Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Who Are These People?

New series. The lives of a group of eclectic and seemingly unconnected characters start to intersect in unexpected ways as news breaks that a comet is on an unavoidable collision course toward Earth and will hit in just 34 days. Mild-mannered Slough bank manager Jamie is arrested on suspicion of cyberterrorism and realises that, somehow, he must have an identical twin. Comedy drama, Mathew Baynton, Rob Lowe and Pauline Quirke

Tonight (or on demand now) in the UK, midseason on NBC in the US.

Easily one of the two best new comedies starring Rob Lowe to debut in the last 24 hours.

• Love 1

The premise reminds me of The Last Policeman trilogy by Ben Winters-a comet is going to hit earth and the world is going to end. I liked the books.   But no, I don't think I will be watching.  Tara Ariano's review convinced me.

• Love 1

Ugh. First Heroes Reborn, now this cute for insomnia. How do they make The End of the World so boring??? I like the Sister and her cartoon boss, but the banker and the mom were dullsville.

The other 12 in the bunker obviously are even less interesting.

Moreover, they've locked themselves into a no-win situation; either the world ends and all this is meaningless or it doesn't and how they got in the bunker is meaningless.

Even the promise of Disna Rigg won't bring back.

• Love 1

It wasn't a sit-com.  Maybe that's why a lot of Americans didn't like it.  I'm American and I loved it!!  Subtle humor - no belly laughs or laugh-track needed.  Compelling characters (Rob Lowe as a priest who swears, smokes, and takes a nip from a bottle in his desk? - Fabulous!  Ah, if only more priests in my Catholic upbringing were as human, I might still be going to church.  *Might*.) 

All in all, a fun hour that even left me with my own pondering:  A comet is in a collision course with earth, I have 34 days to live, what would I do?

Leave it to the Brits to amuse, entertain, and provoke thought.  Great show, and I'm definitely in.

• Love 15

I liked it a lot, but I was also the adolescent and teenager that spent hours watching BBC reruns on PBS before the internet. It was obvious to me before knowing anything about it that this was a Brit import - and I stumbled onto it flipping channels right as the blurred bird flipping scene commenced.

• Love 1

I'll put it this way. I was entertained the entire time and when the show ended, I set my DVR to record the entire series. That said, I would much prefer to binge watch. I think the delay between episodes will hurt this show. 

I really liked the tone. I would say that it was "quirky" and I loved the mix of accents and settings. Sure, elements were predictable (I knew the minute Ronda flipped off the two prison groups that she was not getting out). But I thought the pacing was good and all the storylines interested me. I was surprised when the hour was up. If nothing else, I'll watch it as a replacement "The Last Man on Earth".

• Love 7

It was weird, but . . . I liked it? Kinda. It's interesting enough for me to keep watching it anyway. I'd be interested to know the backstory of this show because if it was filmed in the UK with British actors why did they deliberately add (somewhat) well-known American actors to the mix? How did Rob Lowe manage to do two shows in one season? Was there some sort of production-sharing agreement with the US in order to get this thing made? Hmm. The backstory of the show itself might turn out to be more interesting than the story the show is trying to tell. We'll see.

• Love 4

Am I a dummy, or is it ambiguous which of the twins is in the bunker? It seems like the husband/banker is the narrator, but the hacker is the one who got Mom/etc out of jail.

I hated that Rob Lowe was negging the nun. He could have been a rebel without being an asshole, and he could have challenged her without being an asshole, and he could have been funny without being an asshole. But I guess the people making the show don't know the difference.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

I enjoyed it very much but wouldn't really consider it to be a comedy. Although it's not a drama so I guess that's the only other option? The tone is fairly light overall, especially considering the subject matter, but everyone's personal stories felt real to me. I was sad for the banker and his loss, worried for the non-hacker mom, and motherly towards the nun. Rob Lowe was my least favorite character just because I felt it was, as the recapper said, a copy of his role on The Grinder. I didn't mind the priest character per se, just felt that was Rob overplaying it.

On the whole, I reacted very positively but will be irked if the world really doesn't end at the end.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

I'm in too. I liked it. And I strongly DISLIKE (if not hate) American sitcoms, which, thankfully, this was nothing like. So, one more viewer is in for the duration.

I liked it, too - and agree about most American sitcoms.  I'm hoping this turns into a quirky little show I can continue to enjoy.

• Love 3

TV trope ahoy! People watching a news broadcast through a shop window! And it's on all the channels! One minor niggle though - how is it that the Italians were watching the US President announcing the news on a US network, rather than their own Prime Minister, who would presumably have been given the news about the comet along with every other world leader.

• Love 2

TV trope ahoy! People watching a news broadcast through a shop window! And it's on all the channels! One minor niggle though - how is it that the Italians were watching the US President announcing the news on a US network, rather than their own Prime Minister, who would presumably have been given the news about the comet along with every other world leader.

In Armageddon and every other apocalypse movie, the US is always the first to find out and if they tell other world leaders before the masses then there is always an arrangement that the US president announces to the world their impending doom so there can be a uplifting montage at the end where the world cheers the US for the audacious plan that saved them.

Its Emergency Presidential Address trope followed by the Nations of the World montage.

I'm just surprised that the Brits got on board with it.  But its probably because the comet hits so can't have the British PM announcing.  

I liked it too.  It's a nice mix of comedy and drama, and the characters (so far) are sympathetic.  I'd be fine if the world really does "end", but I'd also be okay with a second season showing the aftermath.  I want to know why the hacker busted Ronda out of prison.  I know he thinks she's a cyber mastermind, but what's the plan?  I'm curious to see what happens with Ronda's husband, undergoing cancer treatment.  Will he just be left to die?  Will hospitals close, leaving patients to fend for themselves?

Anyone else think the twin's mother looks like Louie Anderson's character in Baskets (Chip's mom)?

• Love 4

So if it is a 99.99999% chance the entire world is going to explode  what is the upside of telling everyone?

It kept me interested and went by pretty fast so I keep recording it for the time being.

• Love 1

So if it is a 99.99999% chance the entire world is going to explode  what is the upside of telling everyone?

It kept me interested and went by pretty fast so I keep recording it for the time being.

Amateur astronomers.  It would be hard to keep it secret. 

We don't have many details yet, just that it's an "extinction event".  Maybe that means there's a chance for some people to hole up in bunkers and survive.  ??

It wasn't a sit-com.  Maybe that's why a lot of Americans didn't like it.  I'm American and I loved it!!  Subtle humor - no belly laughs or laugh-track needed.  Compelling characters (Rob Lowe as a priest who swears, smokes, and takes a nip from a bottle in his desk? - Fabulous!  Ah, if only more priests in my Catholic upbringing were as human, I might still be going to church.  *Might*.)

To be fair, it wasn't very popular in the UK either. After drawing 1.28 million for the premiere, they were down to an average of only 600,000 for the final 7 episodes (equivalent to 3 million in the US). On NBC, the premiere drew 5 million with a 1.2 in the demo. That's not bad for an NBC show, but we'll see what happens in the following weeks. Since it's a joint production between NBC and Sky 1, it was cheap for NBC and they'll likely air all 10 episodes even if the ratings tank. With NBC struggling, it could even be renewed if it doesn't drop too much in the demo.

I found the premiere intriguing, but I'm not sold yet.

• Love 2

It was weird, but . . . I liked it? Kinda. It's interesting enough for me to keep watching it anyway. I'd be interested to know the backstory of this show because if it was filmed in the UK with British actors why did they deliberately add (somewhat) well-known American actors to the mix? How did Rob Lowe manage to do two shows in one season? Was there some sort of production-sharing agreement with the US in order to get this thing made? Hmm. The backstory of the show itself might turn out to be more interesting than the story the show is trying to tell. We'll see.

As Badlands said, the show is a Co-Production of the British "Pay/Cable TV" type network Sky 1--which is, apparently backed at least in part by the 21st Century Fox (formerly 20th Century Fox) Studios--& NBC here in the US. So, yes, there was a "production sharing" thing, & therefore the "mixed" British/American cast.

I'd argue that Rob Lowe (at least given his headline-making legal issues, in the late 1980's [the "sex tape" scandal] & earlier in the 2000's [the lawsuits going back & forth involving Rob & his wife & the former nannies to his now college-age sons & other household staff], but also because of his "Brat Pack", & other, films & his 4-year, Emmy-nominated run in The West Wing which was also popular in at least the UK), if not also Megan Mullally (a multiple Emmy winner for Will & Grace) & Jenna Fischer (who was, by the way, born in my hometown & whose show, the US version of The Office, was popular at least here), are more than "(somewhat) well-known American actors" though.

I follow Rob Lowe on Twitter. Among other things, he Tweets about the various professional projects he's working on. If I remember correctly--especially since it aired in its entirety in the UK before it aired here--he Tweeted that he went to the UK to film this either before Fox picked up The Grinder for their Fall schedule, or between the time The Grinder was picked up & started filming. At any rate, this was filmed before The Grinder.

Here's the Wikipedia page for the show, which might provide some background. There is an "Episodes" section, which contains descriptions

--& therefore spoilers--for the rest of the series.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You,_Me_and_the_Apocalypse

And here's an article, from Variety last year, about the various co-production deals between the Sky networks overseas & US commercial & cable networks, as a way of "upping their content game". It refers to the show as Apocalypse Slough, so they changed the title at some point.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/global/reconfigured-european-pay-tv-giant-sky-ups-its-content-game-1201441712/

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed it. I'll echo other posters and say it wasn't ha ha funny but I actually liked all the plots. I know I've heard that nazi woman's voice somewhere before but I can't place it yet.

Possibly the only point of contention I have is with how they're going to end it. It's clear they aren't going to actually destroy the world but as we've actually been shown up to the literal last minute of their impending doom, there is not believable way for them to avert disaster. They can't blow up the comet, it's too close and the debris would still kill everything. They can't knock it off course, again too close and far too late. So I am curious and getting pre-emptivly annoyed at whatever last second trick they pull that saves them

Edited by Lrdmordain
I really enjoyed it. I'll echo other posters and say it wasn't ha ha funny but I actually liked all the plots. I know I've heard that nazi woman's voice somewhere before but I can't place it yet.

That's Megan Mullally.  Will & Grace, Tammy 2 from Parks & Rec and other stuff I can't think of right now.

I really liked it so I'm definitely in.  I agree with the poster upthread it would make a good binge watch.  I'm ready for the next episode as in immediately.  So, yeah, they've got me.

As far as apocalyptic comedy goes I like this a bit better than Last Man on Earth, but I'll probably watch both. They're quite different.  And I'm enjoying Lowe as the priest more than as The Grinder, which has become very one note role, IMO.

It's good to see Jenna Fischer again!

• Love 3

I thought the main cast--and the peripheral players--were interesting and quirky without being full of stupid. 

I don't recognize the actors, but the writers did a good job of establishing baselines for the nun--who's prepared to patiently accept a lifetime of being annoyed by other nuns, ooph--and Mr. Three-Minute Egg.

It's easier to watch Rob Lowe sort of wink-wink make fun of himself as a handsome bad boy--what else could he be?--when he has a storyline beyond preening and pantydropping. 

I know Jenna Fisher must be a strong actress because I rooted for Pam for years and ended up disliking her intensely by the end of The Office.  (Did someone above suggest she really is the computer mastermind, and not her son?  There you go--excellent hairpin quirk curve I didn't even consider.)

If you can't stream stuff and you aren't attracted to long mysterious government conspiracy arcs, the new show pickings have been mighty slim lately.

ALL IN.

• Love 1

Well it wasn't what i was expecting. The promos made it look like a straight up wacky comedy and this wasn't it. I really enjoyed Father Rob Lowe and Sister Celine, I'd watch a sit-com about them traveling the world playing Devil's Advocate. However, the rest were kind of blah. I didn't care for the Librarian but the White Supremacist Inmate was interesting.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed Father Rob Lowe and Sister Celine, I'd watch a sit-com about them traveling the world playing Devil's Advocate.

I love that idea! Kind of the X-Files for miracles except Celine would be the believer and Father Jude the skeptic. ;)

• Love 3

Mr Rat twisted my arm to watch this, which I grudgingly did. I found to my surprise that I really like everything about it except the central end-of-the-world premise, which I was sick of even before it became such a ubiquitous tv/movie trope in recent years, probably because I grew up reading so much science fiction. Since it's a limited series I'm probably watching this one.

Also I appreciated that the writer knew enough about the actual Catholic Church to know about the recent history of office of the Devil's Advocate and the current flood of canonizations. Plus:

from the recap: The show portrays Celine as a highly intelligent, thoughtful person, and takes her spiritual crisis and search for purpose seriously; in the whole first hour, not once is her vocation as a nun made the punchline of any jokes.

I liked this a lot as well, since while I do love me some nunsploitation I appreciate this kind of spiritual life being treated in an intelligent informed way.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

NBC promoted this as a comedy, and it wasn't one. I think that was a mistake on their part. I'd not heard of it prior to it being advertised this year, so I was unaware of the British connection. I do like a lot of British programs, but this show just didn't work for me at all. I actually thought it was terrible and unwatchable, and I promptly removed it from my DVR playlist.

I like a lot of members of the cast, but I just can't take another show in which I spend most of my viewing time trying to figure out what the heck is going on. I watch tv to escape, so I'm out.

The tone is fairly light overall, especially considering the subject matter, but everyone's personal stories felt real to me. I.

That's my problem -- none of their stories -- banker with an Eeeeevil Twin, mom in sit-com prison with World's Greatest Hacker son, Nazi -- who allows the show to be As Racist As It Wants To Be ("that's not us, that's the character!").  Almost all blech.

I really enjoyed Father Rob Lowe and Sister Celine, I'd watch a sit-com about them traveling the world playing Devil's Advocate. H.

Now this I'd watch!!!

I'm surprised to see almost all positive comments in here with a few detractors. Though possibly it's telling that this is only a page of comments and people who didn't like it didn't write anything? Not sure. I'm going to try the second episode, but I think this show is probably weird and different, rather than weird, different, and good. Different for different sake doesn't work for me and I think that might be what this is more than anything else. My maybe not liking it is just my not liking this show. I don't think it's necessary to call out Americans or American sitcoms. I watch a ton of variety that isn't appealing to a traditional American audience, so I wasn't looking for belly laughs or something similar to a typical American sitcom, whatever that is. But this didn't hit the right note with me. It was just kind of there rather than amusing or witty throughout. It was even more odd than interesting in large part.

I don't think this one will be one I'll watch, but will try it again strictly because I'm rather devoted to Rob and Megan. I think so far though, the person I like the most is the main guy who doesn't know he has a twin and then Rob. And the little I found amusing in their storylines feels unlikely to repeat going forward in the series given the world is ending.

Edited by JasmineFlower

Amateur astronomers.  It would be hard to keep it secret.

Yeah, but what laypeople pay attention to amateur astronomers? The general public could be kept in the dark for weeks no matter how many astronomy enthusiasts started pointing and tweeting. Fortunately there have been enough kooks calling for the end of the world throughout time that governments could wave them away. I would think it's in every Country's best interest to deny the impending comet while secretly strategizing it in order to prevent anarchy.