Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville in the Media

1 hour ago, Fisher King said:

The awesome chemistry that Juliette/Avery produced was a golden moment for the show, but noooooo, that lasted all of two seconds. Then Rayna & Deacon FINALLY cement their lifelong bond & have their perfect family & all's right with the most pivotal players, but hell nooooo, let's make a normally decent teenager turn her into The Bad Seed with shades of Carrie. Maybe we'll still get buckets of pig's blood before the finale.

This show also reminds me of that ABC series "Brothers & Sisters" - phenomenal cast (Sally Field, Matthew Rhys, Rachel Griffiths, Calista Flockhart, Rob Lowe)  with unlimited potential, but the writing was so preposterous that it quickly became unwatchable.

I will miss all my fellow posters here. We all liked the things that were really good & we all drove off the cliff together. 

Your car avatar is oddly appropriate.

Yeah, this was a show that - despite the writing, not because of it - managed to produce three iconic OTPs. People loved Deacon and Rayna. People loved Scarlett and Gunnar. People loved Juliette and Avery. (In order of introduction.) The kind of sparks these six managed to produce were off the charts.

The show managed to turn them all into a dumpster fire and now they're going to have it cancelled while said dumpster fires are still burning.

• Love 8

Kinda funny how they  managed to make an entire article all about a tweet that really didn't say anything. Other than a low-key admission that "yeah, the storytelling kinda sucked."

On 5/14/2016 at 10:27 PM, AnnaRose said:

Was Connie or anyone else threatening to refuse to work in TN, if they got another season, because of that?  I'm not sure I get how it was potentially affecting the show.

ETA: I did read that Connie said she was uncomfortable working in TN, but I thought I read that she outright refused to if it continued - like that the show would have to move production.  Am I dreaming that?

The way I read her comments were as a direct threat. She said it was the "only way to make her voice heard." To my surprise, some of the other actors have put down roots and are staying. But even before the counseling bill, I always got the feeling that Connie didn't really want to be here. Or maybe those were just rumors.

The media has been pretty quiet about the cancellation. What I do see is a lot of people complaining that the returns from the show didn't justify the financial breaks that the city made. And any returns weren't worth attracting so many tourists and disruptions "over a lame soap opera."

• Love 1
On 15 May 2016 at 11:41 PM, Telepath said:

Kinda funny how they  managed to make an entire article all about a tweet that really didn't say anything. Other than a low-key admission that "yeah, the storytelling kinda sucked."

She's right about that. I'd love to hear what she said behind the scenes.

Clickbait "article" that's just rehashing the two things we already know: four or five different outlets have approached Lionsgate about taking the show, and the cast members are still under long-term contracts. When there's real news, it'll be splashed all over legit sites!

• Love 1

Even with all the complaining I've done about this show, I didn't actually want it to end (last time I felt like this about a show, it was Smash, which did end too soon). If it comes back, I'll watch.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't want the show to go on for multiple seasons because putting its quality in the latter seasons aside, I've always thought shows should never go past 6 seasons tops. In my opinion, at that point, the writers have told all the stories they're going to tell with these characters and then it just starts getting really, really stupid. But all that being said, I think they deserve a decent farewell season, to have time to really complete all the characters' stories and I don't think they had that.

The last episode felt like a season finale, not a series finale and that's probably because while the show was on the bubble yes, it's clear the writers thought ABC's bringing on the new writers was a very positive sign the show would be getting a Season 5. So  I do think it will be nice if they get a chance to wrap things up properly. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I'm glad that it may continue. It can only get better with the new team. The old guys seemed to have lost their minds . Maybe there won't be budget for Cash, Frankie and all the other unnecessary bunch.

• Love 3

I think the reaction of some fans will reflect their age.  thirtysomething aired around the time I was in college.  I was not a regular watcher, but it was groundbreaking for its time.  Lots of buzz.  Now, I don't think that Nashville can suddenly morph into thirtysomething, but I'm very curious to see what its creators can do with my guilty pleasure.  I hope those plans include landing Juliette's plane safely and some on-screen consequences for Maddie.

(last time I felt like this about a show, it was Smash, which did end too soon). If it comes back, I'll watch.

If Smash were to ever come back (which I know will not happen), I'd watch.

• Love 1

I don't know if I'm going to watch if it gets picked up. I think I might really be done. It might depend on who comes back, I'm kind of ride or die on Juliette, the show was bad without her this season so, we shall see.

• Love 4

...and another tidbit from Variety.

I'm hopeful that Herskovitz and Zwick can change things up a bit. Was a big fan of thirtysomething back in the day (and to a lesser degree Once And Again and My So-Called Life).

• Love 1
(edited)

'Nashville' Close to Inking Deal With CMT

However, the article does contain the following:

The news for fans may not be all good, however. Sources close to the show tell Rolling Stone Country that Connie Britton (Rayna Jaymes) and Hayden Panettiere (Juliette Barnes) may not join their castmates in the move to CMT.

ETA:

Ausiello just posted

Question: You hinted that Nashville might lose a few cast members during its likely transition from ABC to CMT. Care to be more specific? —Danielle
Ausiello: I do not care to be, actually. Suffice it to say there would likely be some belt tightening if and when the show moves to CMT.

Edited by Ohmo
Added information

Happy camper here that it got picked up.

Me too.  And even happier that it will still stream on Hulu as I cut the cord a couple of years ago. 

I'm kind of ride or die on Juliette

Same here so I hope Hayden is able to return.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I'll likely watch.  I still like the Avery and Will characters.  And though I would have never thought this to be the case before this season, I came to like Luke Wheeler, especially the last 3-4 episodes.

• Love 3

Question: You hinted that Nashville might lose a few cast members during its likely transition from ABC to CMT. Care to be more specific? —Danielle
Ausiello: I do not care to be, actually. Suffice it to say there would likely be some belt tightening if and when the show moves to CMT.

If Layla is one of the people staying, I'm getting stabby.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GaT said:

If Layla is one of the people staying, I'm getting stabby.

I'm sure that Layla has her fans, but in the course of reading lots of articles about this situation, she is the most mentioned character I've seen whom people seem willing to part with for the sake of the move.

• Love 1

I might actually have to get around to getting Hulu.... There is no way I can get CMT. And I don't think I have the patience to wait for the DVDs.

I'm not sure how they will retool the show. But I really hope they find a way to keep Connie & Hayden as a part of the show.

If they keep Layla crazy, I could keep her. However, I don't want her redeemed again. She needs to go full tilt whackadoodle and stay far FAR away from Avery.

• Love 3
(edited)

Looks like I'm gonna start watching CMT. Nashville's revival is great news and Hershkowitz & Zwick's involvement in the show will hopefully make it better. 

I want all the main characters to come back, but Layla has got to go. I don't want her near this show nor near Avery and Cadence ever again. Will & Kevin are more useful than Layla. Hell, Maddie's more useful. Not much more, but more.

Funny enough, I'd rather keep Cash than Layla. And Cash is horrible. They were acting under similar motivations, manipulating people while under an illusion of doing the right thing. But Cash was seen as a villain while Layla is supposed to be sympathetic even after everything she did. Nope.

Not me. More Cash=More Frankie and I don't even want to hear either character's name again, lat alone see either one of them.

Edited by DollEyes
To add stuff.
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Looks like I'm gonna start watching CMT. Nashville's revival is great news and Hershkowitz & Zwick's involvement in the show will hopefully make it better. 

I want all the main characters to come back, but Layla has got to go. I don't want her near this show nor near Avery and Cadence ever again. Will & Kevin are more useful than Layla. Hell, Maddie's more useful. Not much more, but more.

I believe Maddie could be redeemed with some solid and careful writing. It'll take time, but it can be done. I'm not sure what they could do with Layla that would ever make her rootable again. Maybe they'll take that as a challenge to see what they can do with her, but she's a waste of screentime as far as I'm concerned. 

Funny enough, I'd rather keep Cash than Layla. And Cash is horrible. They were acting under similar motivations, manipulating people while under an illusion of doing the right thing. But Cash was portrayed as villain while Layla is still supposed to be sympathetic even after everything she did. Nope. 

5 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

Funny enough, I'd rather keep Cash than Layla. And Cash is horrible. They were acting under similar motivations, manipulating people while under an illusion of doing the right thing. But Cash was portrayed as villain while Layla is still supposed to be sympathetic even after everything she did. Nope. 

As far as villains go, I'd actually go with Autumn (as a recurring character).  She's comparable to Juliette, Rayna, and Luke in that she's a "name."  She heads her own tour, and therefore is a more plausible villain because she can do her deeds on multiple levels.  She's close enough in status to Juliette, Rayna, Luke, and Deacon that she could mess with them.  She's already been messing with Scarlett and Gunnar, so that connects Autumn to characters that are beneath her in status.  Autunm's like Jeff in that she's able to wreck lots of havoc to many people and have it be plausible.  Layla has wrecked havoc with Avery, but she has no power over Rayna.  Cash has wrecked havoc with Rayna, but Juliette's already got Cash's number because she's talked to Rayna and sent Glenn to help Maddie.  Deacon would very likely tell Scarlett about Cash, so no one in the Scarlett/Gunnar/Avery circle would trust her.  OTOH, it hasn't yet dawned on Gunnar that Autumn was trying to undermine the Exes.  I don't like Autumn, but that's the point of a villain.  She's already been established as one, so I'd quit wasting time trying to do anything else with Cash or Layla.  They can both easily go.

• Love 2

I want more songs from Aubrey Peeples, but I would not miss Layla as a character. I liked her up until recently and hoped she'd grow up and catch a break (nothing good ever happened to that girl), but recently it's just been too much. The writers ditched any subtlety they had going on with her when they had her so blatantly lying to (and trying to manipulate) Avery and Glenn.

I hope there's more music next season. More music and more music business stuff, less soapy romantic relationship stuff. No love triangles, please.

• Love 3
On 6/10/2016 at 9:48 PM, Ohmo said:

I'm sure that Layla has her fans, but in the course of reading lots of articles about this situation, she is the most mentioned character I've seen whom people seem willing to part with for the sake of the move.

I don't think she's going anywhere. She's part of the main cast, she's got a contract (unless those are void with the move) and her other "acting" opportunities seem to have crashed and burned. However, I definitely don't expect her to hog the screentime and songtime to the extent she did in season four.

The after-show idea is great. For CMT, this will be their highest rated show and it's definitely a show that can carry an after-show with some performances, interviews, local talent and the like. The more I read about CMT's plans for the show the happier I get.

56 minutes ago, Clemgo3165 said:

I like the idea of an after show, but I'd prefer fewer cast interviews and more in-depth on the music, songwriters, and musicians.

That's a good idea. I always found the Behind the Nashville specials, whether it was on the songwriting or the concert to be fascinating and cool. I think if you highlighted the music element of the show, it really would be wonderful.

• Love 1

I don't watch The Walking Dead, so the whole idea of an after-show is new to me.  I wouldn't want the entire after show to be about the music.  I come from the segment of the Nashville audience that has zero musical talent (Probably less than zero, actually.)  I'm appreciative of the musical talent that these very creative people have that I do not, but honestly after about 2 songwriter interviews during each of the show's specials, I'm good.  Then I go from appreciation to straight boredom.  Musically, my Nashville experience boils down to "I like that song" or "I don't like that song."

Since Nashville is a musical show, obviously the after show should contain music.  However, I'd also like some content that nods toward the story or back stage, such as information that one might hear during a DVD commentary.  "During this scene, X happened" or "We had to cut Y scene from this episode because..."  If the after show is only a concert or a study on songwriting, I doubt that I'll watch it regularly.

• Love 1

I feel like Will Chase will come back as a guest sometime. He fricking loves being Luke Wheeler, and if he has a break from the Broadway show, or it closes, he would love to show off in Nashville. Layla should stay away forever though.

I actually wonder if Layla will be a tragic death to start the season off....

I can see Luke coming back to guest whenever the actor is free, but I can't see Layla fitting into a guest role and they are going to need drama somewhere.

5 hours ago, kismet said:

I actually wonder if Layla will be a tragic death to start the season off....

I can see Luke coming back to guest whenever the actor is free, but I can't see Layla fitting into a guest role and they are going to need drama somewhere.

As much as I'd love to watch Layla put a gun in her mouth and blow her brains out, I don't think that's likely with the new people running the show. It sounds too much like a Dee Johnson soap move.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised by Aubrey appearing now and then on the show. She's got a decent voice so if they only use her for that and keep her acting material simple and limited, it could work. However, I really don't want it.

• Love 1

This show will be moving to a network where it'll have half the episodes per season and half the budget. They won't have the time nor money to shoehorn exiting characters into it. If they show up at all, I'll be very surprised.