Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: My Struggle

FOX MULDER (David Duchovny) and DANA SCULLY (Gillian Anderson) have been contacted by TAD O’MALLEY (guest star Joel McHale), a popular conspiracy theorist web-TV show host who believes he has uncovered a significant government conspiracy. With the assistance of FBI Asst. Dir. WALTER SKINNER (Mitch Pileggi), O’Malley seeks to enlist the help of former X-Files agents Mulder and Scully, who have since severed ties with the FBI. Through O’Malley they are introduced to SVETA (guest star Annett Mahendru), a possible alien abductee who shares shocking information with them that will challenge everything that Mulder has ever believed about the existence of aliens and the government’s role in covering them up. “My Struggle,” the premiere episode of THE X-FILES, airs Sunday, January 24 (7:00-8:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Sourcehttp://www.spoilertv.com/2015/11/the-x-files-episode-1001-my-struggle.html

This is your topic to discuss episode 1 of the new 6 part series of the X-Files.

Note: Please keep it to just show talk. Talking about politics in general is not allowed and any posts that head in that direction will be removed without warning.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm gonna end up having to watch it tomorrow if the football post game lasts for the half hour I think it's going to. I turn into a pumpkin once 10 hits.

Yea can relate. Probably going to watch, but it's gonna be a late night.

Well, it would, if this stupid football would get off my TV!!

Exactly! Get it over with. We get that Carolina won, but now lets move onto the X Files!

It's going to be on soon! Fox has a countdown clock on for it.. too bad it's cut off since I don't have a HD tv XD.

Yes! It just came on! :D

• Love 2

I am really hoping the Lone Gunmen make an appearance. Sure they died at the end of their series, but I am sure that could be worked around either in "flashbacks" or that they really didn't die.

'

• Love 6

OMG Smoking man, smoking through a tracheotomy! That was wild. I loved it and wish that it would be more than 6 episodes. I really liked all the contemporary political stuff. I watch those Ancient Alien shows, so I knew a lot of those theories that they mentioned. It was really a nice, contemporary addition. 

• Love 7

Since this was my second viewing, I’ve been keeping notes as I went along.  I feel about this now pretty much the same as I did after my first viewing – it’s okay.  Which is what I expected, so I’m not disappointed.  But it should have been a lot better, since it’s the franchise’s reintroduction to the world following a disappointing movie.  They needed to come back with a bang, and this is just too exposition-y to pack that punch.  Very Redux-esque.

I like that we’ve dispensed with the warring alien factions type of “nonsense” storyline and gone back to government conspiracy; actions by men, using alien technology.  And I love that the X-Files are reopened because both Mulder and Scully want them to be, not because Mulder is dragging the reluctant skeptic back into the fold.  I just still don’t much care; get me to the MOTW episodes.

I can’t get as worked up as CC wants me to about Mulder declaring this time he’s come upon The Truth and the key to everything, with everything they’d been led to believe before being a lie, because we have heard this before.  I’m about as tired of hearing it as Scully is.  And I really can’t get excited about the return of CSM when they admitted to it before filming even started. (And the fact he was, you know, very dead in the finale.) Why do that and then try to hide it by holding back Davis’ name until the end credits? 

Visually, it’s good stuff (well, minus the stock footage).  While obviously the theatre’s screen was significantly larger than mine, we were off to the side because we were about 360 of 400 let in.  So in some ways I just got a good look tonight; excellent production values.

It’s something to build on, but I can’t say I’m looking forward to the continuation in episode six, since CC is on his cliffhanger kick (great when you know you’re coming back next season, not so much after all these years when this may be it).  The weaving in of real-life events and revelations is a mixed bag, although that may come down to personal politics; some things cited made me think, “Yep, exactly.”  And some made me think, “Really, Chris, you’re lumping that in?”  So what he’s building up to, I’m not sure I’m going to enjoy.  It seems rather far afield into truther-type paranoia.

The MOTW episodes in between, though?  Oh, yeah – Agents Mulder and Scully are back, baby!

So, okay, the separation.  It makes all the sense in the world to me … if I write a bunch of post-IWTB backstory in my brain.  What’s presented on screen is rather thin.  And kind of makes Scully look like an asshole.  Since she's who I'm here for, I'm wary.  (But the vibe is right; they obviously love each other eternally.)  I still think CC is chicken shit for doing it in a way that doesn’t put much thought into it beyond his desire to hit a reset button, but I’m not worked up about it.  It wasn’t until the end of IWTB that I thought the relationship was a good thing for Scully, so if they need some work to get back to it being healthy to be together in that way, fine.  (I’d still prefer a darker Nick and Nora, but I’m trying to go with the flow.)

Minor notes:

- Jesus, Scully, I’m sure the nurse has a name; use it.

- Finder Spyder?  And Mind-Whatever?  IWTB was pretty much sponsored by Google for all the mentions, and now we have this? 

- Gillian Anderson is beautiful, and it is so nice to see a face that moves and wrinkles.  But I’m glad they color corrected the Scully wig going forward, because that barely qualifies as strawberry blonde, never mind red.

- Shave, Mulder.  I know some people like that look (and I know what it’s meant to speak to), but I hate stubble.

-Wash your car, Scully.

So, yeah.  This wasn't great (okay, the script was rather a mess), but Mulder and Scully are back at the FBI where they belong.  Giddy up.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 12

(Speaking as someone who never really got into the original show) I loved it.  I was compelled and didn't have my eyes wander to social media throughout (well for the most part) so that was a victory.

Television critics are already TRASHING it on Twitter, though.  Alan Sepinwall.  Indiewire.  

• Love 9

(Speaking as someone who never really got into the original show) I loved it.  I was compelled and didn't have my eyes wander to social media throughout (well for the most part) so that was a victory.

Television critics are already TRASHING it on Twitter, though.  Alan Sepinwall.  Indiewire.  

Yeah, everyone I've read has said this is the worst of the lot. Tomorrow's is supposed to be much better.

• Love 2

Yep. Mulder and Scully are Han and Leia in 'The Force Awakens'

Jeff Winger putting the moves on Scully was gross.

Omg Mulder ripped the poster!

Nooooo! Sveta! I hate when bad things happen to that actress either here or when she plays Nina on "The Americans".

How is Cancer Man still alive?!

Scully with her arms crossed and rolling her eyes listening to conspiracy theories has not gotten old.

• Love 9

I thought this was OK, figuring they wanted to get the conspiracy backstory out of the way as quickly as possible in a limited series. Still, much better than the critics led me to believe.

We noticed in a couple of the hospital scenes Scully seemed to have blood spatter on her neck, but none on her clothes. Possibly some continuity error if all the scenes were filmed at one time, but still no explanation for the blood.

• Love 3

ALL the nostalgia feels.  I victory armed and got a little misty when they used the same credits.  So fucking great.   A lot of exposition but I get why.

Skinner!!!

Also, SMOKING MAN!!!

This Krycek-girl needs to see his face too. 

I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

• Love 9

Nooooo! Sveta! I hate when bad things happen to that actress either here or when she plays Nina on "The Americans".

Scully with her arms crossed and rolling her eyes listening to conspiracy theories has not gotten old.

Heck yes they are. They're married!

I actually like this ok. Weird stuff aside.

Whole lotta talking.

So Carter takes every right-wing nutjob conspiracy theory and folds it into the mythology? Really? I was more on board with the little grey men.

Yeah, I am not enjoying this much. Too much credence given to the super nutty stuff that actual real people actually spout -- usually losers who want to feel there's a reason they can't get anywhere in life. Yet their websites haven't gone offline, even when they "expose the conspiracy" every day. Jade Helm, anyone? And I always feel affronted for FEMA, which keeps getting picked on by those nutjobs for preparing to help people in disasters.

I was afraid this is the tack Carter would take when I heard Joel McHale as playing an Alex Jones type. Yuck.

I used to always root for Mulder over Scully, but not this time. Dude needs some serious medication. And how does this conspiracy "explain everything?" Does that include Flukeman? (Maybe he was a fluke). And what about ALL the alien stuff they've seen in the past -- terminalien, little gray men, Scully's alien hybrid daughter? And why is he accusing Skinner of not being on his side, when the final episode of season 9 had Skinner defending everything Mulder ever did?

Here's hoping the MOTWs are more compelling.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 10

Oh, it's like they've never been away!

Good job on making Mulder in particular look like forty miles of bad road, CC. He cleans up nice in the future eps if the previews are anything to go by but DAMN. David, look at Gillian. That is what unstinting, rigorous skin care can do. However, I must protest that "Fuck the world, I quit" deflated Farrah Fawcett wig they bunged on that poor woman's head. I hate that hairstyle anyway--hate it on Olivia Benson and I hate it here.

Nice to see you Annett! Last time was watching you hilariously trying to come across as intimidating back on The Following--raise your hand if you were kinda hoping Kevin Bacon would lope on through to trade crazy stories with Mulder!

So, were Scully and O' Malley on, like a date in that one limo shot with the champagne? I really couldn't figure out why he was so determined to waltz into a sterile OR and such to try to sweet talk her--to get to Mulder? Please. All you need is a rubber alien from Archie McPhee's to do that.

Did this feel like two thirds of an episode to anybody else? Like, the reintroduction tissue paper got skimped on a bit in order to provide more gift basket sausage? Mitch Pileggi came across pretty "If I don't get more than two minutes screen time I'm NOT shaving" to me in his one scene.

I have to admit, I most identified with Dana listening to Tad and Mulder ranting about their latest "and THAT'S how it all fits together!" bloviation spectacular while doing that "frozen disapproval" face she does so well. If there's anything we've learned since the X Files went off the air, it's that conspiracy theories, no matter how far reaching and tangled, cannot even come close to the complexity they would need to actually provide a genuine reason for a bunch of well heeled sociopaths to bother agreeing to any of this. They run the whole Goddamn world already! They don't need all this alien crap, it just muddies the waters and attracts loony tunes like Mulder to gum up the works!

- Jesus, Scully, I’m sure the nurse has a name; use it.

Amen. When she was bibbling about "expecting a phone call...I'm hoping for a phone call..." I was waiting for the nurse to say "...and? I'm not your secretary."

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 10

And then he needs to hook up with Skinner. What? I like Skinner/Krycek slash.

I was laughing at the absurdity in that scene of conspiracy theories. Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

Well...that was a whole lot of exposition. I guess it was necessary to try to explain things to a potential new audience, but I was bored and checked my phone several times throughout.

I have hope for the remainder of the episodes though. MOTW episodes are not a bad thing in a limited run series.

Looking forward to tomorrow's episode...

• Love 3

Well, it would, if this stupid football would get off my TV!!

Sacrilege!! Do not mess with the Panthers kicking Arizona butt! Amazing game, just awesome.

Well, I have to say. I liked the episode. I really like it. There was something so familar and welcoming about it. It wasn't anywhere near as jarring and uninteresting as the second X-Files movie. Honestly, it had the original series feel. I was engaged the entire time, interested and totally into it.

I really liked how Carter is spinning current World Events into the global gov't conspiracy to take over the US. Very creative. And I will say that the cinematography was beautiful overall.

I honestly had no problem with M & S not being together, I can see it, tbh. Mulder is not an easy person to be with. I've always thought (during the original series run and movies) and Scully was a saint for dealing with that. I love Mulder, but it can't be easy.

Skinner - WOW! Man has not aged, looks gorgeous as usual. So happy he's in the main credits.

And can I say how much I LOVED that they used the original credits, just added Skinner, and zoomed in a bit. Made me grin insanely.

Smoking Man - How much do I love William B. Davis - let me count the ways!

The Alien craft was awesome, felt bad for the alien and overall, quite enjoyed it. Great episode!!

I guess I am easy to please and happy over my Panthers win/Patriots loss, but I don't know, I thought it was really good!!! :'0

• Love 13

(Speaking as someone who never really got into the original show) I loved it. I was compelled and didn't have my eyes wander to social media throughout (well for the most part) so that was a victory.

Television critics are already TRASHING it on Twitter, though. Alan Sepinwall. Indiewire.

I'm kind of with you: I was never a hardcore X-Phile, but it was such a phenomenon back in the day that I certainly saw and enjoyed a lot of episodes. As someone coming at it from that perspective, I thought it was great.

When Joel McHale, Mulder, Scully and Sveta (sp?) just kept talking and talking towards the end about the conspiracy and the Patriot Act and banks shutting down, I was just like, "Yes! I have missed this kind of crazy!" And Skinner and Scully talking in half-riddles to Mulder--how can you not love that? I wish I had been enjoying a glass of wine with the show. (I couldn't do that with the first go around with this show when I was like 14!)

The professional critics are party poopers, I have to say. This is the kind of thing where you sit back and enjoy the ride and nostalgia. And don't overthink it by applying rigid logic. I mean, those classic opening credits? What's not to love?

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 17

I'm sure the diehards will be happy to see the show and these characters back onscreen. Though I watched the show back in the day I was never a diehard fan. Anyway, I thought it was okay. There was nothing new or fresh about this episode. The veteran characters, with exception of Gillian Anderson who looked great, and the conspiracy storyline felt old and tired.

I was never a fan of Mulder exposing the truth. His ideas were always more idealistic than realistic. He could never see beyond exposing the truth i.e what comes after. But I digress...when he was going on and on for the millionth time about the truth needing to be exposed and of course Scully speaking logic in how irresponsible that would be, I nearly turned the show off, but pushed through and continued watching.

I'm not hyped up for the next 5 episodes, but I will watch only because out of all the SciFi/supernatural shows I've watched, The X-Files have had some of the most original cases of the week I've ever seen. I have no interest in the conspiracy storyline. That ran its course years ago but I am curious about what they come up with for the COTW.

One more thing, I wonder if we'll see Mulder and Scully's son in this 6-episode arc. He was mentioned tonight, and would be nearly an adult by now. Though his birth IMHO was in part the show's undoing, I'm mildly curious to see where he ended up.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 7

I wanted to love it more than I did, but am feeling like it was just ok. Not awful but not great either. It felt a little forced to me which probably kept me from getting swept up in nostalgia. The porch scene with M & S was kinda painful. Overall I'm happy they're back on my tv, but I'm hoping the next ones are better.

• Love 8

Scully really cannot deal with this malarkey.

My favorite moment, after the scene of Mulder and Scully on his front porch (ah, that chemistry), was Scully stabbing Steva with the needle without a warning. Don't be jabbering about her kid, Sveta.

• Love 7

ALL the nostalgia feels.  I victory armed and got a little misty when they used the same credits.  So fucking great.   A lot of exposition but I get why.

Skinner!!!

Also, SMOKING MAN!!!

I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

My thoughts exactly! SO misty over the credits. I tried to stay unspoiled as I possibly could, so getting to see Skinner made me grin like a loon, and I was super surprised by CSM. He looks....well. Not well, to put it mildly. Can you seriously smoke through a tracheotomy?

Mulder off and running thinking he finally has the KEY TO EVERYTHING (for real this time, you guys) made me smile if only for nostalgia's sake, but I really felt for Scully, having to sit through all that convoluted explanatory stuff and realizing where they were going with it and then raining all over their parade by being the voice of reason. Also, holy crap was that dialogue clunky. That being said, I liked them drawing on contemporary events while folding it all together.

Poor Sveta! Every time Mulder and Scully realize they need to protect someone, they are already in the process of being hurt/killed/abducted/maimed.

Lastly, the Mulder and Scully being separated thing, I get it. Their relationship hasn't always been the healthiest thing, but damn. Watching Scully watch him on the porch all "wow, this man I love has truly gone off the deep end and I've heard this all before and I can't help him and I'm so worried" was pulling on my heart strings like crazy. That and her sitting in the car determined to leave but unable to make herself just go. Yeah. All the feels. Damn it, Gillian. =)

Forgot to mention, LOVED that Scully is just as on board as Mulder by the end of the episode! Determined!Scully is fantastic!

Edited by SparklesBitch
  • Love 10

Scully's barely putting up with this, but she's hanging in...until Sveta says, "You don't know what it's like to be abducted." Scully's not having it, and does this almost imperceptible move forward with her face. It's half hidden warning growl, half call on bullshit. It's marvelous.

That was fantastic. It was flawless. How she doesn't move one damn muscle in her face as every pore projects "What? I'm sorry, what? Little girl, you have no idea. I was being fucking abducted and chased thither and yon by mystery ghouls when you were in your little Ukrainian cradle, got it? This is going to hurt."

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 21

A little exposition-heavy and dry.

I did smile at the Carterlogue/Mulder voiceover at the beginning. For all its previous walking thesaurus pretentiousness during the show's initial run, it was a nice 'welcome back'.

I did enjoy Dana's eyeroll at the conspiracy theories. They never go out of style. The X Files did start before the Internet took off (I was a member at its official messageboard). The current world events tying in to the new conspiracy was quite interesting.

I did like the alien spacecraft that crashed. I felt sorry for the little grey alien that was killed.

Free energy is fascinating. More realistic than Stargate's 'wormhole drive'.

I liked seeing the old office. I did expect that the I Want to Believe poster would have been quite dusty by now. Too bad Mulder destroyed it. Enjoyed seeing Skinner.

Not keen on Sveta being the new 'key to the X Files'. Maybe Gibson Praise will come back.

Also enjoyed seeing Glen Morgan's name on the credits.

• Love 4

I wanted to love it more than I did, but am feeling like it was just ok. Not awful but not great either. It felt a little forced to me which probably kept me from getting swept up in nostalgia. The porch scene with M & S was kinda painful. Overall I'm happy they're back on my tv, but I'm hoping the next ones are better.

Yeah that scene was pretty bad. At times, throughout the episode, the acting was not that great, especially from DD. But it's been awhile since he and GA have invoked these characters. They'll probably be fully settled back into the roles the next episode.

• Love 1

Can you seriously smoke through a tracheotomy?

Sadly, you can. I remember many patients who would pull their IV poles outside in the cold to smoke a cigarette through their trachs. Generally, their rationale was that there was no point in trying to quit now since in order to need a trach, they probably had some significant cancer already. It was especially common at the VA.

I enjoyed the show. My joy over the old credits knew no bounds!

• Love 3

-Wash your car, Scully.

Ha! Great minds think alike. My dad texted that exact sentence to me during the show. Followed quickly by: "My car would never be that dirty."

That was fantastic. It was flawless. How she doesn't move one damn muscle in her face as every pore projects "What? I'm sorry, what? Little girl, you have no idea. I was being fucking abducted and chased thither and yon by mystery ghouls when you were in your little Ukrainian cradle, got it? This is going to hurt."

Yes! Her attitude was practically radiating through the screen. Fantastic stuff.

• Love 2

I got so many feels seeing those original credits. Overall the story was ok, but so happy to see Mulder and Scully on screen together. Did like seeing the flashback to '47 and meeting the guy in present time. Annet was definitely the strongest actor of the guest stars. I really couldn't take Joel McHale seriously and was unimpressed with his dramatic acting. He just came off so flat until his conspiracy rant at Mulder's house. Loved Scully's reactions to that rant. She was so over it. Heh that Hiro Kanagawa got to be on 2 revivals of shows in the same tv season but is apparently on his 3rd appearance for The X Files. CSM is seriously a cockroach. He somehow manages to survive.

• Love 5

Loved the shot of the pencils still stuck in the ceiling tiles in Mulder's old office. Although wouldn't they have fallen out by now?

Maybe if there had been a flood and they got moldy.

Given office space constraints, that space would be either a cube farm or storage.

It was a bold move having the show practically erase all of the convoluted alien war mythology on the first episode.  It does make it a lot easier for people to understand what was going on. I'll admit I still need to read Wikipedia if I'm watching a late series episode or the 1st movie.  But it also seems to negate a whole lot of stuff from the original run.

Still, X-Files seems to be handling a return a lot better than some other sci-fi shows.  **cough** Heroes **cough**  X-Files seems to be putting characterization before random plot developments, which is good.  I look forward to seeing what the next few episodes develop.

• Love 3

Aaaaaaaaargh! Tivo messed up due to the football game and I didn't get this ep at all and it's not showing as repeating at any point! How do I see it before watching ep 2 tomorrow? I have been looking forward to this evening for weeks! 

• Love 1

I had set my PVR to record this a week ago. I didn't realize there was a football game and didn't watch live. As a result, only half the episode aired for me and now I have to wait until it airs again on Space on Saturday. Grrr.

• Love 2