride than Jungle Cruise.  Pirates (especially the first) does the best job - but Haunted Mansion comes close.  There are fun scares, classic moments, characters, and music from the ride, and it even mimics the perspective of riding in a doom buggy for one sequence.  There are also legitimately scary elements as well - with practical monster effects that wouldn't be out of place in an actual horror film.  I know Disney is looking to take another stab at this concept - in a way, I don't know if they can do a more faithful version than this one.  But if they can find a way to sneak all of the stuff that worked here back in - just marry it to a more interesting narrative - I think it could be good.

The only ride movie I've seen was Tower of Terror and I kind of liked it.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I agree.  Watched this for the first time last year.  I knew this movie had been very much almost universally lambasted, but I found it entertaining.  I thought Eddie Murphy was very good in this role.

21 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Why did no one warn me about Up - or, more specifically, its heart-wrenching opening?!

Sorry! Thought it was widely known at this point. Yeah, Ellie is one of the best - and saddest - parts of the film. But I don't think she was in any of the marketing when it came out, though.

• Love 7

😭😭😭😭😭 I want my school’s version of the Dinosaurs from the original Fantasia! Because that has the voiceover/narration telling the viewers about all the species and how STOOPID Stegosaurus was in trying to fight T-Rex!

What?

• Love 2

Rather than dwell on the travesty that will no doubt result, let’s talk about the original film, shall we?

I love Thomas O’Malley, if only because it’s the one time Phil Harris got to play the lead instead of the sidekick/best friend (Baloo, Little John, etc). And for an alley cat, he really was a great guy: he’s a little thrown by the fact that Duchess has kittens, but he helps them out anyway and he quickly comes to love them like his own.

And Eva Gabor as Duchess? Just iconic. Cats are usually portrayed as indifferent to their owners, but Duchess was loyal to the point where she just couldn’t fathom leaving Madame—who was the anti-Cruella in being a fashionable single woman who didn’t need a husband and kids but adored her cats.

Damn, I might just have to rewatch this on Disney+ this weekend.

• Love 12
18 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Did they learn nothing from 'Cats?'

I'm thinking, 'did they learn nothing from the live-action "Lady and the Tramp"?' I don't know if it was bad, but clearly it didn't make much impact, so I don't know what they think is going to happen with Aristocats, which is even less famous.

• Love 3

When it comes to live-action adaptations of animated movies, I am more of a case by case person, but I am usually ok with those with human characters (unless it is a drastic change like Maleficent). But why remake those with animals? There is no way it is going to look natural, they are not even "live-action" since they use cgi and considering what the animal characters usually get up to, it would look weird if realistically looking animals did that.

I loved live-action Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, am really looking forward to The Hunchback of Notre Dame and hope we get Frozen one day, but please leave the animal ones alone.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Trini said:

I'm thinking, 'did they learn nothing from the live-action "Lady and the Tramp"?' I don't know if it was bad, but clearly it didn't make much impact, so I don't know what they think is going to happen with Aristocats, which is even less famous.

I don’t think they are supposed to make much of an impact. It’s probably just more content for Disney+. The modern equivalent to direct to video sequels. 

6 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

But why remake those with animals? There is no way it is going to look natural, they are not even "live-action" since they use cgi and considering what the animal characters usually get up to, it would look weird if realistically looking animals did that.

Because kids like animals. We are talking about the demographic that made Beverly Hills Chihuahua and Air Bud a hit. 

Edited by Guest
On 1/22/2022 at 2:18 AM, Dani said:

Because kids like animals. We are talking about the demographic that made Beverly Hills Chihuahua and Air Bud a hit. 

Personally, I would prefer animated sequels or new animated movies with animals. But if people like the remake, fine, to each their own.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

If Disney was smart, they could work with him on this project to make sure it rectifies that. Give the live action dwarves some nuance and treat them like actual adults.

People are accusing Peter of trying to cancel Snow White, and that's not true at all. He just thinks that if they can cast a Latina Snow White, then they ought to make the characterization of the dwarves a bit more progressive too.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

If Disney was smart, they could work with him on this project to make sure it rectifies that. Give the live action dwarves some nuance and treat them like actual adults.

People are accusing Peter of trying to cancel Snow White, and that's not true at all. He just thinks that if they can cast a Latina Snow White, then they ought to make the characterization of the dwarves a bit more progressive too.

Honestly, the original movie is only 83 mins.  I expect them to beef up the dwarfs roles since they'll want to increase the runtime anyhow (I'll be disappointed if they don't).  Really the story has two rough areas, Snow White between her lack of agency and her just straight up becoming their housekeeper and the dwarfs being so one note.  I'd like to see some mention of why the dwarfs are out there.  Maybe it was persecution and in which case they relate to Snow and take her in.  I'd love to see Snow wanting to repay the favor so they teach her cooking (she is a princess after all, the most useful skill she'd learn would be embroidery) which could be a lovely scene(s) and can add more character to the dwarfs.  She'd be too tall to work the mines afterall, but I wouldn't mind seeing her attempt.  

I saw someone give a list of actors for the roles and there are a number of famous little people who could do a great job with the roles; such as Warwick Davis as Doc and Dinklage as Grumpy.

• Love 3

Brad Williams agrees with Peter, has his own suggestions

You know what? That’s actually kind of a brilliant idea! Why not let one of the dwarves be a viable love interest? The Prince in the story (and the Disney film) is just kind of there, not much of a fleshed out character. Supposedly in this new version the lead guy sent going to be a Prince at all—and he’s probably going to end up with her, so maybe it’s too late for Brad’s idea. But still, that would have been great.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Matt K said:

Honestly, the original movie is only 83 mins.  I expect them to beef up the dwarfs roles since they'll want to increase the runtime anyhow (I'll be disappointed if they don't).  Really the story has two rough areas, Snow White between her lack of agency and her just straight up becoming their housekeeper and the dwarfs being so one note.

I completely agree. Snow White is actually the princess movie I want to see Disney remade because the movie was revolutionary but it doesn’t particularly hold up well. The important parts of the story are pretty bare bones and leave lots of room for update while staying true to the heart of the original. It also helps that I have zero emotional attachment to the original. It’s a movie shaped by the plot rather than the characters. The other princesses, princes, sidekicks and villains all have much more defined traits that are more limiting in a re-make. 

Disney also has the Willow tv series coming out first which is definitely going to have more scrutiny as a result of this discussion. 

Bob Iger: COVID Dealt Movie Theaters a “Severe Injury That Maybe Doesn’t Heal”
BY ALEX WEPRIN     JANUARY 27, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/bob-iger-2022-interview-movie-theaters-streaming-1235082447/ 

Former Disney CEO Bob Iger, in his first interview since stepping away as executive chairman of the company, discussed the fate of movie theaters, competing with Netflix and yes, the metaverse, in a conversation with The New York Times’ Kara Swisher.

“Because I am not working for Disney I am liberated, I can say anything about anybody,” Iger joked during the conversation, adding that he was reluctant to “single anyone out.”

However, he did have frank thoughts on the fate of movie theaters, which he believes will be permanently altered by the pandemic and the rise of streaming services.

“I don’t think it’s the death [of theatrical movies], I think it is a severe injury that maybe doesn’t heal. Not fatal to some,” Iger said, adding that consumers “will be much more discerning about what movies they want to see out of the home.

“I think what you are going to see is far fewer films released for the big screen,” Iger told Swisher on the Times’ Sway podcast.
And he discussed his final board retreat, where The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters reported that he implored those in attendance to not become too reliant on data. His successor, Bob Chapek, has leaned on data for his decision-making, though in a memo earlier this month the CEO said that “storytelling excellence” remains a pillar of the company.

“In a world and business that is awash with data, it is tempting to use data to answer all of our questions, including creative questions,” he said at the retreat. “I urge all of you not to do that.”

Acknowledging the accuracy of the comments to Swisher, Iger expanded on those thoughts, saying that while it is useful to find out what people like about something after the fact, creative decisions still need to be made based on some level of instinct.

“If we had tried to mine all the data that we had at the time, to determine whether we should make a superhero movie that was about, essentially, an Afro-futuristic world with a Black cast, the data would have said don’t do that, and Black Panther never would have been made,” he said.

Edited by tv echo

So I saw the musical production of Frozen yesterday. I don’t know if anyone here has seen it on Broadway or on the current national tour, but it seems like they’ve tweaked it to include stuff from Frozen II like Iduna being Northuldra, the fact that the parents were lost at sea, etc. Olaf even dropped the “Samantha?” joke lol.

Anyway, it’s a great show, except it annoyed me how they changed the parents dying to when Anna and Elsa were still kids instead of teenagers—making it seem like it wasn’t their fault that Anna and Elsa spent most of their childhood in isolation. Disney really is trying to let their crappy parenting off the hook, aren’t they? 🙄

On a side note, I wonder if the show would have felt any different if the Hans twist wasn’t common knowledge among moviegoers. Because up until then, I thought the actor playing Hans was laying the nice guy act a bit too thick—then again, that might have been the point. Well played, show!

On 1/27/2022 at 8:57 AM, Matt K said:

Really the story has two rough areas, Snow White between her lack of agency and her just straight up becoming their housekeeper and the dwarfs being so one note.  I'd like to see some mention of why the dwarfs are out there.  Maybe it was persecution and in which case they relate to Snow and take her in.  I'd love to see Snow wanting to repay the favor so they teach her cooking (she is a princess after all, the most useful skill she'd learn would be embroidery) which could be a lovely scene(s) and can add more character to the dwarfs. 

I realize and acknowledge this is me overthinking/over-analyzing the 1937 Disney film. Snow White is technically a princess but her cruel stepmother the queen didn't treat her like a princess. She treated her like a servant and was forced to cook and clean, so Snow White did know useful non-princess skills. 

When Snow White found the dwarfs cottage, she was desperate for a place to stay and offered to cook and clean and earn her keep, instead of pulling rank and saying she was a princess that that they had to do what she said because she was royalty.

I like some of your ideas of how to fix the movie for a 2020s version.   

• Love 4

I gave "Encanto" a try because the reviews were so good and I ended up absolutely loving it!  So I watched "Turning Red" today because the reviews are so good and, blah.  It was cute, but it didn't feel special at all.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Frost said:

I gave "Encanto" a try because the reviews were so good and I ended up absolutely loving it!  So I watched "Turning Red" today because the reviews are so good and, blah.  It was cute, but it didn't feel special at all.

That's interesting. I also loved Encanto, after I put off seeing it for a long time because it just didn't capture my attention from the trailers - even though I'm Latina and can't remember the last time I saw an animated film about a family that looked like mine.

But I wanted to see Turning Red right away from the trailers, and am surprised that audiences don't seem to like it as much as critics. I wonder if it's because I was just a couple years older than the characters and remember being boy band-obsessed, being the "good" daughter and having just a couple best friends. I was also (pleasantly) surprised that a Disney Pixar film was exploring puberty and hormones and what it's like to be a 13-year-old girl. I also had no idea that the director, Domee Shi, also did the short film, Bao, which I loved.

• Love 3

I LOVED Turning Red. I think it felt more clearly aimed at that particular age group than many other Pixar movies, which might be why audiences don't love it as much, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and I still found it  super enjoyable.

And I laughed so hard at "Did... the red peony bloom?"

• Love 7

I just saw Turning Red  and really liked it. I’m not the target audience at all, but I thought it was a pleasant way to spend a Friday night. Some parts were predictable but still good. Maybe because I did not see Encanto, I wasn’t let down like others seem to be. 

• Love 6

Maybe "Turning Red" hit too close to home. 🙂  I was bullied starting around that age (lasted for years) and still carry around some of that trauma.  My mom wasn't anything like Mei Mei's mom, but still managed to embarrass me around my peers.  That could be why I just couldn't enjoy the movie.  I am glad a family movie is willing to tackle a girl's puberty.  It just isn't for me.

• Love 4

I thought Turning Red was a cute and enjoyable movie but it didn't hit me the same way Encanto did and I'm Asian. 

My mother was not as though on us as Mei's mother. Also math was my worst subject and according to Hollywood that makes me a bad Asian. Lol 

I remember being boy band obsessed and having a tamagotchi. I also love Red Panda's. This was more like Luca with the perils of growing up and finding out who you are and who you want to be. 

I did laugh when Mei asked Abby to hit her again and she just punched her in the face. I also loved when she asked if she was a werewolf and was the only one disappointed when Mei turns back in a human. I think she was my favorite of the friends. 

No wonder Meiling's mom was afraid of the Panda, hers is the King Kong of the Red Panda's. They never explained why hers was so much larger then everyone else's. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Schweedie said:

I LOVED Turning Red. I think it felt more clearly aimed at that particular age group than many other Pixar movies, which might be why audiences don't love it as much, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and I still found it  super enjoyable.

And I laughed so hard at "Did... the red peony bloom?"

I loved it too & I am nowhere near the targeted age group. The red peony line made me burst out laughing, I laughed quite a few times during the movie. I was even getting into 4 Town, & didn't know until the credits that the songs were written by Billie Eilish  & her brother Finneas (who has a different last name, something else I didn't know). I just thought it was a fun movie.

• Love 6
On 3/13/2022 at 3:24 AM, Sakura12 said:

No wonder Meiling's mom was afraid of the Panda, hers is the King Kong of the Red Panda's. They never explained why hers was so much larger then everyone else's. 

I wondered about that, too. I think I read it as her having been pushing down everything she was feeling harder than the others her whole life, especially compared to Mei - Mei still had outlets where she could be herself, with her friends and everything. I got the sense that her mum didn't have that, which affected the form her panda took when it was let out. Or maybe it was big but not THAT big before, getting bigger this time when it was finally let out after such a long time and Mei's mum was so angry.

Also, when we saw her as a young girl during the ritual, crying and saying "I hurt her", I actually thought she meant that she hurt her panda at first. That that was why her panda was the way it was. (Am I overthinking this were-panda thing? Probably.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Schweedie said:

Also, when we saw her as a young girl during the ritual, crying and saying "I hurt her", I actually thought she meant that she hurt her panda at first. That that was why her panda was the way it was. (Am I overthinking this were-panda thing? Probably.

I figured she hurt her mother, that's why she has the scar over her eye. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I figured she hurt her mother, that's why she has the scar over her eye. 

Oh yeah, I realised that almost right after when they continued talking, but the panda was what I thought of first.

• Love 1

Fyi, there's also a 40 min documentary on making the movie that was really interesting since it was lead by an all-female production team. It's not listed as an extra, oddly enough, but it pops up as something else you might like.

• Love 2

Just watched "Turning Red" and loved loved it. This movie was hitting all the nostalgia feels for me. I am born and raised in Toronto so I loved seeing all the background stuff, like the Daisy Mart!

I had a Tamagotchi and was obsessed with Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls, just never bothered to ask if I could go to a concert cause the answer would definitely be no.

The soundtrack was great too, I can actually see these songs being popular back in 2002 for a boyband.

Also it will be forever known as the SkyDome!  Rogers Centre wishes.

• Love 2

With the comment from that critic about Turning Red being "the horniest Pixar movie", it got me thinking what actually was the "horniest" Disney animated movie previously?

I haven't decided if it's indeed the "horniest", but I see some parallels with A Goofy Movie which also portrayed teen lust/crushes.

Segue to...

Today is the anniversary of A Goofy Movie!

• Love 3