Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: From The Ashes Of Tragedy

• Start Topic

What's faded is the cult status Police Squad/Naked Gun developed. I mean actually after the trial they became even MORE cult-like in popularity, but there was more hesitation to air them, so that faded. 

And it's hard to explain to Young-Uns how ever-present Hertz commercials with OJ were in the day. To give a good comparison, think about Jared Fogle and his role in Subway commercials a few years ago, and think of it on that level. 

In the 70s...

In the 80s...

And in the 90s... (the second one, from 1993, might have even still been on the air by the time of the murders)

I spent a lot of time in airports as a kid (Dad was an airline pilot) and I mainly knew OJ through the Hertz ads in the terminals. (Also somewhat from The Towering Inferno--I remember my brother and I mocking his wooden performance in that watching it on TV late night.) But yes, he was an innocuous household name.

ETA: Sorry mod! For some reason I didn't see your post until after I posted this.

Edited by CeeBeeGee
  • Love 1

While I don't want to underplay Selena's murder, I don't think ANYTHING in the US was a bigger news story than the Brown/Goldman murders and the eventual OJ trial. It was literally a 24/7 story for over a year. it was inescapable. If you flipped channels or picked up a newspaper chances are you'd stumble across an OJ story every day.

So it probably must relate to where you were in the world at that time. I imagine if you were in Mexico, or Central or South America, then Selena's murder would be bigger news. Europe might be a tossup.  Asia? No clue.  Remember the world was not unified on the same newscycle back then. "Internet news" wasn't a concept at all (heck in 1994-95 the vast majority of news outlets didn't have ANY on-line presence--zero--because web browsers were barely used at that point), and TV news likely didn't get seconded as strongly to places outside the US.

I had never heard of Selena until she was murdered.

• Love 5

OJ was definitely a far bigger story than Selena was, in the Middle East and Asia. Hell, Selena was barely mentioned in comparison to OJ on channels like CNN International and BBC World, which gave live coverage to the Bronco chase, the verdict, different parts of the trial...the only time you'd hear about Selena was if a channel was airing ET or Hard Copy. And while people in my part of the world still remember the OJ trial and so much of the circus surrounding it, to most people Selena is someone Jennifer Lopez played in a movie (assuming they even know about movie to begin with).

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 3

It's widely accepted in the news industry that the birth of 24 hour news was actually spurred by the 1979 Iranian Hostage Crisis.  It all started with Nightline's (ABC) Ted Koppel, originally a mix of news, becoming 30 minutes of nothing but the Hostage Crisis. It lasted 444 days and every night the USA was riveted to ABC and Ted Koppel to the point that the show was expanded. This was a program that didn't even begin until 11:30 pm eastern time. It gave "the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" fits. Wise entrepreneurs took note and bingo!, 24 hour news. CNN was founded June 1, 1980.

I know I never went to bed until I heard the latest on "Nightline". I was 30 years old and had to be at work at 7 am, but I had to watch. Ah, to be so young again.

Edited by Ina123
  • Love 4

Does anyone remember the "mysterious", bulky envelope that was handed to Judge Ito. Shapiro just walked up to the bench and handed the envelope to Ito and asked him to keep it safe or something like that. I remember that everyone suspected it was the murder weapon. The explanation of why it was never entered into evidence is below.

"At the June 1994 grand jury hearing, Ross Cutlery provided store receipts indicating that Simpson had purchased a 12-inch (305 mm) stiletto knife six weeks before the murders. The knife was determined to be similar to the one the coroner said caused the stab wounds. The prosecution did not present this evidence at trial after discovering that store employees had sold their story to The National Enquirer for $12,500. The knife was later collected from Simpson's residence by his attorneys who presented it to Judge Ito and subsequently was sealed in a manila envelope to be opened only if brought up at trial. It turned out not to be the murder weapon because tests on the knife determined that an oil used on new cutlery was still present on the knife indicating the knife had never been used. The police searched Simpson's Rockingham estate three times and couldn't find this knife. Simpson told the attorneys exactly where it was in the house and it was promptly recovered."

Even thought they said it couldn't be the murder weapon because of the oil on it, I would love to know where that knife was in the house that the cops couldn't find it. I mean, where do you keep knives?

• Love 3

I always associate the birth of 24-hour news as must-see television with Wolf Blitzer hunkered down in a hotel while bombs rained down on Bagdhad. Desert Storm as riveting "entertainment" was something to behold. I truly cannot even imagine the Simpson trial in today's interconnected world. If Kim's bare butt is all it takes to break the Internet, the not guilty verdict may well have jolted the Earth clear off its axis.

I didn't say the "birth" of the 24 hour cable news. I said "jump started a new fervor."  24 hour cable news existed long before Wolf Blitzer and the Scud Stud (for those of you old enough to remember), but round the clock coverage on one specific not-very-important topic got going with the Simpson trial.  Covering a war or hostage crisis is much different than throwing all the resources to cover a trial of a celebrity who killed his wife.

Who?

I have a question for the people who are old enough to remember the day to day aspect of the case, was it actually riveting on a daily basis? I mean, were people really on the edge of their seat about the latest ruling or motion?

Were the twists and turns enough to keep people coming back? Was the actual watching of a murder case that fascinating? Or was it a combination of celebrity and it being the first televised trial of it's kind?

For me, yes. It was better court room drama than I've seen from Hollywood.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 1

And it's hard to explain to Young-Uns how ever-present Hertz commercials with OJ were in the day. To give a good comparison, think about Jared Fogle and his role in Subway commercials a few years ago, and think of it on that level. 

And also this was the days before DVRs and on-demand and a million channels and online streaming, etc. So you were more forced into watching the commercials than we are now.  

Who?

Obviously this is off topic, but Selena was a very popular Mexican-American singer of the late 80s and early 90s who was murdered by a friend and former employee just as Selena was breaking into the English music market. Its a very sad story because so much talent was taken way too soon. She basically made Tejano music mainstream and opened the doors for the Latin Music explosion of the late 90s.

As for OJs fame, I was a young Canadian girl and I recognized him, though if you asked me anything about his football career I would have been clueless. He was in movies and on the TV enough that I still knew who he was despite not being big into football at age eight.

• Love 2
TattleTeeny, on 04 Feb 2016 - 7:52 PM, said:

I am guessing that Maharincess is referring more about how shoehorned in that particular line was, and not that the K's are present for the story--and it was delivered pretty clunkily too, as was "Your ex is here." She knows who her own ex is! (Haha, you guys are two of my favorite posters here, so I felt I must jump in.)

Your whole post is awesome but this part, man. I can't even explain how much it bugs me--a big true-crime fan--that a truly good detective (which is not to say I think he is generally a good person) pretty much irreparably screwed up his own career with his own....lesser qualities. I mean, come on now! The world needs good detectives.

Aww thanks TT - right back atcha!  :)

I admit that "your ex is here" line was completely awko and lame. I guess I just didn't see the harm in having the girls mentioned in one or two throwaway lines.  But it's all good!

• Love 1

Even though they said it couldn't be the murder weapon because of the oil on it, I would love to know where that knife was in the house that the cops couldn't find it. I mean, where do you keep knives?

There were some shelves hidden behind mirrors, IIRC in the master bath or his walk-in closet/dressing area.

• Love 3

I didn't say the "birth" of the 24 hour cable news. I said "jump started a new fervor." 24 hour cable news existed long before Wolf Blitzer and the Scud Stud (for those of you old enough to remember), but round the clock coverage on one specific not-very-important topic got going with the Simpson trial. Covering a war or hostage crisis is much different than throwing all the resources to cover a trial of a celebrity who killed his wife.

I didn't say you did, lol. I was simply sharing my recollection of Desert Storm as the beginnings of must-see 24-hour news, nothing more, nothing less. (Thanks to the poster who referenced Nightline and the hostage crisis and the emergence of CNN shortly thereafter. I actually had forgotten about that).

ETA: Sorry about the above, mods, I just saw the warning post.

Put me in the "Khloe and Kourtney funeral hijinks as eye roll-inducing" camp. There had to have been a dozen more subtle ways to establish the presence of Kris Jenner and it's stuff like this and Travolta's plasticine Shapiro that keeps this production with one foot firmly planted in the high-camp category for me. But that's okay. A lot of the people orbiting Simpson socially and legally were just plain campy in that way only glitzy, glossy famewhores and social climbers can be.

Edited by Milk-Eyed Mender
  • Love 2

I think the references to the Kardashian girls are probably part of the story the series is going to try to tell about fame, which was such a multilayered and essential part of the crime, the trial, and its aftermath.

OJ was arguably the most famous going into the trial, but the publicity generated by the trial raised the profiles of everyone involved, whether they deserved it or not.

A little off track - I never really paid attention to Kris Jenner during the trial and didn't know until later that she was already divorced from Robert K and married to Jenner at that time. She was already working her way up the ladder - and it just made me wonder recently if she saw her friend Nicole living the high profile, high $$ life with a famous athlete earlier and thought "I want some of that."

• Love 9

I completely forgot to watch this until last night, but thought it was a solid start. Most of my knowledge of the case comes from books and whatever trial footage I can vaguely recall. I was 10 when the murders happened, so I wasn't paying close attention to all the goings on.

Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ doesn't bother me. He may not be the proper build or voice, but the way he conveyed the barely-hidden rage worked for me. I totally bought it. Seeing him at the casket and hugging his children made my skin crawl.

David Schwimmer also did a great job. Like others, I was afraid I was going to see nothing but Ross, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I feel like Robert Kardashian may have been in over his head in the whole situation and I saw that last night.

What happened to John Travolta?! I was so distracted by his face, it was hard to pay attention to what he said. I thought he captured the smarminess of Robert Shapiro, but he looked like a badly-done wax statue of Arnold Schwarzenegger! His skin was pulled back so tight it seemed like he could barely open his mouth!

I didn't really mind the K-clan mentions. They were fairly brief and didn't strike me as pandering. "There's your ex.", on the other hand, was an exquisitely clunky line. Kimmy's bedroom did remind me that I never achieved my sixth grade goal of marrying Jonathan Taylor Thomas and having 8 kids. C'est la vie, I suppose.

I do not like to see even a fictional version of The Morally Corrupt Faye Resnick (thank you, Camille Grammar). I know she was close to the case and all, but damn. I won't even buy her book because I don't want to give her any money. 

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 7

Well, having spent part of the last three hours, on and off, reading this amazing thread, here's my 2 cents:

I was in my early 20's when this all went down and, like many others here, all work stopped as everyone gathered around a small tv set in my boss's office, which she brought in solely for the purpose of watching the verdict.

David Schwimmer is perfect as Robert Kardashian and I actually think the whole "Ross" thing works in his favor - the halting way of speaking, the deer-in-the-headlights look...David perfected that character as Ross and now he's bringing it back with his portrayal of Kardashian.

I will never, ever forget the look on RK's face when OJ's verdict was read.  I can't wait to see how Schwimmer handles that.

Travolta - I cannot take my eyes off of him.  I remember feeling the same way watching Shapiro 22 years ago.

As for calling out the Kardashian girls to establish who Kris Jenner was, I don't mind it except for the fact that one doesn't normally yell at a funeral like that.  I think Faye stating "There's your ex" to establish KJ's identity would've been enough.  At the same time, let's be real - the Kardashians have a pretty big following, and if throwing out their names helps connect viewers to OJ and the people in his circle, I'll let it go.  I have heard that this is not the last we will see of the Kardashian kids in this series.

I was okay with Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ and willing to suspend my issues for the sake of creative license, UNTIL someone mentioned Empire's Trai Byers.  He would've been SO MUCH more believable as OJ.  Fail, Ryan Murphy (although I suppose Trai is a bit busy, but still).

I am 100% on board for this entire series.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3

Guys, please, I know it's hard, but this thread is meant solely to discuss the episode. I'm totally down to discuss how the verdict was communicated to the outside world, but I'm quite certain the verdict didn't happen in this episode. I've started moving posts to the Case Discussion Thread, and will continue to do so to keep things episode-centric in here.

Thanks!

• Love 7

I was okay with Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ and willing to suspend my issues for the sake of creative license, UNTIL someone mentioned Empire's Trai Byers.  He would've been SO MUCH more believable as OJ.  Fail, Ryan Murphy (although I suppose Trai is a bit busy, but still).

The problem with Trai is he'd be too young. OJ was 47 back in 1994. Trai is in his early 30s. A 15 year age gap is pretty big. 

The truth is OJ is an incredibly difficult role to cast because you need someone with the size and physicality of OJ who is also middle aged and has that voice. And can really act the material. I struggle to think of who out there would be the right fit for all those boxes. I'm sure a better physical likeness is out there, but Cuba did do a great job with those angry scenes during the episode. I believe him as a violent, quick-tempered man. Of all the roles, OJ must have been by far the hardest to cast. I though Cuba nailed the performance and personally I'd rather a good performance than a total lookalike who is wooden.

• Love 6

I think another, kind of random way that Schwimmer works as Kardashian is that it adds to the very '90s feel of things. The Simpson trial had a huge impact on '90s popular culture, and so did Schwimmer as a part of Friends. I mean at the time of the murders, we were only a few months away from the pilot episode. Idk, it might not make much sense to anyone else but in a weird meta way it really works.

• Love 12

In the first days of the case, didn't OJ have Howard Weitzman as his attorney? I recall him at the scene of OJs house when he returned from Chicago. I remember reading somewhere that Weitzman figured OJ for guilty and called in Robert Shapiro who was known to be a great negotiator of plea bargains. They had OJ take a lie detector test and he failed miserably. Neither of them wanted him to go to trial, not sure who brought Cochran and F Lee Baily in, but Weitzman wanted out.

Yes, this was all shown in the first episode:  Weitman, return from Chicago, Shapiro getting the call, miserable failure on lie detector test.  They haven't gotten to F Lee Bailey yet, but he's coming up, played by Nathan Lane.

I think another, kind of random way that Schwimmer works as Kardashian is that it adds to the very '90s feel of things. The Simpson trial had a huge impact on '90s popular culture, and so did Schwimmer as a part of Friends. I mean at the time of the murders, we were only a few months away from the pilot episode. Idk, it might not make much sense to anyone else but in a weird meta way it really works.

I read an article that alluded to that (maybe it was the Vanity Fair review?), but it specifically called out the casting of David Schwimmer (with Friends) and John Travolta (with his career resurgence starting with Pulp Fiction) as hitting on that 90s pop culture impact, so I don't think you're that off in your assessment.  

The same article mentioned that the reason Cuba Gooding Jr was cast was less for his look, and moreso because he's a charming and likeable guy (and is perceived to be in pop culture today), and they wanted to hit on how that's how OJ was perceived before the trial.  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 4

I read an article that alluded to that (maybe it was the Vanity Fair review?), but it specifically called out the casting of David Schwimmer (with Friends) and John Travolta (with his career resurgence starting with Pulp Fiction) as hitting on that 90s pop culture impact, so I don't think you're that off in your assessment.  

The same article mentioned that the reason Cuba Gooding Jr was cast was less for his look, and moreso because he's a charming and likeable guy (and is perceived to be in pop culture today), and they wanted to hit on how that's how OJ was perceived before the trial.  

Jerry Maguire came out in '96 - maybe casting Gooding was also a nod to the 90s. 

• Love 4

Yes, this was all shown in the first episode:  Weitman, return from Chicago, Shapiro getting the call, miserable failure on lie detector test.  They haven't gotten to F Lee Bailey yet, but he's coming up, played by Nathan Lane.

Thanks! I'm late in getting to watching this and missed most of the first episode.

I thought he killed her from the moment I heard the news report. Didn't care that he was supposedly in Chicago, hadn't ever heard any rumors that he was an abusive husband. Just the circumstances of her death.

The guy who found her dog with bloody feet and no visible wounds... why not call the police?  Clearly something is wrong. Don't get why they weren't more curious.. or concerned.

Cuba Gooding Jr.'s casting possibly in my mind also comes down to the fact that there are only so many black actors with a name recognition on the same level as the rest of the cast. This is a star-studded mini-series, they're not going to cast Boris Kodjoe (even though he's fine as fuck) because the majority of the audience doesn't know who he is.

Re: The Kardashians

There's an interview with the writers of the series on this weeks Vulture TV Podcast and during it you hear a clip from an upcoming episode and they have Robert Kardashian say to his children, after they're excited that their dad was on television, "Fame is not as important as love and family, fame is fleeting..." or something like that. Now THAT made me roll my eyes. We get it, show.

• Love 5

Then they should have cast Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Marcia Clark lol

And then there is Phil Morris/Jackie Chiles as Johnnie Cochran.

Maybe there are black actors who would actually not want to play O.J.  Cuba is very talented and has a lot of clout so casting people probably think he can overcome a lot superficially.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I don't think this has already been mentioned here, but I couldn't help laughing when Johnnie Cochran told his wife that he couldn't wear the lime-green suit because he was going to meet "MJ" (Michael Jackson, one of his other famous clients) that day at Neverland (MJ's property up near Santa Barbara), and the color frightened Michael! Great reference. I actually loved the little nods to pop culture in this episode.

• Love 12

I don't think this has already been mentioned here, but I couldn't help laughing when Johnnie Cochran told his wife that he couldn't wear the lime-green suit because he was going to meet "MJ" (Michael Jackson, one of his other famous clients) that day at Neverland (MJ's property up near Santa Barbara), and the color frightened Michael! Great reference. I actually loved the little nods to pop culture in this episode.

That was funny, but funnier still was that Cochran was looking for something to wear that would show he was serious, and his wife chooses the lime-green suit. Much to the delight of Mr. If it does not fit. 

I think only the Riddler can wear lime-green and be taken seriously. And that is a stretch even for him.

• Love 5

As for the candles, I recall that she had the bath ready with candles lit around it. I don't recall ever reading there were candles lit through the house, so I expect that was creative license. But I did think it was effective in setting a sort of creepy mood, so I thought it worked.

• Love 1

The scene with all of the candles just gave me one more reason to hate the killer. Not only does he kill the mother of his kids and leave them alone to find the body, he also leaves them in a house filled with burning candles. They could have burned the house down while the kids slept.

• Love 7

As for the candles, I recall that she had the bath ready with candles lit around it. I don't recall ever reading there were candles lit through the house, so I expect that was creative license. But I did think it was effective in setting a sort of creepy mood, so I thought it worked.

I think that was accurate, from my memory at the time.

The rest may come out in future episodes and is being discussed in the real crime thread here, you can check or ask there.  If It Doesn't Fit, You Must Acquit - Full Case Discussion

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1

I didn't think it was great but I thought it was good.  It really does take you right back into that world.

It was cool seeing how was popping up in this series.

The acting was quite good although I admit some of it was unintentionally hilarious, like OJ yelling at his house.  Cuba's acting was good (the portrayal being fascinating) but I have to admit being taken out of it but just how small the actor is.  Most notably in the scene where OJ was handcuffed and the cops were just towering over him.

Courtney B. Vance was really good as Johnny Cochrane. 

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5

I have a question for the people who are old enough to remember the day to day aspect of the case, was it actually riveting on a daily basis? I mean, were people really on the edge of their seat about the latest ruling or motion?

Were the twists and turns enough to keep people coming back? Was the actual watching of a murder case that fascinating? Or was it a combination of celebrity and it being the first televised trial of it's kind?

Yes, it was riveting. I remember I took time off from work to go home and watch the verdict (back in the days when you had to actually watch a television).

I remember OJ from when he was still playing football. My memory says he had a hissy fit because New York was too cold and he wanted to live in California, hence the trade from the Bills to the 49ers. He was a pretty good RB.

So, it was the celebrity factor. How could someone who seemed to have it all, kill his ex wife? It was shocking.

I wouldn't call it the first televised trial of its kind. I remember when the Watergate hearings were on all day, every day, and we were glued to that, as well.

Yes, I am old. :)

Anyway, I came to say that I found the show kind of boring, because I remember when it all happened. Maybe that's a product of age, as well. Lack of interest in fictional recreations of events I saw first-hand.

• Love 3

The scene with all of the candles just gave me one more reason to hate the killer. Not only does he kill the mother of his kids and leave them alone to find the body, he also leaves them in a house filled with burning candles. They could have burned the house down while the kids slept.

Thank God for the dog, because those kids could have been the ones to find those bodies too. 

• Love 13

Thank God for the dog, because those kids could have been the ones to find those bodies too.

Initially my husband was convinced of OJ's innocence and his logic was that no man would would leave her there like that for his children to find. Obviously he overestimated the man. On the subject of the dog, that was another thing, among many, that convinced me it was OJ. Kato was an Akita. They are guard dogs. If it was anyone other than OJ they would have found a lot more blood from the killer
  • Love 8

Initially my husband was convinced of OJ's innocence and his logic was that no man would would leave her there like that for his children to find. Obviously he overestimated the man. On the subject of the dog, that was another thing, among many, that convinced me it was OJ. Kato was an Akita. They are guard dogs. If it was anyone other than OJ they would have found a lot more blood from the killer

Wow. That's so obvious but I didn't even think of the fact that it was likely the kids would have woken up and found her and Ron's bodies

• Love 6

Wow. That's so obvious but I didn't even think of the fact that it was likely the kids would have woken up and found her and Ron's bodies

That didn't even dawn on me until the officer was searching the house. Then, I started thinking "Please let the kids be spending the night with grandparents, or friends. Just let them be anywhere but home!" Thank goodness for the tiny favor that they were at least asleep. Sydney calling and leaving a message for Nicole on the machine just broke my heart, though. It didn't help that my kids are near the same ages as the Simpson children were.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 7

I didn't think about it much at the time myself, and it does beg the question of whether OJ thought about that and whether he had a plan for getting someone to go check on that. I mean, I think he made the decision to go over to the house and hurt or kill Nicole pretty quickly, but he had time afterwards, especially on that plane ride, to come up with a plan. Best guess - calling Arnelle or someone loyal and say he couldn't get in touch and was worried.

Was he really so awful he didn't think of the kids finding her?

• Love 3

I didn't think about it much at the time myself, and it does beg the question of whether OJ thought about that and whether he had a plan for getting someone to go check on that. I mean, I think he made the decision to go over to the house and hurt or kill Nicole pretty quickly, but he had time afterwards, especially on that plane ride, to come up with a plan. Best guess - calling Arnelle or someone loyal and say he couldn't get in touch and was worried.

Was he really so awful he didn't think of the kids finding her?

Do we really want to apply logic to a psycho?

Admittedly he was a functioning psycho, but think about the actual condition of Nicole's body. That was the result of unbridled unthinking rage.

• Love 6

I watched this episode and I think I am hooked for the series. I was in grade 12 at the time of the actual events so I remember some but not all of it (the verdict came down when I was sitting in a calculus exam and another teacher came and told our class). Some of the stuff I remember was the banging on the ac-unit, but I never dug into it and found out the speculation is that it was because OJ had climbed over the wall of his house in that area. I do remember a Mad TV sketch where OJ was back there and talking about how his years in the NFL had made him highly skilled at dodging things, but then every time he turned around he walked into the unit.

I didn't know about the fact that he used going out for McDonald's with Kato to try and alibi himself. What exactly was the timeline for the whole thing with that, the murder, the lady seeing the bronco at the intersection the banging and the limo showing up?

I am excited to see how the rest plays out. I absolutely think that OJ did it, I have just never been sure if the prosecution presented enough evidence to earn the conviction. I am also curious to see how the whole media attention thing plays out. Have they cast anyone to play Jay Leno (remember the Dancing Ito's?)?

• Love 2

Kimmy's bedroom did remind me that I never achieved my sixth grade goal of marrying Jonathan Taylor Thomas and having 8 kids. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Ha! At 43 I'm too old for JTT, but it reminded me of "Twin Bed" on SNL.

And I just wanted to echo some of the praise for Sarah Paulson here, which is incredible coming from me because I almost always find her annoying.

• Love 6

Can Rick Fox act though? The only thing i remember seeing him in was Oz and i don't remember anything about his performance that would make me think he's a better actor than Cuba Gooding Jr. Since this isn't SNL or something where best OJ impersonation counts the most i am OK with putting acting skill above "looks most like OJ".

• Love 5
Can Rick Fox act though?

Fox's part as Clyde "Sweetfeet" Livingston in Holes was brief, but enough for me to look him up to check him out.  He has a pretty healthy filmography bio, so I'm presuming he has some skill.  He's been acting for more than 20 years.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0289213/?nmdp=1&ref_=nm_ql_5#filmography

(scroll down for the listing and expand for his movie credits)

Edited by Tunia

Not defending OJ (ever), but he didn't know that part. He never entered the condo. He rang the gate doorbell and she came out, probably thinking it was Ron.

This is separate, but since it has been discussed here, someone tweeted Kato Kaelin asking if he really said, "Juice, do you want juice," and he replied, "Never ever."

• Love 6

You know, since most of OJ's scenes are going to be sitting in the courthouse, it seems to me that they could have used various forms of trickery to make Gooding look bigger and more intimidating.

I mean the height is not hard to handle. 3 inches is hardly insurmountable (assuming Gooding's figures of 5 foot 10 are true). Lifts in his shoes handles half that, and some photographic/perspective trickery in other scenes could have helped too.

His build is more of a problem. OJ was like 215 pounds at the time--and even at that age a lot of it was muscle. As we know from Jerry McGuire, years earlier, Gooding is capable of looking cut (well in his youth he was), but it's a leaner version than OJ. I bet he put on weight for this role, and even still I bet he didn't weight any more than 185.

And as someone else pointed out, you just can't fake those huge football player hands OJ had.

That said... yes... acting ability mattered more with this than looking like OJ.

This is separate, but since it has been discussed here, someone tweeted Kato Kaelin asking if he really said, "Juice, do you want juice," and he replied, "Never ever."

Kato was something of a burnout back then, admittedly, but this production really has him looking like he had only a few working brain cells, doesn't it? The moment I heard that line I knew for certain there was no way in real life it really was said. I mean it's the kind of lame joke someone might make the first time they met Simpson. It seems to me that anyone hanging around OJ more than a day would know better--that variations of that joke had been made in his presence for decades and was hardly going to amuse him.
  • Love 2