Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville in the Media

The whole gang is going to give their final U.S. performance together in March at the Grand Ole Opry here in Nashville.  And I've got tickets, front and center!  I've been fortunate to work with every single one of them (and lots of others!) as an extra so it will be great fun seeing them one last time.  I hope our 3 boys sing together and Deacon can absolutely join them.  I even wish Will would come back.

• Love 1

I'M GOING TO USE CHARACTERS' NAMES BECAUSE IT'S EASIER FOR ME, AND I'M ALL ABOUT BEING EASY.

Sunday I got to see the cast at their farewell tour at the Grand Ole Opry here in Nashville.  It was (with a couple of exceptions) a fantastic 2-1/2 hour standing room only show that the crowd loved!  Loved, as indicated by earth-shattering applause and whooping and hollering at the performances.  There was Deacon, Avery, Gunner, Will, Scarlet, Maddie, Daphne, Allanah (is that her name?  sings with the boys), Jesse (Deacon's new girlfriend, right?), Jonah (the boy singer who likes Maddie?) and the PTSD-suffering vet at the horse farm whose name is totally out of my realm of memory/knowledge.  I apologize for not being up with the names of these new people, but I just don't care about them.

Deacon sang a few solos (I wish  he'd sang more) and, of course, with the entire cast.  He was so personable and grateful for his time on the show and especially, he kept saying, to the Nashies and the City of Nashville.  He was absolutely wonderful and came across as the "Daddy" of the group.  He was very friendly and at one point, he and Scarlet came into the crowd to shake hands, give out hugs, and take selfies as they sang.  I loved every minute Chip was on stage, as did the audience.  I'm so glad he'll be staying here in Nashville to further his career in music.  He and his family have totally enmeshed and ingratiated themselves into the community and are very active in events and causes all over town.   I plan to see him every opportunity I have, which is quite a bit, as he plays around town all the time.  I love you, Deacon and I love you, Chip! 

Avery, Gunner, and Will each sang a couple of solos and, HAPPILY FOR ME!!, several songs together then a couple of songs with Allanah, who I honestly didn't mind.  The Last Highways (don't like that name) didn't disappoint.  They rocked the house to the rafters.  How I wish they were a real group and would perform together all the time (minus the girl).  One of Avery's solos was "Unchained Melody" which is absolutely phenomenal and garnered a standing ovation.  If you haven't heard him sing this song, go to YouTube; it's well worth the visit.  The boys were obviously having so much fun, and it made me smile watching them.  Will and Gunner were quite talkative and funny, but Avery, as usual, was mostly silent except for singing.  I've seen him on stage before and he's never been one to interact much with the audience.  

And I have to tell this story because I know a LOT of people on this forum will appreciate it.  Will was on stage and introduced his "best friend" (in real life they're best friends too) and Gunner came out and KISSED WILL SMACK DAB ON THE LIPS!!!  The crowd went crazy!  Will said, "I know you've been waiting 6 years for that!!"

Gunner's parents came all the way over from England to see the show.  Yes, I'm sure they're here to do other things as well, but Gunner made a point of mentioning that.  I know he's from Australia, but I guess his parents are living the England now.  In fact, everybody's families were there.  Callie Khouri was in the house too and Deacon brought her on stage.

Scarlet is weird.  She looked like a fairy in a white flouncy dress and wore long feathers in her hair and was sparkly all over and, as usual, barefooted.  Yes, she did that Elaine Benes-esque dancing all over the stage and kicked up her legs and while she was extremely talkative and quite lovely, she's also ditzy.  But I enjoyed her and I like her singing voice.  Her husband accompanied her on guitar when she sang her solos. 

The Stella sisters.  I wish I liked them, but I just don't.  First of all, whoever dressed Daphne should be shot.  The dress she wore was a horribly drab grayish-brown color that was clingy and didn't do her body any favors.  I like her personality, but her singing makes me want to barf.  She sang two solos and I swear to the universe, I maybe understood 5 words out of both songs.  They were slow and draggy and blech.  I like Maddie even worse.  A lot worse.  I doubt I understood a single word out of her mouth, and that's no exaggeration.  Her songs were also slow and draggy and mournful.  She had on a TON of make-up and looked like she was in her late 20's, which I'm sure would make to happy to hear, but I wasn't impressed.  She also sang 2 solos, then the girls sang 2 songs together.  I was so glad when they were off the stage.  Of course, they sang in the group songs, but I couldn't actually hear them then so that was ok.

Jonah (?), the boy singer, sat on a stool and sang one song, which was plenty.  He said his heart was beating out of his chest and he really did look nervous.  Again, and maybe this is a thing with singers their age, I couldn't understand a word out of his mouth.  It's all mumble mumble mumble.

PTSD vet also sat on a stool and I enjoyed his song.  Like the girls, though, it was mournful and slow and just seemed to go on forever.

When Deacon introduced Jesse he said she's taken a lot of shit (he didn't say shit) on social media from people thinking she's trying to replace Rayna.  He went on about it and asked the Nashies to please (his emphasis) give her a polite welcome.  Well, the crowd did, applauding like mad, and I'm sure that made Deacon happy.  I wasn't a fan of Rayna's so I don't mind Jesse at all.  I like her.  She sang one song and was scared to death.  Obviously, she's not a singer but I gave her the benefit of the doubt.  When she finished she said, "I'm so glad that's over!" which made me smile.

At the end of the 2-/1 hours the entire cast sang "I Live A Life That's Good" and the audience was singing along and I'll admit, it brought tears to my eyes.  It was very emotional for the performers and the audience as well.  

It was a great show and I'm so glad I got to see it.  I'd been looking forward to it and it didn't disappoint.  I came in here to just tell the story about Will and Gunner kissing, but decided to add a little more.  If anybody has any questions about the show, please feel free to ask.  

• Love 7

I was at the show Sunday also and you did a really good job with your recap. 

I enjoyed the Stella sisters, Maisy more than Lennon, I will admit. I loved that when they opened the show they did Eli Young Band’s ‘Even If It Breaks Your Heart’, which was the song they opened the series to. Such a goosebump moment!

I wanted more Deacon, but I appreciated that everyone got a turn. He really got emotional several times - you can tell how much this show and this experience has meant to him, which I so appreciate. LOVED what he said when he introduced Kaitlin and how appreciative she was. 

It was a great farewell and I was so glad to be there. By the way, Callie Khouri was sitting just a couple rows in front of us, until she went backstage. 

Oh, and the PTSD character is Sean. I met him the first night of the Deacon at the Franklin shows. Very nice guy. And Sam (Gunnar) is from England, not Australia. ;-)

Edited by piratewench
  • Love 1

Thanks for your comments about the show, PirateWrench.   I always enjoy another perspective  and we're pretty much in agreement about everything except the Stellas.  I thought it was sweet, how appreciative Kaitlin was.  You could tell she was terrified to sing on stage.

I was certain Gunnar was from Australia, but you're right, England.  Scarlet is from Australia, right? 

I've often wondered why the cast didn't do any full shows like this in Nashville before.  I know individual performers show up around town, but you would think they would all do this type of show together.  At least we got this one.

Next time give me a wave!  :-)

Thanks so much slasherboy and piratewench for the recaps.  By the time I had talked myself into going to Nashville for the show, it was sold-out.  I especially appreciate hearing about the Kaitlin introduction.  On Twitter there were endless arguments between Nashies and RealNashies, which in Twitter verse is evidently those who have chosen to continue liking the show without Rayna (Nashies) and those who must at all times hate on Kaitlin, the actress who portrays her and anyone who says one good word about Kaitlin and Deacons relationship (the so-called Real Nashies) or that could be the other way around ; )  From the little I followed on the twitter threads, I was so afraid that some of the crowd booed Kaitlin and am very glad to hear that did not happen. 

(edited)

You're quite welcome, seewillrun.  I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Could you give me the Twitter link to the Nashies and RealNashies arguments?  I'd like to see what they had to say.

I never had a problem with Deacon and Jessie; in fact, I think it's realistic that he would want to be with a woman again in a romantic way.  He's still young and surely wants to be in another relationship.

I, too, was glad she wasn't booed.  After Deacon kept on about how there was so much hate online (although he never said "hate"), I was afraid that would happen  and I don't want my hometown represented that way.  The reception they gave her was literally the opposite ... everyone roared with applause and cheers of welcome and acceptance, both before and after her song.  It made me happy and I'm sure it made her and Deacon happy as well.

The instant the tickets went on sale I was online to get them because I knew it would be sold out in a flash, and it was.  My sister and I went together and we couldn't even get seats with each other.  That wasn't a problem as we were there to enjoy the show and not talk.

Now, unless you go to the UK, you'll never see them together again.  Sad.

Edited by slasherboy

I do know Clare’s going on tour with Sugarland. And JJ is continuing on with his band Enation. No clue on the rest. I think Chip wants to continue with music to at least some degree, which is why he’s staying in Nashville. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

This is only an opinion, but Chip needs to be on Whose Line more often...

Has he been on the new Whose Line at all??? Damn! I was wanting that to happen so much, I want to see it!

• Love 1
On 5/2/2018 at 12:15 AM, auntiemel said:

Has he been on the new Whose Line at all??? Damn! I was wanting that to happen so much, I want to see it!

He was, sometime last year. He was supposed to have been in a second episode but I never heard whether it got aired or not. 

• Love 1

So, I was watching the Memorial Day Concert on PBS last night, and who started off the program?  Chip (Charles) Esten!  He sang a song that I had not heard before, so I don't know the name, and came back on stage at the end with all of the other cast mates.  I hope that he continues to get offers.

• Love 1

This is cool.  Chip Esten is performing "the songs of Deacon Claiborne" at one of the local venues here in Nashville on Thursday, July 26th.  After his show, he'll stay and watch the series finale on a big screen with everyone who came to hear him sing.  Not surprisingly, it's sold out.  I'm so glad he'll still be around.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, slasherboy said:

This is cool.  Chip Esten is performing "the songs of Deacon Claiborne" at one of the local venues here in Nashville on Thursday, July 26th.  After his show, he'll stay and watch the series finale on a big screen with everyone who came to hear him sing.  Not surprisingly, it's sold out.  I'm so glad he'll still be around.

Actually he's doing that show in Boston.  I know a bunch of people who are attending.  Sadly, work is preventing me from going.

(edited)

I really like Deacon and I came to like him even more after what they did with Juliette and her lack of presence. I envy you guys for being able to see him perform live! Hopefully, he will do something big with his music, because I know I would be at loss had I not watched the show. He deserves wider audience because of his talent. Whether that happens or not, Im glad he is pursuing music reagrdless of having a label. Hope that makes sense since English isnt my first language. Can't believe there's only one episode! I'm gonna miss the show even though it's ruined.

Edited by EuropeanGirl
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/20/2018 at 3:26 PM, deacondahling said:

That was interesting. They are both beautiful girls; I hope someone, other than whoever styled her these last two seasons on Nashville, helps Lennon with her look going forward. I'm glad to see Maisy is going to pursue acting, but I hope she doesn't give up on music entirely. I think she is the far better singer of the two (and the better actor as well). They  seem like nice kids and I wish them both all the success they desire.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
On 3/27/2018 at 2:30 PM, slasherboy said:

maybe this is a thing with singers their age, I couldn't understand a word out of his mouth.  It's all mumble mumble mumble.

It's not a generational thing. It's a "not having a voice teacher who insists on proper diction and pronunciation" thing. There are plenty of singers under the age of 20 who aren't mumbly or marble mouthed!