Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville in the Media

They were baloney. 

She was not going to come back for additional episodes - I personally believe she's just not that good at being direct, which is unfortunate.  All that did was lead viewers who weren't happy with Rayna being killed off to think there was another way.  But what Marshall said, in the aftermath, was accurate - Rayna dying was the only option they had.  Connie wasn't coming back and the character couldn't and wouldn't go off and leave her family.  And off-screen visits and phone calls were just not going to work.

30 minutes ago, missbonnie said:

Charles Esten and Hayden Panettiere  just announced on Facebook live that Nashville has been picked up for a season 6. I am a happy camper. 

Me too!  And they'll be back June 1 to finish season 5.

I was very excited that CMT revived this show and brought it back.  But then it was awful.  I haven't watched since an episode before Rayna died, and I don't miss it.  Did it get any better?  (Disclaimer, Rayna was one of my favorite characters and I can't stand Juliette, so for those of you in the opposite camp, please don't give me the "yay, Rayna's gone" argument as to why it's better.)  I'm actually shocked that it was renewed for a sixth season.

25 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I was very excited that CMT revived this show and brought it back.  But then it was awful.  I haven't watched since an episode before Rayna died, and I don't miss it.  Did it get any better?  (Disclaimer, Rayna was one of my favorite characters and I can't stand Juliette, so for those of you in the opposite camp, please don't give me the "yay, Rayna's gone" argument as to why it's better.)  I'm actually shocked that it was renewed for a sixth season.

Well, since you are a fan of Rayna and not a fan of Juliette, the couple of episodes after Rayna's death are ok. It's not any worse and Charles Esten gets some excellent material, but it does center around Maddie and Scarlett, but that's been the case all season. Personally, how the rest of season 5 goes is going to determine my status with season 6. As of right now, it looks like I'll be tuning out after season 5, but only if the show continues to center around Maddie/Scarlett and teen/tween drama. There hasn't been a lot to excite me about this next half season, to be honest. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, since you are a fan of Rayna and not a fan of Juliette, the couple of episodes after Rayna's death are ok. It's not any worse and Charles Esten gets some excellent material, but it does center around Maddie and Scarlett, but that's been the case all season. Personally, how the rest of season 5 goes is going to determine my status with season 6. As of right now, it looks like I'll be tuning out after season 5, but only if the show continues to center around Maddie/Scarlett and teen/tween drama. There hasn't been a lot to excite me about this next half season, to be honest. 

Thanks, it sounds like maybe we have the same opinion.  Chip Esten is fantastic, and I like his portrayal of Deacon.  But, I can't stand the teen/tween stuff and Maddie is the worst.  Though I think the episode that sealed the deal for me quitting the show was the one centered around Daphne getting her period.  It's natural, it's something all us women go through - but I don't care to see it in a nighttime musical soap opera.  Stick to the good music and campy drama, please.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm actually shocked that it was renewed for a sixth season.

I'm not.  Putting aside issues of quality, I'm not surprised.  It does well for CMT. 

8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Did it get any better?

I don't think it got worse than earlier in the season.  There was some good post-death material.  And some stuff that could be awful.  And too much Maddie.  I'm undecided whether or not I'll watch a Season 6.  I am a Juliette fan but if she's going to play momanager to Maddie than I'm out.

• Love 2

I think CMT is very invested in the show.  Which is good, for the city as well as for the people employed by the show.

I actually had a bit of a hard time after the first episode - everything felt so slow to me.  Then I realized that was the point and that I had gotten so used to the 45 second scenes and the whiplash pace of the previous seasons that I needed a minute to get used to something different.  I'm not a fan of every storyline - I doubt anyone is for any show - but I'm fine with where they've landed.  I'm counting on there being more Juliette in the back half of season 5 - I really missed her - and I'm not as put off by Maddie being a focus as others seem to be.  I really don't see this becoming the Maddie Show, like others seem to believe - although if I turn out to be wrong, I'll admit it.  I think it's normal for Maddie to be a bigger part of the show - she's older now than when the show started and I think there's some story to mine for her around the fact that she never talked to her mom before she died, that she very nearly missed even being there when she died, and how that might change her.  I guess we'll see.

• Love 1
On 4/9/2017 at 5:40 PM, piratewench said:

Connie wanted completely out.  She wasn't in it for a reduced schedule. 

I feel bad about that for the fans who wanted her to stay, but from what I understand, the 9 episodes we got were a gift.

Perhaps you are right. I did get the impression from some of her interviews that she wanted to move back to LA and start something new, but that she did love the show. So I think there was perhaps a way to make arrangements. Money & other benefits talk, I think they could have worked something out if both sides were invested in making it work. No offense to CB, while I think she is talented and will land on her feet. I don't think there is an abundance of roles for female actors her age. Hollywood is getting better, but the cogs of change move slowly there.

However, I don't think that was the case. I think the showrunners saw that CB wanted out and were fine with that decision. I don't think they fought hard to keep her. They seem to be content with letting people go, rather than trying to convince them to stay. I hope their gamble works out for them.

Personally, I don't think killing her was the only option. Keep her alive and send her away from Nashville to find herself. Phone calls would have worked for me. Pay to have her do a few days of filming every now and then at some studio in LA for Highway 65 business. It could have been an option. Even if she never filmed another scene.

1 hour ago, kismet said:

However, I don't think that was the case. I think the showrunners saw that CB wanted out and were fine with that decision. I don't think they fought hard to keep her. They seem to be content with letting people go, rather than trying to convince them to stay. I hope their gamble works out for them.

Personally, I don't think killing her was the only option. Keep her alive and send her away from Nashville to find herself. Phone calls would have worked for me. Pay to have her do a few days of filming every now and then at some studio in LA for Highway 65 business. It could have been an option. Even if she never filmed another scene.

Nobody actually wanted Connie to leave.  But it really was her choice.  As hard as it is, she wanted out.  And she wasn't going to come back, so it wasn't a matter of paying her some money to come back and film a few scenes here and there.  I'm not just saying this as my opinion, but I have to leave it at that.

7 hours ago, kismet said:

No offense to CB, while I think she is talented and will land on her feet. I don't think there is an abundance of roles for female actors her age. Hollywood is getting better, but the cogs of change move slowly there.

Roles are unlikely to dry up for her in the next year or two, though.  While ratings for Friday Night Lights weren't great, her performance there turned her into someone who was celebrated as an actress of a certain caliber.  It's why she could come to Nashville and receive a producer's credit. In fact, it was revealed today that she was ABC's first choice to play Olivia Pope on Scandal.  She's also well liked by Ryan Murphy so there's his outlet. 

7 hours ago, kismet said:

Keep her alive and send her away from Nashville to find herself.

I guess I really don't see how this would work and keep her as the character we know her to be.   What happens when one of the girls gets hurt but Connie's unavailable due to other projects to film a scene where Rayna would be by their bedside?  Or if the girls get in trouble?  Or if there is a life event that calls for Rayna to be there with them?  Would she essentially abandon her family?  And then what about Deacon?  Unless they divorce, they are cutting off romantic stories for him. 

I see why fans might want it but logistically, in terms of storytelling and filming, I don't see how they can make it work given her prominence on the show. 

9 hours ago, piratewench said:

Nobody actually wanted Connie to leave.  But it really was her choice.  As hard as it is, she wanted out.  And she wasn't going to come back, so it wasn't a matter of paying her some money to come back and film a few scenes here and there.  I'm not just saying this as my opinion, but I have to leave it at that.

I can believe that, I'm just also saying that I don't think anybody really put up a fight for her to stay.

5 hours ago, kismet said:

I can believe that, I'm just also saying that I don't think anybody really put up a fight for her to stay.

Actually, I'm thinking that's why they got 9 episodes out of her.  They could have forced her to honor her contract, but worked out something agreeable to both.  Of course, none of us was in the room when all this went down, so we'll never know for sure.  The bottom line is that she wanted out; I don't think she wanted anyone to fight for her to stay.

• Love 2

We all have to make tough decisions in our lives, sometimes, it's scary, sometimes, it's sad, because we're torn.

As another poster said, we'll never know, for sure, but it sounds like see cared, a great deal, about the show, and had made some great friends, there.  At the same time, I got the feeling she felt she given everything to the character, that she could, that, there was no professional challenge for her, in staying.  

So do you stay and not really enjoy what you're doing, or, do you challenge yourself, once again, to try something new. It's so easy, to stay where you're comfortable, surrounded by people you enjoy, doing a job you know you can do; much tougher to take a leap, not knowing where you'll land. 

Making changes, moving forward, taking risks.  It's called living!  I'll miss her on the show, but, I wish her well.

p.s.:  Based on the character Rayna was, the relationships, in her life, I don't think, there was any reasonable way, short of her death, to write Connie out. There were moments, in the episodes leading up to her death, where, she made it clear to her family, she'd always be there for them. Hopefully, going forward, the knowledge of how much she loved them, would never have left, voluntarily, will comfort and strengthen them. 

11 hours ago, pattycat said:

So do you stay and not really enjoy what you're doing, or, do you challenge yourself, once again, to try something new. It's so easy, to stay where you're comfortable, surrounded by people you enjoy, doing a job you know you can do; much tougher to take a leap, not knowing where you'll land. 

Making changes, moving forward, taking risks.  It's called living!  I'll miss her on the show, but, I wish her well.

I agree with this 100%.  We've probably all been in situations like this.  If you think about any other kind of job situation, you could talk yourself into staying somewhere, because you like the people or you don't like change or you're just afraid to put yourself out there, even if you're not really challenged anymore.  Some people stay because of benefits or they like their boss.  It is hard to make that change and be honest with yourself about what you want to do next. 

It did sound like Connie liked her coworkers - they all had nice things to say about her - but it seemed so obvious - to me, anyway - at the end of S4 when the show was cancelled by ABC, that she was done.  She seemed happy.  And even though she said all the right things after CMT picked up the show, I never thought she seemed enthusiastic.  People like Chip and Clare and Sam and Chris were over the moon happy.  I think Hayden was still in treatment at that time, but she did seem glad the show had been picked up, once she was clear of that.  But Connie just didn't seem thrilled.

I feel bad for the fans who can't go on without Rayna on the show.  I don't think I've ever been so tied to a character on a show that I couldn't be interested in what comes after, but I know there are fans struggling with this.  But I even thought she looked happier and more at peace in those exit interviews she did after Rayna died, so I think it was the right move for her.  I believe that anything she said afterwards about having been willing to do whatever the show wanted didn't mean she was open to just coming back periodically forever.  I do believe she shut the door on it, but isn't that how we all are when we leave a job that we enjoyed?  Even if we are excited for what's next?  There's always a little nostalgia there and I think that's what she was expressing.

• Love 1

I would have preferred that if Connie was going to leave, they could have written her AND her daughters off the show. Have them move to France for a peaceful life out of the spotlight. Then we would be free of the daughters' storylines, which are consistently The Worst. Deacon could stay on the show and go back and forth, run the label in her absence and do his own music. Or maybe Deacon should leave too- what else is there left for him to do?

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, ZeroDiscipline said:

I would have preferred that if Connie was going to leave, they could have written her AND her daughters off the show. Have them move to France for a peaceful life out of the spotlight. Then we would be free of the daughters' storylines, which are consistently The Worst. Deacon could stay on the show and go back and forth, run the label in her absence and do his own music. Or maybe Deacon should leave too- what else is there left for him to do?

Hmm...  I disagree with every bit of that. 

On 4/24/2017 at 11:01 AM, ZeroDiscipline said:

I also disagree with all of this. 

I don't know Connie, at all, of course, but, I can't imagine, she would want her decision, to cost 3 other people their jobs.  Particularly, Chip Esten. A very attractive, talented guy, but, he's 51 years old.  I don't imagine roles are just being flung at you, at that age, and he seems to love the one he has! 

Also his family moving away, Deacon staying, and visiting, now and then , would have made no sense, character wise.  As their story was playing out, neither Deacon or Rayna would have remotely, been OK, with that! 

(edited)
On 4/26/2017 at 7:38 PM, pattycat said:

I also disagree with all of this. 

I don't know Connie, at all, of course, but, I can't imagine, she would want her decision, to cost 3 other people their jobs.  Particularly, Chip Esten. A very attractive, talented guy, but, he's 51 years old.  I don't imagine roles are just being flung at you, at that age, and he seems to love the one he has! 

Also his family moving away, Deacon staying, and visiting, now and then , would have made no sense, character wise.  As their story was playing out, neither Deacon or Rayna would have remotely, been OK, with that! 

It's like Matthew Crawley and Mary on Downton Abbey. Dan wanted to leave; the actress playing Mary didn't. Given that they had just had a baby, it wouldn't have made sense to send Matthew away.

As for Charles, yeah, he's 51 and honestly, this might be the only leading man role in a series he's going to get. When your best claim to fame is being a supporting player on Who's Line Is It Anyway, I can't see someone being that itchy to leave. Connie's different- she's pretty in-demand despite her age.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 24.4.2017. at 8:01 PM, ZeroDiscipline said:

I'm sorry if I'm late to your defense, but I agree with you. I'd rather have a show now where the girls are out than watching them getting more screen time about Rayna's death. I get how other posters can't see it working, but I think there are so many options. To me, the girls were always an addition to showcasing Rayna's character, so I have a problem with them going from recurring to main roles now. I'd rather have the producers introduce new young musicians who came to Nashville than seeing them deal with their youth issues. I will watch it until the show has run its course, but having Rayna die only made things worse and I feel like we're even further away from taking the show back to its roots.

• Love 4

Does anyone here know if Nashville is returning to CMT Canada?  I've been checking but haven't seen it on the schedule for this month at all.

Watch your emails, CMT is sending out Nash surveys again. Received and replied to one today. Lots of questions on favorites, who you want to see more or less of, best and worst episodes, potential plotlines.

Being me, there was a lot of shade tossed at Maddie. I compared her to a disease that couldn't be cured.

• Love 4
On 10/3/2017 at 3:16 PM, dbell1 said:

Being me, there was a lot of shade tossed at Maddie. I compared her to a disease that couldn't be cured.

Did you also mention that Daphne was the cure that's worse than the disease?

• Love 2

The survey asked if I wanted to see more of homeless street urchin!!! She was one of my "never" replies.

It wanted to know why I wanted to see less of Zack. They got another earful there. :D

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

The survey asked if I wanted to see more of homeless street urchin!!! She was one of my "never" replies.

It wanted to know why I wanted to see less of Zack. They got another earful there. :D

This really makes me wonder what they think the show is about, why would they think anyone wants to see more of the homeless street urchin? (whatever her name was). She has absolutely nothing to do with music, why would we be interested? Unless they're planning on doing the same thing they did with the bad marketing girl (whose name I also can't remember) & have her sing for no reason, which, I hope not. It's so stupid, what exactly do they think is going on?

• Love 1
On 7/18/2017 at 4:08 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hayden Panettiere taught Lennon and Maisy Stella how to cry:

It's a shame Hayden couldn't teach Lennon how to have more than 2 notes in her acting.

Edited to add: Okay, she's not Mischa Barton bad, but still. Way too much emphasis on someone who really doesn't have the acting chops to justify it. At Lennon's current age, Hayden was able to constantly bring it. Hell, she could do it when she was 11.

Edited by methodwriter85

Not surprised at all. From episode 1 this show struggled. Losing Connie was the beginning of the end. The schizophrenic writing, the dropped storylines, the lack of music, it was bad.

I was struggling to watch it this past season. Kind of happy it's ending. I'll never again have to hear older Stella sister sing or 'act'.

Hope the final episodes focus on Hayden, Jonathan, and Charles, with a massive dose of Chris Carmack.

• Love 3

Yeah.. I’m not surprised either. The move to cmt wasn’t a great one to begin with, except for giving us a good ending to Juliette’s story and not having her die in a plane crash. But aside from that, the move didn’t do much and when Connie was saying only 9 episodes, I knew it wouldn’t be able to keep going for long.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:34 PM, dbell1 said:

Not surprised at all. From episode 1 this show struggled. Losing Connie was the beginning of the end. The schizophrenic writing, the dropped storylines, the lack of music, it was bad.

I was struggling to watch it this past season. Kind of happy it's ending. I'll never again have to hear older Stella sister sing or 'act'.

Hope the final episodes focus on Hayden, Jonathan, and Charles, with a massive dose of Chris Carmack.

On the other hand, I won't be surprised if the current showrunners use Maisy for future projects. They tend to like awkward angsty tweens and teens.

My theory? Lionsgate needed Nashville to have a certain number of episodes for a good syndication deal, and that's why it was brought back for another 38 episodes by TNT. I remember reading one time that How I Met Your Mother's syndication deal would get sweeter if they made it to 110 episodes, which of course they did. I'm guessing that the magic number here was 120, and this final season will take it to a bit over at 124.

Honestly, it's pretty amazing this show managed to get 6 seasons. It's been a mess since season 2 when they started shoving Leyla down our throats.

13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Honestly, it's pretty amazing this show managed to get 6 seasons. It's been a mess since season 2 when they started shoving Leyla down our throats.

I so agree with you, and you are probably right about the syndication deal aswell. The move to CMT did nothing for the show. In fact, besides Juliette and Avery, they manage to ruin pretty much everything.

Anyone wants to put any money on a Scunnar reconcilliation in the final episode?

• Love 1
On November 19, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Aulty said:

Anyone wants to put any money on a Scunnar reconcilliation in the final episode?

Oh yeah, that will definitely happen, but only during the final episode because they never figured out how to write for S/G as a couple. Obviously also why they didn't get back together until the final ABC episode (and have been a mess since).

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:05 AM, methodwriter85 said:

At Lennon's current age, Hayden was able to constantly bring it. Hell, she could do it when she was 11.

Hayden was bringing it at 5 when she played Sarah Roberts on OLTL!

• Love 2

i watched the trailer. Yeaaaah, that looks....bad. All I see is a lot of ridiculous drama, & no music. I'll try to watch because I don't want to quit now, but I have a feeling it's going to be a hate watch. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GaT said:

i watched the trailer. Yeaaaah, that looks....bad. All I see is a lot of ridiculous drama, & no music. I'll try to watch because I don't want to quit now, but I have a feeling it's going to be a hate watch. 

Aside from Juliette’s plane crashing, I’m always wondering why this show couldn’t have just been over when ABC cancelled it. I personally don’t think CMT did anything for it. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

I don't understand why they think everyone has to be miserable all the time for a show to be dramatic. This show is depressing to watch at this point. I'm not sorry this is the last year.

Yeah. It used to be a fun soapy thing and then it got way serious. More serious then ever. And then it got hard to watch when life intimated art with Hayden(I remember feeling really uncomfortable during her whole arc that one year) and then the move to CMT didn’t lighten things up. It only gave more dramatic stories and a lotof them to the teenagers of the show.

• Love 2