Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E08: Hollywood Round #2

• Start Topic

Guys, this is our last Hollywood Week Group Rounds.

I want to reminisce about my favourite one of all time.  It's called Heejun Han versus Cowboy.  I was so in love with Heejun and Phillip Phillips this season.  Poor PP had kidney stones.  

• Love 7

No one has grabbed my attention on AI since HeeJun.  He really does have a nice voice and what a personality!  This season does not excite me.  Who is Kelly Clarkson's "bookend" that they are looking for?  An opinions?

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 1

Bye, Poh.

Melancholy happy trails to Josiah (I do wish we could've judged his elimination based on hearing him sing, not just on his gawky dancing), Elvie and a few others.

WTF is happening with Andrew and Lindita? How did they make it through? That wasn't even music. It was a dog whistle and modulated yelling.

Christian Eason was a really nice surprise. He and Malie actually made me like Manny in a group setting, something I didn't see coming.

Other standouts...Korey and Jenna Renae from the first group, Avalon, a Lindzee we hadn't seen before, CJ, and Sarah Sturm who might end up being one of those non-descript pop singers like Emily Piriz or Kristen O'Connell who goes out in 12th or 11th place.

Still not feeling Thomas Stringfellow despite the AI desperately wanting me to.

Did anyone else recognize Jess Kellner from an early season of the Voice? I believe she was on Team Usher...

Also Jessica Paige (the only one from her low energy group to make it through) looked eerily familiar from somewhere too. Maybe a previous season of Idol or AGT?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Where was Ginger Lush?  Did she not even make it out of first night? NOR group night? Man.  I thought she was going to be Top 3. Maybe for some reason they simply have not shown her period but she's still there.  But no, I know that's really unlikely.

Oh poo.

Team Tristan. And I'm good with LaPorsha Renee and Sonika okay too. And baby Lee Jean.

Are you kidding me? Poh just left? Man if she can't hand the stress of group week then I hope she has other plans for her future.

So glad to have so much time wasted on her. Why showcase her if she was going to bail?

Kudos to the guy with mono. If he makes it through all the cuts hope he makes a recovery. I had mono when I was in 2nd grqde. You are NOT supposed to move around at all. He's risking damage to his spleen. And the fact that he was still standing with an illness that makes you only want to sleep? Still kudos.

• Love 6

I thought Russian Andrew was pretty fantastic, actually. That was some vocal...high-wire act! He's one I'll be watching for now. I don't remember seeing him in the cattle call episodes, but those always feel endless to me. 

• Love 2

Anatalia's mom is kind of a snake, I thought, and I thought she brought all of her group drama on herself.

Totally agree with this. Why are the parents allowed to interfere? I understand they should have access to their precious snowflake children if they are underage, but they should not be able to inject themselves in the process to that extent.

• Love 3

Anatalia's mom was completely out of line and shouldn't have been there (but I did think she was right, both about the song choice and about the group change. Anatalia probably owes getting through to her mother, even though you'd think there would be rules about interference by stage moms/dads/friends.)

Sorry to see Daniel Farmer go home, especially considering some they put through instead. Also didn't like Harry reprimanding Joy for her team spirit (to the extent of letting the other girl have the closing "big moment'. She'd down enough to showcase herself and the other girl had a cute idea to showcase herself for the end. It made me like Joy Dove more, that she didn't have to dominate.)

JLo later said, "I've been around because people like working with me." I agree with that. What goes around comes around. Harry's probably right that she should have been trying to "crush the competition", but I kind of hate that philosophy, personally, especially when you're looking at creative artists, competition or not.

• Love 8

That's what always rubbed me the wrong way about the group round. Don't get me wrong, it's an iconic part of the process that belongs....but the show wants it both ways, and then selectively decides which matters more dependant on the individual group.

I mean, not knowing the lyrics should be an instant DQ...yet the girl in LaPorsha's group sneaks through, Brenda K. Star's daughter gets through undeservingly again, two from the next to last train wreck group that all forgot the lyrics to Stayin Alive somehow survived too.

And they are very inconsistent as to groups who go for more a "sum is greater than the individual parts" approach. I was worried for the Uptown Funk quartet, I thought for sure they'd inexplicably leave one member behind.

They did that w/ the super tall construction worker guy...passed everyone in his group through except him. I thought he was best or 2nd best in his group, but the margin from 1-4 was so close you don't know how or why the judges singled him out to be axed.

Heaven forbid you also have scenario where everyone decides to behave like that horrible Eliz character. Yet sporadically if you listen to HCJ and JLo's advice, you'd think she had the right game plan for the round....which feels very manipulative and counterproductive.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4

Ugh, I detest group night.

Hm.  Kory Wheeler is good. Jenna Renae blew me away. Jordan Sasser was meh. 

I liked Amelia Eisenhauer's audition, and I still like her.  And Tristan consistently kills it.

Damn, Jeneve, you couldn't find a bigger hat?

Trent told the guy last night that he couldn't get mono unless he kissed him.  But I guess not? I loved his take on "Rather Be" (a song I love)..

Lindsay was bitchy and wouldn't take a hug when she was turned down.

Elvie was a little harsh there.  His voice was a little too raw. John Wayne was there in his group, I guess?

I wonder why they showed Mackenzie from that group but not the other ones even though they went through.

Bye, Po, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Dalton is going to be a contender.

Dammit, I liked Sonika, I don't want her to be a mean girl. Andrew's singing made my ears bleed.

I DO NOT LIKE that they were showing us groups performing with music that was not them singing. But I won't miss Jaci.

Have we ever seen Lindita before?  And did she lose her last name?

No more perving on JLo for Daniel.  Good.

Bye, Eliz, karma is a bitch.

I liked Joe Dahman. Too bad that group was so flat.

Dammit, I thought Thomas Stringfellow had a chance.  But that was another flat performance. He was lucky to get put through.

Manny had weird pronunciation. I really liked Christian Eason.

It's shocking to me that John Arthur Greene, the Broadway star, forgot his lyrics.  How is that possible?

• Love 1

That girl with Porsche's group had a great voice. But she wasn't just struggling with the lyrics, didn't just forget a few of them. The other two gave her the opportunity to hear everything 2 more times by going last (plus the repetition of "Staying Alive" which she didn't seem to know either). She didn't get even ONE word right!!! That was pretty shocking, esp. after we saw Michael tell her "Learn it!!!!"

Good voice or not, if you can't learn one chorus and one refrain in a song where it's all just being repeated for the third time,....how can you be in a singing competition? Even if you've never heard it before, that is just NOT a difficult song, not for the words, not for the rhythm or melody. I still can't believe they put her through!

• Love 6

"Stayin' Alive" does cram a lot of words in, but geez, yeah, it's one verse and one chorus, and she just heard them twice. It isn't impossible!

Kind of a weird song to be on the list of assignments. Just think, if there had been American Idol when "Staying' Alive" was a hit, it would have been like the kids of 1977 singing "Jeepers Creepers" or "Begin the Beguine." 

• Love 5

Funny, I didn't really hate Po, but I was already sick to death of the weepy Shi footage and wasn't sure how I'd be able to stand a whole season of it, so I'm glad Po's gone.  Though you'd think that having a sister who'd just gone through all of this a year ago, she of all people would have known what to expect.

• Love 4

They want/think Porsche is going to win. They gave her the pimp slot and made sure we know how selfless she was to switch to another team who needed her. She's the Kelly Clarkson bookend.

• Love 5

Musically I thought that was the worst Hollywood week show I can remember. Usually there are at least two or three killer group performances. Tonight was so blah. If the Manny group was the best of the night, that's sad. (I thought the only one in that group who really sang well was Christian, the black dude we had not seen before). The last group was probably the best, even with the forgotten lyrics, because at least they had energy.

Part of the problem, I think, was song selection. We kept hearing the same boring songs over and over. In past seasons I remember more variety, with some old classic soul tunes, some rock, even gospel. A couple of those songs were almost like funeral dirges. No wonder the performances were low energy.

Regarding the manufactured drama, when three out of four in a group agree on a song, but one girl and her pushy mom want to change, who's being selfish? Envy was actually much better, and they all deserved to go through. The fake out was all the judges scowling, like they were mad at the group for being mean to little Anatalia. Stephany surprised me by showing she can really sing. I thought she was there for her looks.

They are really trying to make Brenda K. Starr's daughter happen. I don't get it. She wasn't good in her audition, she wasn't good tonight. And Harry even called her out for special praise. I guess it's all about the drama of the stage mom and her 15 year old daughter following in her footsteps. Who cares?

Speaking of 15 year olds, I really I want Jeneve Rose and her stupid, oversized hat and fancy cowgirl duds to go home. (That hat was like something a sports mascot would wear.) Sounded like she did an original song the other night, telling us again how great it is to live out on the range, where you get to know Jesus. What a special little snowflake.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

They want/think Porsche is going to win. They gave her the pimp slot and made sure we know how selfless she was to switch to another team who needed her. She's the Kelly Clarkson bookend.

Blech. If she gets pimped, I'm out. Another Idol who we will never hear of again as soon as the last piece of confetti falls.

• Love 5

I don't know if they showed more performances than they did in previous years, but it does seem to me that they showed more good performances.  I actually didn't mind most of the people they put through and didn't see any particularly egregious cuts.  And that bitch who tried to screw over her group by not practicing with them (Liz or something like that?) got her just desserts.

For a two hour show, it really felt like they were giving us the bum's rush.  We heard the same songs over and over performed pretty much the same way so instead of developing some standouts it made everyone more generic.  Maybe it would be more expedient to just eliminate the contests with stage mothers, infants and/or funny hats.

I'm really trying to like Off-the-grid girl but with that styling, she's giving me the disturbing impression that somehow Temple Grandin had a love child fathered by Howdy Dowdy.

I'm trying not to hate Sonika but she's pretty, talented, has a loving family and lives on Martha's Vineyard.  Quit while you're ahead.

If it's true that Jennifer Lopez is successful because people enjoy working with her, she needs a new public relations team stat because there are a billion rumors to the contrary.  They may not be true but image is everything.  And quit mouthing the words when you clearly don't know the songs.

• Love 3

I thought Russian Andrew was pretty fantastic, actually. That was some vocal...high-wire act! He's one I'll be watching for now. I don't remember seeing him in the cattle call episodes, but those always feel endless to me. 

I hated him, mainly because I hate that kind of singing and I'm not generally a fan of men with voices that high.  But I realize musical tastes are very personal.  He's just not my bag, musically.

• Love 3

Speaking of 15 year olds, I really I want Jeneve Rose and her stupid, oversized hat and fancy cowgirl duds to go home. (That hat was like something a sports mascot would wear.)  Sounded like she did an original song the other night, telling us again how great it is to live out on the range, where you get to know Jesus. What a special little snowflake.

It's an actual song by Little Big Town called Boondocks.  

Edited by UMAngela
  • Love 3

I was kind of hoping for a fiddle-girl/cello-giirl/guy with guitar group.

It's good to see J-Blo can take the spaciness down a few dozen notches when necessary.

ETA:  Thank you, Scott B-whatever for shaving that ridiculous facial hair.  Now get rid of the shoe polish hair dye and you just may look human.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

PhD-Purgatory15, Really enjoyed and agreed with so much of your post.  Didn't understand a lot of the cutting and keeping decisions.  BOO to the woman who couldn't sing a tiny verse of Staying Alive.  It's one verse.  How are you going to do when it's Top 20?  bluepiano, agree with you too.

That woman in Sonika's group -- the one who looks like a Latina pageant queen.  (Stephany?)  She's so beautiful.  How is she that beautiful?  I can't believe someone is that beautiful.  I have to hope it's plastic surgery so I can sleep at night.  JK but also not really.

I think I'm becoming a La Porsha fan.  Her kid is adorable even though she schleps her around too much.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Trent told the guy last night that he couldn't get mono unless he kissed him.  But I guess not?

I wondered about that too, and looked it up--mono can be spread through a sneeze or cough, but is not as contagious as the common cold.  Don't really see why Trent couldn't have stood off to the side a ways and still sung with a group.  By just making sure he had a handkerchief at all times, he wouldn't have been that much of a danger to anyone.  He could as easily spread the disease simply by touching something that might then be touched by someone else.  The whole thing struck me as more of a drama thing--not on his part, but on the show's part. 

Stayin' Alive actually has a second verse (the third is the same as the first) but nobody understands it. Kind of like the Star Spangled Banner (there's more verses?). The contestants who tried to bluff their way through the lyrics ended up sounding like Eddie Murphy's Buckwheat character on SNL.

Trent was most likely kept apart because of liability insurance issues -- they don't want anyone to have any chance of saying they got infected with mono.

• Love 1
Trent was most likely kept apart because of liability insurance issues -- they don't want anyone to have any chance of saying they got infected with mono.

Yep.

Though, I also suspect the producers threw him a bone. Mono totally wipes you out and you should be sleeping. Spending all night haggling with your group about song choices, harmonies and dance moves is not conducive to getting rest. He could pick out a song that worked for him, figure out how to stage it, learn the words and get to bed. Mono is enough of a handicap to simulate having to work with a group. Group rounds is essentially putting the contestants in a high stress situation and seeing who cracks and who blooms.

And let's be honest, if Trent was fodder, they probably would have just cut him. But, the producers like him and probably like the arc his illness is creating, so he gets the chance to stay in the competition. If he doesn't completely die during Hollywood week, I think he will be a contender.

[La'Porsha is] the Kelly Clarkson bookend.

Nope. She is niche, not commercial. They'll want somebody they can push to the mainstream formats. Borchetta hasn't got a freakin' clue what to do with a big-voiced Adult R&B artist. The show will either go for a pop female or some AAA male with the potential for cross-over. Scott would say "yes, please" if they are good looking too.

• Love 2
ETA:  Thank you, Scott B-whatever for shaving that ridiculous facial hair.  Now get rid of the shoe polish hair dye and you just may look human

He looked vaguely decent. I was glad he wasn't wearing that stupid logo on all his clothes.

Pee Wee girl with flat-ironed bangs and waaaay to much energy looks like Lea Michelle with flat-ironed bangs and waaaay to much energy.

Girl with boondocks cowboy clothes.  Hmmmm funny how every single one of her family members has normal clothes and hair.  Trying to stand out from the crowd,are we? I wonder where she got her braces when she is acting like she has to drive 2 hours in a buggy to get a roll of toilet paper.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5

My favorite line of the night, La Porscha's pep talk to her group: "if you're gonna be wrong, be wrong strong!" I don't know if that's a common saying but it's the first time I heard it and it cracked me up.

I love LaPorscha and her adorable baby. She's just a natural. Just don't like her hair.

I hope Trent doesn't give himself life threatening injuries / long term effects from not resting. I really like his attitude--no whining about being sick, just simply said it is what it is, but I'm still going to to give it my best shot.

• Love 2
I wonder where she got her braces when she is acting like she has to drive 2 hours in a buggy to get a roll of toilet paper.

If you asked her, I'm sure she would be happy to explain how she made the braces herself out of broken cello strings. Oh, and she doesn't buy toilet paper - she makes her own on the nights the generator isn't needed to power the TV to watch Idol.  You silly people on the grid with your store-bought everything.

• Love 8

Michelle and her weird Troll face have been irritating me since her audition (the face just incidentally, but mostly her weird dysfunctional personality, and oversinging), so not pleased she's still in this.

Group Round is like the asshole end of the Idol process. Man, if there's one part of this show I won't miss at all...

So what happened off-screen with Poe?  And do we really care?  

• Love 1

In regard to JLo's "niceness" , she was doing a taped performance for DWTS when she was pregnant but wasn't admitting it yet, and she made them retake the whole song because they showed the pro dancers too much instead of her. ( this reportedly from someone that was there) and trust me, the dancers were much more entertaining.

Not sure why they insist on putting all those 15 yr olds through. All the successful AI contestants have not been teenybopper s.

• Love 1

All the successful AI contestants have not been teenyboppers.

Fantasia was 18 when she auditioned and 19 when she won.  She's an example of a successful Adult R&B artist.

Jordin Sparks and Scotty McCreery were 16 when they auditioned and 17 when they won. Jordin had a lot of success with singles from her first album ("No Air" was huge) while Scotty has had two successful Country albums. He's not Carrie Underwood, but he's had decent success (it's not like he is in Caleb, Lee, Candice territory).

• Love 3
I'm really trying to like Off-the-grid girl but with that styling, she's giving me the disturbing impression that somehow Temple Grandin had a love child fathered by Howdy Dowdy.

This? Cracked my a$$ up! Between her huge hat and that superfluous fringed bag around her waist, I couldn't focus on her singing at all. Which may have been a good thing.

Pee Wee girl with flat-ironed bangs and waaaay to much energy looks like Lea Michelle with flat-ironed bangs and waaaay to much energy.

I can see that in a bizarro world kind of way. I think it's Avalon (?) the girl with the really long black hair who wears over-sized men's t-shirts and jeans who is a ringer for Lea Michele for me. 

If I hear "bookend for Kelly Clarkson" one more time I may explode. It's funny that, if my knowledge of AI post-show success is at all accurate, that the two most successful and "lasting" males have been Clay and Adam. Yet AI seems to still run far and fast away from "theatrical" males.  I'm so sick of the Jason Mraz,"sing like you're taking a constipated dump" type male singer this show loves. And while I don't want to start an Academy Awards type argument here, if this goes as we all suspect it will with a likely guaranteed female winner (a "bookend" for Kelly! A "bookend" for Kelly! A "bookend" for Kelly...), that means there was only ever one male winner of color and if I recall correctly no other non-white male to even make it to the final two (not sure Justin G counts). Kind of sad. 

I want to like Dalton because he's cute and looks like Billie Joe Armstrong, but his voice isn't doing anything for me. I like Mono Boy's voice. I cannot stand Jordan and his man bun. Sonika did not impress me in the group round. Tristan disappointed. Jenn B I may wind up liking. La'Porscha is great, but that hair... 

• Love 4

Someone here on this board gave a decent theory that maybe they want a 15 or 16 year old to win as a crapshoot at a final legacy that might mature by the time they (theoretically) might want to try and bring the show back.

If they have perhaps some secret plan to bring the show back in a decade, that gives them the whole decade to try and prop up a final young winner, whereas if the final winner is a bit older, that shortens that window (because realistically the best chances for a superstar breakout are probably for artists under 25, so they'd want that whole theoretical decade for that to happen).

Or not. I just thought it was an interesting theory.

I can see that in a bizarro world kind of way.

I know it's mean to this girl to say it, but I can only see Lea Michele in that girl if you took each of Lea Michele's features and moved them 50% closer to each other. Lea has that nose to work around, of course, but that's just one feature that differs from traditional beauty that kind of highlights the others in contrast. "Pee Wee girl", as you call her, is er... all different.

Stephany made it really far in Mexico's version of american idol.

Interesting. I don't think that Idol has ever had a Latino (a) winner. If they actually want to finish up with a marketable winner, than she might be their best option, especially given the enormously profitable Mexican and South American markets. A beautiful Latina who could record in both English and Spanish seems like a better choice than La Porsha, with her dated soul style, or one of their untested 15 year olds.

If it's true that Jennifer Lopez is successful because people enjoy working with her, she needs a new public relations team stat because there are a billion rumors to the contrary.  They may not be true but image is everything.  And quit mouthing the words when you clearly don't know the songs.

I read a quote from Off-grid girl that before she flew to LA she'd never been on a plane with 3 seats on each side. I guess that Daddy's private jet only has two.

It seemed to be JLo Appreciation Night, with most of the appreciation coming from JLo herself. But Harry also had to chime in with what a great performer she is. One of the things I will not miss about this show is being constantly head over the head with what a talented, beautiful, amazing, yet humble person Jennifer Lopez is. Last week I had to laugh when she told one contestant how much better she sings when she connects with the lyrics. On a list of JLo's talents, singing is definitely way down at the bottom.

It's an actual song by Little Big Town called Boondocks.  

Thanks for the correction. I know nothing of contemporary country music.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Quote of the day ^^^^^^

I haven't watched this episode yet...and I knew exactly who this was from that description.

• Love 2

I love Hollywood week.

This one seemed low energy compared to my memory, plus they show a story happening and then repeat it to the judges on stage.

More singing! Makes me think the singers are t so great? I guess there are a lot of them left.

I liked Stephanys voice a lot. She was protected in the edit too, so I hope she does well.

Avalon is adorable and a great voice.

Mono boy was an inspiration for his determination in the face of a lot of adversity.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 2

A million likes to this. Rumors have been around for several years about JLO's diva behavior. Only difference is is that she hides it better on this show than Mimi or Xtina.

I fell asleep thirty minutes in and woke up fifteen minutes before it ended. I remember when this used to be appointment tv. Now it's vocal Sominex. Now I have to go back and rewatch this on Demand dammit. 

• Love 2