Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Murder Ex Machina

(edited)

I enjoy Sherlock's consultants and Mason was well used this week for some comic relief.

I did find it weird that Marcus specifically said, "You see sleeves on any of these girls?" when Sherlock was talking about the strippers, despite the fact that the very girl Sherlock had pointed out and used as an example was wearing sleeves. A black mesh shirt under a silver bustier is more like what someone would have worn to a 90s rave than as a stripper. There was also another stripper dancing on the stage in the background wearing long sleeves too. Most covered up strippers I have ever seen!

The actual case wasn't my favorite, but we got some silly/funny stuff (like Sherlock telling Joan that he was paying Mason by letting him sniff her hair) and some development with Sherlock's father. He is sneaky so my guess is that he is deliberately leaving these clues for Joan so that she and Sherlock will investigate for him.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I am never quite sure what's going on with Sherlock's dad.  The actor plays it so well.

I think the covered up strippers are due to the fact that network TV still has far more restrictions on nudity.  I would have never recognized Tom Wopat if I hadn't seen his name in the credits and was looking out for him.

I truly love this show and the interactions between the regulars.  It's unlike almost anything else on TV.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think the covered up strippers are due to the fact that network TV still has far more restrictions on nudity.

I know that this is network TV, not HBO, but it made no sense that most of the girls in the club were wearing only bras and boy shorts, yet two of them were wearing long sleeves. I've seen teen characters on CW shows wearing less clothing than those two particular strippers! Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Sherlock -- if you say you smell cordite, why not mention how vanishingly unlikely that is?  Cordite has not been made in 70 years, and basically has not been used since before you were born.

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/cordite-putting-this-puppy-in-the-graveagain/

If you really had smelled cordite, it would have been a major clue.  Unfortunately too many writers and editors don't know the difference between cordite and gunpowder.

• Love 1

Man, coding and smart cares and strippers and international politics, oh my! This episode was all over the place. 

I am pretty much just here for the interaction between the main characters. Which are great. And I truly have no idea what the deal with Daddy Holmes is. Good? Bad? Grey? All three? No clue. I am just glad we are getting to see Noble be his awesome self, unlike some OTHER shows, that shall remain nameless *caughsleepyhallowcough* that had no idea how to correctly use him. 

• Love 3

Am I wrong or wouldn't Clyde suffocate in a fridge in real life?  Come on writers...besides, we didn't get to actually see him :(

Other than that I thought it was a good episode.  Once again I suspected the guilty party from his very first scene, he just seemed to have no serious purpose in the plot other than being a possible suspect.  Of course they don't let you figure it out until Sherlock does, which is fine.

I thought the ending presented quite the apparent twist about Sherlock's father.  Joan's deduction that he was wounded when a woman he was involved with was shot was a real unexpected ending....though of course there may be something else entirely on the horizon. I do think the preview for next week seemed to be giving away a lot but we'll see.

How much longer do we have to put up with Morland? His face looks too much like Herman Munster to me (especially the mouth), and it takes me out of the story. I'm a big PBS Sherlock fan. Elementary was recommended to me a few weeks ago. I'm finally caught up so this was the first episode I watched while it was airing. I'm glad to find something new to watch. 

Am I wrong or wouldn't Clyde suffocate in a fridge in real life?  Come on writers...besides, we didn't get to actually see him :(

The practice of hibernating reptiles, turtles, and tortoises in the refrigerator is actually common. Sherlock probably installed an air pump as well in there and left enough room for Clyde to move around in if he chooses. For more information, see this webpage.

A nice episode with lots of moments for Joan, Sherlock, Mason, Morland, and Fiona.

• Love 2

I had thought that Sherlock did pay his irregulars money. Didn't he say once that he kept petty cash around the brownstone for just that purpose?

Is there really such a thing as a cat cafe?  Do they also serve coffee? Do the customers pay by the hour to pet the cats? We have no-kill cat shelter nearby.  Volunteers sign up regularly to come in and "socialize" the cats. Is that what was going on here?

Where would Sherlock "exercise" with Minerva and Athena if not in his home? Did he go off and stage another crime scene?

Did Sherlock pay for that (modest) lap dance? I loved that scene, great acting on both their parts. Sherlock stayed in detective mode, and yet you could still see the waves of arousal he was keeping at bay.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

Is there really such a thing as a cat cafe?  Do they also serve coffee? Do the customers pay by the hour to pet the cats? We have no-kill cat shelter nearby.  Volunteers sign up regularly to come in and "socialize" the cats. Is that what was going on here?

Where would Sherlock "exercise" with Minerva and Athena if not in his home? Did he go off and stage another crime scene?

Did Sherlock pay for that (modest) lap dance? I loved that scene, great acting on both their parts. Sherlock stayed in detective mode, and yet you could still see the waves of arousal he was keeping at bay.

Yes cat cafes are becoming increasingly popular. Yes, they can serve food & drink as a normal cafe would. Additionally, patrons do pay a cover charge either flat rate or by the hour to socialize with cats.

We have seen Sherlock play with them elsewhere. Maybe he did recreate another crime scene. He probably also does not bring them home to the Brownstone very often because he's considerate of Joan. They could be very loud. TPTB noted that Sherlock does not have a proper bedroom and often sleeps in the room beside the kitchen which is a shared space in the home.

Haha. I do wonder if he paid. I'm sure he did because he is, as Fiona noted, very polite.

• Love 2

Whoa, I knew I knew Fiona (the coder) from somewhere but there was no way I would have placed her without google. The actress is named Betty Gilpin, and the last place I'd seen her was Nurse Jackie, where she played a blond bombshell doctor. She also has good comedic instincts.

The only issue I had was ... What was she doing to that cat? It didn't look like something a typical cat would put up with.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2

I could not stop giggling when John Ventimiglia's character a.k.a. the guy who played Artie Bucco on The Sopranos, admitted that he knew some "wiseguys."  No shit, Artie!

Mason is always entertaining.  It's always fun when one of Sherlock's Irregulars pops in to help out on a case.  The case itself was predictable, since I figured it had to be Josh Cooke.

I'm always amused by network TV versions of strip clubs.

It looks like they're setting up Fiona/Betty Giplin to be a recurring character.  And I can totally buy that there are places like cat cafes in the real world.  Nothing surprises me anymore: especially in NYC.

Have no idea what is going on with Morland.  Every time I think I figured him out, a new revelation about him appears.  I'm still leaning towards him not being full-fledged evil, but he clearly has done some things that have pissed a lot of people off.

The only issue I had was ... What was she doing to that cat? It didn't look like something a typical cat would put up with.

He! I noticed that too, it looked almost as if she was trying to detangle the cat's fur - which I would only do to a cat I know very well and not while talking to someone.

• Love 1
He! I noticed that too, it looked almost as if she was trying to detangle the cat's fur - which I would only do to a cat I know very well and not while talking to someone.

I noticed that too. I am assuming that these real/imaginary cafes must only put extremely docile cats on display. Otherwise, the liability insurance would be through the roof. My first thought when I saw the Fiona-mauling was "God, is that cat drugged?"  I don't want to know if they drugged all those cats so they would tolerate the camera.

I love the silence between Watson, Bell, and Gregson after Watson said that Sherlock's "friends" were really exercise partners.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

As a dog owner I was wondering if that would be a safe way to handle a cat. Even most dogs would be all, "Please stop. I hate this."

Tom Wopat wasn't the mastermind, I was shocked! He was the nearly unrecognizable guest star. (Yes, there were others, but I did eventually recognize him whereas I am not familiar with the others)

Is it wrong that I like Marcus's hair? 

It was a bit surprising that they dropped the ball on Sherlock paying his "consultants". That's how Joan found out about Moran--the Irregular came to the Brownstone for payment. 

I liked it better when Joan's hanging around the house clothes weren't all matchy-matchy and nice looking. That cozy dark red sweater, terry shorts and a t-shirt made her quite relatable.

And I was glad that it wasn't Fiona who concocted the plan. Greed is a far more believable reason.

• Love 1

Seriously, it was like she was kneading the cat like dough. It was all I could see.

(Cat owner. At least one of my cats is a sweetheart but even she would be like EW MOM WTF WTF WTF.)

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 3

It was so strange.  I mean, none of my cats would have stood for that.  None of the cats in the cafe seemed disoriented - a couple were clearly watching the camera in wide shots - and drugging animals on camera is an antiquated and controversial technique at this point.  I went back and watched again and the cat does meow at her in what seems to be a cautionary way, and she shifts her hands.  The cat switches position several time between cuts, looks around, and blinks.  Maybe it happens to like being petted on the breastbone.

• Love 2
None of the cats in the cafe seemed disoriented - a couple were clearly watching the camera in wide shots - and drugging animals on camera is an antiquated and controversial technique at this point.

I watched it again and agree with all of your observations.

Still, I wouldn't have minded seeing at the end of the credits: "No animals were harmed in the making of this episode." Just me.

• Love 3

Here in New York they definitely do have one of those cat cafes, as they are called. When it first opened it was booked up for months:

www.meowparlour.com

I love when this show gets the NY details right :)

• Love 1
"I did find it weird that Marcus specifically said, "You see sleeves on any of these girls?" when Sherlock was talking about the strippers, despite the fact that the very girl Sherlock had pointed out and used as an example was wearing sleeves. A black mesh shirt under a silver bustier is more like what someone would have worn to a 90s rave than as a stripper. There was also another stripper dancing on the stage in the background wearing long sleeves too. Most covered up strippers I have ever seen!"

I took it that Marcus was making a joke. As to a partially clothed stripper? Well, one has to have something to take off in order to strip. I guess we just caught her early in the process ;)

"Am I wrong or wouldn't Clyde suffocate in a fridge in real life?"

I frequently crab in the summer. When I catch too many to eat (or process to clean and freeze) all at once, and maybe have to wait a day or two, I put them in the crisper. I learned early on that they would suffocate if the fridge were not opened every 12 hours or so.

Sherlock's comment on the vagaries of nyc weather was oddly prescient. We have had crazy weather, mostly a quite warm fall and winter, yet we're predicted to have 1 to 2 foot of snow over the next few days.

"Joan's deduction that he was wounded when a woman he was involved with was shot was a real unexpected ending...."

That baffled me. Why are Joan and Sherlock so certain that Morland has been shot? Sherlock never guesses. There is no way to be sure that he was shot, or even to be fairly certain.

Besides, wouldn't someone as insanely rich and powerful as Morland have a private and very experienced doctor rssentially on call? Why would he need Joan?

Also, not for nothing, being shot with two hollow point bullets in the abdomen is going to do much more than make it difficult to eat. It will, in fact, kill you stone dead. I'm sure that I must have missed something that explains this.

Edited by basil
  • Love 1
"Joan's deduction that he was wounded when a woman he was involved with was shot was a real unexpected ending...."

That baffled me. Why are Joan and Sherlock so certain that Morland has been shot? Sherlock never guesses. There is no way to be sure that he was shot, or even to be fairly certain.

I also thought that Joan was putting together a lot of far-fetch guesses and rather hastily jumping to that conclusion. Wouldn't Sherlock, the man who noticed twelve distinct kinds of cat hairs on a sweater, already have figured out most of this about his father already if it were true? Of course, the show ended before we got Sherlock's full reaction.

I loved that Joan made her own Wall of Crazy, but maybe she should stick to the kind of detective work she does best.

She is, after all, as Fiona taught us, a Neural-typical.

Just saying.

Edited by MaryHedwig

I was confused about that, too, and also about why Morland would not tell Joan directly, and would prefer to hint about what he wanted her and Sherlock to figure out and do. I was very tired, so maybe I just dozed off at a critical moment of exposition, but what I gathered is that they figured out he was at the restaurant at the time of the shooting, realized he was the true target, and also that he didn't want to risk that information being exposed (to the police or the public). So perhaps his hinting was for plausible deniability.

As for being shot and not bleeding out or whatever, I suppose if he was merely grazed, or the bullets lodged in fat rather than organ, it could work. But it just seemed very strange.

Also, banking his blood reminded me a lot of Moriarty's disappearance, and that can't be entirely accidental on this show.

I first heard about cat cafes on The Amazing Race, which sent racers to one such place in, I think, Thailand. I think it's a wonderful idea and I would like to see cats at banks as well. Why not, after all? Really, anywhere with long lines would be improved by the presence of cats and dogs, or birds or other animals. Turtles as well. After all, as Clyde has proven, they can be very charismatic.

• Love 1

Cat cafes started in Japan, which I've always thought explains a lot.

I think they've set up Sherlock to be so blinded by his dislike and a lifetime of disappointing/being disappointed by his father that he doesn't pay close attention to him anymore. It's just Morland being annoying and inscrutable. Joan theorized from the 5 shell casings, but only 3 bullets in the dead woman, there was someone else present. That person was shot with the other 2 bullets. The pictures prove Morland was acquainted with her. So maybe a bit of a leap that he was the other person shot but his eating habits are consistent with someone who has a damaged stomach, possibly from bullets. And they were after Morland because he's Morland, maybe.

Nice callback to the source material, that Sherlock only considers food as fuel.

As for being shot and not bleeding out or whatever, I suppose if he was merely grazed, or the bullets lodged in fat rather than organ, it could work. But it just seemed very strange.

So maybe a bit of a leap that he was the other person shot but his eating habits are consistent with someone who has a damaged stomach, possibly from bullets.

None of this makes any sense to me. If Moreland was grazed (twice, no less!) they would have found the bullets. If they lodged in fat, why would it affect  his eating habits? Here's the thing about hollowpoint bullets. They are meant to expand mushroom-like and even sometimes fragment in order to cause maximum damage. This also tends to keep the bullet in the body it was intended for rather than go through and through and risk hitting someone else.

Wounds in the abdominal area with a hollowpoint are especially dangerous. There are so many organs that can be easily damaged, esp with a bullet intended to mushroom, fragment like shrapnel, or ricochet around inside the body. I don't see anyway Moreland could have survived, much less well enough to meet Joan twice. 

This would have to be a huge handwave for me. Moreland would be dead or incapacitated.

• Love 1

I do think the preview for next week seemed to be giving away a lot but we'll see.

That's why I try to avoid previews...

I love it thgat his "exercise partners" are both named for the Goddess of Wisdom .

I first heard about cat cafes on The Amazing Race, which sent racers to one such place in, I think, Thailand. 

Yep, it was Thailand.

• Love 1

Besides, wouldn't someone as insanely rich and powerful as Morland have a private and very experienced doctor rssentially on call? Why would he need Joan?

Given how secretive he is, it's possible he does this so that no one sees the whole picture. Also, if he was actually shot, he may not be certain who he can trust.

I don't see anyway Moreland could have survived, much less well enough to meet Joan twice

I would have to go back and check, but I thought the woman was shot at least 2 years ago, meaning Morland has had time to recover.  I don't think we were supposed to think he had just been shot recently. 

I laughed out loud when Sherlock told Joan that he lets Mason smell her hair while she sleeps.  Mason's reaction was great.

Ok, admittedly I don't think deeply about this show and I only ended up in the episode thread because of Betty Gilpin and the cat-kneading weirdness, but now you've all got me thinking:

Moreland explicitly invited Joan to a restaurant. He wanted her to notice his eating habits.

• Love 2
I would have to go back and check, but I thought the woman was shot at least 2 years ago, meaning Morland has had time to recover.  I don't think we were supposed to think he had just been shot recently

You are correct. I was conflating the two shootings (I knew I was missing something, thank you). I need to rewatch. So much confusion in this episode. Even if they are right (which is a HUGE leap of deduction), what should be so surprising that any number of people should want Moreland dead?

I feel for Tom Wopat. He must badly want to be in the TV game if he was willing to take that teeny, tiny part.

I have no idea what shooting they're theorizing Morland was hurt in. No recall on that event / episode at all -- shows how much I'm paying attention. Was hoping someone here would already have asked & answered!

I have no idea what shooting they're theorizing Morland was hurt in. No recall on that event / episode at all -- shows how much I'm paying attention. Was hoping someone here would already have asked & answered!

This is the first the supposed shooting has been mentioned on the show.  So you are as up-to-date on it as any of us:)  I guess it will all unfold in the coming episodes.

• Love 1

They are theorizing Moreland was shot about two years ago in Paris when a woman he was seemingly dating was shot and killed. There were five shell casings found at the scene but only three bullets recovered. This episode is the first time either the woman or shooting were mentioned and they are entirely unrelated to the case of the week.

• Love 1
This episode is the first time either the woman or shooting were mentioned and they are entirely unrelated to the case of the week.

Remember the other ominous information we got about Morland in a previous episode? Morland had threatened a former informant who wanted out (my best memory.) Was that informant stationed in Paris? Could these two stories be linked?

• Love 1
Artie Bucco as the head of the Longshoremen's union!

Based on the "recognizable guest star is usually the perp" logic, I was convinced that Artie Bucco was behind the murder!

Is there really such a thing as a cat cafe?  Do they also serve coffee? Do the customers pay by the hour to pet the cats?

Cat Town in Oakland was the first cat cafe in the United States (it opened in October 2014) but the first one in the world opened in Taiwan in 1998. There's also a raccoon cafe in Seoul, Korea.

I still can't believe that was Betty Gilpin. If someone had told me, before I saw this episode, that the blonde doctor from Nurse Jackie was going to be playing an autistic genius, I would have rolled my eyes like I've never rolled them before. But I have to say, she was quite good.

Given how secretive he is, it's possible he does this so that no one sees the whole picture.

I'd think telling your son's best friend - who's also a brilliant detective - that you're banking your own blood would be a really bad way of hiding your situation from him. After hearing about the blood thing, and watching Morland eat so strangely, Joan would have to suspect that he was either sick, in danger, or both.

• Love 1

I would have to go back and check, but I thought the woman was shot at least 2 years ago, meaning Morland has had time to recover.  I don't think we were supposed to think he had just been shot recently. 

I'm still confused.  When were the hollow point bullets mentioned?  If it was in connection with the shooting in Paris, it doesn't matter how long Morland had to recover -- he would have dead in a day or two if not on the spot.  Or were the hollow points mentioned in connection with another shooting?

I still can't believe that was Betty Gilpin. If someone had told me, before I saw this episode, that the blonde doctor from Nurse Jackie was going to be playing an autistic genius, I would have rolled my eyes like I've never rolled them before. But I have to say, she was quite good.

It was so odd, and she looked so different. I was initially hostile to the character on Nurse Jackie, because I felt they'd shoehorned her in so they could increase the 'boob' quotient on the show, but over time I came to respect the actress's skills and comedic timing. Now I'm hoping we see more of her here. 

Moreland is Up To No Good. He would never let anything just 'slip out' He's trying to lure Sherlock and Joan into volunteering to do what he wants them to do.

That's what I'm assuming, too. He seemed awfully eager to eat with Joan, as much as possible - presumably to make sure she noticed his strange way of eating.

I'm still confused.  When were the hollow point bullets mentioned?  If it was in connection with the shooting in Paris, it doesn't matter how long Morland had to recover -- he would have dead in a day or two if not on the spot.  Or were the hollow points mentioned in connection with another shooting?

At the very end of the episode, when Joan laid out her theory, she said that the recovered bullets were hollow points.

Edited by Blakeston