Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville in the Media

If it gets renewed for even a half season I will promptly be taken to the ER in an extreme state of shock.

Their big ally at the network "respectfully resigned" and the new lady is said to be on the same page as Ben Sherwood with wishes to turn ABC more procedural and less soapy.

Pair that with beyond tanking ratings (that I assure you will only get worse with upcoming storylines) and dwindling income from the music and there's just no reason to keep it around.

I hate what the show has become. It hurts my heart because I loved it so much and it had SO. MUCH. potential, but I think it's time to let it go. Release the actors before this becomes too big of a stain on their resumes.

• Love 3

I hate what the show has become. It hurts my heart because I loved it so much and it had SO. MUCH. potential, but I think it's time to let it go. Release the actors before this becomes too big of a stain on their resumes.

I couldn't agree more. I was this show's biggest fan early on. Its potential was endless. I don't mind a little soap but there has to be some sensible consistency in the core relationships for a show to work. The acting remains stellar but that's not enough when the plots become ludicrous. Maybe this long break will be the band-aid it's needed.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 1

Interesting news from TVLine.

TV vets Marshall Herskovitz and Ed Zwick (My So-Called Life, thirtysomething) have inked a deal to take over as Nashville‘s new showrunners in the very likely event ABC renews the bubble drama for Season 5, TVLine has learned exclusively. The duo would replace current showunner Dee Johnson, who is expected to depart at the conclusion of Nashville‘s current fourth season.

• Love 5

Very interesting. Thanks for linking that, Percysowner! I am a fan of everything Herskovitz/Zwick have done & they can certainly redirect this the show to the potential that it briefly flirted with but could not maintain. I'm concerned that the high budget will be the main roadblock to getting another season.

This gives me a glimmer of hope for not only renewal, but also for the show itself.

Out the soap and in with something better, please. Immediately.

I did not think I'd be seeing this kind of news. I'm floored.

• Love 5

When I saw activity in this thread, honestly, I was hoping it had been canceled. I only saw the last 10 minutes of the most recent episode and don't think I'm going to bother watching what I missed. But I'm glad to hear new showrunners will be coming in for season 5. I want to like this show again!

"This gives me a glimmer of hope for not only renewal, but also for the show itself. "

Second.

Truth be told, had things continued as they have been for the past three years, cancellation would have been just fine by me. One less exercise in frustration and futility. I like the first season a lot, when it looked (at least to me) as though the story would be built around the rivalry/frenemy relationship between Rayna and Juliet. Having that relationship as the centerpiece would have made that show far more cohesive that what it's turned into.

Zwick/Herskowitz shows tend to have relatively (pun intended; that one's on my brillant, but cancelled list) small casts and drill deep into the relationships among characters, so I'm very hopeful.

• Love 2

"This gives me a glimmer of hope for not only renewal, but also for the show itself. "

Second.

Truth be told, had things continued as they have been for the past three years, cancellation would have been just fine by me. One less exercise in frustration and futility. I like the first season a lot, when it looked (at least to me) as though the story would be built around the rivalry/frenemy relationship between Rayna and Juliet. Having that relationship as the centerpiece would have made that show far more cohesive that what it's turned into.

It would have been fine with me as well. As a matter of fact, I was actively hoping for it. I'm hoping the very first thing they do is prune some characters, like kariyaki said. My hope would be that Layla and Luke would go so they could focus on the main six.

I mean, honestly, at the end of the season, this show would have 86 episodes, pretty close to the magic "88" marker that seems to the ideal syndication package, so yeah, I'm shocked if they did keep this around and not just end it like they did with "Revenge".

I still honestly think they should reduce the budget and move the show to TNT if they're invested in keeping this going beyond a short 5th season that would take this to 100 episodes.

This isn't exactly Nashville in the media...more like how Nashville will be affected by the media.  Given the Castle news, I'd guess that Nashville's renewal chances just improved by a bunch.

I so agree with everything in this article. If Nashville is renewed it must be because of the value of the franchise or because of other shows being even worse. It's nothing to do with it being even half way good TV - this season is a terrible litany of missed opportunities and ridiculous storylines. But if it IS renewed hopefully the current train wreck will be redeemed. If anyone is watching by that point.

• Love 4

It's a nice and very lovely sentiment but I can't really say I'm a fan of the arrangement. Prince is one artist whose music I would say should leave the twang and borderline Elvis impersonations at the door.

I so agree with everything in this article. If Nashville is renewed it must be because of the value of the franchise or because of other shows being even worse. It's nothing to do with it being even half way good TV - this season is a terrible litany of missed opportunities and ridiculous storylines. But if it IS renewed hopefully the current train wreck will be redeemed. If anyone is watching by that point.

If we're lucky, it might be able to pull an O.C. and have a nice, short final season that basically redeemed the show even if it was barely watched.

On 3/24/2016 at 0:45 PM, kariyaki said:

I would bet they'd be pruning a few characters. Is it too much to hope that The Beverly would be first on the chopping block?

I have a feeling the Beverly was added to make musical performances cheaper to have on the show. I don't need to see the venue go, but I definitely could lose Cash & Frankie. Maybe they can just find a normal person to manage it. Bring back Rayna's sister without all the Drama, I liked her when she was not Drama prone. 

• Love 2
On 21 April 2016 at 7:20 AM, wonderwoman said:

God this industry is brutal....

Sure, have some new showrunners. Sure set up a writers room and start crafting new storylines for next season.  

PS we just won't pay you and we won't tell you we've probably already made the decision to cancel!  

brutal.

2 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

Sure, have some new showrunners. Sure set up a writers room and start crafting new storylines for next season.  

PS we just won't pay you and we won't tell you we've probably already made the decision to cancel! 

Who's not getting paid, other than the studios if the network doesn't pick it up?   The showrunners have a contract with Liongate, and I would assume any writers that are hired would be hired by and paid by the studio/production company... which according to the article are Lionsgate and ABC Studios.    Lionsgate and ABCStudios are likely footing the bill trying to improve chances of pickup... and they are the ones who will gain the most if they get the network to foot the bill for a fifth season which they can later sell in syndication.  

1 minute ago, AnnaRose said:

Who's not getting paid, other than the studios if the network doesn't pick it up?   The showrunners have a contract with Liongate, and I would assume any writers that are hired would be hired by and paid by the studio/production company... which according to the article are Lionsgate and ABC Studios.    Lionsgate and ABCStudios are likely footing the bill trying to improve chances of pickup... and they are the ones who will gain the most if they get the network to foot the bill for a fifth season which they can later sell in syndication.  

I wish I had your faith.  Perhaps Lionsgate is being straight up about this and are paying people to do the work but I refuse to believe ABC is remotely serious about renewing this show.

Whether or not Nashville gets any type of renewal, I assume, depends on whether ABC feels the series is profitable for them. I'm certainly no insider, but, apparently, Renewal decisions, are far more complicated, than just ratings.  If they weren't, we could all be network executives! 

With Nashville, syndication value, as well as money from music sales and tours, and compensation, from the State of Tennessee, and City of Nashville, are all factors.  

I wont be shocked, if the series is cancelled, but, I'm not without hope, for, maybe an abbreviated 5th Season. And, who knows, stranger things have happened than a full season 5 order. 

• Love 2

I really think there is potential for an abbreviated season to make it more appealing for syndication. I also wonder how the music & tour is profitable, if they are getting money from there, that could sway the decision.

But I do think it needs a little new blood in the writers room. The Maddie focus of this season really dragged down the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's been put out of it's misery.

'Nashville' Canceled By ABC After 4 Seasonshttp://deadline.com/2016/05/nashville-canceled-abc-4-seasons-1201754363/

There had been positive signs for a Season 5 renewal for Nashville, co-produced by Lionsgate TV and ABC Studios. Lionsgate TV stepped in to hire Emmy-winning writer-producers Marshall Herskovitz and Ed Zwick as new showrunners. They were already working with writers on breaking stories for next season.

Still, with Castle also on the bubble, coming off a highly rated episode on Monday, it was always a hard decision.

While not a strong ratings performer, the music drama has solid DVR bumps.Nashville also is a brand for ABC, with Nashville-themed TV music specials, soundtracks and tours. Just yesterday, ABC announced a high-profile VR digital extension for the show to go with the last three episodes of the season. Now they will be the music drama’s final installments, with the May 25 closer serving as series finale.

Edited by Artsda

I hope the show runners/ writers planned for this and they wrapped up stories . It would suck if they have cliffhangers and no closure. They had to know this was a probability.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I hope the show runners/ writers planned for this and they wrapped up stories . It would suck if they have cliffhangers and no closure. They had to know this was a probability.

No, they didn't. They filmed an alternate ending. That's all. Maybe 5 minutes will be different from their usual three-cliffhanger-trash.

I'm angry the show got cancelled before it could be put in more capable hands but I can't think of a more deserving cancelee than Dee Johnson. Good riddance.

• Love 3

I'm not really surprised(despite the headline on the EW article I read of the news saying it was a surprising cancellation). I'm sad, but..this season was a big clunker for me. I'm sad we won't get to see if this mess could have been fixed with new writers, though. 

• Love 3

Awww. I'm actually rather upset about this - despite all its flaws I still love the show and its characters. Damn you, new management at ABC and your we-need-more-procedurals approach to the tv season 16/17 *shakes fist*

If the vague spoiler I've read about

Spoiler

Juliette happens, I'll hate this show forever.

• Love 1

I was hopeful it was going to survive and make a turnaround next season.  I'm so disappointed they couldn't do much better for such a great cast.

I had a feeling things were bleak recently when there were some comments about the political climate in TN being problematic for those involved with the show. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I had a feeling things were bleak recently when there were some comments about the political climate in TN being problematic for those involved with the show. 

?

• Love 1

On 5/12/2016 at 7:21 PM, areca said:

?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tennessee-lgbt-counseling-law-chris-carmack-nashville-cmt-888445

'Nashville' Actor, CMT, GLAAD Respond to Tennessee Gov. Signing Anti-LGBT Counseling Bill

On Wednesday, Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam signed a bill allowing mental health counselors to refuse services to patients based on the counselor's "sincerely held principles." The bill was heavily criticized by many in Hollywood and the music industry ahead of Haslam signing it into law, and it continues to be denounced as discriminatory to LGBT individuals.

(edited)
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

Thanks for posting that.  If I was gay, I would rather have a counselor tell me that they wouldn't be a good fit for me because of their beliefs or whatever, instead of having to take me for fear of being sued if they didn't.  I used to be a massage therapist a long time ago, and some female therapists preferred to only work on women for various reasons... but I was taught that it could be problematic because it would be considered discrimination.  To me, it's better for everybody if people are upfront about who they feel comfortable working with in a therapeutic context.  Not every practitioner should work with every potential client. 

I know it's more about being angry at the underlying belief system, but personally, I would rather know and choose someone who could truly understand and support me.

Was Connie or anyone else threatening to refuse to work in TN, if they got another season, because of that?  I'm not sure I get how it was potentially affecting the show.

ETA: I did read that Connie said she was uncomfortable working in TN, but I thought I read that she outright refused to if it continued - like that the show would have to move production.  Am I dreaming that?

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 2
(edited)

I believe I would feel less peeved at the cancellation if we hadn't been fed the prospect of new show-runners. I was quite excited to see what transformations Zwick/Herskovitz could have implemented. This is actually the exact same kind of shit they've pulled with the plot lines that destroyed the show. Tease us with great moments then blow it to piecs.

The awesome chemistry that Juliette/Avery produced was a golden moment for the show, but noooooo, that lasted all of two seconds. Then Rayna & Deacon FINALLY cement their lifelong bond & have their perfect family & all's right with the most pivotal players, but hell nooooo, let's make a normally decent teenager turn her into The Bad Seed with shades of Carrie. Maybe we'll still get buckets of pig's blood before the finale.

This show also reminds me of that ABC series "Brothers & Sisters" - phenomenal cast (Sally Field, Matthew Rhys, Rachel Griffiths, Calista Flockhart, Rob Lowe)  with unlimited potential, but the writing was so preposterous that it quickly became unwatchable.

I will miss all my fellow posters here. We all liked the things that were really good & we all drove off the cliff together. 

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 9