Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Murder Ex Machina

I still like the show, yet still believe the actors need to project more energy.

*Please note that I did NOT post that actors/characters should become frenetic or display frenzy.

More VIGOR was exhibited during the 1st season even among the varying levels of ancillary characters.

Edited by BookElitist

I still like the show, yet still believe the actors need to project more energy.

*Please note that I did NOT post that actors/characters should become frenetic or display frenzy.

More VIGOR was exhibited during the 1st season even among the varying levels of ancillary characters.

I hear what you're saying, but the show has (in my memory) always been low-key and soft-spoken. Often literally. (I remember straining to hear the dialogue in earlier seasons.) I've gotten to kind of like the quiet, calm demeanor. It makes the bigger moments a bit punchier, and is a nice contrast to some of the more overwrought (screamy, hyperviolent) shows I watch. 

That said, I do understand what motivates your post, I just don't think it's likely to change this late in the game. 

• Love 1

I hear what you're saying, but the show has (in my memory) always been low-key and soft-spoken. Often literally. (I remember straining to hear the dialogue in earlier seasons.) I've gotten to kind of like the quiet, calm demeanor. It makes the bigger moments a bit punchier, and is a nice contrast to some of the more overwrought (screamy, hyperviolent) shows I watch. 

I think this is a purposeful move.  In S1, Sherlock was a much jumpier character who talked quite fast and as the seasons passed, his character has become calmer.  JLM's Sherlock still talks very fast and he still makes his rapid fire deductions but I like that he's not so jumpy in his physical movements.

That being said, this episode felt like the case was filler to the big reveal that Morland was shot--DAMN!!

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 1

Okay.

I'm not referencing physical movement such as jerkiness and the like. I clearly addressed that idea in my above⬆ post. Also, I indicated that loud, overwrought, 'hyper' behavior was not needed nor desired.

The energy that emanates from the expressiveness of eye, brow,...including aura is 'thespian' appropriate and needed especially in a (somewhat)cerebrally driven program, and doesn't diminish nor destroy the ambience of: calm, soft-spoken, low-key,...

Yet, this energy does preclude projections such as: woodenness, flat effect, botoxed effect (albeit male or female), lacklustre visage,...

The Energy is not flamboyant, stressful, overwhelming, erratic, nor heavy--overwrought. But, a complexity does exist in one's ability to approach and demonstrate IT in restrained and subtle manners.

*(that^ said, I enjoy the program.)

Edited by BookElitist

Sherlock made a rather odd comment I noticed. When learning Joan was dining with Moreland, he said:  "I have one request. There are three surviving [bolding mine] Holmes men, and you've sampled the carnal ways of one. Two would be a pattern."

I infer from that that there was another brother, something like that? Seems to be an odd way to phrase it.

• Love 1

Rosebud, you needn't show yourself out. One of my favorite things is to watch for John Ventimiglia, who apparently is in every show everywhere as a cameo or a supporting character. I always shout, "Artie! Where's Charmaine?"  Get back in the kitchen, Artie. 

Sherlock made a rather odd comment I noticed. When learning Joan was dining with Moreland, he said:  "I have one request. There are three surviving [bolding mine] Holmes men, and you've sampled the carnal ways of one. Two would be a pattern."

I infer from that that there was another brother, something like that? Seems to be an odd way to phrase it.

I suppose from the way it was phrased, they have left the door open to that. My initial interpretation was merely that Moreland has no living male siblings, and his father (Sherlock's grandfather) is dead, and basically just that they don't have other living male relatives with the Holmes surname.

But it definitely leaves the sitch ambiguous re: mom.

Edited by theatremouse
I suppose from the way it was phrased, they have left the door open to that. My initial interpretation was merely that Moreland has no living male siblings, and his father (Sherlock's grandfather) is dead, and basically just that they don't have other living male relatives with the Holmes surname.

Yes, I'm probably over-thinking this. It just struck me as oddly specific, but then Sherlock often speaks in odd, sometimes stilted and nearly archaic sorts of ways.

I mean, who excuses himself to have a lap dance by saying "Would you forbear for a moment?"

I think this is a purposeful move.  In S1, Sherlock was a much jumpier character who talked quite fast and as the seasons passed, his character has become calmer.  JLM's Sherlock still talks very fast and he still makes his rapid fire deductions but I like that he's not so jumpy in his physical movements.

I agree that Sherlock's evolution is deliberate, either on the actor's part or the directors'. Perhaps both. I like that this show is low key and underplayed.

Speaking of love, how adorable was Joan's "Sleep tight" (or something like that) to Clyde as she closed the refrigerator door?

Edited by basil